Celebrating…..Something?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 18, 2017

Anyone catch that Voggy thing? I watched some replays. I’m trying to figure out why that was done. I mean, Voggy was a big part of the 2012 World Series win. Three wins, one each in the NLDS, NLCS and WS. But he got blasted in 2014 and he wasn’t around in 2010.

Good Giant? Definitely. Great Giant worthy of all that pomp and circumstance yesterday? Uh, I’m not seeing it. This opens up the door for a parade of 1 day contracts.

I’m certainly not against it, the 2017 team has earned so few claps that dragging Voggy back to the mound for one last time (along with an unusual number of kisses to his son) is as good a reason as any to get the fans into the game.

I guess we’re gonna start seeing a lot more of this to distract the fans from the substandard product on the field?

1. blade3colorado said, on September 18, 2017 at 6:31 am

Just my take (and perhaps 1 or 2 others have said the same thing) – we have to lose at least 101 games, not 100 a la 1985. We need to wear this loud and clear, so management can’t say this is a “bad penny” year and we’re going to “reload” with the same cast of characters with minor adjustments . . . or some other nonsense.

To recap, the 1985 team is the only one in franchise history to lose 100 games. They went 62-100 on the season, were out-scored by 118 runs and finished 33 games behind the Dodgers in the NL West. The offense was primarily to blame, as the Giants as a team that year batted just .233/.299/.348. Jeffrey Leonard was the team leader in RBI with 62.

We must do worse than that IMO. Baer and/or the owners can’t be sending out silly letters with the Subject heading: “Wait ’till next year . . . “

• sandog said, on September 18, 2017 at 7:37 am

Hey Blade!
      I’m down with Plan 101.

2. willedav said, on September 18, 2017 at 7:14 am

Baer and his marketing BS. wonder if he’d invite guys from ’85 to the yard for a special 100L ceremony.

• Macdog said, on September 18, 2017 at 10:29 am

Oh man, that’s funny.

3. Flavor said, on September 18, 2017 at 7:53 am

Most of the radio sycophants are saying the Giants know their team is fucked and that they don’t need to lose 100 to all of a sudden have the light bulb go on. And I tend to agree with this despite what Bochy says. I think the side office is going to have a problem with how to sell tickets which is more important to them than trying to fix the team. So there may be a softer public line (ie, we just have a few tweaks to make) so the season ticket holders (who are lemmings) keep re-upping. Behind the scenes things are likely much more chaotic. At least I hope they are.

4. willedav said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:28 am

The guy on Baggs site Kurtenbach was pretty harsh in yesterday column about reality of improvement coming soon. Simplifying but he said they have to bring in power bats via FA, but don’t have trade package because they are unwilling to break up the core guys they still believe in (Panik Craw Posey Bum yada yada) and farm is so underwhelming for hot prospects. What FA bats would come here I wonder. Park is full and nice place to play but still suppresses HRs.

Not to mention, AZ is definitely for real and Rocks coming along nicely under Black. Division could have 3 of 5 spots this season and these teams have been there all year.

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:36 am

And the Padres aren’t chopped liver. We’d love to have some of their young talent.

5. Flavor said, on September 18, 2017 at 9:36 am

What do you think Barr and Sadek? are yelling at him for? He’s calling the ball foul and they seem to be pointing at the ball that is foul

• gianthead said, on September 18, 2017 at 10:44 am

Maybe the ball hit foul and rolled back in and ump properly called it fair???

I am actually in the very humid Istanbul checking in with this misery of a team and heading to Israel tomorrow…maybe 105 losses…

6. xoot said, on September 18, 2017 at 10:37 am

tomorrow is $1 hot dog day at the ballpark. Wasn’t it $2 just a week or so back?

7. Macdog said, on September 18, 2017 at 10:48 am

Concert update: I went to see Paul McCartney last night at The World’s Most Overrated Arena. You know going in that’s there’s going to be a bunch of hits, and yet it’s amazing to see the guy crank out familiar song after song after song after song — nearly 40 songs in all. Oddest one of the night: Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite. Day Tripper, I was told by my McCartney fan friend, was a rare treat, and Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End was an excellent way to close the show. Also was pleasantly surprised to hear Mac tell some really good stories in between songs, and for 75 years old, the guy has tremendous energy. A splendid time indeed.

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2017 at 11:44 am

Very, very cool. I’m a total Beatlemaniac.

8. gianthead said, on September 18, 2017 at 11:09 am

Seeing now that Stratton won again…hopefully they can sucker someone in a package…I still have Stratton, Blach, Arroyo and three or four other pieces (Crick?) for our new left fielder Giancarlo…

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2017 at 11:46 am

Trades would be so much easier if we had minor leaguers that other teams actually wanted.

• unca_chuck said, on September 18, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Throwing scraps at Miami for Stanton will kill us for the next 5 years, because that move will be the only thing we do.

• djloo27 said, on September 18, 2017 at 3:05 pm

If they had what it took to get him, they wouldn’t need him.
        There is zero chance of Stanton coming to SF…

9. Stan Shell said, on September 18, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Read today that the last time Astros won their division was 2001. Sixteen fucking years! Don’t think I can wait around for the wheel to turn at that speed. Good luck to you guys.

GHead, Giancarlo will be our OFr about the same way ARod signed up with SF “because he likes it here” (thanks to TF).

OSF

10. Flavor said, on September 18, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Why would Stanton (full no trade) EVER agree to come to SF? His #1 thing is to bang out as many bombs (and chicks) as possible. You think he’s going to willingly agree to come to a huge park like AT&T? No fucking way. And, as noted above, we have nothing to offer them. Zero.

11. Macdog said, on September 18, 2017 at 6:05 pm

The Phillies — the Phillies! — have scored 4 runs off Kershaw.

• Flavor said, on September 18, 2017 at 6:08 pm

grand salami no less

12. snarkk said, on September 18, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Giants had Bonds and a better team, still only made it to one series, and lost. Bonds was better than Stanton is now…

• Flavor said, on September 18, 2017 at 6:47 pm

agreed but I would like Stanton just because he would improve our offense in dramatic ways. Baer talking about tweaks and bullshit isn’t gonna get it done. Whatever, it’s not happening, not even really worth discussing

• unca_chuck said, on September 18, 2017 at 6:50 pm

But the rest of the team around Bonds for the most part was a shit-ton better than what we have now.

• xoot said, on September 18, 2017 at 7:08 pm

I read that on the way home tonight. I thought Baer’s tone changed, turned very upbeat, when he started answering questions about the real estate development of the parking lots.

• Flavor said, on September 18, 2017 at 7:10 pm

lol GREAT pick up. I noticed that too

13. zumiee said, on September 18, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Dodgers lost.
    Very groovy.

14. Flavor said, on September 18, 2017 at 7:13 pm

• snarkk said, on September 18, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Kershaw gearing up for the post-season…

15. blade3colorado said, on September 18, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Thanks for the Q and A article Flav . . .

Q: Do you sense that Giants fans are more or less understanding of the current struggles after three World Series championships?

A: I detect zero fan confusion about the commitment.

“Mr. Baer! Mr. Baer! Mr. Baer! Can you stop by the Flap if you have a moment after the interview?

16. pawliekokonuts said, on September 18, 2017 at 7:39 pm

MLB name of the day: Angels’ RHP Brooks Pounders. I mean, he HAD to be a pitcher, right?

17. pawliekokonuts said, on September 18, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Gianthead, shalom.
    Macdog, cool. I saw the Beatles at Shea (1966, amidst the ‘more popular than Jesus’ mess; just before last concert at the Stick) and stubbornly haven’t wanted to see Ringo or Paul. Ringo was here last year. They say he’s great. Holding on to the past. All Fab Four or nothing for me. That’s my M.O. And certainly no tribute shows. Nope.
    Got your ‘spendid’ inside joke.

• Macdog said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:43 pm

While exiting MSG, I heard a woman say she saw the Beatles at RFK Stadium in ’66 (although it was called D.C. Stadium at the time). I wonder how many others in attendance last night had seen the Beatles, maybe even at Shea?

18. pawliekokonuts said, on September 18, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Anybody ever read Tom Perrotta? I’m loving Nine Inches [stories; NJ setting, Macdog].

19. Flavor said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Looking forward to the tiger fan rant tonight. Cotton got scratched right before the game so the A’s had to trot out some dude with a 12.27 ERA for a spot start. No problem. A’s win 8-3.

• Flavor said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:09 pm

watched it. Eh, underwhelming. player of the game was Kinsler in case you were wondering.

• djloo27 said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:31 pm

It’s been a long year for him, too…

• Macdog said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:38 pm

The Lions oughta cheer him up.

20. Flavor said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:31 pm

something I’ve been kicking around lately: who gets more pissed off at their team, baseball fans or football fans?

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Hard to measure. Football fans because of so few games? IDK. I guess the ruling consensus, so I’ve heard, is that no one takes it out on their own teams like the folks in Filly.

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:33 pm

I think baseball just because there’s more games to get frustrated with.

• Flavor said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:37 pm

gonna sleep on this one, maybe turn it into a thread tomorrow. Anyone else got a thought? Let’s hear it

• willedav said, on September 18, 2017 at 9:12 pm

I think it’s football. With only 1 game a week, all week to vent. Baseball can turn around in a day and often does. More of a simmer than a full blowup.
        Interesting to look at blogosphere but I think college too football fans are more apt to explode on players coaches mgmt.

Chargers in LA seem completely doomed.

21. zumiee said, on September 18, 2017 at 8:36 pm

A Dodger fan posted this after tonight’s game:

With any luck, the Ken Burns’ Viet Nam war documentary will be even more depressing.

Posted by EdDunkle on Sep 18, 2017 | 6:52 P

22. snarkk said, on September 18, 2017 at 9:07 pm

This was SO predictable. I believe I predicted this several years ago when the ATT park mortgage stroke was a constant source of lamentation by Baer.

The $17 million annual ATT park stroke is now done, the stadium is paid off. So, now that this albatross expense, which Baer ALWAYS used as a key excuse about player payroll restrictions and meeting a budget, no longer exists, hey, it’s time to put that freed-up coin to good use to pay for good players to fix this POS team, right?

Wrongo. The team revenues formerly used to pay the stroke, are used now to help finance the Giants apparent real reason to exist — the Giants are a real estate developer.

Baer: “We’re essentially using those same resources to work on the Mission Rock project. The annual obligation is basically the same, or how I think about it”…

• djloo27 said, on September 18, 2017 at 9:13 pm

He sprung for about $75 on the gift he gave the Vogelsongs in the broadcast booth yesterday.
      A lousy framed picture with 3 or 4 photos in it. I have better stuff than that hanging in my crummy hallway…

• snarkk said, on September 18, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Timmy may have gotten a silver roach clip via FedEx…

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2017 at 9:27 pm

I wonder what Tim’s doing these days.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 18, 2017 at 10:05 pm

The argument does not exactly hold. The Giants are not skinflints. Not anymore. They spend on salaries. It’s more a matter of spending wisely. And they don’t. I’d be happy if they spent about as wisely as the TB Rays in the Joe Maddon days. Talk about ROI.

• snarkk said, on September 18, 2017 at 10:31 pm

I don’t like the idea of spending a few hundred bucks for a family visit to the ATT Park, and maybe 10% of my spend goes to fund debt financing a Giants mixed use real estate development, instead of to fund expanded international and domestic scouting, and other real baseball infrastructure that benefits the success of the team…

23. Macdog said, on September 18, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Baer mentions the Giants coming back after a “really bad” year in 2008. Except there also was a really bad year right before that, and two more sub-.500 seasons before that, and this is where the downward trend the Giants appear to be headed.

24. zumiee said, on September 18, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Melancon’s surgery scar. Yikes.

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2017 at 10:08 pm

After this season, the Giants will still owe him $48 million.
      That scar is pretty sobering.

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2017 at 10:15 pm

This surgery was more about his elbow than I was thinking

• snarkk said, on September 18, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Exactly what I thought — looks like the elbow was involved…