Sunday Grind

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 24, 2017

I can’t come up with a single story line for today’s game. Stratton v Kershaw? Pfffttttt. What’s Kershaw’s pitch count? Thank God for the NFL.

1. blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2017 at 7:41 am

I understand the Giants brass are planning a big send-off for Matt Cain. Specifically, per Chris Haft, “Matt Cain will receive a proper farewell from the Giants in the form of a pitching appearance during next weekend’s season-ending home series against San Diego.”

Think about that for a few minutes . . . Done? In 2012, Cain scored a five year, $112.5 million contract extension, which expires at the end of this season. The Giants are also going to pay Cain a $7.5 million buyout instead of the $21 million option they have on his services for 2018.

Just imagine for a moment that you worked at some job where your 5 year success rate was under .500 a la Cain at 35-45. Oops! Now imagine that same company overlooking the fact that you literally were on sick leave for approximately 2 of the 5 years you were employed. No problem, right?

In fact, this same company is going to honor you with a retirement party for your outstanding 25 years of work, overlooking the fact, that you were dead weight and useless to any of your coworkers during the last 5 years of your employment. Going away gift? Yes, of course – you’ll be getting a bonus check of 1/3 your annual salary. Lucky you.

Ok, now you can wake up. You had a dream, which only happens in baseball’s real life.

2nd rant . . .

Not looking forward to football season either. A friend posted something on FB about the season and my response was as follows:

“NFL games have more and more become an exercise in delay. Viewers must slog through injuries, time outs, penalties, officiating reviews, and worst of all, the barrage of advertisements that are stuffed between every break in action. By now, games feel less like sporting events than 3-hour infomercials. Consequently, I haven’t watched a complete game in 3-4 years. Couple the aforementioned, with this CTE disease . . . Well, in my opinion, the game should be outlawed. Unfortunately, that’s heresy to many people. Sad.”

• Flavor said, on September 24, 2017 at 8:26 am

It’s not nearly as bad as he’s painting it. And as you well know, having 20 fantasy teams rolling keeps any sport interesting. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on September 24, 2017 at 9:47 am

Blade’s rant about Cain is extra good if you imagine it being delivered by the Tiger kid. I wonder if he takes requests…

• djloo27 said, on September 24, 2017 at 10:00 am

I would put the big tantrum at the “dead weight” mark…

• Stan Shell said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Blade, I never watch commercials anymore in BB or FB games – -or BskB as well. Simply Tivo the game and start it 20 min late. FF through the commercials. I almost can’t watch anything anymore without doing that.

OSF

2. alleykat69 said, on September 24, 2017 at 8:07 am

In a wasted season it probably doesn’t even matter to the Giants that Cain is gouging them dry..Good rant though Blade I enjoyed it!
    Oh btw my prediction..They will start Cain on his Birthday October 1st for his farewell appearance only fitting I assume..

3. willedav said, on September 24, 2017 at 8:53 am

The Marlins OF Stanton Ozuna and Yelich have hit 111 bombs. Bour 1b has another 25 and C Realmuto 17 more, team has 190. However, their pitching is awful–2 SPs have ERAs over 7.00 and their team ERA is 13th in NL and has given up 183 HRs. They are 8 games under .500 with new ownership taking over and likely shedding payroll.
    Just a thought if Giants are serious about Stanton.

• Flavor said, on September 24, 2017 at 10:27 am

Stanton will never agree to come here. Total pipe dream.

• Stan Shell said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Stanton will be here just like ARod was. Remember when……

OSF

4. Macdog said, on September 24, 2017 at 9:12 am

In the race for the top pick: Giants and Phils tied at 61-94, the emerging (or maybe submerging) Tigers 1 game back at 62-93, and the White Sox 1.5 back at 62-92. Should be an exciting final week of the season!

• willedav said, on September 24, 2017 at 9:26 am

“submerging”, good one.
      Rockies, losers of 7out of 10 after being shutout by Pads, picking a bad time for a losing streak.

• djloo27 said, on September 24, 2017 at 9:55 am

Is there a “can’t miss” type out there that is supposed to be an automatic pick at #1?

• Flavor said, on September 24, 2017 at 10:42 am

• xoot said, on September 24, 2017 at 2:43 pm

the Giants have done pretty well with top ten picks in the Sabean era. Zack Wheeler is the only miss and that wasn’t a bust. Al Rosen did pretty well, too, way back when. But Quinn–holy shit, Steve Soderstram, Matt White, Jason Grilli and maybe Calvin Murray too (I’m not sure whether Rosen made that pick). Sabean still seems to be in charge now.

5. pawliekokonuts said, on September 24, 2017 at 11:09 am

Several friends and my daughter at the Bills game. Though she is a registered Republican (hunh?), she said she was ashamed that so many booed at people exercising their 1st Amendment right (which of course is their right, too, to boo).

6. alleykat69 said, on September 24, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Steelers never came out for the national anthem,pretty bold statement…

7. zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 1:01 pm

The book I mentioned, “The Last Innocents,” gets into the way black players were treated in the ’50s and ’60s in certain places. Just awful.

8. wilcojoe said, on September 24, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I hate to say this but Tom Brady is the GOAT. It’s blind homerisim to say otherwise.

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 1:27 pm

I can see your point, but as a counterpoint, I’d say he’s played in a weak division for most of his career. He’s playing during an era of lots of rules protecting the QB. And all his Super Bowl wins were barely eeked out.

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Also lots of documented cheating by his team.

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 1:30 pm

And, yes, there’s lots of cheating by lots of teams. The 49ers O-line was known for its leg-whipping back in the day.

• wilcojoe said, on September 24, 2017 at 1:44 pm

I don’t know if I buy the weankness of the division argument. You still have to get thru the playoffs and Brady has faced some pretty stout defenses over the years. Some of those Pitts, Denver and KC defenses have been as good as any. The longevity and ability to win with so many different guys around him is unbelievably impressive.

9. wilcojoe said, on September 24, 2017 at 1:48 pm

But yes, the over protectiveness of the QB certainly plays a large part in Brady’s ability to maintain his health. I doubt Brady would still be playing this long if he took that same hit by Jim Burt as well as the numerous others that Joe encountered during his day.

10. willedav said, on September 24, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Chiefs rolling. Marcus Peters btw Oaktown kid out of McClymonds.

Zum I’ll have to check that book out. Back in the day I read “Out of Their League” by former STL Cards linebacker Dave Meggysey, who talked about what went on his team in ’60s NFL.

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 2:05 pm

In the book Maury Wills talks about a security guard at an MLB All Star game that didn’t believe he was a player and wouldn’t let him in the locker room and kept calling him “boy.” “You’re not going in there, boy.” Someone helped him get in eventually. Wills went on to win MVP in the game. The guard was a sobering reminder to him of certain realities.

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 2:12 pm

White security guard, as can be guessed.

11. zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 2:10 pm

The Giants game today has all the hallmarks of a quiet Sunday afternoon mow-down by Kershaw.

12. willedav said, on September 24, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Another dumb NFL rule apparently cost the Lions, when 10 seconds was run off game clock by rule as they were a yard away from winning TD with 8 seconds left. NFL rules committee not sharpest tools in the shed.

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Usually that’s only done on an offensive penalty, so the team doesn’t stop the clock with their own penalty.

• Macdog said, on September 24, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Not sure what solution is since, if Tate had been ruled short of goal line in real time, Lions would have been hard-pressed to line up again in 8 seconds.

13. zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Pablo often uses that trick of blocking the base with his leg. It’s not legal but it never gets called.

14. zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Yeah, Kershaw’s great, but this is such a weak Giants lineup.

• Flavor said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:22 pm

you can say that about every Giants line up every day. This is just the right handed line up that’s weak. And slow.

15. djloo27 said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:29 pm

We’re the “Fredo” of the NL West…

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:32 pm

9 games behind the Padres. Can we even close THAT gap next season.

16. Stan Shell said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Please explain to me why at the end of this horrible season with nothing on the line, Blockhead pulls Crick after two batters and goes lefty-lefty. Isn’t crick supposed to be part of the future? let’s see how he does righty-Lefty. Am I missing something obvious?

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:45 pm

I don’t see any cohesive plan going on right now.

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Pence should have been unloaded by now.

17. Stan Shell said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Watching yesterday’s game, I came to the realization that the most logical place to trade Bumgarner would be to the (gasp) Dodgers. They have multiple players sitting on the bench that would improve the Giants. I know, never happen.

Say, wasn’t that an impressive at plate performance by Pence?! Third strike that anyone could call with their eyes closed. Were Pence’s eyes closed when he took it……sigh

18. zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Krukow said the Giants went with a youth movement the last part of the season and I laughed outloud.

19. zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:51 pm

The Astros and Cubs tanked for a few years and it did pay off.

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 3:53 pm

You have to draft well for it to work, though.

20. Stan Shell said, on September 24, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I’m announcing a moral victory today! Our blockhead manager pulled Crick after 2 outs in the 8th so he wouldn’t have to face a lefty. Brilliant! Then some one whose name begins with an “O” gets the third out. That’s managing.
    Who cares if we are close to 40 out- -we showed the world how to manage. We need to send him to Washington.

OSF

• djloo27 said, on September 24, 2017 at 4:44 pm

No more Blockhead, Seal. Maybe you didn’t hear about it, you’ve been away a long time…

21. unca_chuck said, on September 24, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Bochy coaches the way he coaches. He’s not going to change his style because you are disappointed in the season. He plays who he has. And this year he didn’t have much.

PS> He’s going to the Hall of Fame. You still have to buy a ticket.

22. blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2017 at 4:50 pm

“Blade’s rant about Cain is extra good if you imagine it being delivered by the Tiger kid. I wonder if he takes requests?”

Loo’s idea has merit, but the 🐅 Tiger kid would only be acting. He only “feels” it when the Tigers are involved. If you’re going to get an actor, than the dude from Network is our guy. Unfortunately, I think that guy is retired or maybe, dead. RIP.

No, this is an inside job and more important, WE NEED A RANT memorializing this putrid season on video by one of our own. Cain or anyone else on this POS team is small potatoes. To show the world that the “San Francisco Giants Blog” is fair and balanced (looking at the 🐓 Roosters of the world), we need a video rant smack dab in the middle of all those rings and flags on the right side of the page.

Who amongst us should be given this assignment? Not me. I gave up on this season about a nano second after Bum went Evel Knievel on us. How about Flavor? Nope – too sane, i.e., who else would maintain his composure and write a blog about this shit sandwich of a season?

Loo’s a possibility, but his persona and especially his humor is more suited to the written word. Twin, would have been a possibility, but his squeeky voice is a no go. Besides, he’s retired from the blog. Unca? Maybe, but I don’t know for certain as I haven’t spent significant time with him. James and Snarkk are too urbane. Xoot is a legal scholar and that might work, insofar as encompassing all the “nooks and crannies” of this season. Zumiee is too nice and it would come across as a Burns documentary. Willie is too much like Flavor, so he’s out too. Stix would be a possibility, but his current situation and address makes that impossible for the time being.

I could go on and on, but my choice is easy and I have first hand knowledge of his passion. At least 3 other Flappers also know who this person is.

Chi is the crazy, passionate, MOFO we need to do this video! I spent 5 unbelievable days with this dude and I can tell you unequivocally that Chi is the only one who could potentially be our Tiger guy. At times during our Boston and New York trip, I was ready to kill the guy for various reasons . . . and vice versa for him towards me too. LOL. Chi runs Giants HOT BLOOD 24/7 . . . Seriously. That being said, Chi is also kind, sensitive, and humble. Ask San dog, Loo or Mac. They know. I’m telling ya, we need to go in-house on this and Chi’s our man. Out.

• djloo27 said, on September 24, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Great analysis, Blade.
      I think Chi is just too busy.
      The Flap could use a youth movement of its own…

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Actually, no. I left out Wilco, AK, Bozo, Dirt, etc. Moreover, what do I know? Perhaps, we have hidden talent unbeknownst to me??? Wasn’t some actress discovered at a soda fountain?

23. Macdog said, on September 24, 2017 at 5:06 pm

In the top of the 6th today, Gorkys was on second with no out when Specs hit a ball to SS — right in front of Gorkys, who was easily thrown out at third. This is the kind of crap that’s been going on all season, veterans and rookies, mainly in games they lose but sometimes in the few games they win. So among the gazillion issues facing the Giants this offseason, how does one fix stupid?

• djloo27 said, on September 24, 2017 at 5:14 pm

My parents wrestled with that one for years…

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 5:51 pm

lulz!

24. unca_chuck said, on September 24, 2017 at 5:44 pm

You don’t fix it, you remove it.

25. unca_chuck said, on September 24, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Funny thing is, Blade, meeting Twin here (well, the Splash), gave me a cooler head regarding the Giants, and my teams in general. I still get angry (don’t get me started on the Niners), very angry sometimes, but it used to be all the time. I don’t know, this place is like a little island of sanity in an increasingly fucked up world.

At some point it would be awesome to organize a Flapper road trip to see Twinnie.

Trump calling NFL players sons of bitches is a new level of discourse in political circles.

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Kapaernick’s mom had a cool response. She tweeted: “I’m one proud bitch.”

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Agree. Would love to do that. Great post.

26. unca_chuck said, on September 24, 2017 at 6:44 pm

I’ll tell you one thing about going to football games, Blade. Sitting in the stands while the rest of the country watches commercials is an exercise in terminal delays. It is unreal to sit there and see a 4 minutes of nothing . . . kickoff . . . . 3 mins of nothing.. . . 3 plays and a punt . . . . 3 minutes of nothing . . . some plays and a TD . . . 3 minutes of nothing . . . kickoff . . . 3 minutes of nothing . . . other team gets the ball.

And this doesn’t being up the penalties, reviews, and timeouts.

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Exactly. A few years ago, I had Broncos tickets whenever I wanted to go. However, between the cold and interminable breaks in the action, I said never again.

27. theroooster said, on September 24, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Raiders getting rolled on Sunday Night.

28. unca_chuck said, on September 24, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Jimmy T’s D line is eating the Raiders alive. Good to see him back in his normal spot as a D line coach.

29. theroooster said, on September 24, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Total net yards :
    Wash : 472
    Oak : 128
    Forget the score, that is an absolute BEAT DOWN

30. sandog said, on September 24, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Hey Loo—relax, will ya? Seal is just breaking Blockheads balls a little bit and you get all fresh—acting like a fucking jerk. We haven’t seen each other in a long time around here and you’re ruining the party.

• djloo27 said, on September 24, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Sometimes Seal don’t sound like he’s kidding, you know, there’s a lotta people around…

31. unca_chuck said, on September 24, 2017 at 9:35 pm

I didn’t realize Greg Manusky reunited with Jimmy Tomsula in DC. Their defense looked pretty good tonight.

32. djloo27 said, on September 24, 2017 at 9:38 pm

Never liked Del Rio since he fought with Otis Taylor on the picket line during the ’87 strike…

33. zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Flannery posted this on Facebook. He’s referencing the awesome discussion he had with Dave Stewart on the pregame show. Some people didn’t like it.
    Gotta love the Flan.
    “Ok…I woke up went to work, and was thrown into a political discussion on tv, I have heard it all, and here’s my take. This is a music site, I’m thinking since the Anthem was written by a crazy man who was a slave owner ( google it), I have an idea…since some of you are blaming me for the protests, let’s do this….since Trump is actually causing these protests with his tweets, and his great speeches from Alabama with a few of the white hood in the audience ,I vote for no more Anthems before baseball games , and all sporting events, then no one will have a pulpit, or an opinion , just the great game…I want no more anthems till Trump is gone…it won’t get better, it’s gonna be a spectical going forward, in all sports….so why should the attention be on trump? That’s what he wants….anyway, I love you all, I’m not the problem, but I could care less how you feel about me just telling the truth, singing my songs, and giving all the money away to programs that are needed more than ever because kids think if the pres bullies, and the church fold ((I’m a preachers kid ) supported this evil piece of shit , then that’s the way it s supposed to be….WAKE UP AMERICA…and if my record doesn’t go
    ” cardboard” as Garth Brooks told me one night..haha, I don’t care, but I will not be stopped by anyone or anything from telling the truth…could care less if it isn’t politically correct…wasn’t that what the republican fox tv Trumpians said was needed? Ha..I’m all in..thanks for the invite to let it rip…love always wins, but tough love tells the truth, and it ain’t always pretty…Peace..love Tim”

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Not saying everyone has to agree with him.
      He wears his heart on his sleeve always, though.

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

34. blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2017 at 10:10 pm

“I’ve definitely changed my stance on Kap since he started kneeling for the anthem. His message was mixed in with a bunch of other bullshit and I still think he could have found a better way to protest police brutality but it’s now clear that he got the ball rolling on some important social topics that needed to be brought out from the shadows. I loved Lebron’s tweet today and he issued a 2 min video after that was even better.”

Been meaning to comment on this, but a 10,000 mile, 3 travel legs, and 25 hour experience (resulting in severe jet lag) Tuesday and Wednesday, coupled with seeing/being with my family delayed this post.

Flavor (probably asleep right now), that was a wonderful post by you. Quite frankly, your initial stance disappointed me. However, free speech means also listening to other view points and being respectful of other opinions.

Fast forward to your comment above, I was pleased to see that you changed your “stance” about Kap. However, I was much, much more pleased about someone that I personally knew could demonstrate a willingness to bridge the divide, insofar as not being so partisan/blind to another point of view. Dude, our country needs more people like you. In short, being close minded (too liberal or too conservative) is what’s tearing this country apart. Well done Craig!