Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 15, 2017

With the Mets falling short in New York, the dreams of me turning my fake parlay bets into glory and destiny came to an abrupt end last night. Too bad. I was gonna take my pretend $1326 and play the shit out of the lottery tonight. Prolly woulda hit it, too.

The Giants can’t hit Dan Straily. There is no good reason for this. Maybe tonight the Giants finally hit Dan Straily.

Bum needs to stand down against Stanton. Kinda feels like he’s not gonna do that though.

XOOT sent me more info on Stix case including a legal brief recently filed by his public defenders. It was 18 pages long and a fascinating read. I can’t copy and paste it or I would let you read it. Email me if you want a copy of it. Here’s a pic of the helicopter he shot down. The serial number he *wrote down on an envelope* is clearly visible.

Screenshot 2017-08-15 at 5.47.11 AM

As a teaser, here is the beginning of the legal briefing:

“Carstie Clausen, 72, was about half way through eating his breakfast made from greens in his back yard and was working on a New York Times crossword puzzle in silence when he first heard the helicopter….”

1. Flavor said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:49 am

Chad Bettis coming back from cancer treatment got 7 shut out innings reminded me a lot of what Dravecky did back on Aug 10th 1989. I looked it up, he went 8 innings, gave 3 runs (92 pitches). That was an incredible game, one of the most memorable I’ve ever attended.

2. willedav said, on August 15, 2017 at 8:16 am

Brisbee on MCC chron said: “Before the game started Blach led the NL in HRs per 9 innings.”
    Can that be true? Didn’t see the Stanton (or Ozuna) bomb but apparently it got the “under” on Loo’s over/under of 421 ft. Even if he is killing your team, fun guy I’d pay to watch hit.

Is it at all realistic, as Baggs mentioned, that Giants would have any shot at him? Baggs thought LA is the team to worry about—willing to take on payroll/prospects Marlins might like. Plus he grew up there.

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2017 at 8:42 am

I heard that SF is on Stanton’s no trade list. Anyway, I don’t want him. The giants have more holes than Swiss cheese. One guy won’t change their situation that much. They already had the greatest slugger in history and didn’t win a championship…

• unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2017 at 10:37 am

You’d think Samarj would be 1 on that list.

3. willedav said, on August 15, 2017 at 8:47 am

wonder if anyone since Ruth era had a night like Reds 2b Scooter Gennett: 2-5 scored 2 drove in 2 and homered (#20 wow), then pitched the 9th of blowout 15-5 L to Cubs. Gave up 2 hits 2 runs and a homer, plus beaned a guy.

4. alleykat69 said, on August 15, 2017 at 11:41 am

Well if that was the case about Blach’s HR per innings, there was no way he should of pitched to Stanton at all. Like I said last night walk his ass every time up! Shit his second AB was caught at the wall, could easily of had 2!
    That Bomb by Ozuna was a thing of beauty,456 ft thru a slot that looked the size of a German pill box bunker, where the camera man was filming who ended up with the scolded ball..

5. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Right. I didn’t see where the catcher set up but I doubt he hit his spot.

6. snarkk said, on August 15, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Kat has a point. Why not just walk these few big time sluggers like Stanton and Goldie. Teams walked Bonds all the time. Take your chances with the other guys…

7. alleykat69 said, on August 15, 2017 at 2:41 pm

The thing is when a guy like Stanton who is “Totally the hottest hitter in baseball ⚾️ with something like 10 -11 bombs in his last 12 games like when Bonds would get locked in you just don’t let them beat you.
    Remember when Buck Sholwalter walked Bonds with the base loaded with a 2 run lead and it worked out? You take the equation out and take your chances with a less dominant player..

• djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 2:54 pm

Do you remember who the next hitter was after the IBB?

• zumiee said, on August 15, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Man, one of the Giants’ pre-game shows just showed this recently. I don’t remember the batter, but he hit a line-drive to the rightfielder for the final out. It almost didn’t work out for the D-Backs.

• djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 3:19 pm

You’re right Zum. He hit it on the button…

• unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2017 at 3:47 pm

I don’t know who it was but it wasn’t Jeff Kent. It was a middling OFer. Can’t remember his name.

• djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Not an OFer, Chuck but a very well traveled vet…

8. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 3:47 pm

It’s incredible how they continually let guys like Goldshit, Stanton and Arenado beat them. Hopefully this will change next year, when Ron Wotus is manager which I believe will be the Giants first order of off season business…

9. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2017 at 3:48 pm

No way in hell Wotus is the manager. Decker will be before Wotus.

• djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 3:54 pm

I think they’ll let Wotus be the transition guy from Pence, Span, etc. and see how he does. I bet they give him a 2 year deal and may even announce it shortly before the season ends so Bochy can take a bow…

• Flavor said, on August 15, 2017 at 4:30 pm

absolutely.

• unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:55 pm

They brought Decker up here to scope things out before he gets the job. He’s assistant batting coach or some shit.

10. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 4:04 pm

The aerial view of Marlins Park looks like a very nice toilet with the lid closed…

11. Flavor said, on August 15, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Panik to concussion DL. Lol, the Giants are so fucking STUPID. They put him back into that game. Unreal.

12. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 4:18 pm

O/U on Stanton homering off Bum: 426.5′

13. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Hey Flavor:

Just noticed that today’s thread has no title. Is that a first?

• Flavor said, on August 15, 2017 at 4:29 pm

maybe. I didn’t do that on purpose. Nice catch

14. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Anybody get a flashback on that pop-up to Pablo?

15. wilcojoe said, on August 15, 2017 at 4:34 pm

For some reason, I always thought Glenallen Hill was the batter they IBB Bonds to get to, but I guess not.

16. Flavor said, on August 15, 2017 at 4:59 pm

I get so tired of Bumgarner worrying about whether a guy flips a bat or not. It’s such a bully move. Stanton didn’t do shit there besides blast a ball a million miles, he had no business staring him down.

17. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 5:05 pm

432- Pay the over…

18. zumiee said, on August 15, 2017 at 5:11 pm

There was a camera shot of Panik playing his position on defense and giving himself a concussion test between pitches by moving his index finger back and forth in front of his eyes. That’s a pretty absurd situation.

• Flavor said, on August 15, 2017 at 5:23 pm

and dumbass Flemming trotting out the party line about how careful the Giants are with concussions. Just because you have players who get them a lot does not mean you are careful with how you handle concussions. In fact, I think they Giants are pretty reckless in how they handle them

19. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 5:16 pm

I hope he doesn’t do his own prostate exam…

20. Flavor said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:03 pm

nice to see that cry baby pussy kid finally stop crying. Shoulda gone to the game with his dad instead of 2 chicks.

21. alleykat69 said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:24 pm

“Do you remember the next batter after the IBB to Bonds?”
    Yeah it was Brent Mayne are surfer 🏄 dude Catcher. He hit a line drive to the right fielder who made the ketch to end it. Buck wins that strategy and the game..

• djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Correct, Kat.

Not so fun fact:
      That game was the same day Phil Hartman was murdered by his psycho wife…

22. Flavor said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Melancon. Oh boy.

23. Flavor said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:34 pm

‘nother Gallo bomb for James.

• James said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Just fired up the laptop to see this excellent bit of news. I won’t follow Gallo myself, I’ll wait for your updates!

24. alleykat69 said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Ryder Jones just devoured a bear claw..!

25. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Wow…that is what you call turning on a pitch. Is there hope for Ryder Jones?

Fun fact:
    Here in Brooklyn we have a Ryder Street which is not far from the Belt Parkway…

26. snarkk said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Stanton’s turn on inside pitches is awesome. Bat speed is incredible …

27. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Brett Mayne. Oh, yeah. . . . .

28. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Melancon needs to get more grounders.

29. snarkk said, on August 15, 2017 at 7:06 pm

I’m either going crazy or this firestone Union Jack IPA at the pub is too good. I think I’m looking forward to Gorkys ABs…

30. gianthead said, on August 15, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Lost count…does this win put Bochy 6 over???

31. Macdog said, on August 15, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Nice comeback win on road and got MadBum a win on off night, also avoid season sweep vs. Fish.

32. James said, on August 15, 2017 at 7:45 pm

So, I checked just how much impact fastball velocity has on a hitter in 2017. Fastballs below 95 result in a hit about 6.2% of the time. Fastballs 95 and over result in a hit a little over 5% of the time. As you go up to 96, 97, and 98, that percentage is steady. I was expecting more disparities, because, well, the announcers and players are always full of shit when they pronounce stuff like “big league hitters adjust.” This is one of the few times reality backs them up, at least to an extent.

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Who records all this arcane shit for Elias and fangraphs, etc.? Are there dudes with green eyeshades taking down pitch speeds, locations, swings, deciding whether it’s a cutter or slider, etc? Or is this done by video review?…

33. Flavor said, on August 15, 2017 at 8:03 pm

I’m tired of hearing about exit velocity. It’s stupid. That is all.

• James said, on August 15, 2017 at 8:11 pm

“Player accounts suggest Statcast data has replaced traditional metrics. For example, on the first day of spring training, Tampa Bay Rays hitters are told they will be measured by batted-ball exit velocity, not batting average.”

I’m also sick of it, especially since the SF announcers continue to ignore OPS. Exit velocity is not stupid, however . . . .

34. willedav said, on August 15, 2017 at 8:08 pm

OK so here’s an example of on base pct having greater value than just speed.
    Giants leadoff is on base 4 times and scores 3.
    Marlins leadoff goes 0-5 and is never on base therefore unable to utilize his superior speed to put pressure on defense on ball in play or on pitcher/catcher.
    All Gordon was is the fastest guy sitting on his butt in the dugout all night.

Gordon (.689 OPS), btw has the 6th best OB in his lineup tonite. The guys following him—Stanton Ozuna Yelich and Realmuto are all better. Combined totals for those guys tonite—8 hits and a walk 3 runs scored 3 rbis.

• James said, on August 15, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Dee Gordon is, like Billy Hamilton, a below average player. No analysis beyond his season OPS is needed. The fact that he leads off while Stanton bats second is an amusing sign of a conflicted manager who doesn’t quite get all this number stuff.

35. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Flavor: Could I trouble you to e-mail me the Stix thing? Anybody see it yet?