Wednesday!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 18, 2017

This is a big day for the Art Dealers as they try to get back to a place they haven’t been in nearly 30 years. But credit to them, they are playing well and meeting the challenges of the post season. Can’t say the same thing about the Cubs.

Just for fun, try to recall where you were the last time LA was in the WS. I was in Paris for a few months riding trains and shit…..

Dubs loss was annoying but not a big deal. I personally thought Kerr dicked around with his rotations too much, you don’t HAVE to play all 12 guys. And I don’t care if he had a good game, I don’t want to see Nick Young on the court for 26 minutes. Two or six, but not 26.

1. xoot said, on October 18, 2017 at 6:27 am

last time the bums appeared in the WS I was starting my second year of law school. Little time for baseball that month. Now, 29 years later, I’m just about ready to retire from the practice of law.

• Flavor said, on October 18, 2017 at 6:28 am

lol, perfect way to kick off this thread my man! lol.

2. willedav said, on October 18, 2017 at 7:33 am

’88 I was still driving delivery trucks around bay area.

Rockets have some fire power, and Gordon lit them up. They look better without Chris Paul.

Agree on rotation thing but apparently Warriors were too gassed to play more minutes. If Looney is in there before garbage time, that’s not good. Bell got quite a wake up call too at defensive end. Ls always seem to send them a message and they respond with renewed ferocity and sharper ball handling and decisions.

• Flavor said, on October 18, 2017 at 8:00 am

I thought Bell played Harden pretty good that first time he went by him but he got totally smoked by Gordon (at least in first q, I didn’t get to see the 2nd half)

3. Flavor said, on October 18, 2017 at 8:03 am

question: why the fuck aren’t the Warriors in better shape? I get it, game shape is different but all 3 of the other teams last night looked fine….

• willedav said, on October 18, 2017 at 8:25 am

china trip. too much media over there not enough practice time, plus jet lag leaving guys out of sorts. Followed by jet lag once they got back and cancelled or cut short practices here.

4. unca_chuck said, on October 18, 2017 at 8:20 am

Green leaving is why they lost. Hopefully it isn’t an ongoing thing. Ker says he’s ‘working out his rotations’ but shit, he had everybody running around out there. Gotta rest ’em for the long haul?

5. willedav said, on October 18, 2017 at 8:30 am

Hate the ring ceremonies–imo that should just be a media event separate from actual game. Put on jumbotron so fans can watch it, without making other team and everyone else sit through nonsense.

Instead watched little of Sharks- Canadiens in their only trip here, one they would probably like to cancel since Sharks have now won 11 in a row vs. Club de Hockey at the Tank. Pretty cool to see one of the Original Six teams and their fans in rare visit. Turns out one of their top players actually has family from Santa Rosa area.

6. sfsarge said, on October 18, 2017 at 8:55 am

In 1988 I was 10 going on 11, and baseball was just beginning to enter my consciousness. I was in 5th grade at David Lubin elementary school in Sacramento. I don’t remember having any feeling either way about them winning.

7. unca_chuck said, on October 18, 2017 at 9:06 am

In ’88 I moved back from Colorado and was jazzed about the Giants finally getting good. They were like 10 games over .500 when I came back in August and I couldn’t believe it. When I left CA in late ’84, the Giants were awful. And they got worse.

It was the golden age of Niner football and I was bummed I missed the Super Bowl in Stanford.

8. wilcojoe said, on October 18, 2017 at 9:37 am

In 1988 I was 12 years old and living in Stinson Beach, going to school in Bolinas. Couldn’t pick a cooler place to live as a pre-teen. Unfortunately we moved to the Fairfield/Suisun area the following year. Talk about a letdown.

• Flavor said, on October 18, 2017 at 9:44 am

you worried about the game today?

9. unca_chuck said, on October 18, 2017 at 10:14 am

Wow. talk about heaven and hell.

10. xoot said, on October 18, 2017 at 10:27 am

I think “Suisun” is a Native American word meaning “place too windy to live”
    I sure hope Keuchel’s strong tonight.

• wilcojoe said, on October 18, 2017 at 11:32 am

Ha! God damn, it would get windy there. If people think Budweiser tastes like piss, they should smell it when the wind is blowing it in their direction.

• sandog said, on October 18, 2017 at 11:52 am

I went to Bolinas for the 4th of July a few years ago. It was the only time I have ever been there and it was kind of a trip. I don’t remember seeing any law enforcement/lifeguard presence anywhere on the beach and everyone was actively drinking—mostly out of glass containers. Wine bottles everywhere. Total opposite of what the 4th of July is like in Southern California. Reminded me of Mexico. Even on the city streets you would see police, but I think I even remember people walking down the main street with booze like it was Bourbon Street—and as long as they weren’t causing a problem, no one messed with them.

11. sandog said, on October 18, 2017 at 11:10 am

n 1988, I had just graduated from SDSU and was living back in Woodland at my parent’s house–ironically working at the same catholic school where I had been “asked not to return” for 6th grade. It was public school for SanDawg from that point forward–and that was a-ok with me. The night of Game 1, I was attending an engagement party in Santa Cruz for a childhood friend. It was at a nice house and the game was on TV in one of the rooms. We weren’t paying much attention to it, but when Eck came in, we actively started watching to see him close it out.
    I remember being blown away by what a dramatic homer that was, but also thinking it really sucked that LA scratched out that win. Of course, the A’s were the way better team, so at that point I was still confident they would come out on top. That’s why they play the games, I guess.

12. Macdog said, on October 18, 2017 at 11:38 am

I was in Jersey in ’88 and remember being at odds over who to root for between the Mets and Dodgers in the NLCS. Obviously I didn’t like the Bums, but Mets fans were pretty damn cocky back then and the thought of that team winning two World Series titles in a 3-year span wasn’t a pleasant one either. I remember being at a friend’s house watching the pivotal Game 4 and we planned to go get something to eat as soon as the Mets finished off what looked like a sure win, but Scioscia hit a stunning game-tying HR in the 9th off Gooden, the Dodgers would eventually win in extra innings and we never did go out to eat. I also remember Mets fans feeling pretty good before Game 7. Hershiser vs. Darling. I knew better.

13. theroooster said, on October 18, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I was 21 in ’88, and for that game 4 in the NLCS against the Mets, I was with a few friends at a sports bar down next to Port’s ‘O Call Village that overlooked the harbor. I can’t remember the name of it now, I want to say Sports Harbor, but that’s not right, it was only there a few years, but was a great place to catch a game. When Scioscia hit that HR in the 9th off Gooden, the place went absolutely nuts. Funny thing is, that wasn’t even the most memorable thing that went down that night. There was a well-known brawler that everyone in town knew – Scott Haney – guy got suspended from High School numerous times for fighting, just a grade-A jerk, but boy could he fight. Anyway, some guy got on the wrong side of one of Haney’s buddies out front of the bar, and when Scott came after him the dude ran into the bar, straight past all the tables, out onto the balcony, and without any hesitation, going full steam launched himself off the balcony, cleared the railing and dove, head-first into the water and swam away. One of the funniest things I had ever seen. Haney stopped at the railing, shook his head laughing, turned around and walked away.

14. zumiee said, on October 18, 2017 at 12:11 pm

In ’88, I completed a Master’s Degree in History. Such a marketable degree! 🙂

15. alleykat69 said, on October 18, 2017 at 12:34 pm

In 88 I was watching the games in the bar what else is new..I do remember Canseco dented the camera 🎥 in straightaway center on his bomb, that was cool!!
    And fuck 1 leg Gibson on his homer off of Eck though it was dramatic they keep showing that like they will when they get there again 100 times!!

16. Macdog said, on October 18, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Reddick is about as useless as it gets this series.

17. Flavor said, on October 18, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Astros might be in trouble……

18. wilcojoe said, on October 18, 2017 at 4:18 pm

The Astros entire offense went dormant. Every year a prolific offense goes out in the PS due to cold bats. This year it’s Houston. Their done. I am putting my Game 6 tickets on StubHub. Maybe a Yankee fan will pay a shit load to see them win the pennant on the road.

• Flavor said, on October 18, 2017 at 4:26 pm

wow!

• Macdog said, on October 18, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Maybe Verlander can rise to the occasion again, that’s about the only hope left for these gutless pussies.

• Flavor said, on October 18, 2017 at 4:58 pm

gutless pussies, lol. That is said by a man who does not like the Yankees much, right?

• Macdog said, on October 18, 2017 at 5:02 pm

You see right through me, Flav.

19. wilcojoe said, on October 18, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Keep in mind, I would never lose faith in my Giants and sell PS tickets. I just don’t have enough invested in Houston to cause me to care enough that I could pass up a nice profit.

• djloo27 said, on October 18, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Don’t you think Angel fans felt that way after Game 5 in 2002?

• Flavor said, on October 18, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Agreed. Plus, with their backs against the wall I’m not guessing the fans are going to be electric anymore. I could be wrong, they just don’t seem like the type of fans to *go electric* at all times.

• wilcojoe said, on October 18, 2017 at 5:15 pm

That’s spot on Flav. Outside of the Rockets back to back championships in the mid 90’s, Houston hasn’t sniffed a championship title. They have become so accustomed to losing, it doesn’t take much to curb their enthusiasm.

20. theroooster said, on October 18, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Here’s the Mets fan who started the whole “thumbs down” thing for the Yanks :

• Flavor said, on October 18, 2017 at 5:06 pm

I’d love to see him without the beard. That is a LOT of face….

21. xoot said, on October 18, 2017 at 5:06 pm

How can any tv producer believe that Joe Buck’s capacity to have multiple yankee orgasms is a performance worth broadcasting? I’ve seen people kick dogs to stop that sort of mindless excitement.

22. theroooster said, on October 18, 2017 at 5:10 pm

I would hate to be on the Astros plane back to Houston. It will be like Lee’s march south after Gettysburg.” Those Damned Yanks just whupped our asses!”

23. Flavor said, on October 18, 2017 at 5:31 pm

i dunno Wilco, this doesn’t seem over by a long shot. Two games at home? Seems like being the home team is the team to be in this series.

24. zumiee said, on October 18, 2017 at 6:03 pm

The national sports media would definitely love a Yankee/Dodger World Series. Then they can dredge up all kinds of footage from past Yankee/Dodger World Series. I can even see how someone could make a case it would be good for the sport. I’d probably watch the first couple of games to see if the Yankees can compete with the Dodgers. If it looks to be another Dodger rout, I will bail out on that Series.

• zumiee said, on October 18, 2017 at 6:05 pm

The TV ratings take a hit if it’s the Astros.

25. zumiee said, on October 18, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I’m getting tired of certain sports media cliches. They get so overused. A well-pitched game is “He pitched a gem.” A gem? How did that start? A great throwing arm in the outfield: “He has a cannon.” Sure, I get it, but it’s so overused. At least we don’t hear about a team or player being “hobbled by injuries” much anymore. That one used to drive George Carlin nuts. Hobbled? How often do you use the word “hobbled” in your daily life? It was something leftover from the early days of sportswriting. Good riddance.

• theroooster said, on October 18, 2017 at 6:59 pm

LOL – the thing about the word “hobbled” is that it’s original meaning was to tie or strap together the legs of a horse or other animal to prevent it from straying. Whenever I would hear it regarding an injured player I always thought, NO, that’s not right.

26. willedav said, on October 18, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Still think Stros got short end of 2-3-2. Today’s game otherwise would have been at home for them where they’ve dominated and would only need a split to take it all.
    Hope they can end Yanks season.

27. unca_chuck said, on October 18, 2017 at 8:03 pm

They hobble chickens, don’t they? I won’t watch if it’s the Yanks/Dogs.

But I’ll still root for the Yankers.

28. djloo27 said, on October 18, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Hobbles are a common piece of harness racing equipment.
    They help the horse stay on gait…

29. Flavor said, on October 18, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Our team is made up of pussies.

• djloo27 said, on October 18, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Ali Bumgarner looks at that and sees dinner…

• xoot said, on October 18, 2017 at 9:04 pm

boil a squirrel or rabbit and scrape the meat into the gravy–good stuff

30. djloo27 said, on October 18, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Countdown to Bellinger’s 2 run homer: 3,2,1….

• zumiee said, on October 18, 2017 at 9:17 pm

You jinxed him! 🙂

31. djloo27 said, on October 18, 2017 at 9:19 pm

The guy who attaches the ‘W’ to the flagpole has quite a career…

32. willedav said, on October 18, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Cubs get Opie next? Win that one we have a series.

33. mrsprtdude said, on October 18, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Cubs winning means Kershaw won’t pitch game one. A small victory. Go Astros. Every damn team I have rooted for has lost in every game and every series. Damn Yankees.
    With lots of very good young ” core” talent and lots of money to retain their own stars as needed, the Dodgers and the Yankees are going to be very good for the next 5 years or so. Big Bummer