Another Freebie for LA?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 14, 2017

Unfortunately, this looks like an easy one for LA again. I know, I know, I’m running out of games to keep saying that. But the Cubs are pretty beat down after a tough series with Washington and then a cross country trip that went sideways and didn’t see them get into LA till yesterday mid day. Yes they have time to rest but the schedule has been disrupted, their pitching staff is pretty burnt up and this just isn’t setting up for momentum going into Game 1. Plus, Kershaw is rested. He gets a lot of shit for his post season failures but he’s never come into a start with this much rest. He will likely dominate tonight. Irritating, I know…..

1. zumiee said, on October 14, 2017 at 7:41 pm

I have to give the Dodgers credit on the building of their bullpen. They just kept changing and changing the bullpen until they had a good one. They didn’t hang onto the Gearrins of the world.

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Romo? Long gone from their bullpen.

2. xoot said, on October 14, 2017 at 7:52 pm

I’m worried about Houston’s pen. Can Kuechel (sp?) and Verlander carry them? (Today’s decision to go all the way with Verlander reminded me of game 5 in 2014. The vacant bullpen mound in the 8th inning said it all. Casilla (and Romo) were burnt out.) Otherwise, Houston is a great team, with the great Altuve and Correa up the middle of the field and in the middle of the LU just a joy to watch.

• wilcojoe said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:06 pm

The pen is definitely the weak link. No one is terrible, there just isn’t a lockdown arm. What’s surprised me (in a good way) is how Hinch has tried to avoid it at all costs. Yesterday he had his closer get six outs and today he rode Verlander the distance. Ballsy moves that paid off in a big way.

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:21 pm

yes. Loved that.

• xoot said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:21 pm

absolutely. It’s going forward that way that worries me . . . . But again, I remember when the Giants survived their regular-season nose-dive in 2014 to make the PS, I wondered how they were going to do next, with only one good starting pitcher and one good OF. I’d be pleased to see the Astros pull of the same miracles.

3. xoot said, on October 14, 2017 at 7:58 pm

I’m smack in the middle of the Springsteen generation, and I never much liked him. Nebraska has a couple of great songs on it; Tom Joad’s pretty good. Pink Cadillac’s enjoyable once in a while. I knew a guy in the 80s who revered BRUCE. He was stunned to learn what a Hurst on the floor was. I think it came up because he asked me about my first car. Springsteen was sort of whitewashed blue-collar stuff, giving upper middle-class kids a tourist trip.

• xoot said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:00 pm

well, he is still, I guess. He is still going, right?

4. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Jesus. Baseball is turning into the NFL with these extreme delays.

5. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Jesus. Does Opie just say aw shucks, it’s ok, take me out coach? Does Jack Morris come out of a game? Bummie? Fuck no.

Wow. The Posey rule is really stupid here. Charlie fucking Culberson???

6. djloo27 said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Baseball is so fucked up, I may abandon it next year…

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:20 pm

if you are down on baseball please look away if a football game comes on and you’re in the room.

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:23 pm

I’m a little excited about the Chiefs.
        Should I be?

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:24 pm

you and me both. Alex Smith is different this year. As long as there are no more significant injuries on either side of the ball I am predicting a Chiefs appearance in the SB. Remember this post. I know you will.

• unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Chiefs had a shitload of injuries that last game. Hopefully they get right when the playoffs hit. Smith is Smith. He’s always been this guy. He’s got some serious weapons this year. He never had shit with the Niners.

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:28 pm

The last time they made it, I watched it on a black & white TV in my uncle’s basement.
        I was 13…

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:30 pm

he’s different. He’s buying more time, not quickly checking down as often. He definitely has weapons this year. Watch him play, he’s not the same guy.

7. djloo27 said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Dodgers have no problem handing out their historic uniform numbers to anybody…

8. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Speaking of mitts, my mutt chewed up my Ryne Sandberg mitt a couple years ago. And she took my 2010 postseason hat with it as well. Damn dog. . .

9. zumiee said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:09 pm

The rule worked fine, IMO. What Ron Darling doesn’t get is that the only other option for the runner was to slam into the catcher, maybe breaking someone’s collarbone. Those home plate collisions had to go. They were always a ridiculous part of the game.

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:11 pm

And, as was pointed out, catchers can still block the plate if they have the ball.

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:19 pm

totally agree.

• unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:28 pm

How do you not block the plate when the throw brings you across the plate?

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:29 pm

it was a bad situation for that call but he was blocking it a nano second before the throw took him across the plate.

10. zumiee said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Springsteen is currently performing a solo act on Broadway. A combination of singing songs and telling stories about his early years in New Jersey.

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:22 pm

if i was him I’d shine that and go try to win the world series of poker. To each his own….

• xoot said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:35 pm

oh, yeah, I guess I read about that. fucking Broadway. I got roped into going to Disneyland once, but I’ll be damned if I’ll ever to a Broadway show.

11. Flavor said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:22 pm

btw, Culberson couldn’t have looked more like a replacement player on that play if he tried.

12. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Cubbies are walking guys at a furious pace. Whoever the LFer was looked like he could have caught that ball had he not wandered around like a drunk sailor out there.

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Schwarber. A catcher playing leftfield.

13. djloo27 said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:26 pm

I’m sick of all the Billy Joel/Bruce Springsteen fans around my age.
    There are very few things left that I’m not sick of…

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:34 pm

while you’re watching GnR tomorrow try to focus on how rad you felt the moment you heard Welcome to the Jungle for the first time. Where you where. Who you were with. I was driving to Togos with my friends on Alma Street, I almost drove off the road when that song came on KOME. Our minds were blown. Axel is fat now and they’re just doing this as a money grab but back in the the day they were the best music around…..

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:42 pm

For about a 2 year period, they were the best rock band in the world, before imploding. Nirvana then took over and we know how that ended. Then, Radiohead was the best. And then rap took over the world and relegated rock music to a niche music.

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Thanks, Flavor. I needed a little kick in the ass. I’m gonna try that…

14. zumiee said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Last night I watched a documentary about Janis Joplin I’d had on the DVR for a while, off of PBS. I’m not a fan of her music, but her story is very moving, and the documentary does a good job of showing why she was such a big star at the time of her death. It’s called “Little Girl Blue.” A fragile woman with an amazing powerful soulful voice.

• xoot said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:40 pm

there’s a portrait of Janis J up on the side of a building in North Beach, across the street from my favorite lunch spot. Seeing her there always gives me a lift. At her peak, she used to wake up so hungover she’d have to shoot heroin to settle down. But man she could sing.

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:55 pm

One of several to die at age 27. Also Morrison, Hendrix, and Cobain.

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:58 pm

27! So young. The Beatles were recording Sgt. Pepper at 27. Amazing. Bumgarner had pitched in 3 World Series by that age.

15. wilcojoe said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Fucking Puig trying to correct the reporter about how many PS home runs he has hit. And he’s wrong. What an ass.

16. zumiee said, on October 14, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Poor rabbit on the Stanford field. Doesn’t know where to go.

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2017 at 9:18 pm

If I had a pet rabbit, I’d name it Hedevar…

• snarkk said, on October 14, 2017 at 10:19 pm

I have one.
        Meet Harvey…

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Harvey’s good, Snarkk.
        Hedevar can only be understood by ancient racing fans…

17. snarkk said, on October 14, 2017 at 10:18 pm

After 4+ years of NCAA investigation, the N. Carolina basketball program emerges unscathed. No penalties, not at all. Nada. Scott free to keep on truckin’. Though plenty of evidence of grade fraud of players not taking classes and/or barely taking them, and coverup of the whole deal. If Sac State or SDiego State or YounameitU had done the same, of course a big time penalty would have come down on that school…

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Scott free as in Charlie Scott?