Big Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 2, 2017

After last night’s rousing thrashing of the A’s I had renewed confidence to check the standings for the first time in nearly a month. Big mistake. 35 games back. WOW! It’s too bad baseball isn’t like NBA or NFL where you can tank and get a stud draft pick that can help immediately. Instead of tank, the Giants just laugh all the way to the bank.

MLB wins for a single season, as you probably know, is Seattle with 116 in 2001. With the Art Dealers at 75-31 that record is definitely in play for them. I hope they get there. Fun Fact: The Mariners didn’t make it to the World Series in 2001.

Matty Moore Wednesday. Now that all the pressure is completely off him he might make a serious run the rest of the season. If that happens, I declare him to be Mike Leake….

1. chipower9 said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:51 am

It just remains really hard to justify spending three hours watching this team, especially on week nights, when I get up at 4:45 in the morning. I did see Belt’s bomb last night to make it like 7-2, and cashed-in my chips at that time.

I am at the point of no expectations and definite lack of interest. Just get this year over with and hope like hell the front office can make some moves during the off-season towards making this team competitive, again.

xoot sent me an email with the latest government brief in Stix’s case. Sounds like the feds are pushing for an enhanced sentence that could be in excess of 10 years. Stix’s lawyers will file a response brief in about two weeks. Doesn’t look good for our guy.

• Flavor said, on August 2, 2017 at 8:11 am

That sux. I’m sitting on a highway in Idaho behind roadwork doing a slow burn. Should prolly appreciate life a little more

2. alleykat69 said, on August 2, 2017 at 8:19 am

Dogpile went 20-3 in July,just insane great ball.
    Adding Darvish as a number 2 for the playoffs is really all they needed. But fuck them, they will find away like Seattle did to choke in the end..

3. unca_chuck said, on August 2, 2017 at 9:45 am

Got a return letter from Stix and he said he was looking at 10 years on just one of the 3 charges. Totally stinks. He had a pretty good screed about the government, but he has a lot to say about the Giants, in fact he pretty much covers the same topics we cover in that he didn’t think there would be much trade activity by the team, and that this is turning into a shit year.

He said he would really like to see minor league stats of the Giants farm teams. I was going to throw something together for him tomorrow.

I can post the letter if y’all’d like. It would be tomorrow.

4. gianthead said, on August 2, 2017 at 4:04 pm

I’m counting the days to the signing of the Japanese Babe Ruth….

5. James said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:09 pm

The number of Flap comments parallels the crowd size.

• djloo27 said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:17 pm

“Flapathy” may be setting in – at least till the Panda returns.
      Parker back this weekend…

• Flavor said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:24 pm

i saw a random text while I was driving back home today that said someone saw Panda in SF. Anyone else confirm he’s back in SF?

• Flavor said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:25 pm

ps, I’m still not home till tomorrow.

• djloo27 said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:29 pm

He was seen in town but he’s hitting the road with Sacramento according to Yahoo article…

• alleykat69 said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Last I heard Panda was taking on Joey Chestnut in a undetermined location for a hot dog 🌭 challenge. Loser has to play for the Giants ..

• xoot said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:36 pm

he’s headed to Omaha to play the Storm Chasers in relatively cool weather, compared to Sacramento. I have tickets to Wed’s game vs the cubs. Pablo may be playing in Iowa that day, however.

6. Flavor said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:34 pm

• alleykat69 said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Solid! BF
      Notice the “Bellbottoms” they had a short life span, mostly a chic thing, but some strange guys wore them too.

• snarkk said, on August 2, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Hey, I had some awesome vertical white/brown/yellow striped bell-bottoms in the ’70s. Whadya mean “strange”?…

7. djloo27 said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Tough play, but Span wasn’t even close…

8. alleykat69 said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Great example why no teams wanted a sniff at Span at the deadline.His Defense is Offensive to watch.,

9. djloo27 said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Matt Moore starts give me the same feeling I used to get from Zito…

10. Flavor said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:38 pm

• Flavor said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:39 pm

this is why I like Baggs. He gives zero fucks. What a tweet.

• snarkk said, on August 2, 2017 at 8:10 pm

This team is so bad, this time he WANTS to be blackballed from the clubhouse…

11. djloo27 said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:40 pm

The HP ump looks like a girl…

• James said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:41 pm

and calls balls and strikes like a machine.

• xoot said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:46 pm

I’ll bet he wore bell bottoms when he was a kid 😉

12. djloo27 said, on August 2, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Bell bottoms were cool here as long as the bell was big and long enough to cover most of your shoe.
    The ones in the picture would cause you much grief…

13. James said, on August 2, 2017 at 8:00 pm

The pressure clearly does not get to Moore. He’s every bit as effective when it’s on or off.

14. alleykat69 said, on August 2, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Walks& Bombs killing the Giants all year!
    They have neither and their old as my dogs 🐶 last turd 💩 on the lawn..

15. snarkk said, on August 2, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Once again, Moore is less…

16. snarkk said, on August 2, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Amazing how Cy Young seems to pitch for every opposition team…

17. Macdog said, on August 2, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Now there’s some outfield defense.

18. snarkk said, on August 2, 2017 at 10:13 pm

So, this latest version of Cy Young, who as usual, the league has hammered until tonight, was nails.
    Ho Hum…

19. djloo27 said, on August 2, 2017 at 10:22 pm

20. mrsprtdude said, on August 2, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Number 1 pick can be a Harper, Strasbourg or a Posey. Don’t sneeze at that. We are neck and neck with Philly!

• djloo27 said, on August 2, 2017 at 10:30 pm

The once mighty Phillies are in their 5th year of complete shittiness after being a top contender for the better part of a decade. We are in year one…

• snarkk said, on August 2, 2017 at 10:50 pm

Yep, looks like an apt comparison…

• chipower9 said, on August 3, 2017 at 6:58 am

And there is, realistically, probably a year or two more before they have a chance to be competitive. Not dooming…just being real in my opinion…

21. Macdog said, on August 2, 2017 at 10:49 pm

Baggs: Giants optioned Jae-Gyun Hwang. Conor Gillaspie DFA. Ryder Jones recalled from AAA Jarrett Parker will be activated from the 60-day DL.

• snarkk said, on August 2, 2017 at 10:51 pm

They couldn’t friggin DFA Gillespie before the trade deadline? Or, get a bag o’ balls for him, instead of squat? Good for him. Now he can go somewhere and actually play a bit. Again, I question the purpose of the entire Hwang circumstance. It looks pointless to me. Both moves at third look like clearing the decks for the return of Pablito to keep the parking lot full. I am nearing the disgusted line for this front office…

22. chipower9 said, on August 3, 2017 at 6:57 am

Same shit, different day.

You know it is grim in Flap Universe when a thread has been up during the season, for a day, and there are all only 37 comments.

I checked-out early again last night with the Giants down a couple of runs. Went to bed to read and checked the score again before fully cashing in, and saw they were down 6-1 in the 8th…yep, same SHIT, different day…

23. chipower9 said, on August 3, 2017 at 7:01 am

Looks like some serious ass-whoopins on the horizon for our boys in the Black and Orange. Arizona and Cubbies at home, and then on the road to face the Natty Nats.

I am starting to think that there could be worse things than losing 100 again, this year. If that happens, maybe some fucking heads roll. I would start with the scouting department, and probably Booby, too.

24. wilcojoe said, on August 3, 2017 at 7:53 am

Is Melancon coming back any time soon? Houston’s front office is getting scorched for not getting more arms at the deadline. Even Keuchel spoke out about it. The Astros could save some face with the fans and most importantly the clubhouse by working out a deal for Melancon. Even if he pitched like shit down here at least Luhnow (Astros GM) could come out of hiding.

• willedav said, on August 3, 2017 at 8:13 am

pitching rehab innings in San Jose. already has at least once I think.

• unca_chuck said, on August 3, 2017 at 8:59 am

Cueto would have been ideal for Houston. Maybe he comes back soon and we still do the deal.

25. willedav said, on August 3, 2017 at 8:12 am

silver lining: quote in Chron from guy about why he likes SF

“Now that they suck it reminds me of the old Candlestick days. Tickets are cheap, park is half full, no lines for anything and full of real baseball fans.”