Matty Moore Monday

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 7, 2017

Ugh. I don’t even care who it’s against anymore. These days are always just such a….drain. But I’ll watch the game if for nothing else because the Cubs have some fun players to watch. And obviously, The Panda.

I’ve clung to the dream that the Dodgers will fall apart in the post season because it’s an easy message to cling to. But the question is, who knocks them out? The Nats are the most obvious team but there is really no one in the AL who I think can do it. I just don’t think the Astros have the experience and the pitching to pull it off. In fact, I could see the Astros easily not making the World Series (sorry Wilco)–at least, as presently constructed. Even if they do, they just don’t have the pitching to shut down LA. The best chance for that would be if the young LA bats got overwhelmed by the moment and just went cold…..which could happen.

If I was going to bet on who will win the WS I would probably take both the WC teams heading into the NLDS and ALDS just because they will have momentum, hope and….the best odds.

1. djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:35 am

I’ve conceded the 2017 WS to the Dodgers and I won’t have a breakdown from it. My bigger concern is how many they might win and how long will it take our team to get close to them?

Anyway, nothing they do will compare to the indignity of being a long suffering NY Ranger fan and watching the fuckin’ expansion (1972) NY Islanders win 4 straight Stanley Cups from 1980-1983…

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:57 am

I would add that they’re not as despicable as many of the Dodger teams we’ve all hated and it’s impossible not to like Kershaw who as you know wears #22 for his idol, Will Clark. Here in their Brooklyn birthplace, I don’t know one single remaining Dodger fan from the old days. They’re long gone – probably dead or in Florida.
      I’m sure a new generation of front runners is being born as I type…

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 10:07 am

their fans are still as horrible as ever. Those are the idiots I don’t want to have to listen to.

2. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:52 am

I’m completely baffled that the Astros didn’t get pitching help. Maybe they still go after Cueto if he comes back soon enough. Smarj is even a possibility. He has been pretty tough down the stretch lately.

3. sandog said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:55 am

I’ve pretty much conceded it too. I won’t have a breakdown, but it will bother me big time. And I totally share your fears about how many more they might win and how long it is going to take to turn around our franchise.
    Hopefully, we’re not looking at another NY Islander scenario!
    Who on the Islanders would represent Seager and Bellinger? Bossy and Trottier?

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 10:06 am

Yeah, and of course the hated Potvin and their filthy goalie, Billy Smith. God, how we couldn’t stand them and their fuckin’ fans who were mostly Ranger deserters and/or well-to-do Long Island pussies.
      They were so good – they could play any style and beat you any way they pleased…

4. gianthead said, on August 7, 2017 at 10:01 am

I fear adding Darvish is the piece is going to make the Fodgers indestructible. Kenley Jansen is fricking unhittable. They unfortunately seem to have all the pieces.

Nats not getting Darvish I fear will be the deciding factor amd the Stros did ass-shit to strenghten their pitching. I will still be rooting for them…at least I get some Giants-Cubs on ESPN…

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 10:05 am

small sample size, but Darvish doesn’t have a very good post season record. Neither does Kershaw. Hey, it’s something….

• gianthead said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Adding him to thw NL mix where he will be less familiar during pennant chase may be a big difference

5. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 10:03 am

6. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 10:03 am

The stark reality is that we have exactly ONE position player that is better than LA’s. Catcher. That’s it. Every other position they have us handily.

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 11:10 am

How many people even remember the pitcher who gave up the record breaker – or the one that tied Aaron?
      I think I only know half the answer without cheating.
      Most true baseball fans (over age 50, anyway) probably know Billingham and Downing.

• gianthead said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:13 pm

One was a Nats pitcher right???

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:32 pm

I think so, GH. He almost had the exact same name as a rock icon…

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:40 pm

And I’m wrong. Thinking of John Lannan for some reason which is incorrect, but you’re right 756 was off a Nat…

• chipower9 said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Loo – I was there for this HR and also when he broke the single season HR record. You got me…I do not recall. But I have always sucked at this type of stuff…

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:52 pm

I had to look it up. I didn’t remember any of them correctly…

7. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2017 at 11:08 am

Verlander’s name is coming up again with the Astros in a trade.They need him if they want to make a run through the playoffs.Throw out 2 times he got shelled by Cleveland his era would be around 3.25 and he’s pitching good right now.Make it so Astros make Wilco happy 😊

8. djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 11:12 am

I would love to know what the Giant FO is hoping for with Cueto…

9. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 11:17 am

No shit. Cueto has said so much before this season that he wanted to go back to the AL. Now of course he’s saying he wants to stay but i believe that as much as the air his words are printed on.

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 11:24 am

I think it’s SOP to put all or most of the team on waivers just to gauge interest because you can always pull them back if there’s a claim and then negotiate a deal. I wonder what they would do if someone claimed Cueto or Smdjz…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 7, 2017 at 11:28 am

Booby will probably just give them away and pay half the salary too.

• chipower9 said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Agree, Dirt, but only if the other team threw in a bag of balls…

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Balls come in boxes.
        At least baseballs do…

• unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Not used ones.

10. wilcojoe said, on August 7, 2017 at 11:40 am

I agree 100% with everything you said Flav. As good as Houston has been all year, they just don’t have the pitching to compete against the Dodgers. Injuries haven’t helped, but every team has to deal with that. I actually could see a Cubs-Royals World Series. Both teams got off to shitty starts and really turned their seasons around.

11. wilcojoe said, on August 7, 2017 at 11:48 am

RIP Don Baylor

• sandog said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:09 pm

A buddy texted me that news. That one bums me out—a guy who was a young player just as I was starting to follow baseball.

12. chipower9 said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Charlie – I agree on the Afros and their not going hard after some pitching.

Wilco – is their ownership cheapskates, and this is why they did not get the pieces they needed?

• wilcojoe said, on August 7, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Money shouldn’t be an issue when your just middle of the pack in payroll and have a team that’s a piece or two away from World Series contention. I think Luhnow overvalues his prospects and just hasn’t developed the trade savvy to make deals at the final hour. Apparently they had agreed to acquire Zach Britton from Baltimore when Peter Angelos squashed the deal at the last minute. Even had they acquired Britton, they were still a front line starter away from being able to compete with the Dodgers.

I think there is something to be said by getting deals done a little quicker, like the Yankees did in acquiring Sonny Gray.

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Especially when your franchise is 0 for 55 lifetime…

13. chipower9 said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:31 pm

If the Dodgers get past the NL, not sure there is a Jr. Circuit club that can match-up with them. I suspect the Cubbies or Nats knock ’em out.

And I agree with Loo. It isn’t so much I have an issue of the bums winning one. The issue for me would be having to listen to their idiotic fans mentally ejaculate over the whole thing.

14. chipower9 said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Not only Baylor. Darron Daulton gone at 55 years old. Damn…that’s young.

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Daulton’s first wife:

15. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Loo wasn’t it Tom House in the BP that caught Aaron’s record breaking HR as he was fighting off those 2 hippies rounding 2nd?

• xoot said, on August 7, 2017 at 2:36 pm

hey, you’re right. I just checked. Those two guys were wearing bellbottoms.

16. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Houston is kinda like the Giants right now only insofar as they are in uncharted territory. Putting together a deal takes practice, you can’t just roll out of the clubhouse and fire one up. Just as the Giants didn’t really know how to be sellers I think Houston didn’t really know how to be buyers.

• alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2017 at 3:51 pm

I don’t know why the Astros can’t pull the trigger this year, they have a great farm system from years of suckness, plenty of high draft picks,they should of been a lot more aggressive then passive if they want to get that championship..

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 4:49 pm

because they’ve never done it before. If you’ve never done something before you tend to be more passive when approaching it. Think about anything you’ve done in your life. River rafting? Sky diving? First time through you’re always gonna take it slow and passive.

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 4:52 pm

You kept that clean, Flav…

17. djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 3:58 pm

The waiver thing doesn’t seem to be such a big deal anymore. Trades will still be made by anyone who is crazy enough to think they can challenge LA…

18. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Yeah, that’s why I still think Smarj and Johnny Blisters are still in play.

19. wilcojoe said, on August 7, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Yeah, though Cueto needs to get back soon to prove he is healthy. In the Astros case, any move they make is about helping the team in October. Players moved after 8/31 are not postseason eligible.

20. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 4:52 pm

I’d love to see the Giants and the Astros try to pull off a trade this year. If it were boxing it would be two dudes just dancing around the ring afraid to hit each other….

21. djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 4:55 pm

If it’s any consolation, even if the Giants were 15 games better at a respectable 59-54, they would still be 21 back of LA and 6 back in the loss column for the Wild Card…

22. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 4:57 pm

this is very cool, I’ve never seen this

• wilcojoe said, on August 7, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Everything about that is just perfect.

• chipower9 said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Agree. A friend posted it on FB. I was there in the moment, so seeing this perspective is cool as hell.

• gianthead said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:43 pm

I dont know….what do you think they think of Bonds’ record???

23. Macdog said, on August 7, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I don’t remember Don Baylor as a base stealer, but he had no less than 22 stolen bases in each season from ’72-’79, and had 52 with the A’s in ’76.

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 6:43 pm

i look at base stealing #’s from the 70’s and 80’s and my mind is just blown. It’s just not part of the game anymore.

24. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2017 at 6:52 pm

It’s all about the long ball,chicks dig it,players off season contracts dig it!!
    Might be wrong but Don Baylor didn’t mind getting drilled, had quite of few bruises as I recall..Great all-round player RIP Don you will be missed!

25. chipower9 said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Parker looking good. Have liked him all along.

26. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:30 pm

that was fucking ridiculous.

27. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:32 pm

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:34 pm

just checked, Barry didn’t hit his 150th till he was 27. Of course, he went to college and the other 3 guys didn’t.

28. chipower9 said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Fuck. So typical! Giants two in scoring position and don’t score. Then turn around and give up two. Oh yeah, this is the 2017 Giants…same shit, different day.

29. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:36 pm

if you look at his entire career since ASU, this looks like a work of numerical art…..

30. gianthead said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Give Moncrief one kudo…that was a hell of a throw…

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:39 pm

yes. It was a big throw. Krueger on KNBR the other day saying Moncrief had the best arm on the team by far.

31. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:37 pm

32. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Barry wearing the same jacket he wore over the weekend at the tribute to the ’97 team. Kinda weird, dudes like that are usually more fashion conscience.

33. Lurker John said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Matt Moore, finding ever more creative ways to cough up runs. This guy SUCKS SWEATY BALLS.

34. Macdog said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Maybe Moore is the one who should be out of the rotation instead of Cain.

35. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Jesus Christ. Comedy Central has nothing on these guys.

Moore is a gluehead.

36. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Parker is easily our best player over the last week. Crazy.

37. Lurker John said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Parker has some SERIOUS pop. He doesn’t really look it, but he’s cock strong. That was about a 400′ frozen rope.

38. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 7:59 pm

We got 6 hits and no runs in 2 innings and they score on a strikeout. . .

There’s your Giants replay.

• snarkk said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Giants pitchers have to be among the worst defensive staffs in MLB…

39. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:04 pm

oh, wait. Panda swings at ball 4 for the final out as my TV blacks out on Parker’s triple.

40. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:05 pm

5 risp in 3 innings = 0. I watch the game to FORGET my troubles. This just angers me more.

41. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Heh heh. It’s either laugh or cry . . .

42. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:18 pm

This team is like “The Great Escape” but in their case, they tunnel but they only rise short of the fence..

43. gianthead said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:20 pm

That DP was enough for me tonight…

44. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Such a joke.
    Automatic they weren’t going to score..

45. djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Good luck to Wotus next season with most of this crew returning…

• alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Ron Wotus will be the next Jimmy Davenport if he gets the gig..

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:37 pm

I think they expect that…

46. snarkk said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Giants no longer amazing at how they can squander run scoring chances in various ways. They’re just really good at it. They must lead the league in not scoring a man from second on a single to the outfield. If they don’t, I would be surprised…

47. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Sounds like a Cubs game.

48. James said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Hey, they got a hit with RISP! They were hitting 272 with RISP coming in to the game tonight. It’s a completely worthless, red herring old school stat.

• unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Well, with every other team in baseball that scores a run

49. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:26 pm

that arm is freaking incredible.

50. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:27 pm

51. James said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:27 pm

First they got shut down at ATT, now this:

• wilcojoe said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Long live Schon and Perry. Fuck the rest of them.

• James said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:35 pm

But what about Rolie?

52. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:28 pm

• Macdog said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Aw man, I just posted same.

53. mrsprtdude said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Dodgers are playing the best baseball i have ever seen. I saw yesterday on MLB. Before yesterdays game LA 43-7 in last 50 games. 1902 cubs 45-5… 1884 St Louis Maroons (who?) 44-6 only two teams better in MLB history. So they are in the best prolonged stretch of baseball in over 100 years. Damn

54. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Lefties 5-7 off Dinty Moore tonight.
    3 wild pitches to go along with Brent Boone comment “A nothing fastball for another hit”
    Love it brutally honest, both announcers ripping him a new one!!

55. Macdog said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Can Moncrief pitch?

56. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:36 pm

oh good, Cain is headed to the bullpen, our problems are solved! Chuck about to get angrier.

57. snarkk said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Seriously, Moore needs to go on the DL for a while.
    Embarrassment syndrome…

58. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Geez it even Moore’s final out hopefully was a “Linedrive Ass Burner”
    Speaking of Moore misery,Cain next up to take some lumps..

59. James said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:47 pm

After failing again in 2017, here’s how the Dodgers don’t win any WS:

1. Turner starts playing his age
    2. Taylor, who is 26, does an Andy Van Slyke
    3. Either Bellinger or Seager suffer a major injury
    4, Kershaw and Jansen, who are 30 next year, start to decline
    5. Pederson and Puig don’t improve.

Admittedly, that’s a pretty long list 🙂

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 8:50 pm

until they win one I will continue to believe to my core that they’ll never win one again in my lifetime

• alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Agree,
        They should of never beat a far superior team in the A’s with the bash brothers. 1 gimpy moment by Kirk “Roy Hobbs Gibson” homerun gave that shit team the inspiration it needed

• unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:01 pm

I’m totally fine with that if it comes to pass.

60. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Ryder…pfffttttt. He did crush that.

61. snarkk said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Kontos for Pirates tonight:
    Mowed down Detroit 1-2-3 in the 8th, in 10 pitches…

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:08 pm

pfffttttt….. good thing Evans held out for something and didn’t just hand him over to the Pirates for free. Oh wait.

• snarkk said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:11 pm

That inning alone is worth a PTBNL…

62. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Cain in to staunch the blee . . . oh wait.

63. James said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:06 pm

The Giants are now hitting 250 w/ RISP tonight, which is better than their overall team batting average. Want to understand why your team sucks at scoring runs? Look no further than the team OPS. The other stats don’t mean shit.

• unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:17 pm

If you have a team hitting .300 with RISP I guarantee you they are scoring a shitload of runs. It’s only a worthless stat for us.

64. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Wow. Doink!

65. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Ohmygod. He’s dead!

66. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:15 pm

back in the 80’s there was a year or two where the “game winning hit” was a big stat, remember that? James, that shit must have had you doing the slowest of burns…..

• djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:23 pm

I t was beyond stupid. If your team was winning a game 15-0 and wound up winning 15-2, the guy who drove in the 3rd run got credit for the GW RBI…

• unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:59 pm

I do remember the stat, I just didn’t know if they assigned one for every game. Utterly ludicrous.

• Macdog said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:30 pm

I do remember that, about mid-80s. I think Keith Hernandez was among the top players for that silly stat.

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:31 pm

all time leader. Well done

67. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:21 pm

they would literally just give you a 1 if you had the game winning hit. I just tried to look it up and couldn’t find it. A guy like Jack Clark would have 23 or so and lead the league. Am I going insane? This was a stat, right?

68. alleykat69 said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Hey Strop look like a major leaguer and put your lid on straight!!

69. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Buster. 4 swings, 4 outs.

70. Flavor said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:23 pm

found it. Game winning rbi’s. Shoulda checked. they only kept the stats official 1980 to 88

71. James said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Before watching Johnny To’s pretty cool Hong Kong gangster pic “Exiled” at SFMOMA the other night, we also checked out the Mike Mandel exhibit “Good 70s.” Part of it features his baseball card series and photos from

Note the sale price. My roomie back in the early 80s had a copy, so I didn’t buy one. The exhibit includes a B/W clubhouse photo with the focus on Jack Clark in the foreground and another player behind him, exposed in full frontal, and, to the right, an overweight slob with cigarette dangling. Didn’t recognize the other players. It all looks pretty seedy, with no prayer meetings in sight. There’s also a grim photo of Dennis Littlejohn taking BP in what looks like a poor inner city high school’s batting cage.

• Macdog said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:42 pm

I have that book, probably got it about late 80s at a collectors show.

• James said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:50 pm

You could undercut ’em at $1,999.99!

• Macdog said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Ha, never imagined something like that could get some big $$$.

72. James said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:41 pm

“If you have a team hitting .300 with RISP I guarantee you they are scoring a shitload of runs.” Chuck, I could project how many more runs SF would have if they were batting 300 w/ RISP and still had the same team OPS. Without bothering to do the math, I can guarantee you it wouldn’t significantly improve this team’s sorry run production.

73. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Wow. Replay is a joke.

74. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Huh. Cain got through that unscathed.

75. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Q: Who’s to blame? The pitching or the hitting?

A: Yes

76. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Fucking Tebow driving drunk in a Toyota commercial. Hope he crashes.

77. djloo27 said, on August 7, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Span will probably get released next year around mid season. Pence more likely to get the Cain treatment and be kept around for his contributions to 2 titles. Wotus will spend the season juggling those 2 with Parker, Gorky and I guess Slater.

• snarkk said, on August 7, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Play Moncrief in center the next two to three weeks. Span can sit. I’d just like to see the guy make throws…

Say Something....

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s