It Can’t Just Be For the Garlic Fries

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 20, 2017

I’m trying to remember why I went to the games back in the 80’s. Candlestick was not easy to access using public transportation and I lived 40 miles away anyway. Going to a game was a major journey for me. My dad took me until I was probably 16 or so and then once me and my buddies got cars we started going to the games without our parents. That meant hanging out in the parking lot near that air tower thing and drinking many beers before the game. This thing:

Screenshot 2017-08-20 at 7.35.20 AM

I don’t remember seeing any cops around and no one cared that we were under aged anyway. In hindsight, that was probably a big reason we went to the games between the ages of 16-21ish.

However, we were also in the beginning of a renaissance with Will Clark, HacMan, Kevin Mitchell, and many more. So it wasn’t just partying in the parking lot, we finally had players to get excited about. We were coalescing as a fan base around players that, in hindsight, turned out to be a huge part of our team’s history. Do any of the young players we have right now look like they’re going to go down in SF history like the iconic players from ’86/’87 onward?

Now I’m looking at our future and the landscape that is in front of us and I’m trying to figure out what is going to motivate me to go to the games. The park is nice but it’s nearly 20 years old, the newness and the shine of AT&T has dulled for me. Tailgating is about 5% as cool in the new place as it was at The Stick. CalTrain makes it a lot easier to get to the games, so there’s that.

But if we are going to stink for years, if we are going to drip down the drain of irrelevance that we knew for so many consecutive years when I was younger, what is going to motivate me to ever go to these games? What will motivate you?

1. willedav said, on August 20, 2017 at 9:34 am

I went back and looked at 2007–Bochy Sabes and Evans as farm director. 71-91 5th in division.
    Among the usual suspects:
    Dave Roberts Klesko Ray Ray Feliz plus Ortmaier Nate Velez and Fred Lewis
    guys named Taschner cousin vinny chulk and Hennessey were in 50-60 games

Who at that time would have figured 5 yrs later Giants would have not 1 but 2 WS rings? So I don’t see predicting the future, doom or otherwise.

Bottom line anything can happen. Exhibit B would be Aroldis Chapman, the Yankees $86 million ex closer.

2. djloo27 said, on August 20, 2017 at 10:10 am

“drip down the drain of irrelevance”….Nice – hope Kokonuts sees it…

3. sandog said, on August 20, 2017 at 10:13 am

I don’t think it is going to be that bad. We’re basically looking at 2 more crap years with basically the same roster we have right now before some significant changes can be made. (And Pence and Span come off the books after next year)
    The Snarrk “Blow it All Up” plan ain’t happening. Yeah, we all wish a radical makeover would happen this off season, but our barren farm system, onerous contracts, and already bloated payroll make that impossible.
    I don’t care if Theo Freaking Epstein came to SF tomorrow—changes aren’t gonna happen quickly.
    Best we can do is hit on some draft picks now that we will be near the top of the draft for a year or two and maybe get lucky on finding a couple of diamond in the rough guys like Eric Thames. Other than that, we hope that we get bounce back years from the slew of guys who have fallen off and combine that with a healthy Bum and Will Smith and MAYBE we are competitive next year.
    I will still watch and listen and hope to get to ATT no matter what. Its just the way I’m wired. I’m a Giants fan.

• sandog said, on August 20, 2017 at 10:15 am

….and of course if I were in charge, I would reconfigure the ballpark to make it at least a semi-reasonable park to hit in.

• djloo27 said, on August 20, 2017 at 10:33 am

I think that’s long overdue, SD. They don’t have to turn it into a HR haven like they did to Citifield. Just get rid of asinine “triples alley” which is a total sham anyway. Seems to me the only triples you get out there are 410 foot shoulda been homers. You rarely see 2-3 hoppers that split the OFers and make it to the wall. Wasn’t that the concept of it?

4. snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 10:34 am

The blow it up plan could happen, if ownership wanted it.

It’s not an impossible approach, it’s something that likely won’t happen because ownership isn’t in this baseball thing to do anything to win – regardless of what Baer says. Plus, the minor league system stinks. The White Sox unloaded this year and got lots of minor league talent back. Two years, they’ll be making noise.

This team is a rich team. Comparing to the old ‘Stick days, the revenue is night and day. It should field nothing but at least .500 teams every year, and should be in at least the WC hunt every year. If not, it’s management malfeasance.

I’m drifting more towards BF’s once-in-a-while musings about maybe the 3-in-5 was just dumb luck. Timmy, Cain, Bum at their height, and that lock down Pen along with Posey at his early zenith. No way that comes together again in my lifetime.

With Sabean off into the sunset of traveling around high school and colleges and maybe the Caribbean, and not even wanting to be in SF, I see .500 ball as the goal for the foreseeable future. That’s OK for a while, I like ball. But, if this turns into Cub west where the ballpark is the thing, that’s not a long-term future I’m looking forward to…

5. Flavor said, on August 20, 2017 at 10:39 am

yeah, I still love baseball. But with fantasy baseball a big part of my interest I’m not tied down to just focusing on and fretting about the Giants. Watching the games is easy cause they’re always on. It just feels like GOING to a game is a pretty big chore. And if they’re going to be in last place for the next 5 years, I wonder how motivated I’ll be to make that happen.

6. Flavor said, on August 20, 2017 at 10:49 am

not bad, kid.

• snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 10:57 am

Great catch. But, should that be a legal catch?
      What’s the rule? When caught, the kid is in mid air out of the field of play and lands outside the field of play…

• Flavor said, on August 20, 2017 at 11:03 am

that’s what I always thought it was but a Red Sox, earlier this year, caught a ball flying into center field bullpen area. At least that’s how I remember it.

• snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 11:11 am

i’m all for it. The rule should be as long as you launch yourself from inside the field of play, you can catch it however and wherever you can. There must be a rule in the MLB rulebook for this, I’m just not going to look for it…

• Macdog said, on August 20, 2017 at 12:51 pm

7. snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 11:10 am

What was the purpose of the “Stick parking lot observation tower?…

• Flavor said, on August 20, 2017 at 1:06 pm

I bet San Dawg knows the answer to this.

8. willedav said, on August 20, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Every time I see him, Marisnick of Stros does something good. Just doubled off the wall in LF and came around to score 2 batters later. Plays a very good CF, BA of .248 but .325 OB plus .495 slugging puts OPS over .800.
    Might not have that much pop at ATT but runs well and covers ground in OF.

Weird thing about Giants is how overloaded they are at couple positions, corner OF especially. Filling CF with full time starter has to be an offseason priority.

9. djloo27 said, on August 20, 2017 at 12:25 pm

For no particular reason, my gut feeling is Pablo will not be back in 2018…

• zumiee said, on August 20, 2017 at 12:46 pm

I see what you did there. 🙂

• snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Whenever I have a gut feeling, I try to get rid of it ASAP…

10. theroooster said, on August 20, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Whats wrong with using your hands WTF?

11. djloo27 said, on August 20, 2017 at 1:28 pm

The great Jerry Lewis has passed away at 91…

• snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Apparently he was funny in the ’40s and ’50s with Dean Martin.
      I saw a bit of “The Nutty Professor” once on TV. That little bit was enough; after a few minutes of “WTF is this”, I moved on to something else. The French thought he was a comedic genius; lots of awards. Maybe that explains why I didn’t see the humor. Lots of stories out there that he was “difficult”, aka he was a jerk. Though, he raised a lot of cash for MS, that was a good thing…

12. snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Nice article by Passan on the idiot umpire “protest” that happened yesterday, I guess.
    The robot home plate ump with chicks in hot pants announcing the calls can’t arrive soon enough…

13. willedav said, on August 20, 2017 at 2:42 pm

If I were to ever go to a ballgame these days it would be to see Bum pitch, and get 2-3 ABs.

• xoot said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Madbums win over the cubs, day game a week or so ago, was a good one. We enjoyed it.

14. Flavor said, on August 20, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Diggity is on the course right now but says he’ll get to the question about the parking lot tower after his round.

15. unca_chuck said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:02 pm

It was a cop tower to look for trouble/fights/illegal activity in the parking lot.

• Flavor said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:18 pm

i don’t recall ever seeing anyone up there. You?

• snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:18 pm

Looks like some kind of San Quentin exercise yard type of thing.
      Could use it now to search for some Giants home runs…

16. Lurker John said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Melancon has morphed into a pure soft tosser, a real lollipop kind of guy. If he hits 90 it’s a good day.

• Flavor said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:35 pm

supposedly he needs surgery. Not sure why he’s still pitching this year.

17. Lurker John said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Good story about the Candlestick days and good photo. It’s interesting how many of us are, in some ways at least, longing for the old days of the Stick. I remember a game me and a buddy were at in the ’70’s, when we were both in HS. There was a small crowd, but 2 dudes sitting in front of us spent about 7 innings burning doobie after doobie, and they weren’t trying to hide it. And no one blinked an eye. The good old days. Now, you’re just as likely to get patted down to enter a major sporting event.

18. Lurker John said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:34 pm

I knew the fucking bullpen would blow it.

19. Macdog said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Another banner outing for Strickland.

20. xoot said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:44 pm

So Posey gets hurt saving sticknines ass with that excellent tag? Great if so, there goes the S in the ops

21. Lurker John said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:45 pm

You’ll never convince me that luck had anything to do with winning three championships in 5 years. Utter crap.

22. snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Strick’s act is really getting old. Waiting for him to develop a second pitch is worse than Waiting for Godot…

23. theroooster said, on August 20, 2017 at 4:22 pm

After defeating the Diamondbacks today, Bartolo Colon has now beaten all 30 @MLB teams.

24. alleykat69 said, on August 20, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Continues to be a joke about how this team handles injuries.Melancon obviously throwing like shit and they won’t shut him down. Same goes with both Panik&Belt and yet their both presumably coming back,Panik ahead of Belt, and Belt wants to hit the 20 HR club for his 1st time unless he gets beaned for the 5 th time and even then if he’s at 19 the team staff will give him one more crack in the last game figuring he has 6 months to shake off the cobwebs before ST..

25. zumiee said, on August 20, 2017 at 5:12 pm

The Dodgers lost. That’s a groovy thing.

• theroooster said, on August 20, 2017 at 5:32 pm

LOL. Groovy few and far between this season, zoom. Giants were eliminated today, August 20th, from winning the division. Is that some kind of record?

• snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 5:42 pm

I dunno; but 3 in 5 was some kind of record…

• djloo27 said, on August 20, 2017 at 6:14 pm

The grooviest thing about this season for the Giants will be the day it ends…

26. snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 5:19 pm

Marty Lurie just ripped Musclehead for throwing nothing but fastballs, assumes he is controlling the pitch calls over Posey. Not in favor of him coming back next season…

27. Flavor said, on August 20, 2017 at 6:18 pm

I never got the whole Jerry Lewis thing. Seemed more annoying than funny.

• djloo27 said, on August 20, 2017 at 6:39 pm

The only Jerry Lewis movie I ever saw was The Nutty Professor which was both annoying and funny…

• Lurker John said, on August 20, 2017 at 8:06 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning upon learning of his death. Never did get it.

28. djloo27 said, on August 20, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Any other manager and coaching staff in baseball would’ve been fired by now…

29. alleykat69 said, on August 20, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Agree Loo,
    Bochy was giving the old I don’t give a shit about this game look,nonchalantly even finally getting Crick up after 5 straight singles and the loss firmly in hand..

• djloo27 said, on August 20, 2017 at 6:53 pm

I understand not doing it now out of reverence for the 3 in 5, but the day after the season ends, everyone’s gotta go – Rags, included…

• Lurker John said, on August 20, 2017 at 8:07 pm

I don’t see that happening.

• djloo27 said, on August 20, 2017 at 9:48 pm

It probably won’t unless Bochy wants out, which is possible…

30. Flavor said, on August 20, 2017 at 6:59 pm

I watched the 6 min clip of Boch being interviewed after the game at mlb.com. All his interviews are the same. I think at the end of the day, Bochy is just a baseball guy. He’d obvious prefer to win but I think he just has to be around the game to be content. Now I’m thinking he’s coming back for sure and will probably only leave if he has a major health scare or dies.

• djloo27 said, on August 20, 2017 at 7:04 pm

He doesn’t have to be in the dugout. Give him Felipe Alou’s make believe job, or let him stuff his face at home games with McCovey…

31. alleykat69 said, on August 20, 2017 at 7:33 pm

If Boch still “obviously wants to win” he better try and light a fire under their asses for the stretch cause he will be one of the few HOF managers with a losing career track record even with his 3 in 5 resume to gloat about..,

32. Flavor said, on August 20, 2017 at 7:37 pm

33. snarkk said, on August 20, 2017 at 9:13 pm

How this coaching staff gets a pass on 1 1/2 seasons of pure dreck baseball is beyond me…

34. James said, on August 20, 2017 at 11:14 pm

At least part of Lewis’s appeal was his connection to Frank Tashlin’s style and humor, which emerged from the world of early Hollywood cartoons. “Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?” is better than any Jerry Lewis directed movie. And then there’s this:

35. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2017 at 8:07 am

Flav, back to the tower thing, I used to see people up in the tower during football games.