When Thieves Were Kings

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 2, 2017

This disappoints me:

To me, the stolen base is one of the best things about baseball. Unfortunately, it’s become an inefficient tool. And with guys banging the ball out of the yard at a prolific rate it really doesn’t matter if you’re standing on first or second base.

But there is something awesome about a thief swiping a bag. The timing of it, the rush, how close the play always is. I miss the days of Rickey and Vince…..

Ok, so the post season match ups are set. Who you got?

Let’s start with the wild card games. I’ll go with Colorado and Minnesota.

1. sandog said, on October 2, 2017 at 7:18 am

No way do I see the Twins going into Yankee Stadium and winning that game. And I’ll go with Greinke in the other game.
    Team I’m rooting for overall is the Indians. Would love to see them end their streak and avenge last year’s crushing loss. Second team I’m pulling for is the Nats as I, like many others here, want to see Dusty get a ring. Plus, I love me some Bryce Harper.
    Of course, I don’t want to see the Dodgers win it and would rather not see the Bosox back in the winner’s circle either.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2017 at 7:23 am

I don’t want the Dodgers to win it, but it would mean, at least, the Cubs didn’t win it. I am so tired of everything about the Cubs. Every aspect of the Cubs and their fans annoys me now.

2. sandog said, on October 2, 2017 at 7:21 am

Loo, I’ll go 4 to 1 and 6 to 1 by Opening Day on your Wotus wager. Probably lower odds that you were looking for. I don’t see the Giants pushing Bochy out at all, BUT him choosing to step down and not ride out this ugly stretch (the dark wilderness as Blade so aptly put it) wouldn’t surprise me at all. And if Bochy steps down, I totally agree the team would give the gig to Wotus. And I agree with that philosophy as well.

3. zumiee said, on October 2, 2017 at 7:27 am

I see AZ and Yanks advancing.
    It wouldn’t shock me if they both make it to the World Series.
    More likely Dodgers vs. Cleveland.
    I hope not the Dodgers, though.

4. zumiee said, on October 2, 2017 at 7:30 am

The Nats will be the Nats, and Houston might be too inexperienced. I see the Astros going farther next season.

5. zumiee said, on October 2, 2017 at 7:31 am

A massacre in Vegas. More carnage in America.

6. Flavor said, on October 2, 2017 at 7:33 am

I went with the two road teams because Severino and Grienke just aren’t dominant. They are good, no doubt. But they could easily toss in a clunker and Gray and Santana (also not dominant but capable) could pitch well. I also think the energy is on the side of the Twins (not as much with Rox) due to their historic rebound from last season’s 103 losses. But it’s obviously not going to surprise me if NY and Az win.

• sandog said, on October 2, 2017 at 7:40 am

Santana’s stats at Yankee Schtad are awful. Plus, I feel the Yankees have a certain X Factor going for them this year. Won’t surprise me at all if they have a decent run in the post season.

• Flavor said, on October 2, 2017 at 8:43 am

you’re probably right.

7. willedav said, on October 2, 2017 at 8:15 am

Loved the speed guys too. I remember one year Pirates Moreno (dug that guy and team) stole 97 or 98 and got beat out by Ron LeFlore.

Rox did really well on road/AZ did really well at home so something gives. Saw numbers on Blackmon too in F/G chat on NL MVPs—at home he was unreal, on road average to below. Love to see Greinke get a shot at LA too.

8. willedav said, on October 2, 2017 at 8:24 am

Re: Sando I think Loo is right he’d be low cost/vet with rings guy welcome lot of places. I can see Giants bringing him back with Arroyo 2018. He’s different too without his Latin buddies around to do pregame handshake routines; I think he’s even toned down his pre AB batting ritual.

Guy I wonder about is Strick. giants have RH options and you wonder if he’s fallen afoul of Posey/Craw Honkytown clubhouse. Flan went on very public rant dissing him too for being selfish and hurting the team.

I also wonder this–since it’s widely rumored that others knew he was gonna drill Harper if he got chance, what if Posey knew too and told him, “Dude do that and you’re on your own.” whereas Smardz went out there for him to get at Harper.

He’s been putting up better numbers each season and I’m sure another team looking for pen depth (almost everyone) would take chance on him.

9. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2017 at 10:07 am

Willie, that scenario was confirmed. Strick said to Posey, “I’m drilling him, you stay out of it.” Unless we really overhaul the pen, Strick prolly stays.

Pablito is a cheap guy to bring back next year. He’s at least in camp to try and make the squad. Like I said, if he comes in in some reasonable shape that isn’t round, he could very well make the team. Him on the bench isn’t too bad a scenario. I’d love for Pence to join him there.

• snarkk said, on October 2, 2017 at 10:10 am

Ugh, re Pablo. If he’s on the squad, by definition the FO didn’t do near enough in the offseason …

10. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2017 at 10:08 am

And I LOVED Tim Raines back in the day. Loved his game.

11. snarkk said, on October 2, 2017 at 10:12 am

As for post-season, I’m rooting for the Nats and Dusty. Don’t care much about who else does what…

12. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2017 at 11:04 am

Yanks beat Twins
    Arizona beats Colorado
    That is all for now…
    Except when you need a change go to Speede Oil change..

13. theroooster said, on October 2, 2017 at 11:56 am

Guess the nutso’s father was a bank robber, at one time on the FBI’s 10-most wanted list, described as a “suicidal psychopath”. He inherited the psycho gene, apparently.
    I’m rooting for the Rockies and Twins.
    Who do I think will most likely win?
    The Dirty Snakes and Yanks, of course.

14. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2017 at 12:01 pm

I agree with Chuck about Panda. The weight he reports at will tell you a lot about his commitment.
    I think he deserves credit for battling out of that historic slump.

As far as Posey, it’s troubling that he could only manage 12 homers in the year of the super juiced ball.

15. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2017 at 12:09 pm

If the Giants were going to whack any coaches, isn’t today the day they would announce it?
    I’m sure it’s already been decided.
    Maybe they’re waiting to see if Nevin gets the Tigers job..

16. wilcojoe said, on October 2, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Godspeed Tom Petty…One of the all time greats.

17. zumiee said, on October 2, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Shocking news about Tom Petty. Some celebrity deaths are more shocking than others.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2017 at 3:24 pm

I don’t think I ever saw him in concert. I’m trying to remember if I ever saw him at one of the Bridge Benefit concerts.
      I was in line one time for tickets when he and his band played several shows at the Fillmore or Warfield, but the tickets sold out so quickly I never got them. This was before people could buy tickets at home on the internet.

• theroooster said, on October 2, 2017 at 5:28 pm

• theroooster said, on October 2, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Like a lot of well travelled musicians that have a vast musical library to pull songs from, Petty was one of those where you can find songs of his that were not played “over the airwaves” that blow doors over much of the crap that IS played over the airwaves. The above song one example.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Great recording, and I’ve always loved Mike Campbell’s guitar work.

• wilcojoe said, on October 2, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Mike Campbell is easily one of the top 5 greatest guitarists of all time.

18. zumiee said, on October 2, 2017 at 6:17 pm

And now the news media is backtracking a bit, saying they don’t have official confirmation of his death.

• Macdog said, on October 2, 2017 at 7:15 pm

While everyone is blaming the media, the LAPD is the one with the bad info. From the LAPD HQ twitter:

The LAPD has no information about the passing of singer Tom Petty. Initial information was inadvertantly provided to some media sources

However, the LAPD has no investigative role in this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience in this reporting.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Now they’ve just announced his fall tour dates…

19. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2017 at 8:17 pm

When we saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in Napa, he walked out and said “I’m gonna play a song I haven’t played in 35 years.” He proceeded to play the very first song on his very first album. VEry cool Funny thing is, he was playing with punk acts back in the day.

20. theroooster said, on October 2, 2017 at 8:50 pm

LMAO – KC was a 7-point favorite. Everyone who took the ‘Skins and the points just got SCAROOODED on that bullshit final play kickoff. Unbelievable. A lot of pissed off bettors right now. And lucky mo-fo’s who layed the 7.

• Macdog said, on October 2, 2017 at 8:53 pm

And the over/under was 48.

21. willedav said, on October 2, 2017 at 9:00 pm

love those old boxscores Loo. didn’t remember Belanger as a Dodger.
    Lot of bad actors portending doom for SF in upcoming years-Rabb in LF, Pettini, Champ Summers. yukk.

22. mrsprtdude said, on October 2, 2017 at 10:36 pm