Left Alone

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 22, 2017

Obviously it’s easier to get rid of the coaching staff than a bunch of overpriced vets in the twilight of their careers. So this was a necessary first start. While I don’t blame the coaches for last year’s collapse, I don’t think they are capable of turning this thing around. It is curious that Bochy somehow avoided the ax. Are they trying to get him to quit by taking away all his generals? If so I can’t think of a bigger puss-move.

How to turn over the roster is a much bigger challenge. But however they do it I think Sabean has realized they need new voices in the clubhouse. I hope Bochy reads the writing on the wall and heads upstairs to one of those fake admin jobs. It’s really a shame he’s being treated this way…..

1. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 22, 2017 at 8:39 am

Difficult to know exactly what’s going on, maybe the crack beat writers will uncover everything any day now. … I don’t know; I thought Sabean and Bochy were pretty close, from most accounts. If so, I find it difficult to believe Sabes didn’t talk to Bochy about these moves, to get Brucie’s ok for it all and/or to do changes in stages whereby Bochy gets to hire whoever he wants for next year…. or maybe Bochy is also about to change jobs. Maybe this is just passive aggressive management to get Bochy to quit, but I find it odd considering their friendship. Side note to Loo, bummed to hear Tracks is closing. I went there on your recommendation for pre-concert food and drink before the Clapton concert at the Garden a few days after my Dad died a couple years ago. ……

• djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:41 am

Maybe because it was largely a “commuter bar” the crowd there was always friendly. Very easy to strike up a conversation with a stranger – like in an airport. The staff respected their customers and took care of the regulars. When you’re there pre or post-Ranger games, you have instant friends if you’re wearing the jersey. Never encountered an angry drunk or saw an altercation there, but there’s still a little time, I guess….

2. willedav said, on October 22, 2017 at 9:17 am

re: Year of the Rooster.

2005 71-91 LA fired Jim Tracy
    1993 81-81 4th in NL West 21 games out behind Braves
    1981 OK onto something —strike year LA won first half/beat Stros in playoffs and Yanks in WS

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 9:20 am

Here’s hoping the Astro’s can “snuff the rooster.”

• unca_chuck said, on October 22, 2017 at 9:22 am

Heh heh . . . aic baby! Dem bones is great . . . That whole album isgreat.

• djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:43 am

You know he ain’t gonna die
        No, no, no, you know he ain’t gonna die

3. unca_chuck said, on October 22, 2017 at 9:20 am

Bochy ain’t taking no admin job. He’s going fishing.

4. zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 9:26 am

Bochy is no analytics guy. He complimented a player this past season by saying the guy “can sniff RBIs.”
    RBI-sniffing is fading into outmoded status, a generational change.

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:05 am

Sabean is a big RBI-sniffer too—isn’t he?

5. willedav said, on October 22, 2017 at 9:28 am

wondered aloud whether anyone here has ever been to a WS game. Anybody make it to any of 3 in 5? Was Pawlie outside?
    I wondered if Twin ever was at some. His Dad was doing the TV broadcast in ’65 with Vin Scully when Dodgers beat the Twins, as was noted in “Last Innocents” book…maybe Pirates?

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2017 at 9:37 am

yes, that video I posted the other day was from a WS game in 2010

• wilcojoe said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:06 am

Yeah, I was at the Game 4 2010 game in Arlington, where Bum pitched his first post season masterpiece. Made it out to SF for the 2014 Series and briefly met up with a few flappers but tickets were insane, so I never made it in.

6. mrsprtdude said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:02 am

Wiledav
    I was at game 2 of the 2010 series. Game played out in an amazing way. Close the whole time till we scored 7 in the 8th to win 9-0. 2-0 in the 8th and stressful. I know we had Wilson but I still had memories of 02 in my head. Seems silly know but it wasn’t then. I was with my brother and my dad.
    My seats were in the lower deck along the 3rd base side just before the foul pole 20 rows up .I had a birds eye view of the “almost” homer that Kinsler hit that hit the very top of the wall and came back in the park. Best game ever! In the 8th they walked it seems like 4-5 in a row and we broke it open. Journey song Don’t stop believin on the speakers. 9th inning was a huge party. A fantastic memory for me as my dad has cognitive issues now and doesn’t really follow sports anymore. Thinking of it now brings a smile to my face:)

7. sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:09 am

I’ve posted this before, but I was at Game 7 in 2002. Like all us, I felt like dead man walking entering the stadium after that crushing loss the night before. Highlight was watching batting practice from the railing and seeing Barry and Melissa Etheridge (who sang the anthem) have an animated and extended conversation near the batting cage. They seemed to genuinely enjoy chatting with one another and I got a big kick out of that.
    I have vowed to never set foot in Angel Stadium again.

8. sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:14 am

I’m still pissed about the Saturday Massacre of the coaching staff. If Bochy signed off on it, then shame on him for throwing guys like Rags and Wotus under the bus who have been on this run with him the whole time. If he didn’t sign off (and I don’t think he did) then I will repeat that was a total chicken shit move by the brass to try to get Boch to quit.
    In fact, I am going to officially predict Bochy resigns in the next 72 hours and that he never manages in the bigs again.
    I’m also going to upgrade my speculation about Pablo to an official prediction that he never plays in another MLB game and that walk-off was his swan song in the bigs.

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:22 am

Are you really pissed that Raggs, Wotus, etc are gone? That’s a trip to me. I could care less. They nearly lost 100 games, the coaches sucked as bad as the players.

• djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:44 am

No Dozing tries the turf later today at Belmont, Flavor…

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:52 am

Maybe pissed is a little strong, but I think it was a real lame move and not the type of move that a class organization makes.
        I don’t like it, but it may somewhat work out. Bochy will quit and can say it had nothing to do with his health or being tired of the losing–that he was simply being loyal to his guys. The Giants can then say that they didn’t actually fire Bochy–that he left on his own. Both parties will save some face with general fans—but not with guys like us on here who know better.

• djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:56 am

I don’t know what Bochy makes, but I doubt he’ll leave 2 years of it on the table for any reason but his health…

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 11:16 am

That’s just it though. Now he has an out. I think he IS in poor health, but he looks kinda weak if he basically says he is physically not up for the job. Now he doesn’t have to go down that road and can point to his Lieutenants getting fired as his reason for leaving.

• djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 11:43 am

So you think he’ll sacrifice millions out of loyalty to his fired coaches?

• wilcojoe said, on October 22, 2017 at 11:52 am

The thing is a player with a guaranteed contract can phone it in everyday and everyone blames it on age, injuries, etc…A manager has accountability of the entire club every day. Unlike the players that have zero obligation to speak with the media, the manager has to answer the same questions every day…I don’t think the $5m (or whatever Bochy makes) is worth it for the next two years. He would be insane to continue any longer.

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 12:04 pm

No—I think he’ll sacrifice millions because his health is not good and he doesn’t want to deal with this trainwreck of a team, but he will SAY he quit because they got rid of his coaches.

• djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 12:36 pm

I just can’t see that, SanDog. Bochy knows firings and changes are part of the game (Roberto Kelly?). After the past 1.5 years he probably expected it. If he quits to back the coaches, he’ll be burning the bridge to the organization that will likely pay him in some capacity for the rest of his life.

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Loo, he would only be saying he quit to back to his coaches. The real reasons would be his age/health and not wanting to coach this lousy team that has no good prospects, no money in the budget for free agents, and no trade bait.
        And you can’t compare R Kelly to Rags and Wotus. Those two guys have been with him for his entire run in SF.

Maybe I’m dead wrong, but I think he’s gone and it sounds like Wilco has my back on this one.

FYI, did anyone see the Super 70’s post asking which of these guys you’d want to have your back if some crazy shit went down?:

Crosby
        Stills
        Nash

In a surprising result in my eyes, CROSBY actually won the pole. No way I’d count on that guy. He creeped me out when I was 7 and I still feel the same way today.

• djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 1:57 pm

That would be a good poll for the Flap.
        Who would you take from here?

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I might go with you. Not that you’d solve the problem, but we’d at least have a few Buds and some laughs before all hell broke loose!

• willedav said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:46 am

It is kinda odd that Rags Wotus and bambam are the guys falling on their swords. Blame Bochy all you want, but this was a crummy team handed to him by Evans and his “the lux tax ate my homework” approach to off season. The collection of stiffs on the bench and the OF was ridiculous. Once guys got injured there were bunch of zeros to replace them, other than Stratton.

I get Sabes realizing they were screwed once Bum went down, but other than trading off Nunez and Kontos for long shot prospects, Dyson (another dive guy handed to them) was all Giants did about it.

So Evans has made his first moves, let’s see what else he comes up with to address the problems on the field, imo far more important than coaching staff. Overvaluing what they have in their precious “core” tho seems like the Giants way, and it ain’t gonna work next year either.

9. Macdog said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:33 am

I was at Game 4 of the ’89 Series, no need to say any more about that. Also Game 4 of the ’93 Series, Jays beat the Phillies 15-14 at the Vet. The real turning point of that Series, Phils blew a big lead and ended up losing.

• willedav said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:49 am

wow, ’89? I was doing delivery driving in Bay Area, it was tough to get anywhere in SF or north/east bay at time, for quite a while.

WS a tremendous experience for all, stuff you guys can tell kids about for lifetime.

10. djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:46 am

Has Bochy been reached for comment?

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:54 am

I’m sure he’s ducking the press while preparing his resignation remarks.

11. mrsprtdude said, on October 22, 2017 at 11:47 am

I was at game 7 in 02. Oddly it wasn’t that painful. I knew going in we would lose. Still had a sliver of hope so my buddy and I bought tickets from a scaper. I’m still bitter about one thing, and that is that Dusty played his stupid hunch and sat Reggie Sanders. He was great that year, and may have wanted to do something for mis-timing his leap and hitting the wall. I’m convinced that if he had jumped before he ran in to the wall he would have caught the ball. We will never know, but sitting him was just so dumb.

12. snarkk said, on October 22, 2017 at 11:50 am

Canning basically the entire on field coaching staff was the easy part. You don’t pull the worst record in the majors for 1 1/2 seasons and expect even the Giants to just shrug about the coaching and move to Spring Training like everything’s cool. Bochy surely had to have been told ahead of time. Doubtful he had a real say in it. Baer probably said, hey, we need to clean house — the season tix re-ups are coming up, the fans need to see we’re doing something. All these coaches had a long run, way long, and have 3 rings. I don’t feel sorry for them. They got BS front office jobs waiting if they want them, so some face saving was done. Evans even said in an interview yesterday Rags will have even more say in the organization’s pitching now, he made it sound like a welcome promotion. Right. It’s the Giants way. Nobody ever fails, that’s bad PR…

13. snarkk said, on October 22, 2017 at 1:02 pm

I heard on KNBR that Dusty stayed in DC 10 days after the playoff series loss to meet up with Nats management and handle his possible new contract or get word otherwise. Nada, no meeting or word from the Nets FO. So, he flew home to Sac. Next day the Nets called him at home and told him he was out. If true, that’s absolute BS. Dusty won 95 and 97 games the two years there, and pulled that team from crapville after Matt Williams drove the clubhouse into a ditch. The GM couldn’t give him the heave ho in person? Total bush league organization…

14. zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 1:39 pm

“Sabean is a big RBI-sniffer too—isn’t he?”

My impression is that Sabean/Evans are being forcibly dragged into the era of high analytics by the harsh realities of the present situation.

15. djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Bochy and others might actually believe that with good health, some bounce-back years, a couple of last gasp efforts from the geezers and a surprise turnaround or two from a couple of the younger flops this team could make some noise…

• zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 2:03 pm

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 2:24 pm

I actually think that could happen too. Obviously, the division is out of the question, but I could see them hanging around in the Wild Card race—-which is a pretty low bar. I would sign Lorenzo Cain and hope for some bounce-back years. Would that work out well for sure? Hell no, but I see it as seriously the only option we got.

• djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 3:14 pm

I agree, Zumiee. It’s an awful lot to hope for…

16. zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I like David Crosby. He’s made some mistakes in life, but he’s also done some great things in his music career, and has literally inspired millions of people with his songs.
    One of my favorites of the ones he wrote is “Wooden Ships.” Great great song.
    He’s had a unique life.
    I’ve seen CSN&Y in concert twice now. Great shows.
    He and Neil have had a falling out, though. Crosby criticized Neil’s decision to divorce his wife to be with Daryl Hannah. My theory on that is that Crosby is negative about Hannah because she tarnished Jackson Browne’s reputation by accusing him of domestic abuse. Browne has completely denied it. For a while after that Hannah was with JFK, Jr.
    Neil is angry with Crosby about the things Crosby said in the media about Hannah.

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 2:28 pm

I love Wooden Ships too and I’m not even holding his drug busts against him. I just find his appearance and mannerisms somewhat creepy and always have.
      I’d go with Graham Nash to help me out if something went sideways. Probably the least accomplished musician of the 3, but always seemed like a decent bloke.

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 2:38 pm

The Neil Young/Stephen Stills dynamic is interesting too. I remember my brother saying something to the effect once that it pisses Stills off that he does everything better than Neil Young—better singer, better guitar player, writes better songs, yet Young has some X Factor/Coolness about him that has made him a much bigger star. I tend to agree with all of that too, though no doubt Neil has some great tunes.

17. Flavor said, on October 22, 2017 at 2:51 pm

• djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Henry Aaron wouldn’t put on the helmet until right before he stepped into the box…

18. theroooster said, on October 22, 2017 at 3:08 pm

• zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Where does losing Game 1 of the ’12 World Series go on the scale?

19. Flavor said, on October 22, 2017 at 3:55 pm

20. Flavor said, on October 22, 2017 at 4:11 pm

that Dwight Clark halftime tribute was brutal to watch. I can’t believe how quickly he went downhill. So sad to see one of my idols like that.

21. zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 4:16 pm

“(I sense a strong Zumie rebuttal coming to this post making the case that Young is actually the all-around better musician)”

Only a mild rebuttal. I have great respect for Stills’ body of work. I would say the difference is that Neil has been willing to go to darker places artistically than Stills. There’s a brutal honesty in some of Neil’s songs that goes deep in his listeners.

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Fair. Not only dark, but also some bizarre places as well.
      You certainly can’t accuse Neil Young of being reluctant to experiment musically!!

22. djloo27 said, on October 22, 2017 at 4:17 pm

As of now it appears only Rags, Decker and Gardner have been officially re-assigned.
    Wotus and Bam-Bam are still awaiting their fate…

23. zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Of CSN, the healthiest of the three right now is surely Nash, so physically he would be better help.

24. Flavor said, on October 22, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Eddie D is so fucking awesome— he’s flying Clark all over the world trying to get him the best treatment possible. In the same stadium today you had shithead Jerry Jones who threatens his players with a benching for anyone who doesn’t stand for the national anthem. What a disgusting piece of shit the Cowboys owner is. And all these years later, Eddie D is still supporting his players. Nearly brings tears to my eyes.

25. wilcojoe said, on October 22, 2017 at 4:56 pm

I waited in a long line to see Graham Nash play a relatively small yet very popular club in Austin during SXSW about ten years ago. Neil Young was a keynote speaker that year and the rumors were strong that he was going to play with Nash. It never happened and I was pretty peeved.

• zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Neil can be frustratingly mercurial; sometimes just saying something like: “I wasn’t feeling it.”

• sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Sounds like Zach Greinke has a little Neil Young in him……

26. alleykat69 said, on October 22, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Yeah BF watching Dwight Clark who really is a humble man with no bad vices, brought a tear to my eye.Met him at his old restaurant” Clark’s by the Bay” in Redwood City as kind to me as he would with you.
    ALS is just a brutal disease which I pray a cure will eventually happen for the unfortunate people suffering from it..

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Clark’s by the Bay…my dad used to take me there for dinner. Old school reference there, AlleyKat

27. Macdog said, on October 22, 2017 at 5:19 pm

It’s weird not having any baseball on a Sunday.

• zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 5:31 pm

That’s the main reason I’ll watch at least the first couple of World Series games. There’s so little baseball left before the long winter.

28. sandog said, on October 22, 2017 at 5:48 pm

I realized today that MLB, NFL, and the NBA are all playing meaningful games right now..
    Has that been happening for many years, or is that a relatively new thing? Can’t believe I never noticed it before.

• zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 6:25 pm

NBA shortened its pre-season. I’m not sure how that factors in.

29. zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Great finish to T-Wolves/Thunder game.

• zumiee said, on October 22, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Wiggins does a Steph Curry.

• Macdog said, on October 22, 2017 at 6:54 pm

What, he threw his mouth piece?

30. mrsprtdude said, on October 22, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Great story in chronicle online today about the friendship with Clark and Everson Walls. He flew out from Dallas today to support his long time friend.

• snarkk said, on October 22, 2017 at 10:49 pm

Nice story in the Chron. Thanks for the tip…