Here #4Lyfe

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 10, 2017
blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2017 at 9:17 pm (Edit)

How about you Zum? Are you going to be watching games every day next season?

A better question – Flavor, will you continue to write a daily blog if we again march toward 100 defeats (especially, if Booby lacks a plan, besides figuring out how to increase garlic fries and crab sandwich sales)?

______________________

Of course I’m going to watch the games next year. I’ve watched the games every year, why would I stop just because they stink? The sport wouldn’t sustain itself if only fans of winning teams watched the games.

The blog kinda goes hand in hand with us sucking. It’s a bit of a necessity at this point. Honestly, I think the blog is at its best when we are either really good or really bad. “Middling” is not the sweet spot of the blog.

I’m guessing it will be easier for those of you who don’t live in the area to *step away* as fans if we keep spiraling in this descent (although I’m not sure we can lose too many more than 98, this is about as low as it gets). For those of us in the Bay Area, the park is here, the fan base is here, during the Summer the Giants are the only game in town and it’s kinda hard to get away from it, especially if you are a true fan of baseball.

Plus, I’m actually ok with being a fan of a terrible team. Those 3 beauties have insulated me pretty good.

So yes, The Flop will be here, I’ll be here, I will continue to watch the games for the rest of my life. I can’t imagine it any other way.

1. Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 6:29 am

this is exactly what I was saying about LA–their need for him wasn’t great, they are interested in shedding payroll not adding to it.

• djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 6:34 am

I’ll believe that when I hear it from Mish…

• gianthead said, on December 10, 2017 at 7:21 am

So basically everyone was trying to play Jeter for a fool and his old team knew best…then take advantage and go after Ozuna and/or Yelich. Half of Prado’s bad contract is doable to get her done…

2. Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 6:39 am

3. Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 6:42 am

My prediction for you displaced Giants fans for 2018: regardless of the performance of the team you will still follow the games–whether it be by tv, radio or maybe you just go old school and read the box scores in the paper. And while your posts here at The Flop may fall a bit it will still be a reliable landing spot for you.
    My genuine belief is that people only stop posting at the Flap if they’ve been incarcerated or if they die. lqtm. And I’m sticking to that till further notice.

4. djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 6:45 am

I’ve always stuck with my teams no matter how shitty. The Chiefs haven’t been to the SB in 48 years. The Rangers have won 1 Cup in 77 years (53 of them with me). The Knicks last won it all in 1973. And of course, the Giants was a 47 year wait for me. My only rooting issue next season might be staying awake for the west coast night games. I have a strong feeling that the team will at least get out of the gate well. When you read the old threads, you eventually realize that management usually knows more than we do. We didn’t put together the 3 WS teams – they did…

• blade3colorado said, on December 10, 2017 at 7:37 am

Good post, especially the last line. Living in Vietnam, the games are usually on in the morning/early afternoon via Gamecast.and I occasionally catch the last couple of innings if I’m not busy. Frankly, this last season I had zero interest after May. Same with the Flap . . . Not necessarily due to the shitty season, but more because of Linh’s pregnancy, the birth of our daughter, and multiple trips back to California and Colorado. I don’t see this changing too much, since I am still transitioning to Vietnam. Life happens.

5. gianthead said, on December 10, 2017 at 7:18 am

Sorry re-posting due to brilliance😁…

There is no way on an unfrozen earth we ever land a Machado or Harper….they will use us Team Gianfucko did. And Boras has Harper…fuck them both.

Now the post-Gianfucko trade analysis has the Yankees definitely looking to move Clint Frazier with the clear hint of Headley and/or Ellsbury having to go.

Sabes/Evans need to go back and employ their only strategy: desperation!!!

They can afford to take both (half of Ellsbury) and that amounts to about $23.5 mill. Belt and Panik will be about $22 mill. Clean swap. Giants could deal with two more years of Ellsbury at $21 mill while they get rid of three more years of Belt at $17 each. Giants come out ahead.

Yanks could be enamored of Bird but they are not dumping Headley and/or Ellsbury without bringing back equal contracts and presumably they have a hole at 2nd now. Maybe Smardaramjam would be a more likely target and his contract is almost the same as Belt.

I would take Betances if they wont give up Bird and Frazier would look great roaming RF. Still leaves all of our prime prospects available for a Ozuna or Yelich target acquisition (McCutchen as well may be take less to acquire). A McCutchen-Ellsbury-Frazier outfield again is a far more entertaining than what they trotted out there last year. Cutch would put them just slightly in luxury cap territory.

• djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 8:27 am

GH: You must think Frazier is gonna be a major star. I don’t think that deal is very good for us…

6. gianthead said, on December 10, 2017 at 7:21 am

And speaking of Flop…my Everton Toffees stink:😂

7. Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 7:30 am

I don’t believe the Marlins will ditch Ozuna or Yelich. Ozuna isn’t a FA until 2020. Yelich is controlled through 2022. Why would Marlins get rid of those guys? They aren’t trying to get worse, they were just trying to shed that absurd deal the Art Dealer gave to Stanton.
    If either is available they will command far more than we have to offer….

8. Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 9:07 am

the weirdest conspiracy theory out there is that Jeter is trying to help the Yankees. Yeah, he invest 25 million of his own money into another team so he could strip it down and send their best player to NY. I’m assuming Jeter, at what about 2% ownership of Miami? is working in conjunction with the ENTIRE ownership group to try to fix the Marlins, not hand NY another World Series

• wilcojoe said, on December 10, 2017 at 9:09 am

It only makes sense if it’s not his own money. That’s where the conspiracy part comes in.

• Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 9:22 am

but it’s still 25 mil of his own $$$. That’s a big chunk of change. Plus all the time he’s putting into this.

9. Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 9:10 am

10. willedav said, on December 10, 2017 at 9:23 am

yeah no way Machado or Harper come here. Harper is a LH, and uh, has some bad memories of ATT.

Given a couple decent additions, I don’t think SF is last place team. Bum/Cueto won 12 games btw them and that should change for the better by 10 games + as long as they are healthy.
    It’s too bad the kids they planned to plug in all got hurt, but give Slater Shaw Arroyo some run and see what happens. Stratton too.

Rox, who didn’t finish well, lost Chatwood and will lose Holland too. They also face some big salary decisions coming up on Arenado etc. AZ will lose JD who provided tremendous impact in time there and they are still paying Greinke $30mil. LA is LA, win the reg season/Heimlich the playoffs, Opie included. How many of their players sustain what they did last year, including SPs? They’re the favorites every year and what happens?

11. mrsprtdude said, on December 10, 2017 at 9:49 am

Bum Cueto win 25 so plus 13. Every hitter sucked. i assume every hitter will improve a little because the guys who had down years are not old, with the exception of Pence. Arroyo plays all year? They sign any middling guy and we improve our outfield no matter what position it is for. Not saying we will win, but .500 is a lock! Not even spring yet and a little optimism coming out already. Look at me go!!

12. djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 9:56 am

Pence and Span playing for their careers…

• unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 10:00 am

THey are playing out the string . . .

• djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 10:10 am

I’m sure Pence wants to be a dad. Maybe he can extend his career through the diapering stage.
        Old school blizzard game in Buffalo right now…

• willedav said, on December 10, 2017 at 11:33 am

Span hit .272 with 12 bombs (same as Posey as LH) and a .756 OPS (about league average), 47 points higher than Craw and 55 more than Pence. both those guys make at least $5mil more than he does. And everybody hates him.

• djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 11:57 am

I think most of the abuse heaped on Span and Pence last season was directed at their dreadful outfield play…

13. alleykat69 said, on December 10, 2017 at 10:52 am

test

• snarkk said, on December 10, 2017 at 11:19 am

The next few years of Giants fandom…

14. willedav said, on December 10, 2017 at 11:24 am

touchdown 49ers! I can hear Lon Simmons saying that. Alphabet guy is awesome.

15. willedav said, on December 10, 2017 at 11:46 am

yeah Loo cbs halftime shows highlight from Buffalo TD in the snow then goes back to the talking suits in LA where it’s 70 (like here in bay area) and sunny.

16. djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 11:47 am

The Yanks are now untraditionally (for them) top heavy with RH hitters. Panik makes a ton of sense for them for many reasons (lefty 2B from NY – inexpensive for now). Somewhere there’s a deal in there involving some combination of Betances, C. Frazier, Ellsbury, Hicks, Smarj and young ones. I can’t quite piece it together and of course it ain’t happening…

• djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I could see Jarrett Parker turning into Nick Swisher in Yankee Stadium…

• Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 12:37 pm

agreed. But I don’t think the Yankees have that type of vision

17. alleykat69 said, on December 10, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Fuck

18. djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 12:27 pm

I don’t think they’ll give us Frazier and Smardj ain’t going anywhere, either.
    So how about Panik, Parker & Span for Betances, Ellsbury and Hicks.
    They pay a big chunk of Ellsbury’s bucks. Kelby takes over 2nd base.
    A prospect or two goes one way or the other…

• Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 12:37 pm

do they really want to get rid of Betances and Ellsbury that badly?

• djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Ellsbury for sure and I think they lost confidence in Betances who also has hard feelings over contract squabble a year or two ago. Yanks pick up 3 lefty sticks including their new 2B. We can pray Hicks blossoms, Ellsbury rejuventes and Betances bolsters the pen and is good insurance for Melancon’s post-partum forearm…

• alleykat69 said, on December 10, 2017 at 12:57 pm

How about the Giants brainless trust taking the holidays and winter meetings off,it’s what they do best..

• snarkk said, on December 10, 2017 at 12:59 pm

So this is a we’ll give you a box of balls for your box of balls, except the Giants may end up paying more. Giants should keep Panik, and the Yanks can keep their contract albatross that costs more than ours…

• djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Panik is such a perfect fit for them that I think they would make the money part of it work for the Giants…

19. alleykat69 said, on December 10, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Oh cancel that Fuck I’m back on line Captain guess I just needed 30 minutes to start the warp drive..

20. alleykat69 said, on December 10, 2017 at 1:11 pm

When your best sells pitch for Stanton is showing Pence in a parking lot with a incomplete weight set with no bar and he’s going to say to a true slugger like Stanton:”What a tandem duo of power hitting we will make at ATT “ Lol ..The Giants are so pathetic in negotiations why do they even try using shit like Pence&Posey (hey I’m takin up Japanese just for you Ohtani if it will get you here)Just for fan interest?Flap knows nothing ever gets done with their clueless approach..

• snarkk said, on December 10, 2017 at 1:20 pm

More important, Kat, how’d negotiations go with those 3 babes the other night?…

• zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 1:55 pm

• alleykat69 said, on December 10, 2017 at 2:20 pm

It went like this Snarkk🤪👍😍😜🤩🍸🍷❤️

21. zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Big news story. Matt Moore wants Lincecum’s ol’ #55. Stay tuned!

• snarkk said, on December 10, 2017 at 2:23 pm

That would be a total horseshit move by Moore.
      I don’t care what his number was before…

• alleykat69 said, on December 10, 2017 at 2:25 pm

He’s got to be kidding right??
      Moore couldn’t hold Timmeh’s Bong’s without dropping them!! #55 stays with Lincecum until a real quality pitcher comes around..

22. djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 2:57 pm

And now Gorkys wants #24…

23. snarkk said, on December 10, 2017 at 2:59 pm

If Moore claims #55 and they let him take it, I’ll be rooting for him to have his clock cleaned every start and he’s DFA’d by mid June.
    Seriously…

24. Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 3:12 pm

WRF is wrong with Bills fans, this is crazy

• zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 3:20 pm

I sort of wonder how Buffalo got an NFL team in the first place.

• wilcojoe said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:20 pm

That reminds me of the picture of the old lady at the nursing home, knitting a blanket while water was above her waist during Hurricane Harvey.

25. zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Tone-deaf move by Moore and the Giants.
    So Cepeda’s number is retired, but not Lincecum’s. I don’t care if Cepeda is in the Hall of Fame. Lincecum’s legacy with the Giants is far more huge.
    There’s no reason that number retirement has to be tied to the Hall of Fame. That’s totally arbitrary. #25 should be retired. And maybe Cain’s 18, too.
    There’s no danger of running out of numbers. The Giants don’t have very many numbers retired for a team that’s been around 134 years.

26. zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 3:49 pm

In fact, looking at Cepeda’s career numbers, how did he make the Hall of Fame?
    A first baseman with a career batting average of .295 and 379 HRs. Nice career, but nothing that knocks your socks off.

• zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 3:51 pm

And only half of his career with the Giants. Yeah, let’s retire his Giants number and build a statue of him. And name ballpark food after him.

• djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 3:56 pm

I loved Cepeda but he doesn’t belong in the hall…

27. zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Looks like Morrow is signing with the Cubs. That makes the Dodgers, for the moment, a little worse than last season. Morrow had a career season and wants to turn it into a big payday. That’s understandable.

28. djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:16 pm

From what I’ve read Moore already has been given #55.
    Done deal…

• Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Did he ask for it? Does he even know whose it is? This is very bizarre.

29. zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Somebody named Chuck Johnson made his HoF ballot public. Voted for Bonds, not for Thome. Interesting.

• zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Voted for Clemens and Sosa, too.

• unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:30 pm

As in the owners’ son?

30. unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:29 pm

For a team in love with its history like the Giants are, that is a righteously bogus move by a) Moore to even ask for it and b) for the team to give it to him.

31. unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:32 pm

The Rams Eagles game is insane. Wentz is out for the game if not the season but they are down 1 o the rams 25

32. Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:34 pm

this is all bullshit, he never asked for it, must just be some internet rumor.

• zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Haft reported it. He’s usually reliable, but he may have gotten faked out.

• unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Faked out by his twitter handle?

• zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Admittedly, I don’t totally know how Twitter works.

• unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I don’t either. Like I’ve said I only use twitter to look at Super 70s sports. And now History in pics.

33. Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Tough time to be a Philly fan. Wentz goes down with a serious injury and 10 minutes later Embiid is scratched from tonight’s game with *back tightness*.

34. unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:38 pm

What’s crazy is the Rams are in 1st place and they barely half fill the stadium. And it sounds like there are more Philly fans than Ram fans. Neither LA team s going to draw for shit.

35. unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Goodell should be shot for allowing these moves. Well, I get the Rams move. But the Chargers? No. That’s a money grab by the owner. I think Vegas is going to be a shit show as well.

• Lurker John said, on December 10, 2017 at 7:52 pm

I agree about the Chargers and Oakland is getting screwed as far as I’m concerned.

36. pawliekokonuts said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Flap [not Flop] forever!

• zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:48 pm

37. unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Hah! The fricking Niners are looking better than the Raiders right now. Derek is starting to look like his brother out there. Oakland has their destiny in their hands after blowing the easy games in their schedrule and lay this turd in KC?

38. zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Morris and Trammel to the HoF.

39. zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Paul Simon was in a 12 year relationship with Carrie Fisher back in the ’70s and ’80s. Who knew?

40. Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 5:15 pm

• zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 6:10 pm

And America recoiled and elected Nixon.

• Lurker John said, on December 10, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Love that pic.

• unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Zep was nothing in ’68.

41. Macdog said, on December 10, 2017 at 6:16 pm

So this was why Haft reported on Moore’s number change?

“Left-hander Matt Moore has inherited the (Lincecum’s) number. It’s listed alongside his name in the Giants roster that appears in MLB’s guide to the Winter Meetings, which start Monday in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.”

That’s it? Sounds like it could have been a typo.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 10, 2017 at 6:26 pm

the importance of an editor

42. Flavor said, on December 10, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Angry Tiger fan hitting a new low tonight with a gofundme page to get him to Cleveland to attend some parade they’re going to have if the Browns lose 16 this year.

• unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 8:58 pm

He raised $10.00! He gets a 6 pack and a bag of chips.

• djloo27 said, on December 10, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Or what I refer to as “breakfast”…

43. Macdog said, on December 10, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Hey Flav, some Stanford news: Men’s soccer team beat Indiana today, 1-0 in 2 OT, to win the NCAA title and making it a sweep for Cardinal soccer after women’s team won NCAA title last week.

• zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 7:49 pm

1-0 in 2 OTs.
      Soccer needs a juiced ball!

• Macdog said, on December 10, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Only took 102 minutes!

• zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Good pace of play. 🙂

44. Lurker John said, on December 10, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Glad to hear The Flap will remain active regardless of the state of the Giants, not that I ever thought it wouldn’t. Me? I’ve been watching for close to 50 years, so I’ll continue to follow the club, as always. Even more so these days because I can watch every game if I choose.

45. alleykat69 said, on December 10, 2017 at 8:25 pm

I’ll chip into go fund me for Matt Moore to go away…

46. zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 8:36 pm

More trade rumors….

• zumiee said, on December 10, 2017 at 8:48 pm

How relatively quickly things can change for athletes.

47. unca_chuck said, on December 10, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Another great game tonight. This Sunday restored my faith a bit in the NFL. A ton of great games today..

• Macdog said, on December 10, 2017 at 8:59 pm

This is like one of those no-defense college games.

48. Flavor said, on December 11, 2017 at 4:49 am