Paying Up For Bombs

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 11, 2017

First, thanks to Xoot for the time he puts forth to gather and disseminate the Stix info.

Second, go Cardinal…..

Third, Stanton?

The only reason I’m bringing it up is because it’s November 11th and five years from now I might need a RPAD for this day. Rumor mill has churned out the Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants and Phillies as contenders for him. All 4 of those teams could take on his salary so being able to do so is not leverage. I’d guess the Phillies are out because Miami isn’t going to trade him to a team in their division. The Giants don’t have any prospects to send the Marlins so that disqualifies them. That leaves Boston and St. Louis. And I bet the Cardinals want him more. So that’s where I bet he ends up.

RPAD time…..this one is from 11/11/16. After reading it again I felt like saying “RIP Stix” because that’s basically what’s happened to him.

1. willedav said, on November 11, 2017 at 7:57 am

check out Zum in the RPAD: “Well see how serious Giants brass is about winning the division…”
    hope they take this offseason a little more seriously.

I could see SF dealing Panik Marlins way if they wind up salary dumping Dee Gordon off somewhere. Arroyo could fill that spot better than he would as “power hitting 3b.” There are those types out there tho.
    Agree Cardinals probably have the prospects etc. to get Stanton.

Mose Allison would have been 90 today…reading the politics on that thread from a year ago, his great tune “Your Mind Is on Vacation (and Your Mouth Is Working Overtime)” seems appropriate.

2. zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 8:00 am

Wow, the retro-post has a retro-post!
    Mind = blown.

3. alleykat69 said, on November 11, 2017 at 8:15 am

Giants will never be in on Stanton.
    I think it was Zumie who said something like the Giants start their own rumors just to keep the fan base interested.All just smoke and mirrors with this organization.
    The real fan base mostly the Flap vets no better to fall in their cesspool of BS.

4. willedav said, on November 11, 2017 at 8:45 am

In Brisbee’s column about “this is a good time for Giants to be looking for 3b,” he lists stats for 36 guys over last 2 years and ranks them by WAR. Jedd Gyorko has hit 50 bombs in last 2 years for STL. Lot of stiffs on that list, but also one guy that isn’t on it is interesting— Reds SS Cozart, who has exploded last 2 years and is looking for contract upgrade.

If he would move to 3b, what do you have? Is he a mostly product of combined forces of juiced ball and bandbox warm weather yard, or would he be a productive middle order RH bat anywhere?

• willedav said, on November 11, 2017 at 8:54 am

According to mlbtr Reds aren’t going to offer Cozart the QO, so any team signing him as FA would not be hit with loss of draft pick. Hmmnn.

5. willedav said, on November 11, 2017 at 9:03 am

Cozart numbers from B/R;
    32 years old currently played 120 games each of last 2 seasons due to injuries
    .930 OPS last year up 200 points over 2016. .297 BA up 40 points, OB +80 slugging +120
    40 HRs last 2 years
    .958 OPS at home .900 on road 12 HRs each last year home/road
    Vs. LHP 1.059 OPS last year (!)

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2017 at 9:43 am

Come from one of those hitter parks you immediately cross guys off the list for. How come you want this guy?

• willedav said, on November 11, 2017 at 10:02 am

just wondering if he’d fit. RH pop, vet guy not unproven kid, and I’m not really sold on Arroyo for 3b. Hammers LH pitching, unlike giants LH heavy LU. Blog comments on mlbtr pretty positive on skill level, D too.
      .900 OPS on the road nothing to sneeze at, tho he does play in other hitters yards in NL Centrai.

I like/dislike a lot of guys. I wonder what others like your self think and why–would this guy help the Giants/be worth what it might take to get him in terms of $$$. Lot of thoughtful intelligent baseball savvy people here, who have changed my thoughts about players value over the years.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 11, 2017 at 10:18 am

Enough history for retro posts? This blog has truly made it.

I’d say yes to Stanton but come on, the FO will never fork over that cheddar and is short on worthwhile prospects to throw in. The club needs to trade as many of the concussion prone honkys that they can-move Panik and plug in Arroyo, put together a better defensive outfield and find a real stick at the hot corner.

Catching up on past threads, I’d like to thank Sabean for coming out of the wilderness to play wet nurse to Booby, the only GM in the game that still wears diapers.

7. zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 10:48 am

Bill Walton, during the broadcast of the game in China last night, roasted the 3 shoplifters very hard. At one point, apologizing to China on behalf of the human race.
    There’s some human race violations China could be apologizing for, too.
    Walton spent a lot of time during the game praising China non-stop, with no criticism.

8. zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Oh man….lqtm.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 12:19 pm

That photo is kind of classic.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 11, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Beckett is obviously a rookie when it comes to stage diving which is really an art form that should only be attempted by seasoned professionals.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Yeah, he misunderstood the whole concept.

• snarkk said, on November 11, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Like I’ve said before, I love the game of baseball. All the players, not so much. A lot of them are idiots and buffoons. Some are likely of the type that would vote for Roy Moore…

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Even the guy who is supposed to be brilliant, Trevor Bauer, slashed his hand on a drone and messed up Cleveland’s chance to win a World Series.

9. Flavor said, on November 11, 2017 at 2:15 pm

I thought that if you stole something in China you were fucked. How are these silver spooned athletes gonna avoid the boom that would get lowered on pretty much anyone else? China don’t need no *Big Baller* $$$$.
    Also, fuck all 3 of those guys. Strolling around China trying to steal shit? Who are you? Fuck you.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Both nations will want to avoid this turning into a big international issue. China and the U.S. are huge trading partners. China needs the whole thing to go away, without losing face on it. It’ll get smoothed over.
      I learned this from watching “The West Wing” and “House of Cards.”

10. pawliekokonuts said, on November 11, 2017 at 5:20 pm

I read at mlb.com that the Phillies have only $7 million committed to salaries in 2018. Looked like a typo. Read it again. Heck, they can just write the $290 million check right now.

11. zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 6:09 pm

In the Arizona Fall League game on the MLB network there was a major collision in the outfield. Neither outfielder saw the collision coming.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 6:09 pm

One guy taken off on a stretcher.

12. zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 6:31 pm

This Acuna dude for the Braves looks really good. 2 HRs in the game.

13. Flavor said, on November 11, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Zumiee how do you stay all in for baseball all year round? If I don’t ever see another baseball till February I’ll be good.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Some of it is on visits to my mom. She became a baseball fan after my dad passed away in 2010. It helped fill her time. She got caught up in the Giants’ march to the title and has been hooked ever since as a Giants fan. There are a lot of elderly women who watch baseball, but it’s a sort of under-appreciated demographic in the baseball world. Lots of my mom’s friends watch the sport. My mom watches the MLB network quite a bit. She looks in the sports section of the newspaper for baseball news. She has very little interest in other sports.
      It’s been a great thing for her, and it also keeps me focused on baseball pretty much year-round.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 8:02 pm

My mom always watches the entire game. The Giants could be losing 11-0 and she’ll watch every inning.
        And don’t get her started on Casilla in ’16 or Melancon last season….

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 8:07 pm

The Braves’ big rebuild has caused my wife’s interest in baseball to wane a bit.
        We’re going to try to go to more minor league games in the future, as we used to do.

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2017 at 8:23 pm

she wouldn’t like hanging out with me at a game. I’m kinda all over the place.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 8:44 pm

I tend to stay pretty locked in at a game because I almost always keep a score-card during the game.

14. zumiee said, on November 11, 2017 at 8:50 pm

That Kenly Janssen 0-2 pitch to Marwin Gonzalez may be the worst pitch in baseball history. 0-2 cutter to a left-handed hitter over the middle of the plate, right into the barrel of the bat. It was the turning point of the World Series.

15. snarkk said, on November 12, 2017 at 12:45 am

Interesting article on Aaron Hernandez and the NFL…
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/sports/aaron-hernandez-brain-cte.html action=click&contentCollection=U.S.&module=Trending&version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Say Something....

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s