Do We Get One of Them?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 5, 2017

Two is a pipe dream. But this should all be getting wrapped up soon. Then it’ll be back to answering *Dave O’Gorman* requests.

If I had the choice of either of them I’d probably choose Ohtani just because he won’t break anything—farm system, bank, etc. The problem with Ohtani is that he thinks he’s Babe Ruth. I am not down with the 2-way game till I see it happen again in my lifetime. MLB baseball is hard. Pick the position you want to play and spend all of your time trying to master it. This “I’m a pitcher and a hitter” thing is a no-go for me as I believe the desire to play both will dull his production on the hill and in the box. So if he’d pick one position and stick with that I would prefer Ohtani over Stanton.

Since he isn’t going to do that, I want Stanton. The farm system already sucks, if we only have to give up Arroyo and we keep the teenager (think about how pathetic it is that we’re like “uh oh, not the teenager!”) then the bare-est bones of the shittiest of systems remains on life support. At least it wouldn’t be completely deceased.

And the payroll? Fuck the payroll. It’s already ballooned let’s balloon it some more. Not our $$$$$.

RPAD Time: 12/5/10

1. gianthead said, on December 5, 2017 at 6:50 am

I have not heard Arroyo in the deal but cant deal Arroyo and the teenager, with Beede, Shaw and Panik. I think the Panik, Beede and Shaw package is more than enough and maybe a little too much if he gets a second year opt-out. Now if they want the teenager and Arroyo for Ozuna…then we are talking.

If we added Ozuna and Ohtani and not get Stanton, I would be thrilled, but think the Cards will have a better package for Ozuna.

• gianthead said, on December 5, 2017 at 6:54 am

Have you all talked about the 2nd overall draft pick? This kid from Clemson who looks like he crushes the ball may have to be the pick. We dont need anymore college pitchers in the system with our top picks in the next couple of years in the amateur. Get as much hitting as possible to prep for a post-Stanton era in 2 or 3 years…and then draft high school pitchers with the lower picks…

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2017 at 7:30 am

Ozuna isn’t going anywhere. Unless they can’t move Stanton and then they’ll strip the team down.

2. Flavor said, on December 5, 2017 at 7:29 am

Panik is no longer in the deal (according to reports). It’s just Arroyo and take on the cash….

• djloo27 said, on December 5, 2017 at 8:25 am

No Beede & Shaw?

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 5, 2017 at 8:57 am

Schulman reporting that Arroyo is not part of the deal. I haven’t seen any skank tweets from Arroyo so he should stay over Beede.

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2017 at 9:58 am

I can’t think of a less informed beat writer. Not saying he’s wrong but I trust the national guys way more than the local scribes.

• xoot said, on December 5, 2017 at 10:03 am

I think Schulman’s correct when he says that the Giants and the fish made a deal last week. Now we’re all Waiting for Giancarlo. Vladimir and Estragon, sitting under a leafless November sapling with a pathetically small hot stove on the ground between them, Waiting for Giancarlo.

• xoot said, on December 5, 2017 at 10:05 am

December sapling. wtf, where did the time go

4. Flavor said, on December 5, 2017 at 10:01 am

5. Flavor said, on December 5, 2017 at 10:25 am

here’s HS admitting he’s gotten shit out of the front office:

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 5, 2017 at 10:44 am

I’m really not too worked up on losing Panik but he’s controllable until ’21 so they should probably keep him. Throw in Beede but that should be the limit if they’re taking on all that cash. Really, the club should be able to dump off Span on them but I don’t have a lot of confidence in Booby. The Giants FO always puts all of their eggs in one basket and then come up empty so I’ll be surprised if this happens. Interesting that Stl has been making lesser moves while Stanton and/or Ohtani are the linchpin for anything to happen. I’m not really sure what to think about Ohtani’s desire to play in the field. If he has a flat fastball and just gets lit up does he go to the outfield permanently? What happens if Bumgarner makes the same ask?

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2017 at 11:42 am

Bum doesn’t really have another position he can realistically justify the same way Ohtani can. I think it would be awesome to see them both in the outfield for a game tho.

• xoot said, on December 5, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Maybe he could learn to play 1B. I’d like to see tv shots of him telling a friendly baserunner just arrived at the bag to fuck off.

7. Macdog said, on December 5, 2017 at 11:58 am

This is from SiriusXM’s Craig Mish today:

SourceS : Full trade offer from SF to Miami for Giancarlo Stanton.

Tyler Beede
    Heliot Ramos (1st noted by @JoeFrisaro )
    Chris Shaw
    Christian Arroyo

Then Schulman said today, “Christian Arroyo is NOT part of #SFGiants proposed deal with Marlins for Stanton.”

FFS, this is getting ridiculous.

• willedav said, on December 5, 2017 at 12:04 pm

mm one too many hitters for my taste.

8. willedav said, on December 5, 2017 at 12:03 pm

thx for the Rpad…Twin always had his favs (Pablo andres A Smith) and don’t you dare go after them.
    How about that ” …3 teams interested in Fred Lewis.” Unreal.

I think it’s great if SF got to keep Panik over Arroyo and didn’t have to pay Gordon.
    And even if it does happen, there has to be more going on.
    Will Mac/Parker have better careers than Fred Lewis?

9. Flavor said, on December 5, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Jesus Christ fuck this. Also, HS wrong again.

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 5, 2017 at 12:56 pm

With all of the confusing and contradictory information out there I can only assume that Sabean is deeply involved. No way Booby could orchestrate this between his naps & bottles.

11. Flavor said, on December 5, 2017 at 1:00 pm

If they give away the only 4 prospects we have AND take on that huge deal….I’ll be pissed. Also, he can opt out in 2020 and if he went to the Dodgers, after we gave away our only 4 good prospects, we’d look like fools.

• Macdog said, on December 5, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Yeah, that proposal really does seem ludicrous.

12. xoot said, on December 5, 2017 at 1:26 pm

I doubt Mish really knows what the Giants and the fish agreed to, but if that’s what it takes than it does. Extreme, but dramatic. If the Giants land Stanton, it’s a new era, comparable to the 92 Bonds signing. They’ll have to make some more big moves, too, however, comparable to the 97 Jeff Kent trade. Shake things up, luxury tax be damned. If the Giants don’t land Stanton, then they’ll take an entirely different path I think. Maybe Babe Ruth-san and some more creative trades under the tax threshold would keep us interested for a couple of years.

13. alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Shit their even bringing Posey in for talks with Ohtani with a boatload of Sushi&Sake!
    Did he take up Japanese during the offseason??

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 5, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Probably just went with this.

• xoot said, on December 5, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I heard Posey and Ohtani have the same agent

• xoot said, on December 5, 2017 at 6:57 pm

or agency–CAA sports or baseball or something like that

14. mrsprtdude said, on December 5, 2017 at 3:26 pm

If they were close and fish said we want Arroyo instead of panic. You say No? I say yes. Arroyo is iffy at best. For every guy who struggles after a short time in the majors, adjusts, and becomes a great hitter there is 100 who hit fair to well, the pitchers adjust, and the young guy sucks forever.

• alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Are he turns into a player the Giants gave up on and has hit 64 Homers and driven in 202 RBI’s and a A/S appearance in Adam Duvall and yeah btw plays a position of need LF…

15. zumiee said, on December 5, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Southern California is on fire right now, and it’s not affecting my emotions as much as when Northern Calif. was on fire. Perhaps sports team loyalties affect us on deeper levels than we realize.

16. Flavor said, on December 5, 2017 at 4:39 pm

begging this guy is included in any deal…..

and his response. Nice to see he’s doing something to prep for the season.

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 5, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Uh oh, Pence is tweeting to try to encourage Stanton to go to SF: “Can you imagine our Powers combined?!?” Considering Pence has lost most of his power and mojo, not sure that’s going to help.

• zumiee said, on December 5, 2017 at 9:27 pm

What are the chances Pence can shock us with a bounceback season? Seems unlikely.

• djloo27 said, on December 5, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Hoping him and Span have good first halves so we can unload them for something in July assuming we’re buried by then…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 5, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Or even not buried by then….

18. zumiee said, on December 5, 2017 at 9:26 pm

The important thing is that there’s a new episode of Loudermilk tonight.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 5, 2017 at 10:05 pm

I haven’t seen that, might have to check it out. I was fighting the flu for the past 5 days, and binge-watching season 8 of Shameless, one of my favs… and also Godless, the Netflix western. I like a good western. Pretty well done.