Thanksgiving 2017

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 23, 2017

Today is Thanksgiving and I’m flying out of here in a couple of hours. I won’t be bringing my laptop as I try to lessen the likelihood that TSA will screw with me. The ultimate dream is to one day walk on to a plane with no carry on, shirtless, wearing nothing but a speedo and flip flops. Scan that, bitches. And “helllloooo!!!!!” adjacent seatmate.

So today is the last Flap post till Sun. Find something in this darkening world to be thankful for and I’ll catch you guys on the flip side….

1. Flavor said, on November 23, 2017 at 6:02 am

if you want to read something more positive, here’s Daniel’s post for today. 🙂

• willedav said, on November 23, 2017 at 9:30 am

thx. Like everyone here he is great guy to have on board and share.
      And maybe Giants can find a CF, at least stop gap, from STL if they can’t pry Yelich loose from salary dumping Marlins.

Wow Cal embarrasses Pac 12 over in Maui. They stayed with awesome Wichita st. couple days ago and now get hammered by host D-2 school. You knew they didn’t have much depth of talent to start with, but looks like the rebuild might need a rebuild. Wouldn’t want to be at their next practice.

2. alleykat69 said, on November 23, 2017 at 9:00 am

“Shirtless wearing nothing but a speedo and flip flops.Scan that bitches” ROTFLMAO!!!
    Your the new “DUDE” From one of my all time favorite movie “The Big Lebowski “Hey man you just call me the dude,duder,dudester
    Happy Thanksgiving 🦃 to all,on the all and powerful Flap Nation!!

• zumiee said, on November 23, 2017 at 9:21 am

The Dude abides!
      Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

3. snarkk said, on November 23, 2017 at 10:19 am

Happy Thanksgiving to Flap Nation.
    I’m still thankful for the 3 in 5. Hell, I would have taken 1 in 55, but hey, the more the merrier. And recent thanks for the perfect Doghair Denouement.

Just got a Whats App message from the older snarkette over in Spain. She’s heading to a hosted Thanksgiving dinner for American kids at a nice hotel in her university town — must be rough. Dinner always starts late in Spain — 9:30 tonight.

I’m making a green bean with bacon and apple cider side dish, Mrs. snarkk made a pumpkin-molasses pie. Heading over to some friends later on. They’re shouldering the turkey and rest of heavy lifting on the dinner — should be about a dozen or so at the table. Plus, as the tryptophan and Pinot combo kicks in, we get to leave when the dishes are stilled piled high — sweet ! …

4. Macdog said, on November 23, 2017 at 11:52 am

Have a great Thanksgiving Day everyone!

5. zumiee said, on November 23, 2017 at 1:04 pm

The Lions lost on Thanksgiving! No way; that never happens.

6. zumiee said, on November 23, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Dodger fan gallows humor:

Itsthatguywhodoesstuff
    2 hours ago
    We have nothing to be thankful for. We lost on game 7 of the World Series. This means life is a bottomless pit of pure misery and despair.
    I’m having my Thanksgiving at Arby’s.

Dong88
    2 hours ago
    Thankful for our 2nd place Los Angeles Dodgers

7. gianthead said, on November 23, 2017 at 4:42 pm

A Happy Flapper Flap Day to Flap Nation from an over-stuffed Giant Head!!!

• Flavor said, on November 23, 2017 at 6:27 pm

I think that second piece of pie was unnecessary. Rolling on to the couch now to watch ‘skins game.

8. willedav said, on November 23, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Watching Florida vs. Stanford in the PK80. Gators have 91 points with 9:30 to go in second half.

• zumiee said, on November 23, 2017 at 9:27 pm

That’s bad coaching. Trying to play up-tempo against a team that has more talent and is better at playing up-tempo is pointless, and gives a team no chance to win.
      It’s better to slow it down and try to get lucky by winning ugly.
      Sure, the players always want to play up-tempo. It’s more fun for the players. But the goal is to win.

9. mrsprtdude said, on November 24, 2017 at 12:10 am

I’m thankful for the Flap. A place to connect, cheer, or jeer our beloved team. Happy turkey day to all!

10. zumiee said, on November 24, 2017 at 12:27 am

Fun fact: at one of the Giants games I went to last season, Stanton hit 2 HRs.

11. blade3colorado said, on November 24, 2017 at 9:59 pm

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving . . . Broken record here, but I’m adamant about my opposition to adding significant payroll to this already bloated, old roster of “has-beens.”

I indicated earlier that Cain is getting long in the tooth and is injury prone, i.e., the Royals saw his best seasons. Similarly, durability has been an ongoing issue for Stanton. He has reached the 145-game mark only three times in eight years, and one NL talent evaluator expressed concern for how “large humans like Stanton” tend to age. Stanton has dealt with hamstring, knee, abdominal, shoulder and groin problems, along with his most serious injuries — a fractured jaw in 2014 and a broken wrist in 2015.

Consequently, I question the unbelievable roll of the dice we’re taking on Stanton. Me? I would take a bye next season, cutting payroll, either by trading or releasing our “dead wood.” Make a few incremental improvements across the board, which doesn’t add more onerous contracts to the ones we have. If successful in doing this during the off-season and 2018 season – go all in after next season, where younger stud free agents like Harper and Machado are available.

• Flavor said, on November 25, 2017 at 6:54 am

I wouldn’t be opposed to that since you aren’t suggesting a rebuild– something our brass doesn’t know how to do. It would be a wasted year but if we got Harper or Machado I could dig that. Worry is that if you don’t get them you’re stuck in another wasted year.

12. unca_chuck said, on November 25, 2017 at 9:43 am

Cutting payroll and jettisoning dead wood isn’t a rebuild?

• Flavor said, on November 25, 2017 at 11:15 am

Signing Harper isn’t a rebuild

13. unca_chuck said, on November 25, 2017 at 11:32 am

Harper? What, $400 mill oughta do it? We need 2 years of bloodletting to go that route.

• Flavor said, on November 25, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Do we? They seem to think they could take on Stanton right now

14. zumiee said, on November 25, 2017 at 12:10 pm

The Mariners are making a big push for Ohtani. It’s a good move for them.

15. zumiee said, on November 25, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I’m kind of curious what the interest for Hosmer will be. Good solid player, but not a big wow factor.

• Flavor said, on November 25, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Left handed. Fuck that.

• zumiee said, on November 25, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Well, I meant MLB-wide. 🙂
        In this new era of launch-angle, is Hosmer already seen as kind of so-so?

16. unca_chuck said, on November 25, 2017 at 4:09 pm

I think that whatever Stanton gets this year, Harper gets 40-50% more next year. Younger and all.

17. djloo27 said, on November 25, 2017 at 5:22 pm

I’m circling December 8th on the calendar as the day the Giants make a big move (Stanton?).
    It’s the 25th anniversary of signing Bonds…

• zumiee said, on November 25, 2017 at 5:28 pm

And the day Lennon was shot. Just sayin.’

• xoot said, on November 25, 2017 at 5:37 pm

And one day after the anniversary of Pearl harbor. I’ll go with the big Giants move.

• Macdog said, on November 25, 2017 at 7:59 pm

And my daughter’s birthday!

18. zumiee said, on November 25, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Nice Stanford TD.
    Aired it out on the post pattern.

19. willedav said, on November 25, 2017 at 6:17 pm

14-0 UW over Wazzu.

I’ll look up stats later, but if the choice is who gets $300 mil btw Stanton Harper and Machado, I’m taking Stanton in a NY minute.

20. unca_chuck said, on November 25, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Harper will get $350 mill

• willedav said, on November 25, 2017 at 6:45 pm

both the others are younger yes. Harper played 111 games last year, and in second and third years in ml played 100 and 118. Only once in his career, 3 yrs ago, has he ever hit more than 29 HRs which he did last year. Year before that 24.

21. zumiee said, on November 25, 2017 at 6:45 pm

The new episode of Loudermilk is very funny.

22. willedav said, on November 25, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Let’s not forget who pinned the all important other L on Wazzu either…Cal smoked them 37-7.

Maybe Wilco would know since Mayfield is a Texas kid, but are there too many red flags to make him a first round top of draft pick?

23. Macdog said, on November 25, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Oh my, the Irish are falling apart.

• willedav said, on November 25, 2017 at 8:18 pm

very cool. I don’t often root for Stanford, but vs. ND, yeah.
      Costello having pretty good night.
      wow they put the QB back in and he throws another int in the end zone.

• djloo27 said, on November 25, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Rooting against ND ever since Kelly ditched Cincy for the job before their bowl game.
        Real prick move…

24. willedav said, on November 25, 2017 at 8:16 pm

meanwhile UW is up 41-7 over Wazzu. the running back Gaskins has 192 yds and 4 TDs. Wazzu QB Falk has 3 Ints.

• Macdog said, on November 25, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Wille, did you hear about the Bama-Minnesota hoops game today? Tide played 3-on-5 for the final 10+ minutes and still almost won.

25. zumiee said, on November 25, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Kings vs. Clippers, Doc Rivers is a non-stop ref-baiter. Weak.

26. blade3colorado said, on November 26, 2017 at 4:55 am

Tiger Woods? Jack Nicklaus? Both were heroes to me back in the day. Tiger scratched from my list a long time ago (but I despise him now for playing golf with the Washington DC moron on Thanksgiving day). Nicklaus played with Trump yesterday. Pfffttt! I think the only athlete that never disappointed me was Ali . . .