Napa on Fire

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 9, 2017

Yankees and Boston keep hopes alive. Niners do too, if you are hopeful of the #1 pick….

Woke up this morning to terrible news of several fires in Napa Valley. That is where Twin lives. It is not looking good for that massive region. Prayers for everyone.

Here are ESPN’s top NFL news headlines. WTF?

Screenshot 2017-10-09 at 7.27.59 AM

1. willedav said, on October 9, 2017 at 8:30 am

while those bottom two on list are probably most concerning to lot of sports fans, the respect the flag stuff Trump has set in motion will prove to be a divisive issue whether he survives or not.
    He has managed to get enough of his people in positions of power and influence to further his agenda (attack health care and environmental regulations, tax breaks for rich and corps yada yada). Too few Tillersons/too many Pence Sessions Conway deVos and others out there.

Read blogger comments about the Penn incident, which get pretty ugly.

2. snarkk said, on October 9, 2017 at 8:47 am

I was just up to that area in wine country last Friday. It was a gorgeous fall day, very little wind. Thoughts to all up there…

3. Irish Kevin said, on October 9, 2017 at 11:52 am

I grew up in Santa Rosa, reports the Kaiser Hospital and the Sutter hospital are being evacuated. Cardinal Newman high school burnt to the ground. Not good

4. zumiee said, on October 9, 2017 at 12:08 pm

I have visited Jack London State Park in the Sonoma area several times. It’s a beautiful peaceful area up there. I hope everyone is OK in all the danger areas.

5. Macdog said, on October 9, 2017 at 12:14 pm

The great Y.A. Tittle has died at 90.

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2017 at 12:25 pm

he looked about 100 in that iconic pic of him kneeling in the endzone with blood on his head. And that was taken in 1964! Incredible that he lived that long. He didn’t seem to have time for CTE

• Macdog said, on October 9, 2017 at 12:30 pm

My father says he was at that game in Pittsburgh where the famous picture took place.

• djloo27 said, on October 9, 2017 at 2:58 pm

He’s the first football player I ever remember hearing about. I also thought he was long gone.
        The meaning of his initials were a common trivia question before Google displaced bar room know-it-alls like me……

6. theroooster said, on October 9, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Classic Greinke here. This one gave me a belly laugh. From Today’s Times :

“In his often-awkward fashion, Greinke declined to comment when asked what Lovullo’s support meant to him.“First I’ve heard of it,” Greinke said. “So, I haven’t had time to think about any of it. It’s tough for me to answer something off the top of my head … without giving it some thought.””

Seriously? Unbelievable. He was merely asked what his Manager’s support meant to him.

Can you imagine being this dude’s wife?

“Honey, what color should we paint the den?, I was thinking either a light blue/grey, or maybe a shade of tan”?

“Uh… well… hmmmm… Let me think on it, I’ll get back to you in a month”

By the time he picks out a movie to go see, they’ve all stopped playing in the theaters.

Rely on this guy to pick out a restaurant for the night, you’re likely to starve…

• djloo27 said, on October 9, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Rooster’s always the man to see about restaurants in LA…

7. Flavor said, on October 9, 2017 at 12:58 pm

lots of bitching and complaining by the hitters in the Red Sox game today. These guys remind me of those whiny Washington hitters from 2014 post season

8. wilcojoe said, on October 9, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Hinch fucked up bringing Verlander in on 3 days rest, in a non “must win game.”

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2017 at 1:06 pm

agreed. Seemed panicky to me.

9. Macdog said, on October 9, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Bye-bye Bosox.

10. zumiee said, on October 9, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Y.A. Tittle’s life and writer/historian David Halberstam’s life were tragically linked. (Halberstam was featured in the recent Ken Burns documentary series about the Vietnam War. He was a reporter in Vietnam during the war, and wrote a great book about the war: “The Making Of A Quagmire.”)
    From wikipedia:
    “Halberstam died in a traffic collision on April 23, 2007 in Menlo Park, California, thirteen days after his 73rd birthday. He was enroute to an interview with former New York Giants quarterback Y. A. Tittle for a book about the 1958 championship game between the Giants and the Baltimore Colts. After Halberstam’s death, the book project was taken over by Frank Gifford, who played for the losing New York Giants in the 1958 game, and was titled The Glory Game, published by HarperCollins in October 2008 with an introduction dedicated to David Halberstam.”

Halberstam was being driven by a graduate student from UC Berkeley, I think. The graduate student survived the crash.

11. Flavor said, on October 9, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Dusty should just do the opposite of every instinct he has when he heads to the mound. He’s wrong nearly every time.

12. Flavor said, on October 9, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Cubs fans singing that dumb song after they win makes me loath them

13. Flavor said, on October 9, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Dusty takes out Scherzer at 98 pitches and 1 hit. He was obviously healthy today. Complete idiot move to take out a stud like Scherzer in that spot and put in….I can’t even remember the guy’s name.

• zumiee said, on October 9, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Kind of like Matt Williams taking out the guy who had 1-hit the Giants for something like 8 2/3 innings in that pivotal game against the Nats in the ’14 playoffs. To this day, I believe Williams was spooked by a deep foulball that Panik hit in that inning, barely missing an HR. It made Williams think his starter was really tiring.

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2017 at 7:04 pm

could be. Schwarber hit a very deep foul HR earlier in the game, maybe Dusty was spooked by that…..

14. alleykat69 said, on October 9, 2017 at 7:28 pm

One thing about Bochy he “Made all the Right Moves” when it came down to pitching in his 3in 5 run. Out managed,outguessed,every opponent manager he was up against, are they just self destructed themselves as well against a seasoned team with more experience in pressure games..

15. zumiee said, on October 9, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Greinke 4 walks already; pitching scared.

• zumiee said, on October 9, 2017 at 8:23 pm

5 walks now.

16. snarkk said, on October 9, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Dusty getting skewered for staff mismanagement. Wow, shocker that. Thing is, if his Nats would score a few runs, he wouldn’t have a chance to blow the pitching moves…

17. Macdog said, on October 9, 2017 at 8:42 pm

The pressure of this game is too much for the D-Backs, and it’ll only get tighter as they run out of outs.

18. zumiee said, on October 9, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Greinke is such a flop. $30 million a year. Flop.

19. blade3colorado said, on October 9, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Sort of reminiscing about our 3 in 5 after AK’s post. Specifically, thinking about how many teams hate us. As fans, we always remember the coulda, woulda, shoulda, but rarely flip that coin.

See if any of you can add to my list: Cincy, Texas, KC, Detroit, Nats, Phillies, and Bums. Cursory list WO Googling it. What other teams hate our guts?

• zumiee said, on October 9, 2017 at 9:28 pm

Braves in ’10.

• Macdog said, on October 9, 2017 at 9:28 pm

The Cards?

• blade3colorado said, on October 9, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Oh yes, that was especially gratifying for us IMO. I think we were an afterthought to the Cards before that series.

20. snarkk said, on October 9, 2017 at 9:27 pm

blade, how can teams hate the Giants? This year’s squad had the overall team personality of a cucumber. If you hate salad, I suppose there’s animosity, otherwise, what’s to hate?…

• blade3colorado said, on October 9, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Think Angels and Braves (after we won a hundred). In effect, weren’t you mad after those defeats? Frankly, it took me until 2010 before I was able to put those defeats in the rear window.

Spot in Mac and Zum!

• blade3colorado said, on October 9, 2017 at 9:42 pm

* on

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2017 at 9:47 pm

I was PO’d at the time of the Angels WS loss, but really not so much at the Angels. More at the Giants squad for blowing it. And, as for ’93 and Braves, uh, too long ago to still be ticked…

• blade3colorado said, on October 9, 2017 at 9:55 pm

My point is not so much hate (you’re right – hate is a strong word), but teams that want payback for past slights/defeats.

One other thing – day in and day out, the Giants have given us just about zero to be positive about. My hat’s off to the Flappers that have stuck around through this shit sandwich of a season. Me? I checked out long ago. Too depressing. In short, it’s refreshing to bask in our past WSs IMO.

21. xoot said, on October 9, 2017 at 10:20 pm

The DBags sure have been weak. But here comes Fernando Rodney for them! Not a good way to go out. Come on DBags.
    If the bums reach the WS I would love to see Altuve blast 2 or 3 HRs off Kershaw.

• xoot said, on October 9, 2017 at 10:25 pm

Fernando held back. In case the DBags tie?

22. xoot said, on October 9, 2017 at 10:34 pm

I wonder if any teams “hate” the Giants these days. Maybe the Nats right now because Strickland went off. But generally Bochy has prevented serious revenge assaults (even when he probably should’ve allowed some). Generally, the other teams just seem to respect the Giants and respond to them, competitively.

For example, after Lincecum’s devastating defeat of the Braves in game 1 of the 2010 PS, the Braves adjusted. They analyzed what had happened to them and then they took an entirely new approach to Linececum when they faced him in 2011, laying off the splitters, making him throw strikes. Of course, he was as it turned out past his peak. But that was the beginning of the end for Tim. Other teams saw how the Braves beat him in early 2011 and took the same approach.

23. zumiee said, on October 9, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Blanco vs. Janssen again. Pitiful.

• Macdog said, on October 9, 2017 at 10:45 pm

Goldy wasn’t much better.

24. zumiee said, on October 9, 2017 at 10:50 pm

D-Backs, they gone.

25. Macdog said, on October 9, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Snakes on a Plane . . . back to their offseason homes.