Beat Down Looming

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 11, 2017

So, here we go. Chris Stratton shakily takes the hill today and while Edwina Jackson is imminently hittable you have to consider his opponent.

How interested are you in watching this series this weekend? What about it will capture your attention? Anything? Dusty? Harper vs Strickland? Watching Parker and Panda?

This is going to be one of those weekends where I watch baseball if I have nothing else to do…..

1. willedav said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:22 am

could be. Nats are a good hitting team and smoked Giants last time they were at ATT but their SPs are still out I think. East Coast games that start early, giants could be toast by time I get in.
    Still, they are coasting home up 15 games and unlike LA all the teams in that division suck.
    Hey the lowly White Sox just swept 3 from the Stros.
    college football still couple weeks away…can’t watch NFL exhibition games at all.

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:28 am

yeah, I can’t and won’t watch NFL exhibition.

2. unca_chuck said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:02 am

I’ll be watching the first half of the Niner game. And prolly the rest of it unless the Giants are showing signs of life.

Hey, they are 6-3 in their last nine!

3. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:26 am

Will try to squeeze-in some viewing. Saturday is busy as hell. Dropping my trailer to have a few things addressed, and then seeing Flannery and his Lunatic Fringe Saturday night with Gail and my daughter. Sunday am planning a hike to Bassi Falls…

My interest in the series. Strick-Harper and seeing how Parker does. And yeah, maybe Panda…

Big NO to NFL exhibition. Hell, I am finding it hard to watch regular season NFL. They have damned near made the game unwatchable.

4. willedav said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:27 am

Nice story by Baggs on Ryder Jones. Dad has been longtime college assistant and he was on the field alongside guys like J Mercer from Pirates at young age taking grounders et al. He knows the drill, never been exceptional athlete, just loves the game and seems level headed. Hope he can figure things out at the plate.

Weird juxtaposition in that Cubs game Giants lost. Craw took called 3rd strike with guy in scoring positon, then couple pitches later Jones blasted an Arrieta offering out the yard. Sure like to see more of that if he has it in him.

5. Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:47 am

LA is -380 to beat SD tonight. Not sure I’ve ever seen a baseball line that high.

• sandog said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:56 am

Remind me again how those baseball lines work? If someone put $10 on the Pads, how much would they stand to win?
      $38?

• Macdog said, on August 11, 2017 at 9:25 am

You have to bet $380 to win $100 if you bet on the Dodgers.

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 9:42 am

$38 to win $10 if it’s -. If it’s + it would be $10 to win $38

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 9:44 am

yes, you are right, I thought you said LA. If you bet $10 on Pads you win $38

• sandog said, on August 11, 2017 at 9:50 am

Meaning, you get your $10 back and actually win $28….right?

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 9:52 am

no. $48 back total. Win $38

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 9:53 am

and at +380, if I were in a casino, I’d hit the Pads. They have some decent hitters on that team who are hitting well right now. +380 is juicy.

• sandog said, on August 11, 2017 at 9:55 am

I totally agree with you. The Pads IMO actually have a fun young team to watch.
        Especially when they are rocking their “Brown Friday” home uniforms!

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 10:00 am

I support this sentiment

6. snarkk said, on August 11, 2017 at 9:06 am

Like Chi, my interest in NFL now is on the floor. As I’ve said before, it’s now litigation with yellow flags…

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2017 at 9:20 am

Yep…I am MUCH MORE EXCITED about college football. BOOMER SOONER!

• Irish Kevin said, on August 11, 2017 at 12:14 pm

No you should have used FiGHTING Irish!! Ha ha ha

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2017 at 12:33 pm

You mean the fighting cocksuckers? Nah…never have like them…

Kneepads not included…

7. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Let the ass whoopin’ commence…

No Buster and Pablo hitting clean-up…

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Jarrett Parker (L) LF
    4. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    7. Ryder Jones (L) 1B
    8. Nick Hundley (R) C
    9. Chris Stratton (R) P

8. Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 2:00 pm

they better play this game at double speed. Looks like a lot of rain heading into DC area around 9:30pm EST

• gianthead said, on August 11, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Another reason I was questioning coming…

• gianthead said, on August 11, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Spam sitting? He is shagging…

9. gianthead said, on August 11, 2017 at 2:30 pm

I had better thoughts about coming but son and I both representing with Giant jerseys first row left center…kid wanted a game before he heads to VCU next Friday…

So bullpen is doing their light running and stop in front of us so I yell as I hold up my right fist: “Strick, you got Harper!”

He did start laughing…

10. unca_chuck said, on August 11, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Brown Friday? Too. Many. Dumb. Jokes. . . . .

11. gianthead said, on August 11, 2017 at 3:04 pm

And I think we are going to get the game in and rain will skirt by us…

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 3:36 pm

good luck. I’m looking at a pretty detailed radar and it says TROUBLE. Could be our best hope.

• gianthead said, on August 11, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Radar we have is that should be moving just north of us. They are pussing out because of lightning but all seems to be moving north of us.

That is the thing about the weather outr here and the south in general, 5 miles west of here us probably coming down like hell with lightning but to the first base sude of the stadium very light cloud cover…

12. gianthead said, on August 11, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Rain delay and no rain

• djloo27 said, on August 11, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Seems to be a lot of that lately…

13. snarkk said, on August 11, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Melancon apparently set to be activated tomorrow, according to Baggs, although he apparently isn’t feeling really ready. Per Baggs POV this is being pushed by the contract, since there’s no other reason for it. Seems dumb to me. This has all the signs of a typical Giants ClusterF contract…

14. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Does every small stadium have to be called a bandbox? Can’t they think of anything else?
    WTF is a bandbox anyway?

• theroooster said, on August 11, 2017 at 4:42 pm

band·box
      ˈbandbäks/Submit
      noun
      a cardboard box, typically circular, for carrying hats.

• theroooster said, on August 11, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Origin

mid 17th century: from band2 + box1, the box being used originally for neckbands.

• djloo27 said, on August 11, 2017 at 4:48 pm

That surprised me. I figured it was a small area wear bands played years ago or something like that.
        Roooster can be very educational sometimes…

15. gianthead said, on August 11, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Last time I rely on frickin Weather Channel’s radar!!!!

16. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Mets new rookie 1B is quite a fatso…

17. snarkk said, on August 11, 2017 at 4:41 pm

I won’t pay much attention to the games this weekend.
    I’ll be busy digging a fallout shelter in the backyard…

18. snarkk said, on August 11, 2017 at 4:51 pm

I’m getting a little excited for Cal Bears football this season.
    New HCoach with Dave’ Wilcox’ kid. Several ex-head coaches on his staff, should be a staff upgrade. DeRuyter is the DC, ex of Fresno State HC, he’s a pretty good defensive mind. The defense has gotten some decent talent in, so looks to be better this year than the merde it has been under the Sonny Dykes sieve regime. I’m thinking realistically 4-8, with 5-7 at best, and a 6-6 at the outside if everything goes just perfectly. QB is an unknown…

19. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2017 at 4:52 pm

You can still see these signs on many old apartment buildings in Brooklyn:

20. Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 6:11 pm

this guy is the best in the weather biz. MLB should hire him and stop letting teams make random decisions about the weather based on how the skies look

• djloo27 said, on August 11, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Why are some forecasters better than others? Aren’t they all looking at the same thing?
      Back here, they have never been worse. It’s become almost stupid to pay much attention to them…

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 6:23 pm

MLB does their own weather forecasts. They don’t employ professional weathermen like Kevin Roth who ROUTINELY makes them look like fools. I follow him every day, I see it every day.

21. Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 6:30 pm

• snarkk said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Yeah nice move by Giants FO to get nothing, NOTHING, for Kontos. They could have worked something conditional, like appearances, holds, oppo BA, whatever and at least gotten some kind of body in the offseason from a list of choices based on how the conditions played out. But, nope…

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:36 pm

lol, I posted this in the hopes that you’d see and sit on your big ass deck watching the sun go down drinking some nice Bordeaux doing…..the slowest of burns…..

• zumiee said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:33 pm

The Pirates will learn more about Kontos.

• Lurker John said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:39 pm

He was a pretty good pitcher for the Giants over the years.

• djloo27 said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:42 pm

He was LJ. Unfortunately, by himself he had no trade value…

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:52 pm

coulda sent him with Nunie and gotten another shitty single A pitcher in return. I would have taken that. And liked it.

22. Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Billy Ham, 2 SB’s, 2 runs scored, it’s the 4th inning…. But I know, he sucks right? terrible player, really glad we don’t have a guy like him.

• willedav said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:58 pm

nice going. helps erase that 6-27 with 0 (count em) walks in his last 7 games. OB for how well he sets the table? .222.

23. Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 6:34 pm

I lied, I’m watching the Niner game. That Robinson INT was sick

24. Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 6:58 pm

nice to see ESPN joking about what pussies we are

• zumiee said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:31 pm

And Stanton with zero championships.

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Since July 5th, same for us….

25. zumiee said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Classic weather report gaffe on the graphics:

26. Lurker John said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:38 pm

It’s still raining in the DC area? Even the Puget Sound is bone dry this time of year. A postponement in the middle of August sucks ass.

• Lurker John said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Yeah, it hasn’t rained here in 54 days and the Giants just got rained out in DC. WTF.

27. Macdog said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Nunie dumb baserunning alive and well with Red Sox.

• zumiee said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Yeah, killer 9th inning blunder.

28. Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Pads have tied it up 1-1 in the third. I really want them to win so I can cash this bet I made in my mind.

• sandog said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Same here! I’m watching the game, pretending I put $100 on the Pads.

29. zumiee said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:04 pm

I wonder how often MLB checks Turner’s urine. I wonder if he was a person of color they would be checking more often. That power-hitter from the Brewers, Thanes, says MLB has checked his urine over 10 times this season.

• Lurker John said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:10 pm

I’ve been thinking about that dude lately myself. How he’s gone from what he was to what he is now is pretty suspicious to me.

30. Lurker John said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I finally got around to watching that video BF posted of the ’97 Giants-Dodgers Brian Johnson game. Watched the whole thing. What a great game, especially Beck’s Houdini act in the top of the 10th. How he did that I’ll never know. That was his last year with the club. It was fun watching the rowdy Candlestick crowd and some of the players from that team, Stan Javier, Doug Henry, JT, Vizcaino, etc.

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:31 pm

nice you kept it in the hopper

31. sandog said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Pads leftfielder Pirela is a Yankee cast-off, but he takes some good hacks and has been doing some damage at the plate. Reminds me of Gary Matthews, big time. Not a player of Matthews’ caliber, but looks like him, slashes at the ball like The Sarge did, and plays kind of a reckless LF much like GM did.
    Similar to Nunie in that he couldn’t make it in NY, but maybe can get a decent career going elsewhere.

32. willedav said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Found those Hamilton stats for last 7 games on cbs site off game tracker; I’m not making this stuff up. Right above them is another gem, his situational numbers vs. Milwaukee this year, as follows:
    6 hits in 40 ABs with 1 HR
    OB .227
    SLG .225
    BA .150
    Case closed or do we need more evidence?

• willedav said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:20 pm

yes baseball is hard. I’m sure he’s always been a great athlete, 3 sport star. but hitting a baseball is very tough thing to have to do for a living.

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:30 pm

you and I will never see eye to eye on this.

33. sandog said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Organist at Dodger Stadium playing “Seek and Destroy” by Metallica between pitches. I like it.

34. sandog said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:21 pm

G-Head and son got rained out at Nats Park. That stinks. The fact that he and Strick shared a moment together is awesome though.
    The first time I went to Pac Bell, the game got rained out. That really sucked.

35. zumiee said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:24 pm

My pre-season wish that the NL West be more competitive vs. the Dodgers this season seems pretty quaint now that the entire MLB isn’t competitive vs. the Dodgers.

36. snarkk said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:25 pm

BF, on your 7:36:

I do have a bit of lightly chilled fairly cheap Chard going right now, but it’s a Friday night, and a pizza w/salad is in my future. Fresh out of Bordeaux. And, yeah, headed for the deck, the cool breeze is picking up now in the East Bay w/the sun heading towards N. Korea. I’d like to put Evans on the waiver wire, make a trade for a GMTBNL…

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:33 pm

there are 2 times I use “big ass or big assed” in a sentence: 1) when I’m referring to that big assed escalator they used to have at the Stick and 2) your big ass deck

37. Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:34 pm

CJ Beat Hard pilots the NIners to their first td of the year…and then my high is brought right back down with a damn Toomgis commercial that’s on…..

• djloo27 said, on August 11, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Still?

38. Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:38 pm

top of the 5th, tied up 2-2 in LA. If I had dumped my life savings on the Dodgers at -380 I’d be sweating big time right now.

39. Flavor said, on August 11, 2017 at 8:46 pm

40. Macdog said, on August 11, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Hey, the Pads did it!

• sandog said, on August 11, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Hell yeah they did! The Sarge ripped a big homer.