Does Matt Have One ‘Moore’ Left?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 13, 2017

Last night we got Kershaw v Cueto, tonight it’s Darvish v Moore. Yes we are dancing through the loss-drops towards the end of this miserable season but these have been some pretty intriguing pitching match ups. Moore cobbled together his best pitching effort ever last year around this time vs these same Dodgers. If you are Matt Moore isn’t this go time for you personally? He’s got two tasty team options in 2018 and 2019. Would the Giants seriously consider buying this guy out after the season? I think they’d pay the paltry 9mil and just hope he reaches down and finds a nut sack or a soul or something. We’re not talking about Matt Cain. Moore theoretically should still have something left……

1. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:03 am

By far he’s been the biggest disappointment. He was supposed to shore up the rotation and give us the solid #2 to balance the wildness of Samarj. Instead we get nibbling and walks galore amid no clue of where he’s throwing. Back in Blach did better and had much more command than our supposed #2.

2. willedav said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:16 am

Blach has ERA of almost 5.00. Smrdz and Cueto at 4.50, Stratton at even 4.00 with WHIP over 1.50. Bum is 3.55. Not a good year at all for SPs, and Moore is worst at 5.30. Ugh.

LA goes on road next vs. Nats with home field advantage definitely at stake. Shea said in column today Nats have NL best starting rotation—3 guys under 3.00 ERA for the year. Their worst guy Roark at 4.48 would be Giants second best.

And yes they do have powerful LU that except for Harper right now almost intact as Werth and Turner coming back. They are 5th in HRs (4 guys at 20+) but lead most other categories including runs doubles and OPS.
    Hope they can take down LA– they’d be good team to watch vs. AL in WS.

3. snarkk said, on September 13, 2017 at 10:23 am

As said in Cool Hand Luke, Moore has to “get your mind right”. They pick up his 2018 option, and then see what happens…

• alleykat69 said, on September 13, 2017 at 11:30 am

Maybe management shoves 50 hard boiled eggs down Moore’s throat to egg him on some..

• snarkk said, on September 13, 2017 at 11:41 am

Love that movie. The scene with the girl in shorts washing her car is awesome– I’ve seen the flick on TV before where that scene is cut. Strother Martin was great. Today, his character would be an asst. attorney general in the Civil Rights division…

4. zumiee said, on September 13, 2017 at 11:19 am

It was a bummer the Giants weren’t able to complete the ninth inning comeback last night. Posey and Hundley couldn’t make contact against Janssen at the end. Oh well. The Dodgers had to struggle to beat a not-very-good Giants team.
    The 2017 Dodgers just don’t seem scary anymore.
    Turner should be hit by a pitch a least once a game for being that close to the plate. I mean drilled by a pitch. He and Utley both lean right into the strikezone.

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 11:39 am

Posey has nearly lost all his power. At this point, this is who he is. 12-15 bombs max. And that isn’t gonna get it done.

• snarkk said, on September 13, 2017 at 11:44 am

I really don’t see why he should continue much longer at C. He should move to first. Hundley has shown he’s serviceable as a C defensively. How many games does Posey win for this team due to his work behind the dish? Hard to compute, but I doubt not that many…

• Macdog said, on September 13, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Posey hit one off the wall in LF on Monday, but it happened after midnight west coast time, so maybe it was just a dream.

5. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Thing is, the usual power guy is your 1st baseman. Belt would have likely had 22-25 had he not gone down.

While it isn’t earthshaking output, it certainly is better than what posey seems capable of.

And Hundey isn’t gonna make up that diff . . .

• sandog said, on September 13, 2017 at 2:46 pm

I agree. Posey is losing power, so let’s move him to first base where his lack of power will be even more of an issue??? Hell, catcher is like the one position where we are set. Posey/Hundley is a fine duo in my book.
      Let’s upgrade all 3 OF positions, 3B, the bullpen and hope to hell our starting pitching does a 180 before worrying about catcher.

6. theroooster said, on September 13, 2017 at 2:24 pm

During the third, Tomlinson became the 25th San Francisco player to hit a home run this season, tying the MLB record for most players to homer in a season. The 2016 Mets, 2011 D-backs and 2001 Rockies all had 25 players record a home run.

7. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 2:44 pm

WillieD, the other day I said Cle had two guys with 30+bombs and 2 guys with 20+ bombs. It’s actually 3 guys if you include Bruce who has 35 (I think that’s the number). So THREE guys with 30+ bombs. That’s big time power in a LU man. BIG TIME power.

• theroooster said, on September 13, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Big deal, BF – The Giants have 25 different guys with a bomb! Whoo-hoo!

8. Stan Shell said, on September 13, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Looks like Snarkk agrees with me and moves Posey to first. If we have no trade bait to get a slugger, if no slugger will choose us in FA, and we can’t draft a slugger (when was the last one???), the what the fuck do we do? I read someplace yesterday that we have the 26th ranked minor league. I doubt if I will live 10 more years to see this wheel to turn again. I guess the three titles we won this century is it for me.

I think the TB Bucs (my team) will see the SB before the Giants even get back to the Playoffs. Maybe Moneyball?? Any hope anywhere?? Please respond if you have an answer.

(Anticipated responses) ……crickets

OSF

• djloo27 said, on September 13, 2017 at 5:33 pm

The Giants are likely to suck for years.
      Be happy with the 3. I am.
      I was happy with one…

9. sandog said, on September 13, 2017 at 2:49 pm

DId Tomlinson actually put one over the fence or was it an inside-the-park job?
    I’ll be amazed if he put one over the fence with that half swing of his.
    Either way—good for him. I like him on the 25 man, but not as a regular.

10. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I still don’t get how moving the 12 homer guy to first, getting rid of the 22 homer guy, and putting the 8 homer guy at catcher solves any problem but making us worse.

Specs is super sub. He made a terrific play at 2nd (after pulling Panda off the bag on a throw that led to 2 runs). Of course Kershaw was on 2nd because Slayter butchered a flyball . . .

• zumiee said, on September 13, 2017 at 4:24 pm

The theory is that Posey wouldn’t get as physically run-down playing firstbase full-time, and his hitting would have more power because of that.
      My take is probably different than everyone else’s on the Flap. I’d like Posey to keep catching because I want to see him make it to the Hall of Fame. Playing more years at catcher improves his chances.

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 4:35 pm

you’d rather see him make the HOF than be as good as he could be now and help us win now? Not me, I couldn’t care less about the HOF

• unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:32 pm

You really see Posey jacking 10-12 more HRs by not catching? I don’t see it.

• djloo27 said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:43 pm

As long as he has a few more decent seasons, Posey will make the HOF for the 3 titles and the individual awards. His career numbers won’t touch a non-HOF catcher like Ted Simmons who never won anything…

11. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Dusty catching a lot of shit on twitter right now when Scherzer walked the first 3 guys of the 7th inning, he’s at 114 pitches, and Dusty left him in. Scherzer then gives up a hit, and the lead, and then Dusty took him out. I was like, “seen it.”

• djloo27 said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:33 pm

And stretched him…. AGAIN!!!

12. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Man, did Dusty ever biscuit that one.

• djloo27 said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:34 pm

THE GUY CAN’T MANAGE A FUCKIN’ BASEBALL TEAM!!!

13. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Jesus. Matt MOOre up to his old tricks.

No fucking clue. His release point should be Sacramento, Kruk.

14. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:30 pm

I had hope we might actually take a series, but Moore may not get out of the 1st . . .

15. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:35 pm

I’m against moving Posey to 1st because we don’t have Gil Hodges behind him. We would have less power with Posey at 1st.

16. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Jeebus. Darvish has a 1.55 whip with the dogs?

17. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Yay! More awful baserunning. By the guys who are supposed to be vets.

18. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:42 pm

lol. This just reads so fucking stupid.
    Yahoo: “Span grounded into double play, pitcher to shortstop to third to second to third to second to third to second, Pence out at third, Span out at second.”

19. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:44 pm

20. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Fuck me sideways. They have completely forgotten how to play. Guess I’m the only one watching.

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:46 pm

i’ve got it on in the other room. I’m currently working in the side office (hadn’t worked it into anything today)

21. Macdog said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Yay! More awful outfield defense.

22. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Ahhh good. Misery loves company

23. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Wheeeeeee! HEre comes the bo0mb,

24. djloo27 said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:48 pm

If Kuiper had any guts, he’d ask Robby WHY THE FUCK DIDN’T HE BRING IN AL HOLLAND TO PITCH TO RICK MONDAY????

25. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Think Posey throws him out?

26. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:50 pm

27. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Ahhh! Hang in there! Jesus. Who came up with that?

Was that 93 MPH or 93 pitches?

28. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 7:57 pm

29. willedav said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:01 pm

No argument Flav. Cle LA WAs all excellent hitting teams with plenty of power. But there are teams that hit more HRs like A’s Reds Mets and O’s that are all under .500.
    Khris Davis of A;s has 39 bombs…and they suck because of bad pitching and defense.

The Tribe Boston Nats and Dodgers are all at top of their leagues and have best pitching. It’s just the other side of the equation, allowing fewest runs and I think it’s more important to winning than how many HRs they hit.

==I’d graze Turner too every time he came up.

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:03 pm

pitching is obviously critical. So is hitting with power.

30. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:03 pm

• djloo27 said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:06 pm

You don’t seem to be getting much work done in that side office…

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Nobody knows what the fuck goes on in the side office, Loo. I hang out in here, get shit done or not, it doesn’t matter.

31. djloo27 said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Prediction:
    Panda goes 20/90/.280 next season.
    For Oakland…

32. willedav said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Can’t blame K and K. If the choice was sit and talk to Frank Robinson or watch Giants…

33. djloo27 said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:09 pm

El Presidente for manager in 2018!

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:11 pm

why not?

• djloo27 said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Did you catch his little tantrum in the dugout just now?
        He still cares when they play like shit and has the respect of the team…

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:14 pm

yes, I saw it. Loved it.

34. willedav said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:12 pm

17 games of the Tribe streak, they allowed 3 runs or less. .

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:15 pm

uh huh. What was the run differential?

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm

I’ll save you the research:
        The Indians have defeated their opponents by a combined score of 134–32 over the 20-game winning streak. Only six teams have a run differential greater than 100 for the entire season. Cleveland’s overall run differential of 220 is 52 runs higher than that of the second-best team, the Dodgers.

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:18 pm

• willedav said, on September 13, 2017 at 10:11 pm

pls. they gave up 32 runs in 20 games and it doesn’t matter? Even if all of them were earned, that’s an ERA of 1.60, over 20 games. 7 shutouts in 20 games. Pitching does not get much more dominant than that, right?

35. snarkk said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:14 pm

I’m for sitting Pence from here on out. The dude must be addled by fat laced coffee. He’s playing RF like catching flies and line drives is optional…

36. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:14 pm

swear to god, they keep letting those old foggies diddle around on the field and something bad is gonna happen one day. It HAS to.

37. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Pence is worthless.

38. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:19 pm

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:30 pm

that old man could have easily broken a knee or a hip

• theroooster said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Some teams use hot young chicks in foul territory for their ball boys. The Giants use old frail geezers.

• snarkk said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:56 pm

I think the ball dudes/dudettes pay something like $1K to the Giants community fund or thereabouts, for the privilege — it ain’t cheap to make a fool of yourself out there…

• djloo27 said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:58 pm

We use them in games, also…

• unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:23 pm

If they pay to do it, they sign a waiver.

• alleykat69 said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Loo, your 8:58 post epic!
      They have stumbled and bungled in the jungle all year a little Jethro Tull reference..

39. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Darvish is an idiot. How did he not know he was supposed to run?

40. Flavor said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:32 pm

it is still incredible to me (what Barry did)

41. alleykat69 said, on September 13, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Fuck Bochy and his lasted dumbass attempt to make a worthless player better by putting Pence in the lead off hole. Did the same thing with constipated stance Rowand with little effect! Panda next? Fucking pathetic.,
    Can this nightmare season end already??

42. James said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:15 pm

“my obvious point is that the pitching stats you listed didn’t matter much during this 21 game win streak. They’ve been fucking murdering teams.”

For the 20 games, if the Indians had scored 3 runs a game for 60 total while giving up only 32, they project to 15 – 16 wins.

• James said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:38 pm

And just for the heck of it, the Indians’ ERA before the streak was 3.67. If they had given up runs at the same rate, the total would have been 75-80 (instead of 32). Assuming 134 runs scored, it projects to the same 15-16 wins over the 20 games. The obvious conclusion is that the incredible pitching has been as important to the streak as the awesome offense.

• unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:57 pm

You can’t just take away the run support and call it the same. It’s far easier to win a game when you are 5 runs ahead that if you are one run ahead.

• James said, on September 13, 2017 at 10:14 pm

If you score 60 runs, and give up 30 you will win most of your games. There is no arguing that, plain and simple.

• willedav said, on September 13, 2017 at 10:16 pm

It’s also hella lot easier if you don’t give up any runs at all, which they did 7 times during the streak. They have the best pitching—it’s not a coincidence they win so often and so do the other teams with top pitching.

• unca_chuck said, on September 14, 2017 at 12:04 am

But your 9:38 post assumes they don’t score as many runs as they did, and they’d still win 16 games.

You can’t assume the same outcome based on hindsight.

43. zumiee said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Before the series started I said I’d be happy with one win, and I’m sticking with that.

44. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Can’t get enuff of MOOre.

45. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Holy shit. 5 mental errors to go with the 2 physical ones.

• James said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:39 pm

I only blame them for the physical errors.

• zumiee said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:41 pm

I blame them for the metaphysical ones.

• unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Those should count as errors. Getting doubled off on a pop-up, Pence letting 2 fall in front of him, getting thrown out by 30′ at home, getting doubled up in a run-down.

And this was just the last 2 games.

46. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 9:59 pm

They REALLY need to get rid of Pence. Now. Say he pulled a muscle in his fucking brain.

47. Macdog said, on September 13, 2017 at 10:02 pm

A momentary lapse of competency.

• unca_chuck said, on September 14, 2017 at 12:02 am

If by momentary you mean season-long, then yeah.

48. zumiee said, on September 13, 2017 at 10:05 pm

49. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Hunter Pence’s last 15 hits have been IF hits. Maybe it just feels like that.

50. willedav said, on September 13, 2017 at 10:18 pm

I’m starting to think if I had $9mil to throw around, I’d go get a reliever or 2 and let Moore find somewhere else to pitch.

• djloo27 said, on September 13, 2017 at 10:32 pm

I agree with that…

51. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2017 at 10:20 pm

52. snarkk said, on September 13, 2017 at 10:53 pm

If I were Giants GM, I would gut this POS squad in the offseason, and start all over. Fans will show up at ATT if I put a crew of ex-Ringling Bros. clowns out there looking for a second career. They’d be better, faster athletes in general, anyway…

53. unca_chuck said, on September 14, 2017 at 12:01 am

Again, I think Pence has checked out completely. Whether through his quaalude coffees, incessant video bullshit, or his finally getting laid, he’s fucking out to lunch. If I have to endure another season of him missing pitches by 2′ and letting pop-ups die at his feet, I ain’t going to games. I’d prefer Belt in RF at this point.

54. mrsprtdude said, on September 14, 2017 at 12:02 am

All is not lost. Philly won and we are rolling to the number 1 pick. Seriously. harper starusberg Clark are number 1 picks. Lets get after that.

55. mrsprtdude said, on September 14, 2017 at 12:02 am

strausberg

56. snarkk said, on September 14, 2017 at 12:08 am

Whatever the phuck their first pick is, the Giants will pick a damn RHed starting pitcher from Vanderbilt. Meanwhile, the Doghairs will pick some OFer or 3rd baseman dude name Cody Bellingass in the 4th round, and in 3 years he’ll turn into a homer machine at Chavez Latrine…