Friday

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 19, 2018

Goddamn it’s cold this morning. It’s like 45 what the hell is this? lqtm. I think I just heard our east coast contingent curse my name….

We acquired Engelb Vielba from the Pirates. I’m not sure what that is.

P and C’s report on Feb 13th? Yikes this is happening quickly. Aren’t there a lot of guys still unsigned? The Giants are going to sign Jerrod Dyson to play center field, aren’t they.

1. willedav said, on January 19, 2018 at 7:16 am

Oh I was gonna ask Wilco about this…my company has 3 stores in greater Houston area, and they’ve been shut down last couple days. According to weather stats in Chron it was 38 there yesterday with low of 21. Yeow!

And just as cold in Charlotte. Haven’t heard from him in while but hope Bozo clan is OK.

2. willedav said, on January 19, 2018 at 7:47 am

Dyson at best is platoon 4th OF dumped by KC and M’s because he can’t hit. As a LH vs. LHP last year he hit .214 for Seattle with 0 XBHs. They only started him in 15 games vs. LHP (390 ABs all season), using him mostly vs. RHP where he put up .730 OPS. In 3 separate months his BA did not exceed .229.

In 8 yr career (he’s not a kid anymore either), only once did he get OPS over .700. He’s D Lew all over again. Dyson and Gorks for CF? that sucks. Evans has had at least 6 months since he knew CF was a big question mark If this is his answer, he’s FOS.

• Lurker John said, on January 19, 2018 at 10:06 am

Hey, dlew was a stud. ’93 G’ints forever.

3. James said, on January 19, 2018 at 9:34 am

Maybe it’ll be a Shinjo kinda year . . . .

4. zumiee said, on January 19, 2018 at 9:52 am

We hope that centerfield won’t be the bottomless pit that leftfield was last season.
    Actually, we also hope that leftfield won’t be a bottomless pit again.

5. Lurker John said, on January 19, 2018 at 10:04 am

Dyson is a good defensive outfielder. We could do worse. Anybody but Span, to whom I wish nothing but the best moving forward. I just don’t want him wearing a Giants uni.

6. gianthead said, on January 19, 2018 at 10:23 am

Give me some Engelb Vielba…gots to have me some Engelb Vielba…

It is toasty here today…50 and sunny!!! I could sun bathe…

7. gianthead said, on January 19, 2018 at 10:42 am

Willedav…I posted the other day that John Jay actually had a good year last year. Just not a lot of stolen bases. He would probably sign for a couple of million…

8. alleykat69 said, on January 19, 2018 at 11:27 am

Off subject..I Applaud Gymnast Ally Raspmein(sp?) for testifying against that sick fuck training doctor Larry Nassar while the whole Olympic committee tried to cover his sexual abuse allegations.Her speech was epic !
    This investigation will hopefully clean up the sport in the future..

• djloo27 said, on January 19, 2018 at 12:42 pm

Absolutely, Kat. That is real courage…

9. Stan Shell said, on January 19, 2018 at 11:46 am

ENGELB VIELBA

It has already been a whirlwind of transactional activity for Vielma for the last five months, as the infielder has gone from the Twins to the Giants to the Phillies and then to the Pirates on a series of waiver claims. Vielma has only a .256/.316/.302 slash line over 2171 minor league plate appearances (all in Minnesota’s farm system), as he has been more known for his slick glove. Vielma has spent the bulk of his career as a shortstop, though he has also seen significant time at second and third base.

This stimulating bit of information is provided for a Friday “uplift” compliments of OSF.

Question: Can anyone comprehend why the Giants did this?

• xoot said, on January 19, 2018 at 12:27 pm

the FO dearly misses Adrianza and wants someone at least as useless, or, even more so. wtf knows.

10. unca_chuck said, on January 19, 2018 at 2:35 pm

His name is jumbled for Bengel Viable?

11. unca_chuck said, on January 19, 2018 at 2:37 pm

All we need is Sophrosyne to get the whole gang back together.

• xoot said, on January 19, 2018 at 2:45 pm

I’m sure she’s too busy with graduate studies at the sorbonne to chat about how terrible it is to have won only three championships

• zumiee said, on January 19, 2018 at 3:04 pm

lulz!

12. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on January 19, 2018 at 2:43 pm

Jerrod Dyson as a replacement for Gorkys Hernandez/Gregor Blanco. They still need their Angel Pagan though. Maybe Duggar or Slater?
    I like his assist total, very Rickey Henderson like. Done with his legs more than his arm, cutting balls off in the gap. Would be a good AT&T outfielder.

13. zumiee said, on January 19, 2018 at 3:29 pm

The 4 and 5 spots in the rotation…..

“Evans suggested the Giants are not looking to build depth for their starting rotation on the free agent market. With a top three of Madison Bumgarner, Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija returning to the club in 2018, Evans believes Chris Stratton and Ty Blach will enter Spring Training with a leg up on internal competition for the two slots in the rotation that remain unsettled.
    Prospects Tyler Beede and Andrew Suarez pitched with AAA Sacramento last season, and both players will enter Spring Training with an opportunity to steal a job away from Stratton and Blach.”

14. zumiee said, on January 19, 2018 at 5:04 pm

Sabean today, on KNBR, basically said that the Giants are a “no” on Lorenzo Cain.

• zumiee said, on January 19, 2018 at 5:08 pm

And he basically said the Giants are going to stay under the luxury tax level.They were never going to go over it, regardless of whatever Evans said. I guess Sabean picked today to reel in any hope of that.

15. zumiee said, on January 19, 2018 at 5:09 pm

The 2018 Giants: the quest for .500.

16. zumiee said, on January 19, 2018 at 5:15 pm

81 wins would move Bochy past several managers on the all-time regular season number-of-wins list. Actually 53 wins moves him up several spots.
    Bochy’s winning percentage in the regular season currently rounds out to .500:

Rank Name Wins Losses Pct.
    1 Connie Mack 3,731 3,948 .486
    11 Casey Stengel 1,905 1,842 .508
    12 Gene Mauch 1,902 2,037 .483
    13 Bill McKechnie 1,896 1,723 .524
    14 Dusty Baker 1,863 1,636 .532
    15 Bruce Bochy 1,853 1,855 .500

• zumiee said, on January 19, 2018 at 5:17 pm

The 3 World Series championships in 4 appearances plus the number of regular season wins guarantees him the Hall of Fame.

17. alleykat69 said, on January 19, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Still hoping the Giants make a play for Milwaukee’s CF Keon Broxton Who the Brewers are considering trading.Slide in under their luxury tax,has a controllable contract.Has some contact issues 175 K’s in 414 plate appearances, but still was a 20/20 man HR’s/Steals and can play a bad ass centerfield, perfect fit between PenceLF&Cutch RF.
    Brewers might take a pitching prospect(ranked7th) like Garett Williams and throwin a Parker are Williamson for dessert..

18. djloo27 said, on January 19, 2018 at 7:24 pm

I’ve heard the word “narrative” over a dozen times today.
    Why is this allowed?

• xoot said, on January 19, 2018 at 7:56 pm

It sounds innalectual. It’s academic jargon that the average tv or radio asshole can parrot because it’s also a fairly common word. Both “narrative” and “deconstruction” (one of Steve Bannon’s favorite misused words last year) come out of 1980s left-wing post-structuralist critical theory, etc. etc. Don’t ask me how I know this shit.

• djloo27 said, on January 19, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Thanks, Xoot. I was googling around and people have been griping about this one for years.
        I guess it had to spill over to sports talk for me to become aware of it…

• James said, on January 19, 2018 at 9:20 pm

At least it’s better than “discourse.” You can also readily modify it with “counter” and “false,” unlike plain, humble ol’ story.

• xoot said, on January 19, 2018 at 9:34 pm

I don’t think discourse shows up much in regular discourse. When Foucault taught at Berkeley in the early 80s people say he showed up to lecture with the marks of South of Market bondage still visible on his forehead. He died of AIDs soon thereafter. That tale has always tainted my opinion of the word discourse.

• James said, on January 19, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Yes, the non-academic discursive field is, thankfully, generally free of it. There were also stories that he knowingly infected others … tall tales, very likely.

• xoot said, on January 19, 2018 at 11:02 pm

I’ve always thought that he knew something cataclysmic was happening and that he was ecstatic to be part of it. The risk of death became part of the S/M excitement for him, perhaps. But in 1983, his last year at Berkeley I think, nobody really understood the infection. I recall the debates then about shutting down the SF bathhouses, etc. In any event, his views on discourse and power seem slight to me, compared to some others.

19. alleykat69 said, on January 19, 2018 at 9:22 pm

How many times do I have to hear “Unaswered Points”? In football &basketball? Isn’t it time for the other team to answer back?

• unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2018 at 2:35 pm

It makes sense tho. Scoring the basketball/football? Well duh. What else would you be scoring?

20. xoot said, on January 19, 2018 at 9:51 pm

“the conversation” — how about that one?

21. pawliekokonuts said, on January 19, 2018 at 9:59 pm

“Story” is au courant. I used it with a potential client this week. WTF. I was in Ithaca, Berkely East.