Cubs, Dodgers, Yanks, ‘Stros

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 13, 2017

I’m glad the Cubs advanced because there was no way in hell that Dusty was gonna make it through a series with the Dodgers without multiple fuck ups. Maddon is not a lot better, but they won it last year and the players have that confidence you need to have to get back to the World Series. I really believe that will be enough to put them over the top of LA who has a team without the confidence of having won anything before. And I’ll take Cubs fans over LA Fans and that fake noise they pump into The Latrine.

Yankees/Astros tonight. With everything that’s happened in that community lately, I can only imagine the excitement in and around Houston today. This is going to come down to Tanaka’s slider. If it has the devastating movement it’s capable of he’ll be lights out. If it’s not moving, as has happened multiple times this year, he’ll get blasted. Keuchel at home usually always reliable but it’s the post season and NY knows this time of year well. Looking forward to this game.

1. willedav said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:25 am

So Maddon and Girardi are only 2 left that have won it all before. Farrell and Francona, who had both won with Red Sox, bounced out. As even Sox GM admitted, taking the mgr. job there isn’t for everyone.

Looking back at this time last year, Dodgers had 2-1 lead before blowing last 3 including Opie taking the final L.

Cubs fans vs. Dodgers fans, lol. Can’t stomach either one.

2. willedav said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:18 am

Interesting to see if NFL moves Raider game. Niners and Rams both are out of town so either stadium could be used, or even Qualcom.
    Air quality not expected to improve much locally til middle of next week and Raiders have been cutting practices short. Hmmnn. Lot of HS games/practices have been cancelled all week in outlying areas.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:33 am

Highly doubtful raiders give up all that home gm revenue

3. willedav said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:27 am

Just read Yanks pen pitched 17 two thirds innings and allowed only1 run with 28 Ks.

4. wilcojoe said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:37 am

Pretty disappointed at the lack of national coverage of the wildfires. CNN barely mentions it. I’ve had to get all my news reports from family out there or SFGate. The east coast bias isn’t relegated to just sports.

5. wilcojoe said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:39 am

Very sad to hear about Twin’s cancer coming back. Fucking cancer never goes away.

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:44 am

It’s awful news and you’re right.
      Retire young if you can.
      Take your SS the day you turn 62…

• sandog said, on October 13, 2017 at 1:37 pm

“After you retire, there’s only one big event left.”

B Bowden

6. chipower9 said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:43 am

Wow. Been out of the loop (three week vacation across the southwest and a week of re-entry)…had not heard about Twin. I was thinking about him the past couple of days in relation to the fires (thinking back to when he lost his house in one of the previous fires). Cancer fucking SUCKS. Wishing Michael the best in his battles.

7. chipower9 said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:45 am

Tried to get behind the Natty Nats (really no strong feelings either way last night, but I was pulling Nats). Dusty strikes-out again…his team just couldn’t get it done. Perhaps some questionable decisions on his use of the pitching staff, but if they pulled it off…everyone would have thought he’s a genius.

Go Stros! Should be a good one tonight. Houston needs to jump on them early and ride it out. They DO NOT want the Yankmees having a late lead, and handing the ball to that bullpen.

Talking to my daughter this morn…time to start making plans for a trip to the Valley of the Sun and some Spring Training baseball and R&R.

Make it a happy and lucky Friday the 13th, FU.

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:50 am

Hopefully you arrive in Arizona in time to see Mac Williamson’s first injury…

• unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:58 am

Good ol’ Mac (under) the knife . . .

And for no other reason other than this was my mom’s favorite song . . .

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 9:04 am

That’s a superb nickname for Williamson…

8. unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:58 am

Weiter himself accounted for 3 unearned runs. at least. I don’t know if he was that bad all year, but he was bouncing throws, missing balls, and generally sucking hard behind the plate this series. His errant throw on the K was especially egregious whn he missed the 1st baseman AND the SS backing up as he missed the catch in the first place.

9. alleykat69 said, on October 13, 2017 at 10:59 am

Man you have to feel for Dusty,he looked like death warmed over during his press conference last night. His misery going back to Solomon Torres,Steve Bartman,Matt Wieters, the dumbshit runner getting picked off,has taken its toll..

• zumiee said, on October 13, 2017 at 11:13 am

He has that one piece missing in his remarkable career in baseball. He played on the same team as Hank Aaron, against Mays and Clemente. He played for great Dodger teams under Lasorda.
      He just needs that championship ring as a manager.

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 11:34 am

How about Joe Torre, Zum? Hall Of Famer – 4 WS titles as a manager, teammate of Aaron, Mathews, Brock – caught Spahn, Gibson, Seaver – played against Mays, Clemente, etc. MVP, Batting Title…

Post Season Appearances as a player: 0 (I think)

• sandog said, on October 13, 2017 at 1:20 pm

…and he went 10+ seasons as a manager before ever making it to the World Series. Made up for lost time with the Yanks though.

• unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Don’t forget his (unremarkable) time with the A’s. Dusty’s that is . . .

10. sandog said, on October 13, 2017 at 1:23 pm

I don’t know if they still run it, but last year at least the Nats had this great promo they would run for Dusty describing and showing all of his accomplishments and touches with greatness—including his alleged invention of the High Five. It was very well done.
    Obviously, he’s had an amazing life, but I do feel for him with all of these playoff heartbreaks as a manager.

• zumiee said, on October 13, 2017 at 2:41 pm

The sport seems unusually cruel to him in the playoffs.

11. alleykat69 said, on October 13, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Hey I feel if you don’t make it on a box of Wheaties your know big deal..

12. zumiee said, on October 13, 2017 at 2:38 pm

I agree about Torre, as another with an amazing career in the sport, and still working at the administrative level for MLB.
    Instead of fantasy camps where people play ball with retired players, they should have fantasy camps where you just sit around all day and talk with these former players and listen to their baseball stories.

• Macdog said, on October 13, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Baker and Torre were teammates on the Braves on 1968.

• Macdog said, on October 13, 2017 at 3:22 pm

*in* 1968.

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Torre is possibly Willie Mays’ #1 fan.
      He absolutely worships him…

• unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2017 at 4:41 pm

As he should. I’ve always disliked Torre.

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 4:50 pm

I don’t care for some of his crap, but I think he had a brutal home life growing up 5 minutes from where I’m typing…

13. zumiee said, on October 13, 2017 at 4:43 pm

““After you retire, there’s only one big event left.”

B Bowden”

That quote reminds me of what Vin Scully said near the end of last year’s season. He said that lots of people were asking him what he plans to do when he retires. He said: “I give them a one-word answer: live.”

14. Flavor said, on October 13, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Listening to the old ball players bs around about who they think will win the series is so lame. Who cares who Big Papi or ARod thinks is gonna win? Are people running off to bet their shit?

15. Flavor said, on October 13, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Is WIlco at this game?

• wilcojoe said, on October 13, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Nope. I was only able to get tickets for Game 6, assuming it goes that far.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Seems electric in there tonight. I guess that’s a given

• willedav said, on October 13, 2017 at 6:31 pm

wilco, is the format 2-3-2?

• zumiee said, on October 13, 2017 at 6:36 pm

16. zumiee said, on October 13, 2017 at 6:35 pm

I like Wheaties.
    Also: frosted cornflakes, frosted shredded wheat, and Honey Nut Cheerios.

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Where do you stand on Grape Nuts?

• xoot said, on October 13, 2017 at 6:47 pm

my 91 year old mother likes frosted shredded wheat. I have to keep the board and care home well stocked. I’m surprised anyone likes Honkey Nut Cheerios.

17. Flavor said, on October 13, 2017 at 6:39 pm

did anyone else see this during the game the other night? This is a skittles commercial. Scared the shit out of me. lol

• xoot said, on October 13, 2017 at 6:40 pm

yeah, I thought I had the wrong channel, some horror movie

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2017 at 6:47 pm

lol me too. I thought I sat on my remote or something.

• wilcojoe said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:05 pm

Yep I had to hit info on my remote to make sure I had it on the right channel,

18. xoot said, on October 13, 2017 at 6:42 pm

the great Altuve makes an error. Dammit. I really enjoy watching Altuve and Correa AB and in the field. 10 errors on the season total is pretty good. The great Omar, of course at SS, but still, averaged just under 13 (his uni number).

19. zumiee said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Grape Nuts is one of the worst, IMO. A really unpleasant cereal.

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:20 pm

It’s always been a polarizing cereal…

20. alleykat69 said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Grape nut cereal yowzer!!
    Wasn’t that old nature codger Euell Gibbons the pitchman for that cereal? Ever eat a pine tree 🌲 it’s quite edible..

• zumiee said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:26 pm

He then died, which hurt his credibility.

21. wilcojoe said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Syracuse about to upset Clemson!

22. wilcojoe said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:36 pm

What a performance by Keuchel. Pitch count be damned, let him start the eighth.

23. Flavor said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:37 pm

I don’t eat cereal. Eggs. Occasional bagel. Blueberries and bananas. That’s it.

24. Flavor said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:58 pm

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Grimace was my main man, but I respected the Hamburglar for wearing Giant colors.
      Ronald looked like a child molester and Mayor McCheese was obviously a homo…

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:24 pm

can’t argue with any of this.

25. djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:58 pm

I believe Count Chocula’s been discontinued…

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2017 at 7:58 pm

I think he’s playing in double A somewhere…..

26. djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Gearrin should study this Giles guy…

27. Macdog said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Speaking of commercials, the annoying Sweet Carolina and Doris Day tunes back-to-back is too much to take.

28. djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:28 pm

I think Bird wears #33 because the Yankees have already retired 1 through 32…

29. sandog said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:39 pm

If that’s Mayor McCheese on glass #6 (and I think it is),who is that other uniformed guy in the 2 hole?
    Sheriff Quarter Pounder?

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:43 pm

It’s the sadly understated Big Mac.
      GNR Sunday, Dog…

• sandog said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Don’t remember him. I agree Grimace had a certain je ne sai quoi about him that made him the stand out of the bunch.

• sandog said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Enjoy the show and I look forward to your review! What is the venue again? MSG?

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Yeah…I’ll watch KC-Pitt at the bar in Penn Station for as long as I can, then head upstairs. Supposedly they hit the stage at a ridiculously early 7:40…

30. snarkk said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Watching Cal game at brew pub. cougar player basically tackles Cal wideout before the ball gets there, right in front of ref. No call. wtf? …

31. sandog said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:44 pm

I’m a huge Rice Chex guy. Adding a splash of half and half makes them even better in my book. I also like Life and Special K. My favorite junk cereal by far is Lucky Charms.

32. djloo27 said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:51 pm

In Taxi Driver, I’m pretty sure DeNiro douses his cereal with peach brandy…

33. Macdog said, on October 13, 2017 at 8:56 pm

I do not put milk on my cereal. There, I said it. My family wonders why I bother putting it in a bowl, ha ha.

34. Macdog said, on October 13, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Wow, Cal passes on the FG and gets the TD to end the first half, even better taking advantage of that atrocious punt.

35. willedav said, on October 13, 2017 at 9:55 pm

If I’m the team with better record, I don’t like 2-3-2. 3 of first 5 games would be on road, as opposed to 3 at home in other format.
    Always nice to get that first one!

36. willedav said, on October 13, 2017 at 10:12 pm

way they’ve been playing lately, any conference W for Cal would rate a good one. Picking off Wazzu would be a great one, as kicker hits from 48 and extends lead.

37. willedav said, on October 13, 2017 at 10:31 pm

oh F that will make the highlight reel all weekend. what a TD run by Bowers who leaps in and gets completely turned around in the air. 27-3, Cal.
    Hope Snarkk gets a chance to see this.

38. unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Cal is playing out of their minds. QB did a complete flip to get into the end zone.

And yeah, honey nut cheerios, or frosted flakes. But there’s a great Italian bakery in the creek that has killer stuff.

Say Something....

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s