Finding Relievers Who Can Get The Job Done

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 30, 2017

I still don’t understand why Yusmeiro Petit isn’t a Giant. This guy was nails for us out of the bullpen—a bullpen that has not been nails since he left. He’s affordable, he’s reliable and now he’s in Oakland. While guys like Derek Law and Tyler Beede “instagram” their way through their careers, Petit just keeps his nose to the grind and works. I wish we had him and more guys like him in our bullpen….

RPAD Time:

lol, check out the vote results…(I still have no idea who Bartlett is)

I’m not a Beatles fan at all so maybe those who are wouldn’t be surprised by this. 1969 was the last time all 4 were photographed together?

1. zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:05 am

The Beatles ended up remaining friends over the years, but were living in separate places. John was in NY City a lot in the ’70s. All the other ex-Beatles would visit him at various random times.

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:07 am

Had John not died so young, there could have been some kind of reunion get-together for all four.

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:12 am

Paul’s main residence was on a farm in Scotland. I think he still has that farm.

2. zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:16 am

President Bartlett was a great character in the show The West Wing, portrayed by the excellent Martin Sheen.
    I highly recommend Sheen’s movie “The Way.” It’s a movie that stays with you a long time, in a good way.

3. sandog said, on November 30, 2017 at 8:10 am

Given all that, that still blows my mind that the last pic of those guys altogether was taken in 1969.
    It always fascinated me how different John Lennon looked over the years. I remember asking my brothers when did this guy with the round classes and beard join the band? I would hold albums side by side and couldn’t believe it was the same guy.

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2017 at 8:46 am

exactly. And there was what? 11 years that went by after that pic b4 Lennon was shot. And not a single pic of the 4 of them.

4. alleykat69 said, on November 30, 2017 at 8:39 am

To me the Giants always discard the PR /Mexican relievers except for Romo/Casilla as a dime a dozen they can get. Petit was a mistake they should of kept,he wasn’t expensive and quite reliable who could pitch long relief are spot start for ya as well..

5. willedav said, on November 30, 2017 at 8:50 am

I don’t think there is anything wrong with Cutch. After slow start he had pretty good season–28 HRs and .849 OPS, by far best on underperforming team. what it would take to get him/how many years of deal he would want idk. Pirates O was pretty bad so unless they are hoping for others to bounce back they are in tough spot trying to contend in that division.
    Might not cost more than Shaw and a pitcher.

I feel same way about L Cain too. Can play good CF and is good solid hitter, two major needs especially if Stanton deal falls through.

6. zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 9:06 am

It’s important to remember the Beatles had lived inside each other’s hip pocket for the previous 12 years. And also that John and Paul had hard feelings about each other for the first few years of the break-up. How many divorced couples hang out together after the divorce? This was a 4-way divorce. Well, 3-way divorce; Ringo was like the child of the divorced parents.
    As time went on, the four became friendly to each other again. Paul would secretly visit John in NY City. They knew if people knew they were meeting there’d be a huge public clamor for a musical reunion.

7. Macdog said, on November 30, 2017 at 9:09 am

Another from the Macdog library, this from a Beatles book:

August 22, 1969: The Beatles are photographed together for the last time, in the grounds of John and Yoko’s home, Tittenhurst Park.

Two weeks earlier, the Beatles were photographed for the famous Abbey Road album cover.

If anyone here has the “Hey Jude” album, I’m pretty sure the front and back pictures were taken at that final photo session.

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 9:14 am

• Macdog said, on November 30, 2017 at 9:17 am

That’s the one!

8. zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 9:12 am

It’s hard for me sometimes to believe that the skinny aesthetic-looking Lennon of later years is the same guy as the mop-top guy who was a little pudgy with baby fat. And that transformation happened within a few years.

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 9:18 am

But it’s also hard sometimes to fathom all the transformation that happened during the ’60s.

9. alleykat69 said, on November 30, 2017 at 10:25 am

The latest Stanton follies..
    The Marlins would accept the trade of Panik,Beede,and Shaw if the Giants take on 250 mil of Stanton’s contract. No mention of Dee Gordon on this deal..

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Make it so!
      Book ’em, Dano!

10. Irish Kevin said, on November 30, 2017 at 11:22 am

The Miami Marlins have agreed to lower their asking price in trade talks for Giancarlo Stanton with the San Francisco Giants—provided the club picks up $250 million of the $295 million remaining on his contract

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 30, 2017 at 11:30 am

The only thing worse than the Beatles is the endless droning of their fans.

Both Uribes were favorites of mine and the 2018 club needs some Uribe types imo. Dudes that live and breath for baseball. I just don’t get that vibe from the Honky Squad.

That retro post was really well rounded. There’s a poll, some minor Belt skirmishes leading to Room B talk followed by pining for a high salary aging vet, boner pill videos and a critique of Gruden’s hair parting choices. lulz.

• willedav said, on November 30, 2017 at 12:21 pm

yeah was a good thread. Stix loved Belt, just overestimated what he could do here. SnowLite is OK with me tho I’d love to see him hit.280 this year instead of whatever he hit 2017.
      Tejada Fontenot and the riot, lol. So many things went so wrong in 2011.

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2017 at 12:27 pm

great summary. And I agree with you completely about the Beatles and their fans. I never got them, I never will.

12. zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I do drone on about the Beatles. 🙂 I find them inexhaustibly interesting, like Lincoln and the Civil War, or other pivotal moments in history.
    I do think most of the Beatles’ work will stand the test of time, if human civilization exists far into the future. Their songs will still be there, like Mozart and Beethoven, but who knows?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 30, 2017 at 12:47 pm

No offense, zumiee. I can appreciate the Beatles and their influence, just not a fan.

13. zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Interesting reverse angle of the Abbey Road photo shoot.

14. willedav said, on November 30, 2017 at 12:17 pm

OK it’s on Evans to convince the $$$ men Giants can take on the salary (at least for 3 yrs til Stanton could opt out) AND go get more help for CF and whatever IF spot not manned by Arroyo. Because the other holes are still there and need to be filled to contend/compete.

15. Flavor said, on November 30, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Panik, Beede and Shaw AND taking on 250 mil is too much for Stanton. I’d give them MAYBE 2 of those guys if we are taking on a quarter of a billion dollars.

16. wilcojoe said, on November 30, 2017 at 12:42 pm

I am losing so much interest in the Giants by the minute. Stanton makes zero sense at his pricepoint and by that I mean having to give up the players being mentioned on top of the salary they would be taking on. This is strictly a splash move to keep the “lunatic fringe” at bay. What Baer should be doing is taking that money and making “offers they can’t refuse” deals to the Andrew Friedman’s and Jeff Luhnow’s of the front office world. Now that would be something to get excited about.

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 30, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Yup, take the salary and give them Beede along with some lower level arms but not Panik & Shaw. I think Shaw is going to be a really good power hitter that can handle AT&T from the left side so I hope they hold onto him somehow.

18. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Where have you gone, Guillermo Mota-o? Flap nation turns its lonely eyes to you . . .

Woo woo woo

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Coincidentally, the next book up on my queue is a new biography of Paul Simon.

19. zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 3:03 pm

“the Beatles and their fans. I never got them, I never will.”

If you said that to the guys in AC/DC or Guns and Roses they would be pretty mystified by that statement. They know how great the Beatles are.

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2017 at 4:12 pm

look, I think the Beatles suck, ok? I know other people who think they suck, too. I don’t care if you like them or if they have a large fan base. I think THEY SUCK

• Irish Kevin said, on November 30, 2017 at 6:46 pm

That is how I feel about Led Zepplin! 1 good song and they became like the greatest rock band, yuck 🤢🤮🤮

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:14 pm

they have like 30 great songs

• unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:34 pm

That they ripped off from others

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:35 pm

lol

20. Flavor said, on November 30, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Zarate not guilty of murder. That is so fucked up. This fucking guy gets off and Stix gets 5 years? Our legal system is an embarrassment.

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Predictable with a jury that follows law. Physical evidence contra the necessary mens tea for murder. Invol manslaughter was right charge, but politics required the murder charge …

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:34 pm

mens rea = state of mind

21. Irish Kevin said, on November 30, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Ah yes music choices, the Beatles were okay, I don’t dislike them and I would be hard pressed to say their music will not beat the test of time. The egos of Paul and John are what ruined that band, I am pretty sure Mick and Keith had their disagreements but they put the band first, smart move on their part.

22. zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 6:59 pm

“According to a report by veteran MLB reporter Jon Heyman on Thursday, Stanton has concerns about accepting a trade to the Giants, as the outfielder is not convinced that the team has the depth to turn things around after losing 98 games last season.”

Well, if Stanton’s going to start pulling at that thread, this trade will really fall apart like a cheap sweater.

23. Flavor said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:13 pm

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:52 pm

If they can take Baer to Miami, I would take on Stanton’s entire deal..

24. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:35 pm

oh joy

25. Flavor said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:55 pm

The way this is going, any guys left without bein accused of harassment are gonna feel like they missed the memo…

26. blade3colorado said, on November 30, 2017 at 7:59 pm

I’ve already said it would be franchise death, to add this gazillion dollar statue to our already inept outfield. Now, the Fish want us to practically pay his entire contract, sans Gordon? Sheesh, we might as well bend over . . .

Fortunately, Stanton has no desire to come here either, as he’s spot on in perceiving us as “also rans.” In other words, he sees this team going through multiple wilderness years before competing. Here’s how Grant Brisbee sees it playing out:

• alleykat69 said, on November 30, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Great read Blade!
      And it will probably be spot on that the Giants will end up with stained underwear on their heads as the Dodgers add both Stanton&Othani under their Christmas tree!
      Curious what players the Dodgers would have to give up to get Stanton? Sure the Marlins would be after Corey Seager, but no way their going to lose that future star at his age and the prime position he plays..

• blade3colorado said, on November 30, 2017 at 9:29 pm

With his no trade clause, Stanton holds all the cards AK. Consequently, If he wants to join the Bums, then that’s his destination, regardless of what the Fish want. Alternative is for them to keep Stanton and eat his contract.

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2017 at 6:02 am

he doesn’t hold all the cards. He holds some of the cards. The Fish could keep him and strip down the rest of their team. They aren’t going to be held hostage by the guy.

27. willedav said, on November 30, 2017 at 8:33 pm

As long as Giants are not in denial this is only move they have to make, go for it. At least Giants aren’t on hook for $30 mil owed to Gordon too.
    Panik is a league average player, .750 OPS with 10 HRs (all on the road last year). Good glove, OK. Underpaid, sure but very replaceable.

beede was not anything outstanding at Sac. He’s about 7th in line for SP job. Bye and take the little woman with you, pls.

Shaw unfortunately is a dreaded LH power bat. Belt and about 5 other OFs are in his way, Good luck to you son. These 3 would represent a pretty underwhelming haul for a guy like Stanton and Giants won’t miss them.

28. blade3colorado said, on November 30, 2017 at 8:44 pm

IMO Twin was spot on relegating Stix to Room B . . . As Belt did turn into Snow-lite.

I would love to hear his take on all the Stanton talk. I might ask him via email. Hmm . . .

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2017 at 6:01 am

let me know if you hear from him. He freaked out like a girl last month when I didn’t immediately respond to one of his emails.

29. James said, on November 30, 2017 at 9:44 pm

I check in for the first time in a few months and Y. Petit is getting some props. Nice.

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Cool video!

• unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Guy on the left looks a little like Flav . . .

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2017 at 6:00 am

that’s better than the Beatles did it.

30. zumiee said, on November 30, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Meanwhile, on a Dodger blog:

nữ hoàng phương bắc
    2 hours ago
    what the Dodgers really need is to trade for a diaper for Kershaw. So he can stop shitting himself every single fucking time it really counts

Superba
    2 hours ago
    this is dumb.
    (they could just buy him an adult diaper at the store. they aren’t that expensive.)

31. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Blande that article is funny AND depressing. We could settle for JD and JBruce. . . I just think throwing the world and eating Johnny’s contract is a fool’s errand.