Way Off

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 27, 2017

Top 3 things I was wrong about this year:

1. Matt Moore. I thought he would be a solid #2. He’s been awful, one of the worst pitchers in the league.
  2. Mark Melancon. No, I don’t miss Santiago Casilla, who sucks. And I didn’t think Melancon would be good for 4 years, I had strongly hoped for 2. But he was awful from the git-go. And I don’t even really know how injured he is. He pitched like a guy who needed surgery but that apparently was never considered or needed. This fucking guy had 51 saves in 2015, 47 saves last year. How do you go from THAT to being completely worthless?????
  3. Sam Dyson. He’s been very good. I thought he was a head case and maybe he is, he just needed a change of scenery.

In fact, “head case” could be a theme for all 3 of the things I was wrong about this year.

What were you most wrong about when considering 2017? Feel free to list non-baseball examples. 🙂 🙂 🙂

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 27, 2017 at 10:26 am

I thought Pence would have a nice bounce back year, Law would be dominant and Parker sucked so I am 1 for 3 on the baseball side. Non-baseball? I’m wrong about lots of stuff on a daily basis so there’s no point in listing it all.

2. Flavor said, on July 27, 2017 at 10:29 am

the Giants have hit 4 home runs since the all star break. The Nats have hit 6 home runs THIS MORNING and it’s not even 10:30am here yet.

3. chipower9 said, on July 27, 2017 at 10:29 am

I was wrong on Melancon, too. He was not my first choice for a closer, but I thought he would be a far sight better than what we have seen to date.

Swing and miss on Moore, too. I really expected more too, Flav.

Fuck, I am with you on the trifecta…Dyson has been one of the few positives of this shit season.

I was wrong when I thought trump would be lousy as a president. He flat-out sucks huge hairy gorilla balls.

4. Flavor said, on July 27, 2017 at 10:36 am

Nat HR Counter: they just hit their 7th today. Reminder: We have 4 since the all star break. #weareslow #weareweak

5. xoot said, on July 27, 2017 at 10:41 am

I thought the stock market would tank by now and I definitely did not anticipate the return of Pablo Sandoval. DJLoo often suggested the move and I disbelieved. Tuesday night Pablo was 1 for 3 with a double in Sacramento. Apparently he made some plays at 3B. After taking BP, however, he had to shed his number 48 jersey–the only one the equipment manager had, I suppose–because it was too tight. He wore 47 in the game.

• Flavor said, on July 27, 2017 at 10:44 am

great point on Loo sticking to that call. That was a 40-1 shot

6. Flavor said, on July 27, 2017 at 10:43 am

Nats HR Counter: 8. It’s not 11am here yet.

7. alleykat69 said, on July 27, 2017 at 10:43 am

Think a lot of us were wrong with Moore.
    I really thought it was going to great to have 3 lefties facing the Dogpile this year who struggle against them, And that of course was going to be Bum,Moore& Blach who has still pitched damm solid imo as basically a Rook, and shutdown the Dogpile last year in that start in LA,But of course the orq was still gonna be hell bent to keep Cain in as a starter which were just gonna sadly watch implode more till the end of the year..Just another of many bad decisions they have made..

• theroooster said, on July 27, 2017 at 11:45 am

The Dodgers struggling against lefties is so last year. Even ESPN was perpetuating the myth not long ago. They are actually doing SLIGHTLY better against lefties than righties this season :

Lefties : 50 HR, .261 BA, .347 OBP, .478 SLG, .825 OPS
      Righties: 98 HR, .259 BA, .342 OBP, .448 SLG, .789 OPS

8. Flavor said, on July 27, 2017 at 10:44 am

mlb record is 10. Nats have 8. It’s the 4th inning.

9. djloo27 said, on July 27, 2017 at 10:58 am

More possible Loo brilliance:

A Yankee fan just told me he’s hearing whispers about a package that would include Cueto and Ellsbury…

• Flavor said, on July 27, 2017 at 11:03 am

that would put you way over the top.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 27, 2017 at 11:35 am

Oh, man. Look at the similar players through 32 at baseball reference. This is practically a done deal!

1.Steve Finley (961.6)
      2. Roberto Kelly (957.6)
      3. Shane Victorino (955.1)
      4. Coco Crisp (955.0)
      5. Randy Winn (952.6)
      6. David DeJesus (946.4)
      7. Tony Gonzalez (943.1)
      8. Lenny Dykstra (938.3)
      9. Jose Cruz (929.8)
      10. Cleon Jones (926.4)

10. theroooster said, on July 27, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Things I missed? No way I saw the NL Central being as bad as they are as a whole. Even the Cubs, although they’ve started playing better, would be a 4th place team in the West. Didn’t think I’d see 3 teams from the West all make the playoffs and the Giants not be one of them.Yeah, I know, hasn’t happened yet, and Rocks could still sink farther, but sure looking like it’ll happen.

Non-baseball related? Agree with both Chi and xoot re. trump and stock market. I also thought the market was going to take a big hit and although I knew it would be bad, the daily embarrassment of our country’s “leader” goes far beyond anything I ever imagined.
    The dumbing down of America has reached depths I never thought possible.

11. willedav said, on July 27, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Wrong? Gad almost everything.
    Didn’t figure either Rox or AZ to have this kind of record, strongly in position for WC.
    Giants? Belt first, whom I expected to be better than last year.
    Also SPs esp Moore and Cueto.
    Law out of the pen, who is struggling to get AAA guys out. Ugh.
    LF and bench guys such as Mac/parker but also Hill and Gameface–either hurt/unproductive esp for power.

Cautiously optimistic Giants could hang with LA at start of season–you can’t be more wrong about that and wonder how far in future that scenario will next occur.

12. unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Moore definitely. I thought Pence, Belt, and Crawfish would be doing worlds better than they are. I thought Melancon would have around 18 saves by the break. I didn’t think Bummie would pull a Jeff Kent.

I thought we would be buyers, not sellers.

I thought Trump would be impeached by now.

I didn’t think shit could get worse than it did in 2016.

13. willedav said, on July 27, 2017 at 12:53 pm

I will say this tho—while there are noticeable rough edges, Nunez played a lot better than I thought.
    So has Strick who seems to have much improved off speed stuff.
    Span, at .280/.780 OPS, isn’t near as bad at the plate as most here would have thought either. there were some pretty dire predictions about him in a poll long time ago, with SD being closest to results so far.

Other than that, no one has gone out and exceeded expectations except for the brief ml career of Slater and many have been way worse.

14. unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Blach has been a pleasant surprise. Not spectacular but he’s doing well for a 5th round flier.

15. zumiee said, on July 27, 2017 at 1:04 pm

I picked Bumgarner to win 20 games this season.

• Flavor said, on July 27, 2017 at 2:27 pm

hahahaha! That’s the best one so far.

16. zumiee said, on July 27, 2017 at 1:14 pm

The banks and oil are fueling the stock market lately. They’re expecting lots of deregulation. Deregulation brought about the financial crisis of ’08.
    Stay tuned.

• xoot said, on July 27, 2017 at 2:29 pm

the high-tech fueled NASDAQ has been leading the way all year. If deregulation of oil and finance and cetera comes (and it will) it will take a while to corrupt things. The subprime mortgage derivatives that brought down the the market in 2008 were made possible by deregulation of derivatives that occurred around 2000.

17. wilcojoe said, on July 27, 2017 at 3:08 pm

I gave in and signed up on Twitter last night. My first venture into social media. I only have six followers but one of them is Jason Isbell. Zum and a couple others here may know who that is. I thought that was pretty cool.

• zumiee said, on July 27, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Jason is a cool dude. I’ve been a fan ever since his days in the Drive-By Truckers. And I like that he takes strong stands on progressive social issues, as does Patterson Hood and the other Drive-By Truckers.
      I saw Jason with the Truckers blow the roof off the Fillmore for three hours several years ago. Opening act was Son Volt, who played for about an hour.
      Four hours total of rockin’ great music. Fortunately we had seats in the balcony, and weren’t having to stand on the ground floor. 🙂

• wilcojoe said, on July 27, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Yeah I was at that tour when they stopped in Austin. I believe Jason left the band not long after. The Truckers were amazing when Jason was still in the band and they were playing much smaller venues. Those three electric guitars, man that was some good stuff.

18. wilcojoe said, on July 27, 2017 at 4:13 pm

I haven’t reached that age where I am relegated to the balcony quite yet. 😉 It’s still general admission on the floor for me. Don’t know for how much longer, though.

19. unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Jason isbell was on the Colbert show a few weeks ago . Played some great stuff from his new album. Funny we saw the revivalists at the Fillmore and anDavid Bowie cover band a couple weeks before that. I hadn’t been there since I saw That Petrol Emotion there in 1982. (?).

• zumiee said, on July 27, 2017 at 5:41 pm

The old place is still going on. And still giving out free apples in the lobby. And often a free poster for everyone on the way out.

20. Flavor said, on July 27, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Wilco what is your twitter handle

21. Flavor said, on July 27, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Scaramucci is the best thing to happen to twitter since I got on twitter. Follow him. He’s hilariously idiotic.

• willedav said, on July 27, 2017 at 7:32 pm

fits like a glove with the people he represents.

• theroooster said, on July 27, 2017 at 8:26 pm

“The clash between Mr. Scaramucci and Mr. Priebus offers a case study in how the Trump White House operates, a conflict divorced from facts, untethered from the basics of how government works, enabled by the lack of any organizational structure and driven by ambition, fear, animosity and envy.”
        Yep, he hires “the best people”… Scaramucci right up there with Michael Flynn, Paul Manafort and Carter Page.

22. djloo27 said, on July 27, 2017 at 8:36 pm

James K. Polk was seriously underrated…

• zumiee said, on July 27, 2017 at 9:07 pm

I’m not a Polk fan, but I’ll give him this:
      He said what he was going to do if elected.
      He got elected and did it.
      He served only one term and walked away.
      He died shortly after that.
      It’s like he did the ultimate microphone drop.

• theroooster said, on July 27, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Agree, Loo Trump should take his advice :
      “I cannot, whilst President of the United States, descend to enter into a newspaper controversy.”
      — James K. Polk

• xoot said, on July 27, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Herman Melville’s big brother Gansevoort (yeah, that’s right) was a HUGE Polk supporter, campaigned endlessly for Polk. Herman, I think, took note but ultimately wasn’t impressed, with either.

23. zumiee said, on July 27, 2017 at 9:02 pm

How’s this for insanity?:

“Lindsey Graham says GOP bill is “a fraud…terrible policy and horrible politics” — but will vote for it if it doesn’t become law.”

24. zumiee said, on July 27, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Speaking of insanity…..stupid walk-off celebrations. In the Yankees’ celebration tonight, Aaron Judge broke a tooth.

25. snarkk said, on July 27, 2017 at 9:56 pm

I was wrong about the Republicans in Congress. Before Drumpf took office I thought they were bereft of principles. No. Their principle is strong and clear; to steal as much money as possible from most of us to give to themselves and their rich benefactors.
    I said that LA would win the division. And, that SF would be a WC — looks like I was running way off base, like Belt, on that one…

26. zumiee said, on July 27, 2017 at 10:58 pm

John McCain! He lived up to his fiery words the other day. That was an actual dramatic moment tonight. Well, as much drama as you’re going to see with C-Span cameras.

27. mrsprtdude said, on July 27, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Wrong? Everything. Has ONE player on the ENTIRE team had a better year than predicted or expected? Posey ave is good but power lacking. He has been ok. Every starter, every infielder, every outfielder has performed below expectations. The ONLY guy who played better than his average year is Nunie! 1/25 players. CRAZY