Silence of The Giants

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 13, 2017

Another day of reprieve before it begins again….. It rubs the lotion on it’s skin or else it gets the hose again…..

Remember this exact time a year ago? On Sunday July 10th we peaked out at 24 games above .500. Think back and bask in the absurdity of that for a moment…..Ok done? Back to reality.

We started the second half in San Diego and that’s when the losing began. Bum shockingly lost that Friday night game 4-1. I was down in San Diego at the time but I was at the track with Diggity. I flew home Sat night and turned my phone on. Saw we had scored a run to go ahead 6-5 in the 10th and breathed a sigh of relief that we weren’t going to lose 2 in a row to the worst team in the NL. And then literally before the bus dropped my ass off in the long term parking lot fucking Casilla had blown everything to shit and we lost 7-6. Even though I didn’t see it live, looking back on it, that game marked the beginning of the end of Casilla as well as our reign of success in 2016.

And now we are back in San Diego under very different circumstances. Cueto is scheduled to go. The more I think about it the more I’m kinda hoping he sticks around. Seriously, why sell low on him? If you believe his underwhelming year is due to blister problems and that he should bounce back next year, wouldn’t we want to keep him? We’re up to our necks in Chris Strattons around here, a healthy Cueto might be very useful in 2018.

1. blade3colorado said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:56 am

The blister excuse seems legit. I’m down with him staying. As I think he’s worth more to us here versus a trade chip to city X. The problem is this though – he owes the Giants zero insofar as sincerity about staying or leaving. My concern is that we get jack shit, if he opts out of his contract. Question – does that qualifying offer thingy come into play where we get compensated a draft pick should he leave . . . Or, is that another scenario I’m thinking of???

2. willedav said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:05 am

mm could be. I still think pitching is key to competing. If you lose Cueto, makes it tougher to fill out rotation.
    On other hand if trading him could bring back Marisnick, I’m in. He can play CF and has enough pop to blast one out over CF fence in Mausoleum when Stros were in Oaktown earlier.

And CF is a big need defensively at ATT. Giants IF D is fine but OF is awful.
    Span is hitting well enough (.280 with .770 OPS) to stay for another year in LF like what they did with Pagan. But no more Gorkys. Evans needs to find a real CF and there’s only so many around that either don’t suck at the plate or aren’t available because SF can’t deliver enough prospects to get them.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:42 am

Spot on regarding Cueto. Selling low is a bad move and if he bounces back next year he doesn’t have the opt out making him more valuable to other teams. I’m sort of sad to see Casilla fall off the cliff the way he has. He was so good out of the pen for the Giants. I really liked him and his crazy wildman act.

What’s the deal with guys like Stratton? Are they jumped into the Bowker gang or that’s just for everyday players?

4. Macdog said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:43 am

Whoa, big trade in Chicago, Cubs send top 2 prospects and a couple others to White Sox for Quintana.

5. chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:44 am

I share Blade’s concern, as I truly think Cueto will opt out of his contract, and we’ll be left with not even the proverbial bag of balls. I do not see anything about compensation for the Giants if Cueto walks.

And think about it…Cueto has sucked this year at $15 mil. That number goes up to 21 mil for the next FIVE years. I still say try to work a deal with Houston for Derek Fisher. And yes, I do realize that they would also have to deal a top prospect and maybe another piece or two, but as snarkk likes to point out: “GET ME A DAMNED OUTFIELDER!” If Fisher is no bueno, then try to work a deal for Marisnick.

6. unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:47 am

Right. It ain’t about us wanting Cueto, it’s about him wanting out.

With Quintana off the table (the Stros wanted him) that gives the Boobster a little more ammo for a Cueto deal.

7. unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:54 am

Funny to read the MLB trader comment board. it mirrors the discussion earlier of how to win in this version of baseball. EG, the Giants model of studly pitching and scratching out runs vs winning with power.

8. snarkk said, on July 13, 2017 at 9:27 am

Trade Cueto. If he walks, maybe there’s a draft pick back? wTF is that worth? Squat. Get something now, and build…

9. Flavor said, on July 13, 2017 at 10:18 am

can you imagine what it would be like to have a farm system like this?

• snarkk said, on July 13, 2017 at 11:29 am

We should not have to dream it. Giants are swimming in cash, there is no good reason it’s farm system should not be top 10 in generating a constant slew of prospects. Instead, we hope in the offseason that the old, for farmhands, duo of Mac/Parker solves LF. And, we have to put up with Gorkys as a regular OFer – which is laughable. And when a guy with average capability shows up like Slater, it’s Saran Wrap time…

10. snarkk said, on July 13, 2017 at 11:39 am

Just saw the Cubs deal for Quintana. They gave up 4 prospects, including maybe their beat minor league OFer. Quintana is at half Cueto money. But the Guants couldn’t get two prospects for Cueto, including the OFer? Giants need to act soon before all the buyer demand is met..

11. Flavor said, on July 13, 2017 at 12:55 pm

really surprised the Cubs gave up that much for Quintana. If the Giants got anything close to that for Cueto we should saran wrap everything in sight. I’m still standing by the theory that Sabveans doesn’t know how to pull off a deal like this. We’ll see.

12. unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2017 at 12:55 pm

This may help on a deal with the Stros as they were looking at Quintana as well.

13. unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2017 at 1:11 pm

All those prospects don’t mean much in the grand scheme of things. But it is much better than having nothing. Is Beede even IN the top 100?

14. unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Thx for the list. But I’d hate to see our one OF star (Shaw) get traded and thrive somewhere else.

There may be a BIG housecleaning if this season craters even harder. Front office, scouting dept, coaches and manager . . .

15. Flavor said, on July 13, 2017 at 2:38 pm

listen to this fucking asshole:

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 13, 2017 at 3:19 pm

I don’t think we need this exchange to inform us that Marlins Man is a dbag. It confirms suspicions I guess.

• theroooster said, on July 13, 2017 at 4:34 pm

“He is excited. So are the nine Mermaids he’s bringing with him, he says. Mermaids is the name he’s given to women he finds attractive and brings to games, since that’s what the Marlins called their cheerleading squad until the team disbanded it in 2012.

“They’re all pretty, all athletic, all with big boobs, all wearing low-cut shirts like Miami, all showing cleavage, every one of ‘em,” he says, showing me a picture of previous Marlins cheerleaders. “You see a lot of ‘em look like Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. They’re showing cleavage.””
      He’s 60 years old with no wife, no children. He’s living off his inheritence, lonely and sad.

16. pawliekokonuts said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:02 pm

I’m reading rooooster’s post and thinking, shit, that could be me

17. pawliekokonuts said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Magnus, that’s a brilliant post up there. Really says it all.

• Flavor said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:36 pm

thanks PK. You have always been very kind to me and the things I write here.

18. djloo27 said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:20 pm

What a fine addition the Roooster has become here.
    Go Dodgers!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:47 pm

sometimes I really do laugh out loud

• willedav said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:58 pm

just don’t think anyone here was haunting Dodger blue blogs with Jazz Hands Uribe highlights in 2010.

• willedav said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:01 pm

giants provide quite enough misery without having to endure Cody Bellinger highlights.

19. pawliekokonuts said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:49 pm

I met a woman yesterday at B&N. We’ve been texting like teenagers today. She might be 20 years younger. I’m afraid to ask. Heck, maybe she can become Yankee Stadium Mystery Companion V 2.0.

• snarkk said, on July 13, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Hey, at least now you know she can read AND write, so you’re good to go !…

20. Flavor said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:56 pm

So today we learned that Loo has finally accepted Rooster and Pawlie might be close to getting laid again. All in all, A FABULOUS DAY!!!!!!!

21. djloo27 said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:19 pm

40 years ago tonight. Remember it well. Big fun!

22. willedav said, on July 13, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Last Year of the Rooster, 2005, NL pennant was won by Astros, of Berkman Biggio plus Oswalt Clemens Pettite, managed by Scrap Iron Phil Garner..
    They lost Series to Ozzie Guillen and White Sox.
    Be very cool to see Stros get back again!

• willedav said, on July 13, 2017 at 9:33 pm

2005 btw, Dodgers had one of their worst seasons ever on left coast, finishing 71-91 costing Jim Tracy his job.
      NL West won by San Diego at 82-80, managed by…you guessed it!

• snarkk said, on July 13, 2017 at 10:02 pm

And Juan Uribe was on that WSox WS winner.
      I miss Jazz Hands. Giants need some soul, some fire, some energy on this sad sack team…

• James said, on July 13, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Red pepper seems to work for Roosters.

• xoot said, on July 14, 2017 at 6:49 am

that piece on Bali was good. The style itself, the elaborate periodic prose, was almost as entertaining as the substantive cultural details (including the red pepper propelling the roosters).

23. snarkk said, on July 13, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Why do the Giants have just one kid in the top 100 rated minor league prospects?
    Not 3, not 2, just one. Even assuming that list is not an exact science, WTF?…

24. snarkk said, on July 13, 2017 at 10:09 pm

I just re-read material on this Quintana trade.
    Cubs gave up 4 minor leaguers, including the TOP 2 rated kids in the entire organization. The TOP 2. Plus two other kids lower than 20 in the org.
    The Giants couldn’t pull this off with Cueto and get just ONE of the top TWO? Come on, now. No belief in Giants management to work a deal that actually net net helps the Giants…

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2017 at 12:15 am

Flappers be like . . .

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2017 at 1:47 am

Fun fact: While the Giants have been in the basement at 64-98 from break to break, the Bums have gone 101-61 over the same period of time. The Sherpas are 87-78, the Snakes 84-77 and even the Padres are better at 68-93.

Bottom line? This isn’t a “lube & oil” job. Nope. We’re talking an engine rebuild here. Our fans aren’t stupid (I hope). This thing called the internet shows the standings and you have to scroll down a ways to find the Giants these days. Consequently, we need some reinforcements. Fans will fall in love with the new guys. In short, some of the “old” guys have to go.

25. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2017 at 7:42 am

Panda DFA’ed!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 14, 2017 at 3:34 pm

one of the worst signings in Bosox history