NFL Again

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 20, 2018

Staying with the NFL and riding the high of my wave of winners from last weekend, let’s take a look at the two games this weekend.

These games are fascinating. Three bad quarterbacks and possibly a one handed one. The wrong handed one. You also have 4 good/great defenses. And literally only one stud rb– who might still be hurt.

Granted, looking at the games from a DFS perspective is different that predicting who’s going to win and lose. I’ve only been able to come up with one decent angle and that’s taking Philly on the $$$ line (+135). They are at home (huge) and they are facing a team coming off an epic emotional win. Those teams usually have a big let down the following week. So I’m taking Philly on the $$$ line.

And I’m also taking Jax and the points just because NE was the only game I lost last week and that pisses me off and I don’t like Brady and 7.5 looks pretty good to me.

Again, not betting the games, just playing DFS, but if I WERE laying my own cash that would be the way I’d go.

You?

1. unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2018 at 9:36 am

Minn has the better defense. Bet against NE? Nope.

Crashed and burned last week, but I shoulda been 2-2. This looks to be the shittiest playoffs in recent memory.

Say hello to 1000 5 yard swing passes.

2. alleykat69 said, on January 20, 2018 at 10:07 am

Minn with a chance to host a 1st time SB game is enough motivation to get this win.Ill take Keenum over Foles any day too.Like the under in this one..
    Pats..Are we even discussing this one?
    At home ,TomBrady (5rings)Belichick (best coach ever) 8 are 9 straight AFC championship games (unbelievable that will never happen again) just can’t see this once Bortles finally comes back to the reality that he SUCKS and his great Defense has carried him along with Fournette..Good season Jax but it ends in NE..

3. djloo27 said, on January 20, 2018 at 11:30 am

If Vikes make it, the secondary market will be soaring…

• Macdog said, on January 20, 2018 at 11:37 am

The Twin Cities hotel business not so much.

4. Stan Shell said, on January 20, 2018 at 12:41 pm

Chuck, did you really compare me to Sophrosyne? Even TF didn’t do that!!!

5. Stan Shell said, on January 20, 2018 at 12:50 pm

I just saw something that blew me away. I had to detour because of “Women’s” March, A.K.A. the anti-Trump march. As I drove on I realized that it went on for blocks and blocks. This is a small town in blue Oregon of 10,000 population on a cool rainy day. There had to be close to 1,000 people! If that enthusiasm continues until November the “blue wave” will be more like a convulsion as they throw out the Trumpists.
    OSF

6. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on January 20, 2018 at 1:06 pm

I only bet on sports if I’m in Nevada or at a race track. It just now occurred to me, if you’re backing the underdog, shouldn’t you always bet the money line? They aren’t playing to cover the spread.
    I’d bet two units on the Eagles, one on the Jaguars.
    OTOH, if you’re a Pats fan, bet the spread, Belichick takes care of his own.
    I heard a funny bad beat story on KNBR yesterday. The Patriots took advantage of some terrible calls to score a last second TD, putting them ahead by 4. In protest, the Bills didn’t contest the extra point, so Belichick had the kicker run it in for 2. The spread was 5 1/2…BAM! Thank you for playing!

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on January 21, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Future me to self: this is why you take the points. Not having to sweat the outcome is worth the money you’re giving up.

7. zumiee said, on January 20, 2018 at 3:03 pm

The Thunder completely dismantled the Cavs.

8. snarkk said, on January 20, 2018 at 3:21 pm

I don’t give a rat’s ass about these NFL playoffs.
    NE should blow through the usual stiffs in the AFC it faces at home playoff games, after winning for the umpteenth a permanently moribund AFC East.
    Go Dubs.
    And, bring on Spring Training, ASAP…

• zumiee said, on January 20, 2018 at 3:34 pm

I’ve seen some media pundits calling Philly/Minny the worst NFC championship match-up in history, and the resulting Super Bowl to be arguably the worst match-up ever, especially if the Jags somehow make it.
      The NFL was the pits this season.

• alleykat69 said, on January 20, 2018 at 3:38 pm

So when are a catchers&legitimate Centerfielders suppose to report again??

• zumiee said, on January 20, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Pitchers and catchers on Feb. 14, I think.

• snarkk said, on January 20, 2018 at 5:02 pm

From the NFC champ game in 1982 of the Catch at the Stick, through almost the ’90s, the NFC was the home of the toughest teams on the block. If you got to the NFC title game, it was basically the super bowl, with dominant teams constantly there to block your path to the Big Game. In every NFC title game from then thru the 1998 game when GBay beat the Niners, at least one of these teams had to be beat.

Niners; Cowboys; Skins; Giants; Packers.

I would take any of these teams against New England during its run the last 15+ years — coming from a totally dogcrap division for essentially all that time that has nearly guaranteed it a division win, and annual home field advantage in the AFC playoffs. NE has lost only one of 8 all time AFC title games at home, it has gone .500 in the 6 it has played on the road.

If Brady and the Hoodie can’t beat the Jags at home, that will be a joke…

9. Flavor said, on January 20, 2018 at 3:50 pm

• snarkk said, on January 20, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Looks like the EMT driver just got out of a leather bar.
      Why is the rescuer going over to Mr. Sleeping Bag in the cherry picker — Is the grass contaminated with radiation, dog doo, or something?
      And since the tent is up, why isn’t Mr. Sleeping Bag inside it?
      Very mystifying scenarios here…

10. willedav said, on January 20, 2018 at 4:47 pm

STL traded Grichuk to Toronto for a pen guy and a prospect; Evans likely could have gotten him for Gearrin plus. He’d be OK for SF, strike out a lot and hit 20 bombs in CF. Dyson and Gorks combined for 3 HRs last year, all by Dyson. As a LH Dyson probably can’t do any better playing home games at ATT. Arrghh

Speaking of Gearrin, read that MLB wants to impose 20 second limit btw pitches. Gad almost every time I saw Gearrin it took him at least that long to deliver a pitch from time he got the ball back in his glove from C.

• zumiee said, on January 20, 2018 at 4:59 pm

Gearrin goes through a whole ritual before he even looks in for the sign. It’s ridiculous. It’s Exhibit A of a bad thing that happened to baseball over the years; so many players developing long rituals between pitches and between swings.

• snarkk said, on January 20, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Giants desperately need more HR pop, even with adding Cutch and Longo. A CF with Gorkys playing any significant time out there isn’t going to get it done. They have to get somebody, and let Slater/Duggar/Gorkys fight for the OFer scraps…

11. djloo27 said, on January 20, 2018 at 5:21 pm
  12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 20, 2018 at 9:07 pm

• djloo27 said, on January 20, 2018 at 9:36 pm

I wonder why they build the second level of a bridge under the original one. The Verrazano Bridge was done this way as well. Seems like it would be easier to build it on top of it.

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on January 20, 2018 at 10:21 pm

“A second, lower deck, which had been anticipated in Ammann’s original plans, was approved by Lt. Col. Joseph R. McCammon, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and opened to the public on August 29, 1962. The lower level, nicknamed “Martha” after George’s wife Martha”

13. Flavor said, on January 21, 2018 at 6:28 am

is this a normal practice?

14. alleykat69 said, on January 21, 2018 at 9:37 am

New version of the Crisco Butt Slide?

15. willedav said, on January 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Guy came into the store where I work with a Santana long sleeve. Pic on the front is very old maybe from Black Magic Woman days.
    imo no one can top FMac version, which I listened to live version of this morning. Went and bought 3 disc package of Peter Green Danny Kirwan Boston 1970, last one before Green unfortunately left band. Anyone have the stuff they recorded when they visited Chess records?

16. willedav said, on January 21, 2018 at 10:14 am

What are the rivers on either side of Polo Grounds in that NYC pic? What neighborhood was that yard in? Didn’t lack of parking around Polo Grounds wind up being a reason Stoneham left, and why he was so enthralled with where/how the Stick got built?

• Macdog said, on January 21, 2018 at 10:36 am

The GW Bridge is over the Hudson River, the other’s one the Harlem River.

• snarkk said, on January 21, 2018 at 11:06 am

You can pull up all sorts of cool, old photos of the Polo Grounds. Mays, Musial, etc. Must have been a cool place for a game, at least theoretically looking at it now. Right below Coogan’s Bluff, in the middle of apartment blocks and streets. The thing was like a horseshoe sandwiched into the urban zone, hence the crazy long distance to center and short porches to L and R. No parking, but there was a subway stop right there, 155th street. I didn’t realize that it and Yankee Stadium were so close until I saw that pic above, then google mapped it. You could walk 10 minutes to/from either one…

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2018 at 11:33 am

Some of the guys that came to NY for the 2016 Flapalooza wanted to make that trip but I don’t think they were able to fit it in, Snarkk…

• snarkk said, on January 21, 2018 at 12:00 pm

I did a bit of reading, Loo, with Sunday morning coffee. The PGrounds were in a continuing slide of disrepair in the ’50s, neighborhood was going to S, and team downhill after the ’54 WS win. Nobody coming to the baseball games. Football Giants moved over to Yankeeland, so that rent money gone. So Stoneham’s P&L was in red territory, future bleak. So, he bailed after O”Malley said I’ll leave if you leave…

17. Flavor said, on January 21, 2018 at 1:15 pm

the commercial where that kid goes “what’s a computer?” Man, fuck that commercial….lol

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Her device isn’t helping her much if she doesn’t know what a computer is.

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2018 at 1:33 pm

She might want to Google the word “computer.”

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Not so sure it’s a she, which I’m sure is by design these days…

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2018 at 3:08 pm

yeah that androgynous look seems to be all the rage these days.

18. zumiee said, on January 21, 2018 at 3:06 pm

Typical Patriot playoff game. Opponent chokes at the end.

19. Flavor said, on January 21, 2018 at 3:06 pm

Fucking New England. I hate New England. Cheaters always win. Oh well. I covered. There’s that.

20. zumiee said, on January 21, 2018 at 3:13 pm

The rest of the NFL should be embarrassed with itself for allowing this Patriot run over the years.

21. zumiee said, on January 21, 2018 at 3:18 pm

The Jags can now slide back into total obscurity again.

22. Flavor said, on January 21, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Brady getting too much credit again. I didn’t hear a single shout out for that CB who made that INSANE pass knock down to truly be the one who saved that game…..

• alleykat69 said, on January 21, 2018 at 4:36 pm

You win 5 SB’s you get all the credit even over Danny Ammedola’s fantastic catch toe drag.
      Agree the CB made a great play, the critics would say Tommy boy would of gave that WR more arc and dropped it in perfectly. It’s just brutal being Blake Bortles who played his heart out only to lose to the master..

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2018 at 5:31 pm

“31 unanswered points”

23. djloo27 said, on January 21, 2018 at 4:53 pm

Flavor: 13 generations of breeding on the bottom side scream out that Collected will bury Gun Runner on Saturday. Anything over 3-1 is a gift…

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Gun Runner humbled me in Nov. I sat helpless in the grandstand as he stormed home….But I like your analysis. Let’s check in again about this on race day.

24. alleykat69 said, on January 21, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Foles is just carving up Vikes 31-7..
    Did not see this blowout happening.
    Time for those stupid unanswered pts to go Vikes way.

25. Macdog said, on January 21, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Man, the Vikings are garbage.

26. xoot said, on January 21, 2018 at 5:55 pm

The NFL is not just in decline, it’s headed down a steep slope and picking up speed every year now

27. zumiee said, on January 21, 2018 at 6:01 pm

I heard a pundit earlier this week say he didn’t like the Vikings this week because NFL teams that win a miraculous victory in the playoffs rarely do well the next week. They’re usually flat the next week. He gave several examples.

• xoot said, on January 21, 2018 at 6:15 pm

I’m guessing, as my sons tend to say for some reason, that the pundit did not cite the 1981 nfc championship game as one such letdown precursor

• xoot said, on January 21, 2018 at 6:21 pm

The 1981 season. The game took place in January 82

• Macdog said, on January 21, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Or the ’75 Cowboys-Vikings game won on the Hail Mary to Drew Pearson. Cowboys beat the Rams 37-7 the following week.

• xoot said, on January 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Once again I tip my hat to real depth of knowledge.

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2018 at 6:23 pm

that’s exactly what I posted in yesterday thread.

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2018 at 6:31 pm

If the pundit used the “immaculate reception” as an example, it’s a shitty one. The Steelers gave the undefeated Dolphins a battle. They just got beat – they didn’t let down…

28. Flavor said, on January 21, 2018 at 6:22 pm

as I said in the thread, let downs from teams that win an epic game the week before are not uncommon. Really wish I’d been in a sports book the last 2 weekends….

• wilcojoe said, on January 21, 2018 at 6:48 pm

It’s amazing to see the lineup that the guy who won $100k in the $4 DK tourney had. Not one contrarian player in his lineup with the exception of Foles at QB. Unreal.

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2018 at 7:18 pm

i know, crazy. NFL is tough. NBA and mlb much more preferred, at least for me. I popped 2nd place in the NBA 45K sharpshooter today and 3rd in it last week. Today NFL? Lost $40. lol

29. xoot said, on January 21, 2018 at 6:47 pm

Thinking of 81 now, the raiders eagles superbowl was always one of my favorites. Pregame shots showed the stickum festooned raiders slapping each other and laughing during the national anthem. The eagles all stood up piously and and sang along at full voice. The eagles clearly were doomed. That tell worked for many years until the tv people got cautious about the anthem. Now, of course, we’re in a whole new world.

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2018 at 7:56 pm

that Niner Super Bowl was great. For the NFC championship game I was watching it at my dad’s, he and my mom had gotten divorced a couple years earlier. After Clark caught that ball my dad ran out of the house screaming, I suspected into the streets of Palo Alto. I didn’t see him for like 10 minutes. When he came back he was in his underwear. We high fived.
      I think I’ve told that story before but it ages well so I don’t mind telling it again. 🙂

• xoot said, on January 21, 2018 at 8:06 pm

That’s a good story

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2018 at 8:22 pm

May have influenced your notorious 1989 window jump, Flavor.
        I remember my dad telling me about some craziness when he heard Thomson’s homer on Armed Forces Radio in Korea. Far as I know he kept his pants on…

30. Flavor said, on January 21, 2018 at 7:55 pm

• wilcojoe said, on January 21, 2018 at 8:23 pm

I can’t stop watching this.

• snarkk said, on January 21, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Ouch.
      Concussion protocol…

31. zumiee said, on January 21, 2018 at 9:30 pm

The Patriots were called for only 1 penalty all game, and a ref congratulated Brady after the game. Not a good look for the NFL.