Wrapped Up Races in August

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 27, 2017

For obvious reasons I haven’t been checking the standings much this year. 40.5 games out. FORTY POINT FIVE. That’s a wild ride, man. You know who else sucks? Like, mostly everyone. There are NO GOOD races going on right now. The Yankees are 3.5 out, the Brewers 3 games out. Everyone else is smoking copious amounts of pole. Speaking of pole, this is funny…..

Ok, back to my point. You have to go to the AL wild card race to find even a semblance of competition. The Twins are fighting with 6 other teams for the last WC spot in the AL.

This is turning into one of the most boring baseball seasons of all time. Not just in SF. Everywhere.

Also, if you can find this locally, this is really good….

Screenshot 2017-08-27 at 6.34.49 AM

1. Macdog said, on August 27, 2017 at 10:47 am

Things could always be worse. The Mariners just had maybe the worst defensive inning I’ve ever seen from an MLB team — this is no exaggeration. What a shit show from a franchise that’s never been to a World Series. The entire organization should be embarrassed.

2. snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 11:19 am

Around 1980, you didn’t have much choice if you wanted a beer in the US. Dominated by the big breweries.
    Now, it’s amazing how many small, local, craft breweries there are in this country.
    A good thing…

• djloo27 said, on August 27, 2017 at 11:58 am

There was a time when you couldn’t even get Coors, here (NY). Somehow got hold of a 6 pack around ’76 and I thought it was magnificent…

3. snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Our here, back then Coors was nothing special. I remember it was thought in my circles maybe just a bit better than Oly and Hamms. Hamms is still made, apparently by Miller/Coors conglomerate. And, back then, Coors didn’t have a cool Bear marketing campaign “from the land of Sky-Blue waters”…

4. willedav said, on August 27, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Yeah Coors was pretty average stuff/always has been. guys I used to play softball with would argue over Bud and coors all the time after games. If one of them poured a glass from wrong pitcher, instant f-bombs.

Guess Parker isn’t going to get any shot at CF this year as boch told Baggs Span not moving to LF this season.
    Do Giants have any shot at L Cain of Royals? Is this the type of guy they need out there, excellent defender but mostly gap type hitter?

• willedav said, on August 27, 2017 at 1:00 pm

bats R throws R runs well enough to get 20+ SBs, high OB dozen HRs ish. 31 yrs old making $11 mil this year probably looking for 3yrs $45 mil I’d guess. Still seems like fine player.

• djloo27 said, on August 27, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Gorkys is a much cheaper alternative…

• djloo27 said, on August 27, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Cain’s ok, but he’ll be 32 next April. Another guy about to start his decline?

• willedav said, on August 27, 2017 at 1:30 pm

Pretty streaky hitter at least this year. 13 HRs but 8 of them in 1 month. 2 months of over .300 BA with .800+ OPS, 2 months of just under .250 BA and OPS of .660. Actually this year hitting RHP better than LHP.

One side of CF argument is they need a really good experienced defender out there at ATT to help pitching staff.
        Maybe alongside Parker and Shaw/ Slater that might work. Ain’t gonna be cheap tho.

5. alleykat69 said, on August 27, 2017 at 1:08 pm

This is just another baffling reason of thinking by Boch& everyone else who even has a say.You know your stuck with Span, you know he’s not a center fielder anymore, you have 40 odd games of meaningless baseball left this year,and their gonna wait to ST next year to try him in LF? When he can atleast get a better clue of the angles BP mound etc with some games out their now.Bochy’s always stuck on Loyalty and players positions too much to hurt feelings..

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Totally agree. It’s unexplainable from a smart baseball POV.
      Meanwhile, Buster is oh for the series, with almost all weak ground outs.
      He may be entering the usual Buster-disappearing act at the plate phase the last 1/3 to 1/4 of the season…

6. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 1:26 pm

With Bochy, you get the whole package. He’s especially loyal to the older vets.

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Let’s be blunt, it’s stupid. Span at best plays next season, when he’s not hurt, then gone. At worst, he plays all next season, then gone. He’ll not even be remembered as a Giant a decade from now, so the deference to his psyche in a lost season is just dumb. When the rosters expand next week, we should see not much of Span and Pence the rest of the season. But, of course, we will. I’m really ready for new management of this organization…

7. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Watching Kelby get a hit just now…..this season’s roster was screwed up from the get-go. There’s no way he should have started the season in Sac. That was just flat-out wrong.

8. theroooster said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Japan rolled up and smoked those little tykes from Texas 12-2. The 4th LLWS Championship for Japan.

9. snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Hope Wilcoejoe is doing OK in Houston.
    There is some serious bidness going on there right now.
    I lived there three years, and through a couple of tropical storms. Those kinds of rains are incredible if you’ve never been in one. One when we were there rendered the downtown under water for a few days, and the bayou in back of our house ran over — the back yard was flooded right up to the bottom of our back slider door, luckily it never got any worse than than that, and didn’t flood the house. It’s a scary deal. This looks many times worse. Houston is flat as a pancake and there’s nowhere for the water to go; like a big bathtub…

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Thing about Houston flooding and other areas down there is not just the live electrical lines that could be under water, but the bayous and creeks are full of water moccasins, alligators (yeah, in Houston), and coral snakes. Once they are on the loose in water, that’s not good. You could find a couple of water moccasins in your first floor living room…

10. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:19 pm

I saw in the news that some people didn’t even know the storm was coming. Some people watch absolutely zero news.

• Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:44 pm

I follow several racist Republican idiots who support Trump in spite of all facts in front of them. Today, a couple of them were calling the dire news reports coming out of Houston “fake news”. Only in the last hour have they recanted those tweets.

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:00 pm

It is a scary deal. At least 1/3 of our entire nation is populated by idiots who consider objective facts “fake” if they don’t fit their warped sense of reality. For them, education and science are to be mistrusted…

11. Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:30 pm

this weekend has confirmed that baseball players have the dumbest nicknames around—certainly the least creative

• djloo27 said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Their real nicknames are probably unprintable…

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:50 pm

I saw a story on the names. One that it explained was BCraw, uh for Brandon Crawford. I didn’t quite get why that one was in need of explanation…

Span: No Glove
      Pence: Coffee Whipped
      Panda: Neversaynever
      Gorkys: SenorLucky
      Osich: OhS—
      Boch: Boch
      Rags: Rags
      Groeshner: Watconcussion?
      Wotus: Interviewee

• djloo27 said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:02 pm

Good stuff, Snarkk – very Twin-like…

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:31 pm

I’ll take that as a compliment; I think…

12. Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:42 pm

I think I was way off on Stratton. I might be racist against honky’s. I’ll work on this bias going forward.

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:55 pm

What is Cain doing nowadays – giving advice in the dugout for his $20 million?
      That’s Bum in 6 years, 4 years into a 6 year deal at $32 million per…

13. alleykat69 said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:48 pm

What’s with these 50/50 orange 🍊 cream ice cream uni’s? Looks like a college team like Tennessee playing in the CWS ..
    Shit Gorky swinging a orange bat and of course striking out with it makes it perfect.,

14. Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 2:57 pm

John D’Acquisto guest coached my tee ball team a few times. He knew my coach I guess. Xerox Research. We lost every single game. He looks old. We are all old.

• zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:11 pm

I was surprised at how old he looks.

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Like many others, I always said if the Giants won just one Series, I could die happy.
      Now with 3 in the bank, I’m thinking maybe it IS way better they suck for quite a while…

• willedav said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:17 pm

His auto-bio is very interesting. And um, what ultimately happened to him after his playing days, believe me no one here would want. I think it gets mentioned on the front cover jacket but he wound up in prison for a few years for financial scam stuff by shady intl business people he was associated with that railroaded him.

15. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Today’s game has a high snooze-factor.

16. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Brewer rightfielder not wearing sunglasses, loses the ball in the sun. Genius move.
    The Brewers also ran themselves out of two innings with genius baserunning.

17. willedav said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:25 pm

So after he got the pitcher out, Osich threw 13 pitches to 3 batters and got 1 guy out; 9 of them were balls.
    This guy has to be one of worst I’ve seen in a long time.

18. snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Speaking of idiots among us in these United States.
    I just read multiple reports of people up in Redding, some in Virginia, and elsewhere that went this past week to hospital ERs for emergency eye treatment.

They had put sunscreen in their eyes.

So that they could safely look at the solar eclipse.

Seriously. That is no shit, not from the Onion.

Our country may be doomed…

19. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:44 pm

It’s supposed to be 109 in the Central Valley tomorrow. Yikes.

20. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:49 pm

The final days of Cain as a Giant are not memorable.

21. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Sign Lincecum for one day and do a Timmy and Matt goodbye ceremony.

• djloo27 said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Include Bochy in that farewell.
      The last weekend is a home series vs. San Diego – they could give him a nice gift, too…

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:33 pm

I don’t want Cain to sully a ceremony for Timmy.
      Timmy only with a separate deal…

22. djloo27 said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Cain looks like he’s suddenly put on a lot of weight.
    Probably already retired in his mind…

• Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:06 pm

well shit, after the season he gets another 7.5 mil so the cash just keeps on coming for him

23. theroooster said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Dbacks literally beating a dead Horse.

• zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Yep.

• Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:06 pm

nice call.

24. xoot said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Cain had 31.8 WAR through 2012; he’s been -1, cumulatively since, although today’s game may add a full negative 1. Bochy walked out to the mound like he’d just been woken up from a nap and didn’t much want to do the job.

25. snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:00 pm

My 2:55 — Cain should have stayed in the dugout giving advice.
    This is way beyond embarrassing.
    Why is he still on this staff?
    He should have been DFA’d or DLed a few months ago.
    Another indictment of management not managing to win games, but to ride out a contract…

26. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Utley never tries to get out of the way of the hit-by-pitch, but the umps never enforce that rule.

• zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:01 pm

He and Turner stand right over the plate.

• theroooster said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Agree – and Turner has been bitching about the high inside pitch getting called a strike lately. Only problem – they ARE strikes.

27. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Our 2017 Giants, folks.

28. djloo27 said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Too bad Gearrin couldn’t hold them at 10…

• zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:05 pm

10 would have been nice.

29. Macdog said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:04 pm

But they’ve been playing better lately!

30. Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:05 pm

fucking embarrassing. Cain needs to go away.

• willedav said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:12 pm

and at least for the next month take a few guys with him.

31. snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:06 pm

That was maybe, maybe the worst Giants inning in a decade.
    Not just the number of runs scored. The sheer horror and embarrassment the way it unfolded.
    But, there’s been so many the past season and a half, I can’t be sure…

32. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I highly recommend the Brewers score an insurance run.

33. snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Bochy was trying to nurse Cain to finish a disaster to save Gearin from coming in. Think about that.
    No. More. Cain. No. Mas.
    That is quite enough…

34. alleykat69 said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:17 pm

That’s a real eye opener Snarkk 😎👀👁😳
    Did they have a percentage of the UV eye protection? I would atleast have 100% SPE(sun protection eyes) if I’m looking at the eclipse🌞💥☄️

35. snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:21 pm

I guess I can’t get too ticked off at idiots putting sunscreen in their eyes.
    Baer has ordered the Giants to carry a done Cain for at least two seasons. That’s about as nutty…

36. Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:28 pm

I don’t feel sorry for Bochy. Every time I listen to one of his say-nothing post game pressers I just shake my head. Fuck him. He’s just a baseball guy, win or lose. They’re a dime a dozen.

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:42 pm

I hope he retires. Tired of his managing for the three run homer, with nobody to hit one, except Bum. I have no idea if he’s been going off in private on Evans / Sabean for the crap players they are giving him. Maybe he is. But, he keeps managing as if they are full of all-stars. If I were staying as manager next season, I’d be yelling to get as many new bodies in here as possible since they were out of it by late May…

37. wilcojoe said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Surprisingly we’re doing well in Houston. Last nights rains were without question the hardest and longest I have seen in the 19 years (can’t believe it’s been that long) that I have lived in Texas. No flooding to our home or neighborhood but areas less than two miles from us are completely devestated. People being rescued from the roofs of their homes, flooded cars stranded on the sides of roads, just crazy shit.

I can only think of two other times in which I have been glued to my TV watching the news all day long. The 89 Earthquake, 9/11 and now this.

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Dude, what part of H-town are you in?
      I lived out west just inside highway 6 and west of Dairy Ashford, a bit north of Memorial.
      Right below the upper end of Buffalo Bayou.
      I think that house I was in is probably in danger of flooding right now…

• wilcojoe said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:58 pm

We’re in South Shore Harbour in League City. About 3 miles from NASA. We had 20 inches of rain in 12 hours. I am still shocked we had zero issues with flooding.

Yeah, your old home is probably submerged. That area is notorious for flooding.

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 5:03 pm

My backyard boundary was 50 feet from the edge of the upper Bayou. Will keep fingers crossed for you…

38. alleykat69 said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:39 pm

That’s why I don’t want Ron Wotus as the manager. He’s a clone of Bochy and his lack of fire would get old like stale bread in a hurry!
    But unfortunately he’s the perfect corporate d•••sucker for the gig and they probably feel sorry for him with all the times he’s been passed over for a manager job before..

39. Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Wilco, thanks for checking in. I’ve thought about you more than once today. And now for another Bochy presser. Whatever, they’re all the same:

• zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Bochy looks like he’s in an emergency room with a head injury.

40. zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Dodgers lose. One loss closer to not tying the record. The Giants play the Dodgers 6 more times. That’s a good opportunity to hurt the Dodgers’ chances for the record. In theory.

• Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:54 pm

fuck that, I am rooting for them to break the record. Who gives a shit about who wins the most games in the regular season anyway? They’re going to fuck this up, I’m certain of it. Gonna need to come up with a way to make money off this. Will be in Reno next weekend, will come up with a plan.

41. Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:52 pm

that *shooting his load* video continues to slay me.

• snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Did they Saran Wrap the ring?…

42. Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 5:01 pm

If Fallon complains about her phone one more time I’m gonna tweet something nasty to her. People are dying in Texas because of water and this dumb bitch has been complaining about losing her phone in McCovey Cove for 2 days now. Fuck her.

• willedav said, on August 27, 2017 at 5:27 pm

I don’t watch much csn but her voice when she comes in with some lame update sounds like someone has a knife in her back…or um some other scenario we could only imagine.

• Flavor said, on August 27, 2017 at 5:30 pm

that’s a good way to describe her voice actually.

43. mrsprtdude said, on August 27, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Have been out of town. Read the thread but didn’t watch video. Craig saying it was still slaying me made me go back…Just watched. BAHAHAA. Can’t stop chuckling..

44. willedav said, on August 27, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Baggs said Posey’s thumb is still f-ed up from last Sunday when he was tagging Phils out at the plate and Pence hamstring still bothers him. Btw them 2-22 in AZ and each had a GIDP today. Said Craw wasn’t feeling well either and he’s been lone hot guy recently.
    Cueto fwiw got lit up in San Jose today too. 72 pitches gave up 8 runs and a slam to A ball guy after an error by Arenado’s kid brother, SJ Giants IF.

45. willedav said, on August 27, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Bochy is never going to go off on his players individually in a presser like we do here on the site…even if he’s thinking it he’s not going to call out O-shit for having no idea where his pitches are going or tell reporters it’s time for the Horse to be put out to pasture. Or tell Gearrin to stop giving up bombs to the first batter he faces if he wants to stick around.

That might be a fun thread: We get to be Bochy for a day and answer the questions like the one in the POTD or something.

• zumiee said, on August 27, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Bochy needs to get past the “this is hard to figure” talk. The team has been terrible in the regular season now for a season and a half. At some point a manager does need to more aggressively call out a team. It couldn’t hurt to try.
      If Bochy is the manager next season, then at least BamBam has to be let go. The front office has to send some kind of message.

46. snarkk said, on August 27, 2017 at 11:52 pm

Baggs reports Posey’s left thumb has been bothering him since home plate tag last Sunday. It’s a “nuisance”, per Posey, but HE HASN’T gone for TESTS on it.
    WTF – the team’s only star position player has had a bad thumb for a week and accordingly has been hitting like crap, is making $20 million a year, an he hasn’t yet had any tests on the thumb?…

47. snarkk said, on August 28, 2017 at 12:38 am

I said earlier today that flooding in Houston — it’s not just the water, it’s what could be in it. There’s a vid out there tonite on the internet of a guy in Houston diving into water in his living room to grab a fish swimming around in it…