Mid December Blues

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 18, 2017

With the Giants plan of “Do Nothing” in full swing, there isn’t much baseball related stuff to dive into.

Derek Carr is catching too much shit on the internet and local radio for trying to win the game. Dude laid himself out, stretched as far as he could, he just couldn’t get there. It was an athletic, competitive effort that just didn’t work out.

Here’s my question about paper gate: It looked on tv like the ball was short but maybe that was just the angle from the camera. The ref pulls out an index card, but he folds it first. What is the point of folding it except to make it more likely that it touches the football? To me that was the weirdest part of that whole thing. Why fold the index card?

Kobe Bryant is getting honored tonight and I couldn’t care less. The ultimate diva who’s numbers were skewed by an absurd amount of jacked up shots, he ultimately destroyed his team with his max deal at the end of his career, he got off the hook for rape and made it all good by just changing his number….there is nothing to like about this scumbag…The Warriors should stay in the locker room to protest this numbskull and I hope they beat the Lakers by 50.

1. Flavor said, on December 18, 2017 at 6:43 am

Happy birthday, Kokonuts!

2. djloo27 said, on December 18, 2017 at 6:58 am

Love the Kobe rant, Flavor!
    And HB to PK.
    Mine was yesterday. BFD.

• blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:07 am

Happy birthday Loo and Paul . . . I hope both of you were/are able to enjoy your special day with family and friends.

• djloo27 said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:16 am

Thanks, Blade. Good to have you around again. Ready for baby’s first Christmas?

• blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:28 am

Bittersweet Loo. Linh was turned down (again) for a tourist Visa to the USA, where we were hoping to have her and the baby meet my Mom and stepdad, along with extended family (they had their big Christmas party this last weekend). To make a long story short, the government fears Linh will stay in the USA and because our baby has USA citizenship, they would be virtually powerless to remove Linh (separate her from our baby). The bitter irony is that Linh loves her country and has zero desire to live in the USA. Plan B is now going through the long process of her obtaining a green card Visa. All bullshit, but I sort of anticipated this happening and gave my parents $10k during the summer to visit us. They’ll be here on January 30th, along with an aunt.

• willedav said, on December 18, 2017 at 8:17 am

better than the alternative, us celebrating your memorial.
      Good weekend to be Chiefs fan again for you and SD.
      Rangers beat Bruins the other night, always a good thing.
      Hang in there man.

• Lurker John said, on December 18, 2017 at 9:48 am

HBD you old fart.

• Lurker John said, on December 18, 2017 at 9:49 am

Both of you all.

3. pawliekokonuts said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:26 am

Hey, thanks, bruthas! How sweet to see this. HBD to Loo and ABW to Blade.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:27 am

*all best wishes to Blade, ledgerescuer [in joke]

• blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:31 am

Works both ways . . . If I was remiss in thanking you, I apologise (and am thanking you as well).

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:35 am

who knows; maybe you saved my life, Steve; indebted, compadre

• blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:41 am

4. pawliekokonuts said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:29 am

Reliving my Fillmore East daze by listening to Bless Its Pointed Little Head. Jefferson Airplane. And Grace Slick was singing ‘don’t you want somebody to love?” to ME in the third row!!!

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:47 am

Happy b-day, Pawlie. And Loo. Festive time of year. I recently watched video of the Airplane playing at Woodstock. White Rabbit just radiates in what I think is a sunrise performance, and Grace is stunning. High as a kite, and stunning. One of the original Earth Mothers back in the sixties….

• willedav said, on December 18, 2017 at 8:19 am

ha very cool Pawlie. I loved that early stuff, like “Today” the slow song with the neat guitar part.
      Enjoy!

5. pawliekokonuts said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:57 am

being 69, I get a full year of dirty jokes!

6. willedav said, on December 18, 2017 at 8:28 am

Like Kobe or not he is one of Lakers best players ever which is saying something given their history. Stuck around too long sure and the personal stuff, as is coming out a lot nowadays, definitely swept under rug.

I remember his Dad jellybean Joe out of Philly and St. Joe’s, who was mostly out of control sub with brief NBA career. iirc Kobe grew up in Italy for a while and then came right out of HS to the NBA.

Stuff from Raider game only happens to them. Even refs can’t explain it, something that happens awful lot in NFL. Rule book just too byzantine and complicated. If you outlawed punts/KOs, penalties would go down 50%.

• unca_chuck said, on December 18, 2017 at 9:35 am

What pisses me off no end is the nature of these calls. You touch the QB’s helmet with your little finger and it’s a 15 yard penalty. You head-hunt a guy over the middle and cripple him for life and it’s a 15 yard penalty.

2 plays in the Niner game were silly calls that very well could have changed the game. The OPI call on Goodwin when he blocked 1/2 a yard too far downfield, and an illegal use of hands call on inadvertent touch of the WRs facemask. Neither incident had anything to do with the plays in question. The first one nullified a touchdown and the 2nd one gave Tenn a first down on 3rd and long. I’d say about 60% of all he NFL games played now are decided by the refs.

7. unca_chuck said, on December 18, 2017 at 8:42 am

The ref smirking and laughing after the index card trick was weird at best.

As far as Carr goes, he HAS to know the deal there. Better to go out of bounds and take the FG rather than what happened. Which was the worst case scenario. That play knocked them out of the playoffs. Too much at stake to fumble away.

Funny thing is, as of right now, I think the 49ers are in better shape than the Raiders. The Raiders can’t play defense to save their lives, and their high-powered offense is stuck in 2nd gear. They spent a ton of money on that offense and it is lagging badly.

The Niners on the other hand have a team ravaged by injuries, and using a QB who only knows about half the playbook, but they are rolling. Imagine what they could do with an o line, a pass rush, and a #1 WR.

• Lurker John said, on December 18, 2017 at 9:52 am

That was my point, Chuck. A chip shot FG ties it, and he fumbles it out of the end zone. I don’t really think he’s an idiot, but that was an idiotic play.

8. Macdog said, on December 18, 2017 at 9:45 am

Happy birthday Pawlie and (belated) Loo! Always great whenever I get a chance to meet up with you guys. Here ya go PK:

9. djloo27 said, on December 18, 2017 at 9:58 am

Thanks, fellas. Not as much fun as 1962 when I got Mr. Machine…

• Lurker John said, on December 18, 2017 at 10:30 am

Yeah, how could you ever top that?

10. unca_chuck said, on December 18, 2017 at 10:03 am

Happy birthday DJ and Pawlie!

• djloo27 said, on December 18, 2017 at 3:51 pm

LOZZLES!

11. Macdog said, on December 18, 2017 at 10:35 am

Kobe should have been taken by the Nets in the ’96 draft. Whether he would have reported to the Nets or not is anyone’s guess, but he called their bluff and Calipari folded like his undefeated team in the 2015 Final Four.

• Flavor said, on December 18, 2017 at 11:25 am

Dubs took Todd Fuller instead of Kobe. That’s maybe where some of my vitriol for him is coming from

• xoot said, on December 18, 2017 at 11:56 am

ouch

12. snarkk said, on December 18, 2017 at 11:33 am

Happy Bday to whoever is having or did have one !…

13. snarkk said, on December 18, 2017 at 11:42 am

I’m heading off to Europe on Friday night for a two week holiday trip. Christmas in Salzburg, New Years in Vienna, and then a few days in Munich and surrounds. Hopefully SF will have a retooled roster when I get back from my gluhwein/lebkuchen/schnitzel/beer tour. Given present politics here, I may request asylum in Germany for the entire snarkk traveling klan, I can trace my ancestry there back to at least 1603. Earlier than that, who cares, we’re all related back then…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 18, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Have a currywurst for me, snarkk!

• Flavor said, on December 18, 2017 at 4:47 pm

have fun Snarkk. Sounds like a blast!

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 18, 2017 at 12:03 pm

It’s telling that the only real positive thing anyone says about Kobe is that he was soooo competitive which is just another way of saying he’s an a-hole. I’ve always thought Kobe was a chump with no original thoughts of his own who spent so much of his life trying to be like Mike he never developed his own personality. Every interview or introspective is Kobe regurgitating something MJ said.

Looks like the Giants are in on Longoria. This is exactly the kind of deal they shouldn’t do so look for Booby to get er done.

15. xoot said, on December 18, 2017 at 12:04 pm

if anyone’s interested, this WA derailment is outrageous. Brand new track, brand new train equipment, inaugural run with crowded cars and much fanfare at the a.m. departure. Amazing. Every time I saw a derailment that started, like this one, in the middle of a train, the problem was the track. (e.g., fairly high-speed derailment of a freight train just south of San Jose in the early 80s–one grounded flat car sent a loaded container somersaulting a hundred yards, over a sound wall, where it demolished every (empty) bedroom of a one-story house. The tracks had spread as the train rounded a mild bend.) Because the RRs can easily x ray tracks on a regular basis to ensure integrity and otherwise test the gauge etc. such errors are inexcusably negligent. Manslaughter, I’d say.

16. unca_chuck said, on December 18, 2017 at 12:49 pm

I heard that it was a brand-new track. That is horrible.

17. xoot said, on December 18, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Now that I’m seeing more chopper pics, it appears that the derailment may not have started in the middle of the train. The engine that was left on the track may have been trailing, like a caboose. I think everything was brand new and recently tested, track and train.

• xoot said, on December 18, 2017 at 4:52 pm

So a trailing engine stayed on the tracks, a cnn report says. Because the head end jumped the tracks, the potential number of causes increases.

18. xoot said, on December 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm

I knew Longoria would crop up this month. See brisbee today

• unca_chuck said, on December 18, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Right. Let’s get him 5 years ago.

19. zumiee said, on December 18, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Sarah Palin’s oldest son, Track (yes, that’s really his name) is in jail again. This time for assaulting his father. I guess if I was a better person I wouldn’t find that funny.

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Also charged with unlawfully entering his parents’ home. i.e. he broke into his parents’ house.

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2017 at 4:47 pm

He stood on a rooftop and called the police “peasants.”

• xoot said, on December 18, 2017 at 4:50 pm

I spent some time working construction in Wasilla. That behavior doesn’t sound too extreme for that place, this time of year.

20. gianthead said, on December 18, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Has there been no movement on any Giant front today???

• gianthead said, on December 18, 2017 at 4:52 pm

And I dont count fake Longoria stories…32 years old with 5 years left??? F that….

• xoot said, on December 18, 2017 at 4:54 pm

fake news? time for a vacation?

• xoot said, on December 18, 2017 at 4:53 pm

multiple reports, probably one report repeated several times, that the Giants are interested in trading for Longoria

• gianthead said, on December 18, 2017 at 5:44 pm

All mirrors my Evans amd mgmt…i guarantee they have no intentiom of trading for Longoria…part of the same “Hey Giant fans, look at this bright shinny object.” Next week will be Todd Frazier. If he goes for 4 years and $50, Id rather have that than Longoria…

• xoot said, on December 18, 2017 at 5:56 pm

I don’t like the idea of Longoria myself, but as I said the other day–I have this uneasy feeling. Best thing I can find is his HR spray chart that shows almost every bomb going deep to LF-LCF.

21. djloo27 said, on December 18, 2017 at 5:13 pm

I shoulda been named “Track”…

22. blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Evan Longoria? If he can still field like this, sign him up.

• Flavor said, on December 18, 2017 at 5:42 pm

too bad it’s fake

• blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Shhh . . . GH doesn’t know that.

23. Flavor said, on December 18, 2017 at 5:53 pm

this is fucking ridiculous. They should be boycotting this sham of a night not paying extra to get in

24. Flavor said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:19 pm

25. Flavor said, on December 18, 2017 at 7:27 pm

26. snarkk said, on December 18, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Dirt, the older Snarkette has been in Berlin the past few days, that’s the home of the curry wurst, right? Can you actually get them much elsewhere in Deutschland ?

• snarkk said, on December 18, 2017 at 8:26 pm

I spent most of my time years ago in Munich and environs, I don’t remember much currywurst action back then. My favorite was the thin Nuremburger brats. Awesome. There is a very good version of those made by Dittmers German deli near the intersection of San Antonio and the El Camino in Los Altos…

27. willedav said, on December 18, 2017 at 9:20 pm

If Durant doesn’t get 40 I don’t think Warriors win tonite. Gad they look awful in 3Q. McCaw, when it isn’t garbage time, just doesn’t do anything with his minutes–no shots/points nothing. Looney’s O game rivals that of Adonal Foyle. On a night when Kerr needs points and productive minutes, they’re useless.

28. unca_chuck said, on December 18, 2017 at 10:12 pm

KD and Thompson are 11-42. The rest of the team is 22-40.

29. unca_chuck said, on December 18, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Crazy finish. Dubs win! West with the block!

• willedav said, on December 18, 2017 at 10:31 pm

wild. Wicked cross over into pull up J game winner by Durant. Walton has some pieces to work with. Not sure how they all fit together, but lot of young athletic talented guys.
      Mc Caw, who started, 2 points in 20 minutes. I don’t get it…what are you doing out there?

30. snarkk said, on December 19, 2017 at 12:25 am

Heard on news that the WA train wreck — train was going 80 mph in a 30 mph zone…

• unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2017 at 7:46 am

Wow. That’s fucked up. Day one they screw up that bad.