He’s Back!!!!!!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 20, 2017

….pending a physical. Oh. Uh. That could be a HUGE problem. Can you imagine Pablo taking a physical? “Run on the treadmill? Are you loco?????”

So until he makes it through the physical this is a long way from actually happening. And I’m all for it. Ryder Jones sucks, he’s just a classic lame honky. The Donger also sucks. Gillaspie: sucks. Everyone we have sucks.

And Pablo sucks too. But he would light up the rest of this season. He’s only 30. I am absolutely a believer in guys not being able to succeed in Boston or New York for whatever reason.

Do I think he’ll recapture the Panda magic? No. Maybe he fires up some old the old eating holes in town. I give him about a 12% chance of turning back into a solid major league hitter.

And I’ll take 12% over the “less than 12” guys like Ryder Jones will offer…..

1. snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:02 am

This could be a trial balloon by the Giants. They want to know the pulse of the fans on it. So far, from what I’m hearing on media, there’s a lot of fans that say “no bueno” on Panda coming back. Meanwhile, out from the Drumpf playbook, Giants “nation” is for a while talking about this BS, rather than how bad this team is…

• Lurker John said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:55 am

Judging by the number of empty seats the past few games the fan’s patience is nearing an end. The Sandoval decision is lame at best.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:03 am

I’m sort of surprised at the level of discontent regarding Sandoval. At best he’s found money, while at worst he’s minor league filler. I can agree with the argument that this even being a possibility is an indictment of the minor league system.

3. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:17 am

Since they can’t sell out the Park anymore Baer just wants to unload the rest of the Panda 🐼 hats in the “Raiders of the Ark” where house…

4. chipower9 said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:44 am

This season is such a fucking mess, I could give a fuck if they give Pablo a flyer. Low cost, with a very slight possibility of a payoff. Roll the Dice…

I am wondering when we’ll see Chris Shaw. Probably not until rosters expand.

He continues to play pretty damned good in Sac. Last month:

23 games, 83 AB, .325, .385, .590, .975 – 5 HRs and 12 RBI. Needs to be more selective: 30 Ks and 8 BB.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:53 am

Shaw isn’t on the 40 man roster so I wonder how much starting his clock is factoring into the decision. Plus he’s getting everyday at bats in Sac.

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:05 am

Agree, Dirt. I am sure this is why we have not seen him, but I will be very surprised if he isn’t up when rosters expand.

5. Flavor said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:48 am

something that doesn’t get enough run: Pablo is one of those guys who needs to feel the love from the fans. Boston hated him. It could really impact him if the fans showered him with affection the way they did back when he was going good. He did so much here. I could never dislike him. Make fun of him? Sure. But Sandoval is and always will be a great Giant. Come back and feel the love, big boy!!!!!!

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:57 am

I don’t see the love happening initially. He could help himself by doing a press conference and reaching out. What he said yesterday isn’t promising. “San Francisco is one of my options.” Not bursting with warmth.
      If he produces immediately he’ll be accepted. But the old love for Panda will be a work in progress.

6. Flavor said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:53 am

also, fuck Ryder Jones. There’s no one more honkier we have on the 40 man. If I don’t ever have to watch him play again it will be good times. Maybe they sneak him into a deal with Nunie.

7. Lurker John said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:53 am

My concerns about the competency of the Giants front office are now fully confirmed. How the fuck they think bringing Sandoval back in any way benefits the organization is beyond me. This does not give me hope that sound decisions will be made moving forward. This is not what they need. Evans needs to go bye-bye. Maybe the Dog-ears need a new GM.

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:59 am

Bochy weighed in this week with the company line: no big rebuild.

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:07 am

I think we have all known/suspected for some time, that there would not be a complete tear-down and rebuild at the end of this year. As many have said, expect to see a majority of these guys back next year.

• Lurker John said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:18 am

Yeah, but if this is the caliber of move that is going to made, bringing in a guy who does nothing to fix the team’s holes, we are fucked.

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2017 at 12:05 pm

LJ – I don’t see this possible flyer on Pablo as being part of the “get well plan” for the team. I see this as a low cost opportunity to see if this guy has anything in the tank, and can contribute. Just my opinion…

8. zumiee said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:04 am

People used to make fun of the young SABR-nerd GMs that were being hired by some teams. Well, now those are the GMs that are winning. The game has passed by the Sabeans/Evans and John Harts of the world, who were all great in their time. Even the Cardinals look rusted in that regard.

• Lurker John said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:20 am

You just made James’ day.

9. willedav said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:08 am

solid ml hitter? Um 3 yrs ago he was on downward trend toward barely average, with most offensive numbers in decline. Tremendous leap of faith to believe he’s any better than Nunez Gillaspie or anyone else currently manning 3b.

As Blade and many others here predicted, he completely tanked in Boston. Zero to do with fanbase–if he’d hit they would have been fine, ala Manny being Manny. Chase Headley sucked in SD/sucks in NY. Pablo was going downhill in SF/hit rock bottom in Boston.

10. chipower9 said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:09 am

LJ – I am with you on Booby. At the most, give him one more year to see if he can turn the ship around.

As I have said many times of late, I think one area that needs a hard look (and probably some changes) is the scouting department. They haven’t produced shit of late.

• Lurker John said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:21 am

Yes, scouting. The pipeline is close to bone dry. It all starts there.

11. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:47 am

I’m in the wait and see more regarding this season and Bochy. As is the brass most likely. The team hasn’t laid down rolled over and died, but they flat suck. That’s kudos to Bochy that he can keep the guys focused on the game and not the distraction of losing.

If the team plays decent and doesnt shit the bed amid finger pointing and animosity, then maybe Boch gets another year. Frankly though it’ll be a tough row to hoe for Bochy with the players here and in the pipeline. He may just say fuck it and sail off into the sunset.

The front office needs to do more than go whale watching for 3rd basemen.

12. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 11:31 am

I wonder if Bochy decides what he does based on the moves they make up to the trade deadline. If they do nothing, I’m sure he’ll say sayonara, vaya con dios, and adios motherfuckers.

13. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2017 at 11:40 am

Boch is just hanging on with career win total over losses, another year that blows chunks,and he would be under .500 career wise. If I’m him I would want to go into the HOF with a winning pct..

14. willedav said, on July 20, 2017 at 11:57 am

as someone on McC Chron blog said, it’s part of the rebuild…of.the 2014 team.

15. chipower9 said, on July 20, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Where in the hell has the Clown been of late. Have not seen him post for some time.

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Maybe Clown, Diggity, and Pawlie are the same person.
      Shit like that was rampant in the Splash days…

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Ah yes, the Splash daze…and Unca brings up our fave Splasher…Soph. Thank goodness Flav stood-up this place to rescue us from the throes of Splash hell…

16. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Don;t forget Sophrisyne

17. zumiee said, on July 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Giants fans thinking about next season….

18. snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Buster and Span came out to the scribes yesterday and said no team blow up necessary, they are close to being good. How nice. Orchestrated? Probably. Condition the fans from all sides for the underwhelming moves to come…

• Lurker John said, on July 20, 2017 at 1:25 pm

They’ll be a lot better if they dump Span.

19. Flavor said, on July 20, 2017 at 1:34 pm

signing Sandoval is definitely exposing the front office as paralyzed and not really sure how to fix this. I have said repeatedly that they won’t know how to be sellers and so far they’ve done nothing to prove me wrong. There’s still time I guess but I see nothing happening (except moving Nunie for very little) or we trade a guy like Belt or Panik and get hoodwinked on the return.
    Bringing back Sandoval is the simpleton approach to fixing this broken season.
    I just don’t see anything damaging about doing it. The damage has been done. Sandoval could make the fans feel good for a bit or maybe slightly more interested than they currently are in their phones. But at the end of the season we are going to be 40 games out of first place, with or without whatever The Panda does in SF……
    At the end of the day, this is still entertainment, and I’d be more entertained watching Panda hit than Ryder or Gillaspie

20. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Teams are looking at relievers with controllable years, but do they really want the human rain delay Gearrin? Strick definitely marketable, but I feel he still has the heat they need and should stay.Kontos could go in a deal, but for what?
    God we suck..

21. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Might as well get more of the gang back,
    Sergio Romo is now available with his 6.12 era.
    Have they called Timmy yet?
    Long reliever, spot starter, couldn’t be any worse…

• xoot said, on July 20, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Aubrey the Daft and B Wilson the knuckleball pitcher are available

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2017 at 6:17 pm

This was funny too. Good one Xoot!

22. OldSealsFan (@OldSealsFan) said, on July 20, 2017 at 4:01 pm

BF, I understand your tolerance for Sandoval but I think it’s misplaced. That guy dissed the Giants AND SF when he blew town. Then in Boston he kept chirping about how happy he was out of there. I don’t give a shit if he hits .500, he’s a fat toad with a bad attitude.

Is it blasphemy now days here to suggest that the phone park is part of the problem? We have been power short forever, and I think it’s because of the Park. Bring in the Cars 20 feet- -is that even possible?

• Flavor said, on July 20, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Sandoval is just a big kid. I didn’t expect him then and I don’t expect him now to say the right things. If he can still hit, and I think there’s a chance he can, I’m fine with seeing what happens. Unfortunately, I’m worried this is the only move the front office is set to make. And that’s not gonna cut it.

23. OldSealsFan (@OldSealsFan) said, on July 20, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Obviously, I meant that FAs with power shy away from Phone Park with LF fence as it is now. Leave the rest as it is except LF.

• Flavor said, on July 20, 2017 at 4:27 pm

they aren’t going to move the fences in. This isn’t Seattle or San Diego. Dimensions stay this way forever.

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Citifield has also been turned into a home run haven. After 18 seasons and 3 titles, I can’t see it happening, but triples alley is just stupid…

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 4:48 pm

LF and left center are fine. RF to CF is the death zone for power. A left handed power bat would be crazy to come to ATT…

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 4:56 pm

It would be less frustrating if they took advantage of idiotic “triples alley” but they don’t even do that…

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 5:04 pm

They also don’t seem to hit many off the big RF wall. If they did, I would’ve memorized the archway numbers by now…

• Flavor said, on July 20, 2017 at 5:23 pm

exactly. You could start talking about archway #2 or #5 or whatever, I’d just nod my head with glazed over eyes.

24. zumiee said, on July 20, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Romo is no-mo with the Dodgers.

25. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 6:10 pm

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    7. Pablo Sandoval (R-L) 3B
    8. Gorkys Hernandez (R) LF
    9. Madison Bumgarner (R) P

26. blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2017 at 6:14 pm

“Might as well get more of the gang back,
    Sergio Romo is now available with his 6.12 era.
    Have they called Timmy yet?
    Long reliever, spot starter, couldn’t be any worse…”

Surprised this didn’t get any love. AK, I’m still laughing. Almost choked on my breakfast Pho noodles. Good one! 😉

• alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Thanks Blade!
      Hey congrats 🎊 again to you&your wife and the new Giants baby who’s adorable!!

27. zumiee said, on July 20, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Bleak fact: Gorkys has won a starting job.

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 6:41 pm

I hear Rohand is available. He’s now up to 600 swings per day in the backyard cage…

• alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2017 at 6:49 pm

If he can hit it anywhere but his usual roll over the slider to 3rd like his new clone Hunter, I say keep the reunion coming!
        Maybe even get Pat Burrell out of bed banging chicks, for a tryout?

28. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Panda’s hardly a done deal per Amy…

29. blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Irony of all ironies – the Red Sox want the all knowing, all wonderful, fabulous . . . Nunie!

30. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Bonds and Kent did fine here. As do a lot of opponents. Pull hitters can hit a lot of home runs here.

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Span’s splash homer the other night measured only 375 feet…

31. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Belt. Jesus. Lead off double for naught.

32. chipower9 said, on July 20, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Span and Nunie – feed that trade fire…

33. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 8:47 pm

No shit.

34. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Jesus. Why? Nooner hurting his trade value. Stupid fuck.

35. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Blame it on the sliding oven mitt…

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2017 at 8:51 pm

No shit…looks like something you’d use to pull a pizza out of the oven.

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Are kids actually buying these things?
        Why not just learn how to slide properly?

• unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Or better yet, learn when to steal.

36. chipower9 said, on July 20, 2017 at 8:50 pm

I have no idea why, but thinking Giants take this series 3-1.

• alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Better start tomorrow on that prediction Chi..
      Man, Bum’s turning into a Smardz machine giving up 4 bombs in his 2 starts..

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:07 pm

I am hoping that is just rust from being off for several months.

37. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Belt and Posey are coming up with one out and Nunez tries to steal third? What kind of stupid is he?

38. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Sweeeeeet

• alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:16 pm

That’s a bad ass cup!
      Jack “The Ripper”Clark
      “Lights the Spark ⚡️ ”
      As Kruk annoyingly says:I gotta get that
      This time he would be right..

39. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Maybe they should move the fences back…

• alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Loo…Yeah even a stiff that has sand kicked in his face as a youth, has no problem launching a blast to the deepest part of the yard! Move em back!!lol

40. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:06 pm

That’s how you hold the lead.

41. snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Giants relative lack of HR pop against any opposition is a killer…

42. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Krukow goes 0 for 2 on his Morse facts.
    He did play last season (briefly) and he did not make the team out of Spring Training.
    Good job…

43. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:25 pm

I wonder if the cheapo Mets would give the Panda a look…

44. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Speaking of Cheapo’s,
    Why couldn’t “The Blob” just DH for Oakland?

45. snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Baggarly comments…

Can’t remember Hunter Pence’s last home run at AT&T Park? That’s because he hasn’t hit one here ALL YEAR (118 at-bats).
    Pence has hit the top of the ball 3 times tonight. Seems that’s all he does. He has 4 extra-base hits at home all season — all doubles.

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Tired of Pence too. He needs to quit his day job and commence his video career full time.

• xoot said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:57 pm

I think Pence is on pace to finish with OPS below .600

46. blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:50 pm

Going to say this now . . . If Bum puts 2 good starts together, TRADE his ass fast. I think Wilco was the first to say this, so props to him.

Too much mileage on that arm. Same deal with Posey. IMO, this is his last great (wasted) season. Wheels begin to fall off next season if he’s our catcher. Trade Belt or move him to left and plant Buster at 1st . . . Before it doesn’t matter.

47. xoot said, on July 20, 2017 at 9:56 pm

My younger son and I first saw Pablo live in late 2008. Pablo didn’t disappoint. One LD smacked the diving Pirates CF in the head and knocked him out of the game. Pablo’s drives made a remarkable sound–he hit the ball harder than everyone else. Maybe McCovey did so too, only louder, but still–in 2008 Pablo was exciting. So my kid bought a panda hat. He proudly included that hat in the pile of Giants hats he wore to school the day after the Giants beat Philadelphia to move on to the WS in 2010. My kid grew up quickly, though, and he stopped wearing that panda hat well before the 2012 heroics. By 2014 it wasn’t even a relic on the Giants shelf in the front room. I finally found it buried under a pile of stuff when I was moving this Spring. For a moment, I enjoyed some memories, and then without a care I threw it out. (I did, however, hang onto the Sandoval autographed baseball one of my son’s teachers gave him as a middle-school graduation gift. Balance is everything.)

If Pablo comes back to the Giants via Sacramento, that’s fine with me. Best to him. Worst that he can do is revive some good memories if he plays some games at China Basin. At this moment, I don’t know what I’m going think about the fans, and you know there will be some, who show up wearing old panda hats. After all, as BF said, Pablo was a great Giant.

• James said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:08 pm

30 years from now, he’ll miss that hat!

• xoot said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:13 pm

naw, he’ll be happy without possessions, living in four or five tiny houses scattered around the world, avoiding the floods caused by implacably rising sea levels

48. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:00 pm

What happened to the ‘if we don’;t see it in a minute we revert to the call on the field’ rule? This shit takes way too long.

49. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Bummie’s HR totals given up were high before he got hurt.

50. mrsprtdude said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm

I think Craig hit the nail on the head. Brass is paralyzed because they have no idea how or what risks to take to rebuild. Anyone who has played fantasy baseball knows how to rebuild. You have to have courage to make some moves. Trade valuable pieces for multiple pieces you perceive ( hope) will have more value in the future. Make multiple moves and hope more than most work out. They can’t and won’t. Not to say it is easy, but don’t you have to try?
    …I can here it the rest of the way…”We feel like we have solid nucleus of veteran players the will compete”…

51. xoot said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:16 pm

another dispiriting game in a dismal season

52. zumiee said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:18 pm

The Dodgers lost. That’s……something.

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Yeah, over their last 36, they’re now 31-5 instead of 32-4 ?…

53. Macdog said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Jeez, maybe they should bring Timmy back just to pitch against the Padres.

54. snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:26 pm

You know it’s circus time when Kuiper goes out of the radio booth into the upper deck, during the game, to give a guy a signed baseball…

55. snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:30 pm

I would trade Bum, Posey, anybody, everybody.
    If they keep Bum, and give him an even more expensive deal than Cain, the same thing will happen. 3-4 seasons of suckage from a worn out arm. Time to deal everybody like the White Sox, and get a passel of bodies for the mid and high minors…

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:40 pm

What you said.

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:44 pm

Would you trade Bum, Posey and Belt to the Braves for Freeman, Tehran and a good prospect?

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 11:02 pm

NO, not enough

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 11:03 pm

I’d want all prospects, all. Giants farm system is crap in the high minors, and you can’t count on anybody in the low minors working out…

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Yes Loo. Salary reduction going forward and an underappreciated Tehran, along with a prospect and still all star stud like Freeman, makes this an easy deal for me to support.

56. Macdog said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:34 pm

What a wonderful post by Xoot at 9:56.

57. snarkk said, on July 20, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Ho hum, another routine loss.
    We are witnessing what may be the absolute worst team in SF Giants history. That counts for something…

58. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2017 at 11:02 pm

I believe the Panda will be heading elsewhere…

59. willedav said, on July 21, 2017 at 7:09 am

Even in a lost season, lot for Evans to sort out—player options, Cueto, yada yada.
    You would think when your team is looking up at the Padres and they are kicking your ass (7 out of 10?) even with Bum, that would prompt sense of urgency. And cause you not to worry about “undervaluing” what you have. The healthy vets are in LU dang near everyday and the scrubini one won the Wed game vs. Tribe..

60. willedav said, on July 21, 2017 at 8:05 am

checked on minors…Stratton pitched pretty well (2 runs 7 innings) in start vs. Pads AAA team, but pen blew hit after he left, Law one of culprits. Came in with 2 on and gave up double single walk and WP. Ouch
    Parker has 1 HR in 74 ABs, so apparently shoulder is still bothering him, batting .257.

But come on…Pads AAA team is basically the Pads ml team this year. And for a year now they have owned the Giants, 15-5.