Nunie, We Hardly Nu Ya

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 26, 2017

Well, the trade season is unfolding about as predictably as we had thought. Nunie was the guy who was most likely to go and…..he gone. We got back two pitchers who I started doing some research on this morning and then I just stopped. Not interesting. One of them went to U of Florida, one of them is a 17 year old, neither will help our team in the next couple of years.

Nunie was never going to bring much and that’s about the haul I was expecting. Now things get interesting. I have long felt that Evans et al. overvalue the core guys so even if they are considering trading them they’ll never be able to put something together. But in a lost season, that’s about all that’s left to hold my interest.

Panik, Crawford, Belt, Span and Pence. Do any of them go? My guess is no.

1. willedav said, on July 26, 2017 at 7:08 am

Hey woke up this morning thinking about trivia for who hit into TP last AB Dodgers C who might have caught at Ebbetts Field/been on Mets and guessed Norm Sherry at end of last thread. Did SD text you the answer? Loo said something about SFG connection so don’t know if that fits.

So many players cycled through Mets once expansion started. For ex-Dodgers I remember Charley Neal and didn’t Duke Snider end up there as well?

• willedav said, on July 26, 2017 at 7:10 am

what I read about nunez was he just had a stinger from getting beaned, no big deal.
      As you expected he wasn’t bringing back more than low mid level prospects but glad they got pitching on radar.

• Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 7:10 am

he did text me and that was not the guy.

2. Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 7:15 am

i would say, feel free to keep guessing. Only a couple of you guys have a chance on getting this right, limiting it to one guess would slow the game down. And maybe Loo and Diggity could kick down a couple more clues.

3. djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 7:39 am

Hints: He played a few games for the ’62 Giants and his much younger cousin with a different last name pitched well as a Giant rookie before being traded…

4. willedav said, on July 26, 2017 at 7:45 am

Timing of trade is a little weird due to something Bochy mentioned—Giants go to LA for the weekend and will face LHPs down there, so 3b options limited to Gillaspie and Specs I guess with Hwang just sent down to Sac.

Maybe I have completely wrong idea from the hint too—“caught last innings of last game at Ebbetts Field” doesn’t of course have to be a former Dodger. ’59 when LA won Series is about when I first started watching baseball/reading about it.

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 7:53 am

He was a Dodger in that final game in Brooklyn and did appear in the ’59 series. The first syllable of his last name is an animal. I was stunned when the Giants traded his cousin after a very promising rookie year…

• sandog said, on July 26, 2017 at 7:53 am

He is a former Dodger. Norm Sherry was a solid guess. This guy has a very Italian last name.

5. Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 7:57 am

• sandog said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:00 am

Nunie is a trip.You can see at times why the Yankees felt he might capably succeed Jeter. Then you would see why they eventually DFA’d his ass.

6. djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 7:59 am

Nunie was basically given away. I guess they had no choice. He would have been much more valuable as part of a package with Cueto or Smardj if either was healthy and pitching well – but it wasn’t in the cards…

• Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:01 am

absolutely. Same with Strick.

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:11 am

Yeah, they’re both good pot sweeteners but not much on their own…

7. sandog said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:02 am

I don’t think anyone else gets traded. But if I had to pick one guy on that list most likely to go, sadly it would be My Man Span.

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:04 am

Kontos gets my vote for MLTG…

• sandog said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:09 am

Sorry for hijacking your Trivia question Loo. I just hate to see a good trivia question go to waste.
        Kind of like when Swan picked up that flower in the subway during The Warriors!

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:14 am

Hey, I’m glad it got a little attention. I think the easier way to solve it is through the cousin who most of us remember…

• sandog said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:20 am

Somewhere I have a great photo of this mysterious cousin and Montefusco yucking it up. They look like the 2 happiest guys on the planet.
        Cuz was traded for a slick fielding 3B, who I think may have even been Rookie of the Year for the Cards? Maybe not, but a promising young player who didnt do much for SF and I think was out of baseball before too long.

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:08 am

Span has had a nice season. I think he is being picked on a little too much for his defensive shortcomings…

• sandog said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:12 am

I actually think you and the other Span haters have been pretty quiet this year. It has been obvious for a while that he ain’t real high on our list of problems.

• willedav said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:25 am

since June he’s been a pretty good hitter and raised BA and OPS to respectable levels, not something you can say about too many Giants except for the guy they just traded. Still say best scenario is find a CF who can hit and let Span play LF for a year if he’s still around.

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:31 am

I’m starting to think the Giants are looking at Gorkys as a keeper.
        Scary…

8. chipower9 said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:17 am

Man, I was dog-ass tired yesterday. Had a rehab appointment for my knee in the afternoon, and took my dog to a trainings session at 6. Got home and watched a couple of innings (Panik’s triple was the last highlight I saw).

And this is news to me on Nunie, but not surprising news.

I do not think anyone else gets traded. I just don’t see any of the guys bringing back much, and why the hell would you weaken the strength of your team (IF defense) to “hopefully” address other short-comings (rhetorical question).

I still wish they would somehow, some way move Cueto and snag a young OF prospect from Houston, but that shit is probably not happening.

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:25 am

Chi, your dog must be able to cook a 6 course meal and vacuum the living room by now…

• Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:30 am

lol solid gold

• chipower9 said, on July 26, 2017 at 9:09 am

LMAO…that’s good, Loo! No, but I WISH he could vacuum…that bastard sheds like a son-of-a-bitch. But, he CAN hunt rats like nobodies business (this was a regular barn hunt training session)! I handle almost all of the cooking at our joint, so we are covered there. 😉

9. Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:23 am

i really think the guy who has the most value in a trade right now is Panik just because he is controllable and costs little and he is a legit starting mlb 2nd baseman. But I doubt he gets traded either.

• chipower9 said, on July 26, 2017 at 9:10 am

No way he brings a solid OFer…probably only prospects, so to me it would be foolish to trade him and weaken our IF defense…

10. Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:42 am

Gorks is tolerable as a 4th/5th OF. The problem is if they are looking at him as a starter and if that’s actually happening there is no hope for this team. Management will have completely lost their way.

11. snarkk said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:43 am

So, how’d this trade go down? The Bosox sent Evans a list of 10 unknown single A and developmental kids and said “take any two”? While he was still throwing the darts, Nunie is still in the game and gets hit on the elbow…

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:54 am

On board with Sandawg’s take on Nunez. You can see the talent but the bonehead plays had to have Bochy doing a slow burn. Add in the glass-Sanchez type health issues and it’s not hard to see why he is gone.

Regarding Span, he has generally performed well at the dish but the defense is just not there. Fun fact, he is one of two qualified center fielders in baseball without an assist this year.

13. unca_chuck said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:16 am

Gorky is tolerable on anyone else’s team. Shakey defense and little pop off the bench. I’m sick of the guy. We couldn’t pry a middling OFer prospect from Boston?

• snarkk said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:24 am

Exactly, Chuck. Boston farts away OF prospects with better potential than Gorkys…

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:47 am

They’re probably hoping Gorky will suddenly develop into the fleetingly good version of Andres Torres…

• unca_chuck said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:53 am

Shit, I’d take Marvin Benard.

• alleykat69 said, on July 26, 2017 at 11:39 am

Just a little taller hydrant..

14. alleykat69 said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:49 am

So the latest inspirational move coming our way, Giants are bringing up Carlos Moncrieff OF Lefthanded hitter like we need that..
    No relation to Sydney, a 28 year old rook who’s never been to the show WTF is wrong with this team besides everything!!!

15. chipower9 said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:53 am

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    7. Conor Gillaspie (L) 3B
    8. Gorkys Hernandez (R) LF
    9. Jeff Samardzija (R) P

16. chipower9 said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:54 am

With the exception of 3B (and SP), today’s LU could very well be your opening day line-up in 2018…

17. unca_chuck said, on July 26, 2017 at 11:09 am

The guy that has the most trade value is Bummie. He isn’t going anywhere though.

Ahh we play a day game . . . wish i could sneak out and go . . . too many meetings

18. OldSealsFan (@OldSealsFan) said, on July 26, 2017 at 11:57 am

How is it possible that team after team brings up a phenom and has fans excited (whether or not he sticks) and the Giants can’t find an OFr that moves Gorkys out of the lineup and raises our heart beeps by an extra beat or two a minute? I would think that a team like the Giants would have their feelers out continuously and we would never be in this situation. Somebody(s) is not doing their job. I don’t know from Evans. Is he as bad as it seems?
    One big reason I don’t watch anymore is there is no one exciting anymore.
    Imagine a lineup that has Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, Kirkland, Alou, Davenport all at the same time. I guess I got spoiled. Just think, the Giants had consecutive (imagine this) ROYs in Cepeda and McCovey!
    Where have we gone wrong?!!

• zumiee said, on July 26, 2017 at 12:05 pm

We realized that championships are won with pitching, and that worked extremely well. The biggest problem the Giants have right now is bad pitching. The lineup isn’t great either, I agree.

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 12:08 pm

All those guys and many other outstanding players combined to win nothing in San Francisco, Seal.
      I get your point about the mess we’re in now, but were you paying attention the past 7 years?

• Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 12:11 pm

You and Zumiee handled that nonsensical, stoney-ass 11:57am perfectly.

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 12:28 pm

I try to make you proud…

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 12:13 pm

BTW, McCovey only won ROY because the deserving winner, the late, great Vada Pinson, had slightly exceeded the PA maximum to qualify…

19. Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 12:33 pm

can you imagine “potato chips” Schulman taking time away from discarding crumbs to fight a Dodger beat writer?

20. Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Bowker Gang member Ryder more excited than we are about this move:

21. zumiee said, on July 26, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Amy G said Nunez was an impact-player with the Giants. Really? He was with the team from last July to this July. What’s the Giants’ record over that stretch? Because of injury he only had 3 ABs in the playoffs last year. Game-face did well in replacement.
    Words need to mean something. “Impact-player” needs to mean something.

• chipower9 said, on July 26, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Whatdya expect from an over-rated bimbo???

• unca_chuck said, on July 26, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Maybe Nooner ran into a wall on his way out of here last night.

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 26, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Yeah, zum , I don’t get all the Nunuez nostalgia either. All’s he’s been is a good player on a bad team.

23. unca_chuck said, on July 26, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Ryder Jones extolling the virtues of Carlos Moncrief is like Deivi Cruz singing the praises of Tony Torcado.

24. unca_chuck said, on July 26, 2017 at 2:55 pm

What was that? Pittsburgh’s defense isn’t all its cracked up to be.

25. Macdog said, on July 26, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Marte’s PEDs apparently don’t improve vision.

26. unca_chuck said, on July 26, 2017 at 3:25 pm

• Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 4:25 pm

We gotta get Stix back…..

27. Macdog said, on July 26, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Two in a row!

28. unca_chuck said, on July 26, 2017 at 3:27 pm

5 out of 6 over the Pirates. The Pittsburgh announcers aren’t very happy about that.

29. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 26, 2017 at 3:27 pm

30. Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 4:25 pm

in the category of things I was most wrong about this season:

31. gianthead said, on July 26, 2017 at 5:45 pm

When you start hearing of other players om the pptential trade market like Duda or Asdrubel Cabrera…they seem to have much more “value” than whatbwr have to offer. Why trade for Belt and that contract when you can land a short-term fix like Duda?

Pence shockingly has really no value on the open market…too bad he has cone down to earth so hard.

• Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Duda would be horrible for us. No more semi-LH power hitters. NO MORE. It doesn’t work. Duda is not strong enough to bang them over one of those arch ways on a regular basis. He’d be worse than Belt.

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 6:26 pm

I guess most teams look for rentals/expiring contracts this time of year…

32. Flavor said, on July 26, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Interesting….you know, the Giants hand out no-trade clauses like candy, I wonder if they are going get off this approach in the future and do this a little more conservatively.

• snarkk said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Why would you NOT want to be traded to a better team with even just a decent playoff shot, instead of staying with this POS outfit == especially since you get the same amount of money, and probably in a lower tax state?…

33. djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Trivia answer:

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:06 pm

And his cousin:

• zumiee said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Well, I remember Falcone.

34. snarkk said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Giants regular hitters are heavily LHed. Not good. Since SF will have a high position in the next draft, they should do the right thing and draft RH pop, and LH speed. Crawford said the other day in a Pleasanton little league setting that the ballpark was too big. It is if you’re LHed and your last name is not Bonds…

35. snarkk said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Is there a catcher anywhere in the Giants minors that is even a possible prospect to get to the majors?…

36. willedav said, on July 26, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Loo thx for the Vada Pinson card, one of my early heroes. Good hitter good CF blazing speed and some power.
    One of Oakland’s own just like teammate Frank Robinson. Loved that ’61 team of Reds.

• djloo27 said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Dig the name under the number on the back of the uniform…

37. zumiee said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Casilla blew his 9th save tonight.

• snarkk said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Have the Giants had even 9 save situations to blow?…

• zumiee said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Doesn’t seem like it.

38. zumiee said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:42 pm

It’s been a struggle for the Dodgers since Kershaw got injured. They’re only 5-0 since it happened.

• theroooster said, on July 26, 2017 at 10:45 pm

Yeah, zoom. Was incredible all the fools on the Dodgers blogs crying doom and gloom. Idiots.

• unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2017 at 7:59 am

The good thing is Kershaw will again be rested for his ultimate playoff floppage.

• James said, on July 26, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Same as last year. Kershaw has been worth about 5 WAR so far. That means if he doesn’t come back this year, and they have a scrub taking his starts, LA will win about 3 fewer games the rest of the way as a result.