Trying to Get The Big Bat

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 1, 2017

I’m tired of all this Mike Stanton talk. He’s not worth the booty that’s getting kicked around. He’s a better fit in LA or St. Louis. Not that I’d be bummed if we got him. If he’s in an SF uni I’ll get excited. And it’s not like he has all the leverage here. If the Marlins decide they prefer the Giants package over the Cardinals all they have to do is say “Go to SF or we’ll keep you, strip the entire team down and you’ll finish last for the rest of your career.” If he cares about winning, he won’t stay in Florida.

I guess that’s not a huge amount of leverage against Stanton but it’s something. And if the Giants actually offered Panik, Instagram Boy and Shaw AND agreed to take on a quarter of a billion dollars I have to assume that’s the best offer the Marlins will get.

Stay tuned.

RPAD Time:

Great pic in this one.

1. xoot said, on December 1, 2017 at 6:20 am

short post script on Stix. One Duluth paper published a story about our guy’s sentencing and it got picked up by a couple others in the Great North Woods area. Generally, the journalist repeated what we’ve already heard here (picking a few snippets from the recent briefs in the case out of context, to add “color”). One new fact (for me) in the news piece–the state of Minnesota dropped its attempted murder charges, etc., when the feds took over the prosecution. So legal problems probably won’t get worse.

More interesting, the Court’s docket in the case added a new detail. The judge ordered Stix to serve his prison time in the Federal Medical Center, Rochester. That’s where he’d be receiving mail soon, I assume. Some info:

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2017 at 6:39 am

some pretty infamous people have been there.

• willedav said, on December 1, 2017 at 7:51 am

seems like lot better place for him, and hopefully people who actually care will monitor his health.

2. willedav said, on December 1, 2017 at 8:01 am

I think Flav made pretty good point end of last thread—this might be best deal Marlins can get from a team Stanton would accept. If LA was in they’d have something on the table and apparently Stanton isn’t keen on STL.
    Fine, take him and build around him.

Marlins wanted to dump off $50 mil for next season, and Stanton only represents half of it so there’s going to be more deals out there. He’s gotta wonder what they will have left to work with and if any team would pitch to him,
    Despite all the bombs they hit, the Marlins gave up over 200 runs and never really contended. Beede over there won’t matter much.

3. willedav said, on December 1, 2017 at 8:16 am

Kind of funny what a waste Wilson was after he left for LA, and anytime after 2010 really. Last thing I remember of note was that scene of him going off on Baer.

4. blade3colorado said, on December 1, 2017 at 8:19 am

I just exchanged a couple of emails with Craig regarding Twin’s email address. Nothing really private or “top secret” regarding my email to Twin . . . Basically wanted to say hello and ask him his thoughts about Stanton specifically and the hot stove season in respect to the Giants? Here’s my message (hopefully, I’ll get more than a “goodbye” from him a la Flavor. Ha).

Hi Mike,

It’s been quite awhile since we have last spoken. I hope you and yours are doing well. Many, many changes to the Flap. I don’t post there as often anymore . . . Probably due mostly to living in Vietnam and the time zone change making it difficult to post. Additionally, you’re missed, along with others like Stix. You were certainly provocative and kept everyone on their toes. Hard to pin my finger on it or articulate this – but you definitely impacted and improved the Flap by your insightful comments. It made everyone else more thoughtful in turn.

Question – what do you think of all the talk about Stanton? Me? I hope the Giants pass on him for a number of reasons. Any other thoughts about the hot stove season?

I am now living mostly in Vietnam, with my wife, Linh and our 6 month old baby, Michele. Hopefully, we return to the USA in December for Christmas. Take care Michael . . .

Steve “blade”

5. Macdog said, on December 1, 2017 at 8:51 am

Now I’m looking for stories on Stix’s sentencing, here’s one:

• xoot said, on December 1, 2017 at 9:11 am

That’s the only one I’ve seen, republished acouple of times

• Macdog said, on December 1, 2017 at 9:34 am

Ok, looks like origin is Grand Forks Herald.

• xoot said, on December 1, 2017 at 10:59 am

either that or the Duluth News Tribune 😉

• xoot said, on December 1, 2017 at 11:01 am

no, you’re right. the reporter works for the GF Herald. Are you going to keep tabs on the news reports?

• Macdog said, on December 1, 2017 at 1:23 pm

I’m not sure what more will written about this.

6. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2017 at 8:55 am

Lyndon LaRouche?!? I met him when he was campaigning for the 1980 election. Talked to him for a little while in front of the San Mateo post office in 1980. Crazy mofo. I voted for John Anderson.

7. snarkk said, on December 1, 2017 at 9:07 am

zum, here’s a Beatles articles that will tell you more than even maybe you want to know about “I am the Walrus”…

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 1, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Is Stanton on board yet? Booby better hurry up because time is the killer of deals. Coffees is for closers Booby. Can’t work the leads? Hit the bricks!

Fun story about washed up rock and rollers. Back in the day I worked at this little pizza shop next to the Crow’s Nest. Pretty sure the place was propped up by illicit money because nobody came in to eat and I was pretty much giving away the store to my friends. I mean, they didn’t even deliver. What kind of pizza place doesn’t deliver?

Anyway, I ran the place by myself 5 days out of the week – did all the prep, cooking and cash etc. One day midweek in the middle of winter Robert Plant walks in and orders a slice. He was with some hot broad that walked out to the beach while he sat there at the counter chatting me up for about an hour eating slice after slice. He was quite friendly but didn’t leave a tip. Whatever. I always liked Zeppelin – especially their lyrics.

• sandog said, on December 1, 2017 at 2:56 pm

What a great story. Was that in Santa Cruz? And did you notice the Converse Dr. J’s Plant is wearing in that photo? Very nice.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 1, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Didn’t notice the Converse. I was too distracted by the guy in front of him wearing black socks with his sneakers. Who does that?

Yeah, down at the SC harbor, near the jetty. The restaurant opened up to the beach and the local women’s AVP players practiced on the sand right outside my office window. To this day it is one of the best jobs I ever had.

• Macdog said, on December 1, 2017 at 3:28 pm

That’s a cool story. Robert Plant giving no quarter(s) while down by the seaside, hopefully he at least said thank you.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 1, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Well played, Macdog!

9. alleykat69 said, on December 1, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Shooting the shit with Robert Plant for a hour and he didn’t leave you a tip? That’s fucked up Dirt,nice guy are not.

• djloo27 said, on December 1, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Jagger has a notorious reputation as a cheapskate…

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm

he’s still firing bullets, I think I heard today on the radio he became a dad again at 72

10. zumiee said, on December 1, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Snarkk, thanks for the link to the Beatles article. That’s right in my wheelhouse.
    I love the in-depth analysis, and all the tidbits, like explaining “semolina pilchard.”
    The author wrote: “You can juxtapose words that don’t seem like they belong together, like semolina and pilchard (coarse wheat and sardines, an odd mix—though Hunter Davies says they were both “foods from the ’50s that we all hated”).”

11. Flavor said, on December 1, 2017 at 4:33 pm

not feeling too good about the Cardinal tonight but they’ve shown me how tough they are this year. Exceeding my expectations based on how they’ve played the last month, how gutty Love is….

• willedav said, on December 1, 2017 at 5:51 pm

D has been really good lately. told a guy who came in yesterday with Cards hat on and said he was going tonite I thought Darnold was overrated and could be beaten. He looks good so far but can be turnover prone.
      Love is awesome. One play after they wax him he scores.

12. Macdog said, on December 1, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Looks like Yanks are hiring Aaron Boone as manager, so Bam Bam stays on

13. Flavor said, on December 1, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Arcega-Whiteside. Doubtful that he’s ever more than a college player but so fun to watch and root for.

14. zumiee said, on December 1, 2017 at 7:15 pm

clarkspencer
    @clarkspencer
    Marlins have narrowed their focus on some combination of these Giants prospects in any trade for Stanton: RHP Tyler Beede, 1B Chris Shaw, OF Heliot Ramos and C Aramis Garcia. 2B Joe Panik could ended up being included in a deal.

• zumiee said, on December 1, 2017 at 7:17 pm

• zumiee said, on December 1, 2017 at 7:19 pm

• zumiee said, on December 1, 2017 at 7:21 pm

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2017 at 7:52 pm

you’re peaked on this Zoom

15. Flavor said, on December 1, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Cardinal in a great spot to take down my most hated team in all of sports. Let’s do this.

• Macdog said, on December 1, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Ugh.

16. Flavor said, on December 1, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Game. As. Fuck.

17. Macdog said, on December 1, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Wow, two great catches on that TD drive.

18. snarkk said, on December 1, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Plant had to have the best male front man voice in Rock history. Or?
    Burdon, Mojo Risin, Mercury, Daltry, Orbison, Cooke, Perry. I’m stickin’ with Plant …

• djloo27 said, on December 1, 2017 at 9:09 pm

With ya, Snarkk. I’d put Axl in the mix, too…