Cereal and Led Zeppelin

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 16, 2017

Well, we covered cereal and fav songs this weekend. Felt like we got a lot done. Joe Maddon reinforced the perception that he is completely overrated. But as bad as his bullpen decisions were it just doesn’t seem like the Cubs have it right now. I am accepting, slowly, that the Dodgers will be making it to the world series for the first time since my original passport expired.

Go Astros.

Screenshot 2017-10-16 at 7.47.42 PM

1. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 10:09 am

Hopefully the Cubbies come to life at home. I ain’t holding out a lot of hope, but hey we did it, on the road no less. Opie was beatable the other day, and he looks to stumble again.

2. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 11:49 am

“Like the Beatles, they get way too much credit for the things they did.”

More blasphemy! The Beatles can never get too much credit, IMO.

3. wilcojoe said, on October 16, 2017 at 1:13 pm

When did Joe Maddon start using Just For Men? He looked better when he resembled Pawlie Kokonuts.

4. alleykat69 said, on October 16, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Definitely using just for men!
    When Maddon was with Tampa I thought he was a dead ringer for Spencer Tracy..

5. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Ahhh, the Beatles sold out for fame. They did turn into something special, but look at the band in 1961, and then look at them in 1964. they came up as tough guys in the late 50s, early 60s. Black leather rockers. No smiles, they were playing US blues and English skiffle. By 64 they had gone commercial with the suits and ties and happy crappy songs. They were the first boy band.

Sell out . . .

beatles61

beatles64

6. alleykat69 said, on October 16, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Back to cereal, Kellogg’s had this cereal called Concentrate in the 60’s in a gold box that poured from the side of the box that cereal was the bomb!

7. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 2:21 pm

I mean really. Can you listen to “Beat the Meatles!” now? “I wanna hold your hand”? “Hold me tight”? “PS, I love you”?

Pre-teen girl wet fantasy shit.

• Flavor said, on October 16, 2017 at 2:58 pm

i can safely say I have never liked a single beatles tune. Not one. I never got them at all…..

• theroooster said, on October 16, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Oh C’mon, BF!
        A Day in the Life?
        Here Comes the Sun?
        Revolution?
        Come Together?
        While My Guitar Gently Weeps???
        You can’t be serious.

8. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 3:44 pm

The Beatles were a revolutionary unstoppable force in pop culture, the likes of which was not seen before or since. Unstoppable because of their awesome overwhelming talent. Almost every aspect of rock music we enjoy today was invented by them. They did it first, and they usually did it best. They don’t need me defending them. Their position in history is secure as the greatest rock band in history. They had two of the greatest songwriters in world history, and Harrison was very good also. And they worked very hard at their songwriting and recordings in an era when they were expected to produce a couple of albums per year, an insane pace. One of the reasons the band broke up was sheer exhaustion.

9. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 3:47 pm

That’s revisionist history to say the Beatles’ look in ’64 was tame. Their hair was quite revolutionary, and it only kept getting longer.

10. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Those early Beatle songs are very well crafted and influential. The opening chords to “I Want To Hold Your Hand” were unlike anything heard before. There’s a little distortion on those guitars, and helped open new sounds for guitars.

11. alleykat69 said, on October 16, 2017 at 3:57 pm

They broke up just as much over Yoko Ono then anything else.Only Lennon liked the bitch since he married her. McCartney,Harrison,Starr dispised her.
    Rocky Raccoon now that’s a great Beatles song! White Album one of the best all time imo..

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:06 pm

That’s not correct on the break up. If you read what all of them said later, they were all ready to move on to solo careers. Ringo was the only one of them rooting for the band to continue.
      Yoko became the scapegoat, but the thing was that none of them wanted to be the first to officially leave the band. John knew that bringing Yoko to recording sessions would force the issue. So Paul became the first to leave the band. It was not John’s most courageous moment.

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:21 pm

John Lennon quit the band about 10 times before it finally took. So did George Harrison and Ringo at various times near the end. IIRC Ringo had the first #1 hit after the breakup. It Don’t Come Easy.

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Paul was the first to announce it to the media and make it official.

12. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Yes, they were good looking guys, and chicks dug’em, but that never compromised their music. In fact, they stopped touring because all the screaming was annoying them.
    They kept growing and evolving as a band. Their work stands the test of time.

13. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Oh come on. They stole from Chuck Berry and Little Richard like all the other blue eyed blues singers of the early 60s. I’m not saying their look was tame, just that in the 50s and early 60s they were Rockers in the English sense. They went Mod and very pop and they took off. Sure their sound structures and all that were ground-breaking and intricate (George Martin), but it was still written and directed at the teen market designed to make them mountains of cash. Listen to Link Wray for feedback.The greatest guitarist no one has heard of. He was in the 50s.

They became victims of their own fame, sure, but they were behind the whole thing in the first place. I’ll give them Abbey Road, Revolver, and Sgt Pepper. Yellow Submarine? Please.

PS. While my guitar gently weeps is really George Harrison and Eric Clapton, not the Beatles. I think it is the best thing either has done.

• theroooster said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Huh? “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” was released on the 1968 double album “The Beatles” (also known as “The White Album”).
      George Harrison – double-tracked vocals, backing vocal, acoustic guitar, electric twelve-string guitar, Hammond organ
      Paul McCartney – harmony vocal, piano, bass guitar
      John Lennon – electric guitar with tremolo
      Ringo Starr – drums, tambourine, castanets
      Eric Clapton – lead guitar (uncredited)
      You don’t think those are the Beatles? LMOA

14. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:13 pm

My whole point is it was a conscious decision on their part to change their look and style to sell albums. And they did start a revolution.

There’s nothing wrong with that, but they did sell out.

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:22 pm

I don’t agree with you, but we’re talking about 1 year or so in the band’s existence. By ’65 they were recording “Rubber Soul” and everything they were doing was hugely influential. Bands were forming right and left because of the Beatles.

15. xoot said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:19 pm

A lot of the great rockabilly guys used distortion. Johnny Burnette (original Train Kept a Rollin, et al) discovered that he could get the sound he wanted by loosening a vacuum tube or two in his amp.

• xoot said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:19 pm

in the early days, the Beatles also slavishly imitated Carl Perkins

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:29 pm

The Beatles loved American music from the ’50s. They often said it was a big influence on them.

16. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:38 pm

In addition to all the other things the Beatles did, they also invented the music video.

17. Flavor said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Chuck, a lot of what determines whether you like or dislike a band seems to get caught up on whether they *stole* stuff from other artists or *sold out*. I don’t really care about stealing riffs from others, it’s been a pretty common practice from the beginning and if you rock (like Led Zeppelin) you fucking rock.
    People don’t believe me when I say I don’t like a single Beatles tune but it’s the truth. Some of the songs Rooster listed off are ok and I guess I tolerate those more than the majority of other Beatles works but by in large they are a big “meh” for me.
    I also didn’t like any of the Star Wars movies (although I only saw the first one and it was a huge *meh* for me too). I was 10 when the first one came out so this is surprising to people…..

18. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 4:51 pm

I get the huge influence of blues on rock’n roll, and some might see rock as just a branch of the blues or something like that. I don’t see it that way. I see blues and rock as distinct genres. Bill Hailey and the Comets’ “Rock Around The Clock” is a blues pattern, but it’s something different than a blues song.
    Chuck Berry was certainly a transitional figure. Hugely important.

19. xoot said, on October 16, 2017 at 5:08 pm

My family moved to England the first week of October 1962, same week the Beatles released their first single (love me do). I was twelve We were there for three years, as everything went wild. Music on TV all the time. The Stones were the disruptors. And they paid huge tribute to their sources and over the years stayed true to them too, by and large. I wanna hold your hand CUZ I’M A KING BEE, BUZZIN ROUND YOUR HIVE

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 5:16 pm

The problem I have with the Stones is that their body of work is so uneven. A lot of hit and miss.
      But they do still put on a great show, even in their 70s.

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 5:34 pm

The Beatles’ solo work was very uneven, too.

20. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 5:24 pm

One of the cool things about the Beatles is that deeper study has its rewards. In this 2 minute video, a guy shows how the Beatles constructed the famous opening chord to “A Hard Day’s Night.” All that effort for one chord. Why did they bother? They were insatiably curious about their own talent. It was a wonder to them, too.

21. sandog said, on October 16, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Kat, I’d love to get a skink on and crush a few bowls of that Concentrate cereal you mentioned! Googled it and looks like good shit. By the way, I always eat my cereal with a soup spoon, or what some people may call a table spoon. Life’s too short to be eating cereal with those little spoons.

• wilcojoe said, on October 16, 2017 at 5:53 pm

No fucking way I could eat that if it really resembled “fish food pellets.”

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 6:08 pm

I had never heard of it.

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 6:06 pm

I totally agree. It has to be a big spoon for cereal.

22. sandog said, on October 16, 2017 at 5:48 pm

I like the Beatles a lot…especially John’s tunes. I do love Chuck’s line that they were the first boy band. I don’t agree, but I think I will use that line next time I get around a Beatles-worshipper, just to get a rise out of them.
    Favorite Beatles song of all time? I know, I know, SO hard to pick one.

Mine is “I am the Walrus”

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 5:52 pm

It’s a great one. ELO built their entire career on that song.

• theroooster said, on October 16, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Ha! My older brother was a huge ELO fan in the 70’s – had all the albums, used to play them all the friggin’ time, blast them from his room. He was big into the Beatles as well, but I remember the ELO more for some reason.
        “Can’t Get it Out of My Head”. You got that right!

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 6:52 pm

I like ELO. I tend to think of them as a guilty pleasure.

• theroooster said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Yep, I do too. Some Elton John I also like. He was another of my bro’s favorites.

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Yeah, there’s a lot of Elton John songs that I like. There’s a lot of hit singles but there are some cool album tracks like “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters” and “My Father’s Gun.” There are some great Bernie Taupin lyrics. Some bad ones, too; but many cool ones.
        I think cocaine addiction in the ’80s derailed Elton’s work, but he finally got help. Like a lot of performers from that era, he was fortunate not to die of excesses, and lives much healthier now.

23. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Frazier with a ridiculous fungo HR to right field at Yankee Stadium.

24. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Flav, what pisses me off about Zep is they knowingly stole from the guys they supposedly worshipped. That has nothing to do with my being tired of them though. Like ‘Dawg said about the Beatles, I had so many friends that worshipped everything Zepp so I’d fuck with ’em to get them pissed. They DID however lose the Howlin’ Wolf suit. They were forced to pay royalties and give credit where it was due. They had at one point 6 or 7 lawsuits for stealing shit.

Yeah, While My Guitar Gently Weeps is my favorite Beatles tune. But I rarely ever sit down and listen to a Beatles album. The Stones? Pink Floyd? Hendrix? The Who? Hell yeah. Sticky Fingers, Goat’s Head Soup Beggar’s Banquet, Let it Bleed, Exile on Main St. I listen to those a lot. Those are all great albums. And they all came out consecutively. They may be uneven, but that run of albums is spectacular.

25. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Beats watching Houston puke on their shoes toinght.

26. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 6:50 pm

One of the better gifs.

27. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Elo and Reo Speedwagon . . . never got into them.

28. wilcojoe said, on October 16, 2017 at 6:58 pm

My chances of seeing a Game 6 are looking up.

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Heh heh. That would be great, Wilco.

• willedav said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:38 pm

only if it ends Yankees season.

29. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:02 pm

I have two big Beatles songbooks and “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” is one of my favorites to play. I’m not saying I play it great, but it’s a fun one to play. It starts with an A-minor chord and has that cool descending bass on the big E string. And a great lyric:
    I look at you all
    See the love that lies sleeping
    While my guitar gently weeps

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:15 pm

I also like how it goes from a minor key to a major key for the bridge and then back to a minor key for the verses. Very nice.
      Like a lot of Beatles songs, the original key of the song is high for the average person to sing. But the guitar parts suffer if the key is lowered. It’s a paradox for anyone covering Beatles songs.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:36 pm

zum, what do you think about Norwegian Wood? Musically, that is.
      I really like that one. Also, Blackbird.
      Songs and bands are like anything else in life. Your “best of” is up to your own taste. Wine, beer, food, chicks, cars, whatever. Nobody is wrong when it comes to subjective likes in those matters…

30. alleykat69 said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:24 pm

I could crank UFO all day long!
    Doctor Doctor,Rock Bottom,Love to Love amazing band when I get my skink on are wishing I could still have a bowl of Concetrate!!
    One Journey song I play all the time on a jukebox was from their 1st album so way before Perry and their annoying overplayed AM shit like fucking can’t stop believing , is drum roll “Of a Lifetime” that song just gets better with age and Neil Schon’s guitar solo fantastic!

31. theroooster said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:29 pm

OK, moving on to musical guilty pleasures.
    Where do you guys stand on Elton John?
    Jackson 5/ Michael Jackson anyone? Never got into him.

• theroooster said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:32 pm

OK, just saw your take on Elton, zoom.

• Flavor said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:33 pm

i like Michael Jackson now, didn’t really dig him growing up.

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:33 pm

I posted about Elton John after your 7:03.

32. Pasalon said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Sat next to Justin Turner on my flight today….

• Flavor said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:53 pm

i hope you jerked off on him to disrupt his sleep cycle.

• alleykat69 said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:10 pm

That’s funny.Turner would then look like he smeared a orange cream Popsicle all over his beard..

• Flavor said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Turner might be the ugliest guy with a beard I’ve ever seen. No offense to this guy who seems good looking enough.

33. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:38 pm

I like some of the Michael Jackson stuff, but his personal life weirdness became an issue.

34. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:41 pm

I unashamedly like a lot of ’70s pop. James Taylor, Bread, Jim Croce, Steely Dan, Seals and Croft, Carly Simon, and some others. It’s feel-good music to me. Comfort food.

35. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:46 pm

I hate one genre in particular: hair-metal bands.
    Well….rap, techno dance music, and “new” country are not high on my list either…..

• theroooster said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:12 pm

I guess the Ratt / Poison concert wasn’t very enticing for you back in the day, huh?

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Ha! Ratt has the only hair-band song I like, “Round and Round.” 🙂
        My wife will occasionally torment me by singing “Every Rose Has A Thorn.”
        She is completely mystified by my liking of Elvis Costello. His voice makes her cringe.

36. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:48 pm

I still haven’t decided if Motley Crue or Van Halen is the worst band of all time. I kind of swing back and forth on that. I should finally decide at some point.

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:51 pm

KISS is terrible, but they sort of seem to know they’re terrible, so I give them a few points for having a little self-awareness.

37. alleykat69 said, on October 16, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Agree with Z,
    Early Elton John some well written songs with Bernie Taupin. Madman across the Water album good stuff Levon,Tiny Dancer,Madmam across the water etc.
    Also Yellow Brick Road album with “Funeral for a Friend” classic..

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Totally agree.

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Elton and Bernie were on such a roll in the early to mid-’70s. How about that song “Indian Sunset”? That song always gives me goosebumps and I’ve heard it a zillion times.

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:18 pm

“The peace of this young warrior comes with a bullet”
        For years I thought the lyric meant he was shot by white soldiers, and then one day I realized he had shot himself, because the situation was so hopeless.
        Bernie was pretty obsessed with the American West, its history and tragedies.

38. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:03 pm

“zum, what do you think about Norwegian Wood? Musically, that is.
    I really like that one. Also, Blackbird.”

Two really beautiful songs. I love John’s singing voice. Norwegian Wood benefits from a beautiful musical arrangement. As always, George Martin helped the Beatles reach their vision. Blackbird is a different kettle of fish. That’s just Paul and his acoustic guitar playing a song that was an album track but absolutely brilliant. And a difficult mother-effer to play on guitar. There are many YouTube instructional videos on how to play Blackbird. For any songwriter, Blackbird would be a career highlight. For Paul, just another of many.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:21 pm

I assume on NW that’s George on sitar, really nice, simple progression. I assumed this was done after they returned from India, but according to Wiki, no. They went to India in ’68…

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Yeah, George had been introduced to the sitar before the India trip.
        George was so brilliant. Tasteful and original.

39. snarkk said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:27 pm

I won’t link it here, but Gregg Popovich of the Spurs today said some really pointed stuff today about Drumpf that needs to be said. Awesome. What good it will do, I dunno. But, I’m glad somebody said it that has a decent sized soapbox…

40. zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:39 pm

She struggles a bit playing Blackbird, but the audience is forgiving.

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:43 pm

On second thought, she did quite well. Such a difficult song to play and sing at the same time.

• theroooster said, on October 16, 2017 at 9:35 pm

She does a STUNNING cover of Little Wing. Wow.

41. blade3colorado said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Two points . . . Like just about anything, different strokes for different folks, insofar as the Beatles and Led Zeppelin are concerned. Similarly, if you grew up in the 80s and 90s, you’re likely going to enjoy shit from your era.

Sort of a “tweener,” as I didn’t really start getting into music until 71-72. Consequently, I wasn’t into Bob Dylan, Cream, Buffalo Springfield, or the Beatles.
    However, I love most of the latter stuff they did after their bubble gum period start.

Anyway, I have to side with Zum about the Beatles and Led Zeppelin. They are iconic bands. Society overwhelming confirms this. I could give 2 shits about them stealing riffs (but I agree with Chuck that they should have acknowledged artists they took from.). Everyone did it. Besides, rock and roll isn’t exactly classical music, i.e., just so much you can do with basic chords.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Heck, Mozart stole from Haydn. And, the older Haydn didn’t mind at all, they were mentor to friend/protege…

42. sandog said, on October 16, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Worst band of all time is either Dire Straits or Steely Dan. I can’t tell them apart. All I know is that all their songs sound awful to me.

• theroooster said, on October 16, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Dire Straits doesn’t do a whole lot for me, but Steely Dan pretty groovy. Complicated stuff.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Walter Becker of Steely Dan just died a few weeks back. I kinda liked both of those bands…

43. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 9:06 pm

AK I’m with you. I saw UFO in 1978 with a young Michael Schenker and he tore it up. Incredible show. They are very overlooked when you look at all the guitar bands of the 70s heyday. Lights out and Phenomenon are still great albums to this day, The early Journey is unrecognizable compared to the Steve Perry shit, The first album is incredible if you like progressive jamming. They did come from Santana so that was their background. I think it was the only time Santana had another guitarist (Neil Shon) in his band.

Same with me Blade. I got into music around 1972, but I was the youngest of 5 so all I heard growing up was Creedence, the Doors, Hendrix, Janis, the Beatles, Airplane, Dead . . . on and on. My brother was esp into Deep Purple and early Elton John. Madman and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road are epic.

Truth be told I just got sick of listening to both the Beatles and Zepp. Abbey Road is about the only album that is listenable all the way through. In the hierarchy of rock bands they are both near the top.

• blade3colorado said, on October 16, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Yeah, older friends, my.mom, and some cousins, were all “flower power” 60s kids and I heard it all, but didn’t really gravitate towards music in general until late 1971. Eat, drank, and slept sports. Late bloomer to the drug/party scene too (umm, probably should have missed that as well).

44. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 9:12 pm

If this sounds familiar, Gregg Rollie used to sing for Santana before he started Journey. Neil Shon just blows up this whole album.

45. theroooster said, on October 16, 2017 at 9:24 pm

This guy is completely wacked out when it comes to politics, but really dug his music in my teens :

46. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Yeah, the Nuge with Blue Oyster Cult was a pretty rocking show. AC/DC opened things up. Great shit back then.

47. alleykat69 said, on October 16, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Loudest concert I ever saw was Ted Nugent at the Cow Palace swinging across stage in the air with a wire attached he was a out of control maniac just like he still is! His decibels hit like 120 higher then a airplane taking off,took me a day are 2 to get my hearing back right..Still I love his stuff, along with Pat Travers,Robin Trower,Montrose,Thin Lizzy,Head East and on and on…

• blade3colorado said, on October 16, 2017 at 11:25 pm

AK, everyone in my.circle of friends, loved Robin Trower, Montrose, Bad Company, Edgar and Johnny Winter, Elvin Bishop . . . Like you said, I could go on and on.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2017 at 4:48 am

that’s funny, I say the same thing about a Van Halen concert I went to at the cow palace in ’84. Loudest I’ve ever heard. Must have been the acoustics. Chicks were tits out at the show. It was crazy.