My New Favorite Team, The Astros

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 23, 2017

If Houston is going to beat LA I really believe the key is to win Game 1. If they can beat Kershaw (not that hard of a post season feat) then they get to throw Verlander in Game 2 and then the very likely scenario of Houston going home  2-0 comes firmly into play.

LA needs to feel some pressure this post season and if that happens we’ll start to see some gripped bats and overthrows from the boys bathed in blue.

I still believe Houston wins this series, I’d just like to see it be the easiest path possible. Win Game 1. Coast from there…..

1. djloo27 said, on October 23, 2017 at 6:52 am

Prepare for lots of celebrities in LA who may coincidentally have a show that Fox can promote…

2. willedav said, on October 23, 2017 at 7:28 am

Still think 2-3-2 gives edge to underdog team. Get one on the road and you definitely put pressure on LA.
    Dunno about beating Opie but rest aren’t in his league.
    Stros pitching held Yanks bombers to what, 1 run in last 2 games? Hope they can hold down LA bats too.

3. Flavor said, on October 23, 2017 at 7:35 am

This is the first series LA has had vs a rested team that’s gotten to set their rotation the way they want it. LA earned this leverage by winning the NL West but they’ve had it easy so far.

4. willedav said, on October 23, 2017 at 8:28 am

puro left coast bias, I follow local guys I liked or ones I watched play college ball from Pac12 or other Calif teams that are now in NBA. Tonite Warriors visit Dallas, where former Stanford star Dwight Powell comes off bench. Interesting to see how these guys adapt their game/fit into NBA ball…or not.

5. wilcojoe said, on October 23, 2017 at 8:55 am

I completely agree Flav. I was glad to see things worked out so Keuchel pitches game 1 and Verlander game 2. I read where they’re going to have record heat in LA this week. High of 102 tomorrow? At least it’s a dry heat. Balls might be flying out of the Latrine.

6. wilcojoe said, on October 23, 2017 at 9:08 am

I was surprised to see that tickets prices on StubHub are about the same in Houston and LA. Cheapest ticket is about $700 in both cities.

• Flavor said, on October 23, 2017 at 9:56 am

surprised they’re $700 in Houston. Very surprised.

• wilcojoe said, on October 23, 2017 at 11:11 am

Exactly. We’re talking about a 600% markup on most tickets. I expect those prices to drop dramatically as the games get closer. I think the Giants World Series tickets were probably selling for 3-4 times face value. Still a nice profit for the sellers.

• Flavor said, on October 23, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I don’t recall what the face value was for our 2010 WS Tix but I know we spent $1600 for both of them. Bought them the day before the game

7. djloo27 said, on October 23, 2017 at 9:42 am

NY talk show host was just saying that Dodger fans were basically assholes when he was out there for Met series a couple of years ago. Is that a known fact?

8. unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2017 at 9:53 am

9. unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2017 at 11:46 am

But that’s my NorCal bias showing. Anything south of Ventura and north of Costa Mesa, blows.

10. zumiee said, on October 23, 2017 at 11:54 am

Coincidentally the key to the Dodgers winning the World Series in ’88 was Game 1. The A’s really needed to win Game 1 because they were going to be facing Hershiser in Game 2 and a possible Game 5.
    Gibson’s HR basically won the Series in Game 1.

11. zumiee said, on October 23, 2017 at 11:59 am

“Interesting to see how these guys adapt their game/fit into NBA ball…or not.”

I saw a whole lot of “not” when I watched the Kings vs. Nuggets. Both teams had some really young players who just looked bad in that game. Part of it was playing the grind of the NBA schedule. Even this early in the season, it’s a jolt for real young players to play back to back nights, like the Kings did.

12. zumiee said, on October 23, 2017 at 12:03 pm

And all the 3-pointers teams shoot….I’m sure the analytics are telling these teams it’s worth it to shoot all those 3s. But it was just brick after brick in the Kings/Nuggets game. What was the point? Some teams don’t have the shooters to shoot all those 3s. The play-by-play guy, Napier, kept saying about different players: “He’s got a wide open look.” Yeah, for a THREE POINTER. It’s not an easy shot.

13. unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2017 at 12:09 pm

It still bothers me that the Warriors did just that in the Memphis loss. I get that open looks you should take with the shooters we have, but when the team was ice cold for the entire 3rd quarter. Try something different. Go inside. Slow the game down. Penetrate for God’s sake. Not for the rest of the game, but maybe 4 or 5 possessions. Try different things to break out of the slump.

kerr gets just as enamored with the constant 3’s as the players do. More often than not it works, but when it doesn’t, don’t just keep beating your head against that wall.

14. djloo27 said, on October 23, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Fun with math:

If you hit 33.3 % of your 3-point shots, you have to hit 50% of your 2 -pointers to reach the same total.
    Do people still say “duh”?
    “Duh” was huge about 15 years ago.
    “Creep” continues it’s massive comeback…

• wilcojoe said, on October 23, 2017 at 12:35 pm

They do but there is also a variation of “duh” called “dur” that the kids are saying these days. It almost sounds like their imitating a “special needs” person trying to say “duh”.

• unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2017 at 1:58 pm

But if you miss 19 of 25, you ain’t scoring shit.

15. wilcojoe said, on October 23, 2017 at 12:38 pm

The one I can’t stand today is when kids say “bruh” instead of “bro” which is bad enough.

16. wilcojoe said, on October 23, 2017 at 12:39 pm

I still don’t know what “bae” means.

17. djloo27 said, on October 23, 2017 at 12:42 pm

On his radio show this morning, I swear Boomer Esiason must’ve said “at the end of the day” 10 times in the 10 minutes I listened…

18. pawliekokonuts said, on October 23, 2017 at 1:13 pm

At the beginning of the day, Game 1 is key. If Hou wins, it will be like SFG beating Cliff Lee in 2010 Game 1.

• unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2017 at 1:57 pm

at the end of the day

• wilcojoe said, on October 23, 2017 at 1:57 pm

That’s a great comparison. That’s exactly how this series feels to me. I didn’t expect the Giants to have a chance in that Series and neither did anyone else. That was such an epic upset. The Phillies were loaded that year.

19. unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Before Anyone Else is what I heard a while back.

Derp.

20. zumiee said, on October 23, 2017 at 3:25 pm

The Kings were 8-21 on 3s in that game vs. the Nuggets, but the ones they made were mostly in garbage time late in the 4th quarter when the Kings were down by over 20.
    I’m not meaning to rag on the Kings; I’m a loyal fan. I just want to see progress this season. They have some young talent, and they SHOULD have some young talent with all the high draft picks the last several years.

21. zumiee said, on October 23, 2017 at 4:14 pm

The Kings play the Suns tonight, and the Suns fired their head coach over the weekend. Say what?? After the first week? Coaching at the pro level is pretty wild.

• Flavor said, on October 23, 2017 at 5:27 pm

that was just mismanagement over and over at the highest level. Earl Watson never earned anything, he always sucked, his players dislike him and yet they still thought it was a good idea to trot him out there for the 2017-18 season?
      What I couldn’t figure out was why the Suns were 1.5 point favorites this morning. It’s drifted the other way and now it’s Kings -2.5. The Kings aren’t terrible this year, I think they cover that spread easily unless this was just ALL Watson and the Suns come out focused and ready to roll. I don’t see that happening tho

22. Flavor said, on October 23, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Dirk Nowitzki’s made 245 million, just off his salaries. Throw in probably at least that on shoe deals. Being an NBA player is a good gig if you can get it….

23. zumiee said, on October 23, 2017 at 7:25 pm

So, naturally, the Suns have a 27-10 lead.

• zumiee said, on October 23, 2017 at 7:27 pm

“the Suns come out focused and ready to roll.”

That’s indeed what happened.

• Flavor said, on October 23, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Watson must have been the worst NBA coach of all time.

24. willedav said, on October 23, 2017 at 8:08 pm

best of luck to Kings and their fans, but bringing a young team into NBA West is a tall order. Most of the good teams, and there are a bunch of them, are full of all league type vets who have pretty good idea what they are doing out there.
    Warriors haven’t drafted anyone they play much in years. Even the guys off the bench except for McCaw are all long time vets like West and Livingston and McGee.

25. Flavor said, on October 23, 2017 at 8:33 pm

did you guys catch that Jordan Bell dunk tonight? Man, it’s a different game these days…..

• willedav said, on October 23, 2017 at 8:39 pm

yeah awesome. When you are up by 30 tho, um, maybe not such a cool thing to do.
      How about Young’s 2 long 3s plus the deep 2 and a foul?
      I love garbage time. Dwight Powell looked good too. This the end for Dirk?

• djloo27 said, on October 23, 2017 at 9:41 pm

I think Marv Albert (back in the early ’70’s – when he was good) invented the term “garbage time” pronounced with French accent. Knick fans would chant for 12th man named Greg Fillmore…

26. willedav said, on October 23, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Hey Flav, what I read on Cubs post series plans is that they are likely to trade hitters for pitching. They lose at least 2 SPs and will redo the pen. If you offer Bum and Strick, who do you want? would you take Schwarber?

• djloo27 said, on October 23, 2017 at 9:28 pm

Hell no! Baez & Almora…

27. snarkk said, on October 23, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Anybody subscribed to the Athletic? I’ve seen the online sample stories, looks interesting. I just think I would not consume that amount of sports journalism available everyday to make it worth the $70 a year or whatever. If they did some real reporting on the Giants, maybe. Probably in the near future, a few years, there won’t be any such thing as beat writers for newspapers; we’ll have to get game stories from pay to play outfits like the Athletic, or subscribe for game stories to MLB.com, etc…

• djloo27 said, on October 23, 2017 at 9:52 pm

In the year 2525…

• snarkk said, on October 23, 2017 at 10:50 pm

Zager and Evans, reporting?…

• unca_chuck said, on October 24, 2017 at 8:11 am

I loved that song when I was a kid . . .

• sfsarge said, on October 23, 2017 at 11:43 pm

I subscribe. I find the articles insightful and enjoyable. I even have been reading about teams I don’t necessarily care about because the quality of the writing is top notch. I feel like the 8$ a month I’m paying is well worth it.