Bullpen or Bullshit?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 30, 2017

The crazy thing about the Houston bullpen is that they don’t seem like they even bring in relievers. McHugh, Peacock, Musgrove, Liriano warming up…those are all starting pitchers. It’s like they literally don’t have a reliever they feel comfortable using. That is astounding.

Regardless of how absurd last night’s game was it was the most entertaining sporting event I can ever remember watching. And I agree with the comment on the last thread (can’t remember who made it) that if mlb is going to keep juicing these balls they are going to have to up the # of players on the active roster. I think that would need to happen at the next CBA so it’s not going to happen right away. But it’s just not right to send these pitchers out there to get blasted over and over.

At this point, LA has to win, right? Unless Verlander throws a complete game? But an important point, Jansen is no longer Jansen right now. He’d fit into the Houston bullpen seamlessly.

1. willedav said, on October 30, 2017 at 6:58 am

“Jansen is no longer Jansen.” Absolutely right. He dominated during reg season but not now. Funny that a conga line inning, HBP walk and single, is what beat him. Like K and K used to say about Coors, you cannot walk hitters in that park, esp Astro hitters.

2. willedav said, on October 30, 2017 at 7:19 am

Check out the comments in those LA Times links Blade sent end of last thread. Roberts takes a lot of heat. One guy calls it “databall.”

3. Lurker John said, on October 30, 2017 at 7:40 am

Crazy game last night.

4. willedav said, on October 30, 2017 at 7:58 am

Looking at boxscore, Musgrove (who got the win) is the only pitcher the whole night who threw more than two thirds of an inning that didn’t get scored upon.

5. Lurker John said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:04 am

Funny thing about the Plaschke article, he mentioned Woodward holding Taylor at third in the 9th, but FOX played the sound clip of him sending Taylor, but Taylor heard “No, no, no” instead of “Go, go, go” because of the raucous crowd noise. With the throw being 10′ up the line, the speedy Taylor surely would’ve scored there.

6. sandog said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:17 am

I don’t see Houston winning either of these games in LA, but again, I am impressed with what the Astro’s have done in this series.
    This ball thing is crazy though. I just saw highlights, but Puig’s homer was ridiculous. Is the suspicion now that they juiced the ball even more for the post-season? If so, that is asinine.

• Lurker John said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:24 am

Verlander is mighty tough and winning the WS would be the crowning achievement of his great career. I expect him to be on his game. Hill can be as well, but he’s no Verlander.

7. snarkk said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:21 am

I suggested last night the roster increase due to the juiced balls. But, that’s just the latest reason; the season is too long and the Pen is used so much anyway, the roster move up to 28 is warranted even without a juiced ball.

• chipower9 said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:39 am

Yep. I have called for an expansion to 27 or 28, and at the same time, shit-canning the DH.

8. Lurker John said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:28 am

And any mention of Kershaw and Bum in the same sentence is a damn joke. Bum is an all-time great postseason pitcher, maybe the all-time great postseason pitcher, and Kershaw isn’t even close. I don’t care how many “quality starts” he has. Let’s put that lie to rest for good.

9. snarkk said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:33 am

This Houston offense is pretty incredible if it is hitting on all cylinders. I would not say at all they they have to win game 6 or it’s over. Both pitching staffs are pretty much suspect now, so I think it’s a battle of the offenses now. The heat is literally off in LA, so I expect the HR count to go down — maybe only 4 or 5 per game now…

10. chipower9 said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:37 am

Agree. One of the most entertaining games ever.

And I am not a fan of juicing the balls (Chicks dog the long ball be damned), but regardless, what a fucking epic game.

Six or seven games, I could care less, as long as the Stros wrap-up their first WS title, especially at the hands of the hated bumbinos.

Loved Loo’s Post last night (Rooster – I’ll have seconds). LMAO…

Go Stros!

11. snarkk said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:42 am

Listening to KNBR, they’re making a good point.
    What would Bonds do at height of his “powers” with this juiced ball?
    He’d hit 100 bombs, or what I’d add — just get walked every time up…

• Flavor said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:51 am

that’s why I dismiss the argument that James and a couple others made a month ago–they referenced high rpg scored as recently as 2008/09— imagine what the rpg would have been back then had they been using these moon balls.

12. Flavor said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:49 am

the thing I can’t get over is how many clutch moments there were last night. Juiced ball aside, you still have to hit the ball on the screws. In those do or die moments with so much on the line it was astounding how many hitters came through, on both sides, over and over…..

• djloo27 said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:57 am

I don’t think you even have to hit it on the screws. I’m seeing balls go out that absolutely weren’t “barreled up” as they like to say now. Turner’s HR the other day clearly one of them…

• sandog said, on October 30, 2017 at 9:28 am

Puig had one hand on the bat and had to lunge to get it toward the end of the barrel. . Now he’s a strong dude—I know, but that was ridiculous.

13. snarkk said, on October 30, 2017 at 9:02 am

16 extra base hits last night, with 7 HRs.
    Teams combined for 18 Ks, which was 30% of the outs. Pretty high…

14. Lurker John said, on October 30, 2017 at 9:05 am

Some guy in the Dodgers comment section likened the current game to beer league softball. After watching last night’s game, it’s hard to argue. But what drama it was.

• sandog said, on October 30, 2017 at 9:26 am

It reminds me of the old College World Series when they used to use aluminum bats and the games would basically be ridiculous home run derby contests.
      Did they ever go away from the aluminum bats in college?

• zumiee said, on October 30, 2017 at 10:25 am

I don’t think so, but don’t quote me on that.

15. Flavor said, on October 30, 2017 at 9:52 am

Steph Curry is the best

• sandog said, on October 30, 2017 at 11:17 am

This was so cool. I’d like to see him stop throwing his saliva-covered mouthpiece at people, but this was cool. Also glad to see Draymond so entertained by this bit.

16. wilcojoe said, on October 30, 2017 at 9:59 am

I’ve watched a lot of games at MMP and have seen a fair share of cheapies but that pop up that Correa hit for a HR was all the evidence you need that these balls are super juiced. Same thing with Puig’s one handed home run. Regardless, it was the most exciting game I have ever witnessed. Game 2 is probably right behind it.

17. zumiee said, on October 30, 2017 at 10:22 am

A Dodger fan being rough on Kershaw:
    “One thing for sure last night, Kershaw did put his legacy in concrete last night. He will never be able to remove the stigma of being a poor post season pitcher. that narrative will never be able to be removed, I don’t care if he throws shut out baseball the rest of his career, he will be stained by this forever. I know we all like the guy but he is going to be known as “the greatest regular season pitcher and one of the largest post season busts”.”

• zumiee said, on October 30, 2017 at 10:23 am

Kershaw could come in for relief in a Game 7, which could be a chance to salvage his reputation.

• djloo27 said, on October 30, 2017 at 10:42 am

Sure could – and would…

18. zumiee said, on October 30, 2017 at 10:29 am

There are some rough memes out there this morning.

• Macdog said, on October 30, 2017 at 10:47 am

At least Kershaw’s gotten this far. Romo never even made it to the NFC championship game.

• wilcojoe said, on October 30, 2017 at 10:51 am

Who knew Romo’s true calling was broadcasting? He has gotten rave reviews for his work as a color analyst. I agree, he’s pretty damn good.

• djloo27 said, on October 30, 2017 at 11:38 am

I think he wishes he were able to see defenses from the vantage point of the broadcast booth when he was playing…

19. sandog said, on October 30, 2017 at 11:57 am

Who pitches Game 7 for Houston if needed? And do you consider giving Verlander an extra day and save him to be more rested for Game 7? It would probably never happen, but if he gets knocked out early in Game 6, someone will bring it up….
    I think Jack McKeon faced a similar deal with Josh Beckett against the Yankees and chose to throw him in Game 6—and he came through with a gem to close it out. Gutsy decision. I think he may have actually brought him back on short rest, so he would have been crushed if that backfired on him.

• djloo27 said, on October 30, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Since this isn’t real baseball they’re playing, there’s no point in trying to figure out any real baseball strategy…

20. unca_chuck said, on October 30, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Romo talks WAAAAAAY too much for his own good. He’ll learn I’d think, but as of now, he’s an annoyance.

I’d say there were 4-5 cheapies last night. Puig’s being the most egregious.

I think this loss crushed LA and they roll over meekly to Verlander. A-Gon is gone, Puig is a grandstanding dumbass,n Pederson stands at home to watch his double, on and on. These guys are too in love with themselves to pull together as a team. Seager be damned.

21. alleykat69 said, on October 30, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Yeah this series reminds me when I was watching “Men of Steel” softball team out of Ohio before my later game at Twin Creeks off of 237. They would be all decked out in fancy road unis a manager /asst mgr/ all the latest killer titanium bats.
    It was a joke watching every dude jack one out, and if he didn’t the occasional laser single are double all the fans would boo their asses off at that player!!

• zumiee said, on October 30, 2017 at 2:07 pm

In the Friday night softball league I played in for several years, they changed the rules so that a ball hit over the fence was no longer an HR; instead the batter is out.

• zumiee said, on October 30, 2017 at 2:09 pm

I never swung for the fences anyway. I was always just trying to hit a liner over the infield. There were 10 fielders (4 outfielders.)

• Flavor said, on October 30, 2017 at 5:27 pm

I played at twin creeks for a year, it was stupid. Just a bunch of dudes jacking out bombs all day. They were all dicks, too. And yeah Zumiee, they had that in our Palo Alto league too. After the first one, all HR’s were outs.

• xoot said, on October 30, 2017 at 6:05 pm

softball’s very big in Anchorage–May and June the leagues play late into the sunshot nights. I was on the state supreme court’s team the year I clerked there and I loved it. What a blast that league was. One game, however, a guy on the other team positioned his young children behind the backstop to watch him drive bombs into the birch forest beyond LF. For some reason, he was never able to reach the trees. Our LFs pulled in every big fly. After his third AB failure, he threw an absurd disappointment tantrum at the plate (pounding the ground with his bat, screaming in frustration etc.), a display that must’ve made a deep impression on his children.

22. zumiee said, on October 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm

More off-season excitement!
    “On Monday afternoon, Evans and the Giants claimed infielder Michah Johnson off of waivers from the Cincinnati Reds, who added Johnson to their roster just four days ago. Johnson spent part of the 2017 season with the Atlanta Braves, as he recorded two hits in 10 at-bats for the Braves in 18 games.”

• alleykat69 said, on October 30, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Sounds like a perfect Giant coming off the bench with that .200 avg..

23. zumiee said, on October 30, 2017 at 4:49 pm

“dan haren
    @ithrow88
    So thankful they juiced the ball after I retired. So damn thankful.”

• xoot said, on October 30, 2017 at 5:57 pm

exactly. Maybe the pitchers need their own union now.

24. zumiee said, on October 30, 2017 at 5:48 pm

“Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
    To repeat: 49ers are trading a 2018 2nd-round draft pick for Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo, sources tell ESPN.”

• Flavor said, on October 30, 2017 at 6:32 pm

if Belichick is gonna give this guy away for a second rounder that tells you what he thinks of him. Still, he’s got more promise than BeatHard. Couldn’t hurt to try him out.

25. snarkk said, on October 30, 2017 at 7:04 pm

I liked Steph’s Halloween vid.
    He didn’t even have one turnover the whole 90 seconds…

26. unca_chuck said, on October 30, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Belichick was trying to get a 1st round pick for Garoppolo at the start of the season. This is the last year of Garoppolo’s contract, so he was gone anyway as the Pats couldn’t sign him this offseason. They tried.

The kicker being NE will prolly get Hoyer back as he was drafted by them. This doesn’t have anything to do with what Belichick thinks of Jimmy G. He’s more than happy with Brady for the next couple-3 years.

• Flavor said, on October 31, 2017 at 5:39 am

players who leave the NE system have a great % of failure at their next stop.

27. djloo27 said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I have a new reason to live and it’s called Modelo!

• willedav said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:36 pm

plus another good weekend to be a Chiefs fan. Raiders lose again and Broncos taking it on the chin.

• djloo27 said, on October 30, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Sure is, but man are they frustrating at times.
        Example: The last 48 years…

28. willedav said, on October 30, 2017 at 9:36 pm

even without Chris Paul and J J Redick, I still can’t stand Clips. Warriors blowing them out of Staples ctr, up 25 in 4th…garbage time coming soon.

29. unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2017 at 7:29 am

That doesn’t mean Jimmy G aunt gonna Work out. Plus it Beats doing nothing, Flav

30. obsessivegiantscompulsive said, on November 7, 2017 at 8:40 am

Yeah, that was pretty amazing to see Houston almost abandon using their relievers, and go with starters. Especially Giles basically getting sat down at the end. But that’s what happens when your guys aren’t doing it for you in relief, luckily they had so many extra starters around to soak up the innings, and that Morton was so good for them, both starting and relief.