All They Do is Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 22, 2018

Well, that was a fun day of sports. I now turn my resistant eyes toward Philadelphia. Ugh. Rooting for any team from Philly is like asking me to root for USC or Cal or Notre Dame. Not in my DNA.

But there’s nothing worse than Tom Brady’s squeaky clean fake-o act or Belichick’s tired stoic facade or….the fact that they win all the time. That’s really what it comes down to, right?

Look at the Warriors. Is there a more likable collection of players ever assembled? Aside from Draymond of course. But even with Green’s antics, all those guys play to win as a TEAM. No egos. Few tattoos. Almost no off the court problems. And they are led by one of the most thoughtful, introspective, coaches in history.

And yet people hate them for no reason.

Other than…..they have cornered the market on winning.

Please, somehow, may the ghosts of Joe Montana’s past rise up as one and channel themselves through Nick Freaking Foles.

One time.

1. djloo27 said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:15 am

Foles has spent too much time around Andy Reid. No shot.

2. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:19 am

“And yet people hate them for no reason. Other than…..they have cornered the market on winning.” Interesting to hear you talk about the Warriors in this way while hating the Pats for the same reason, good analogy. Maybe one difference is, some people actually hate the Pats for other reasons, legitimate or not (cheating, weak division, whatever). As a long-time Patriots fan after living in Beantown for 15 years (pre-glory years), here on the Flap re: football, I feel like a Republican in California (which I am most definitely not), hence, I don’t join in the football conversations here much. All I can say is, Pats fans in New England and elsewhere feel about their team (and the Patriots really did usher in “the team” thing back in their 1st Super Bowl with no individual introductions) as fondly as you Warrior fans here on the Flap and elsewhere feel about the W’s.

From my point of view, I don’t love football, I like football, it’s not like baseball in any way shape or form for me. It’s a side attraction. But being a Pats fan in this era of (sorry to say) a great fucking team that just goes out and wins year after year… it’s actually been a quiet bit of sports satisfaction for me, not significant in life by any means, but at least fun to watch. And if any of you had spent years in New England as I did, you’d be spending less time and energy hatin’ on the Pats and more time at least appreciating good, sustainably winning football. Rant concluded. Oh, and, New England really fucked up trading Jimmy G to SF, good for the Niners on that one.

3. unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:31 am

The refs love Brady. The PI call was bad. Those 35 yard penalties help at bit. You could even say the delay penalty was tricky tacky as teams usu get the benefit of the doubt there. Huge call as well.

Right or wrong, NE always seems to be on the right end of the calls. Even the fumble recovery by Jack. They don’t blow the whistle he likely scores.

4. willedav said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:36 am

Brady Belichik and Pats win, bottom line. They won this week when Brady was supposedly all f-ed up. They have zero control over who else is on other side. they change running backs and receivers all the time, result remains the same. They know what they’re doing.

When Niners dominated their division was often a joke, as they pounded Rams and Falcons. Remember Charles Dimry pushing Rice into the end zone?. 2 of those SBs, vs. Chargers and Broncos weren’t games at all, just thrashes. They were head and shoulders better than anyone else around, and then it ended.

A Dolphins fan used to deliver where I work, nice guy and a gambler. He hated Brady and Pats, but betting against them usually didn’t pay off for him.

• wilcojoe said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:52 am

I was just about to say the same thing about the Niners playing in a shitty NFC West all those years. It really wasn’t until the playoffs that they ever seemed to be tested. Of course those Bears and Giants teams of the 80’s were pretty damn good. Then the Cowboys and the Packers in the 90’s. Those were some epic battles.

5. Flavor said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:46 am

Paul–whether it came through or not, that was my mid-thread epiphany: I hate the Pats because they win. I would also say there is a little more juice to it because I have had to grudgingly admit that Brady had the better career than Joe and that’s not even debatable anymore.
    But if I needed one game there is no hesitation: I would chose Joe over Brady in a heartbeat.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:58 am

Yeah, got it, Craig, thanks, that’s why I said it was a good analogy. Epiphanies are good things…. 🙂 And yes, I’m very aware of the Montana-Brady thing here. Hey, Brady went to high school at San Mateo, right?, same as Bonds? Practically Bay Area royalty. …………….

6. willedav said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:57 am

I hated Celts of ’60s for same reason—they won every year. Screaming Boston Garden fans yukking it up while Auerbach lit up his victory cigar? Arggh.
    He was actually quite an innovator tho, and helped usher NBA into what it is today. He had an all black starting 5 (so did Wilt’s Sixers) in an era where other teams had quotas–3 or 4 blacks, maximum. He also hired Bill Russell as player coach. While Russell was never much of a coach, they still won and for that time was unprecedented in any major sport.

• willedav said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:05 am

No one will ever top Russell for rings either. I have lot of respect for what he has done, Bird and McHale too.
      McHale is also a funny no nonsense commentator and had textbook post moves kids today could learn from.

7. wilcojoe said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:05 am

From now until the first Spring Training games start, is the worst time of year for me as a sports fan. Even college football took some of the luster of National Signing Day away, when they went to the early signing period back in December. I usually don’t get excited about golf until the Pebble Beach pro-am, so at least that’s coming up.

8. gianthead said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:55 am

It was Falcons dumb ass coaching that choked last year and now Jags…I have no faith in the Eagles coaching to not do the same…

9. snarkk said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:57 am

The Niners ’80s-’90s period of dominance coincided with an NFC that had some co-dominant organizations. The Pats have not had to face that playoff gauntlet during their period of dominance. I would take Joe over Brady in a playoff, no question. Brady has the stats, he’s played many more seasons than Joe;he hasn’t been hit near as much as Joe and other QBs were during his time in the league. No excuse, just fact…

10. zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 9:26 am

in the 4th quarter, the first play on every Jag possession was a run up the middle for 1 or 2 yards. The Jags were clearly just hoping somehow the clock would run out. They were playing “not to lose,” which is how teams always lose to New England.
    Bill Walsh didn’t run up the middle on first down every time in the 4th quarter. Walsh made a living out of doing what Belichick and crew are doing: defeating conservative coaches.

11. unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2018 at 10:07 am

Yeah, the thing about the 49ers back in the day are: a) they didn’t have 15 rules around where and how to hit the QB, b) the rules around PI and where and how you could cover WRs is much different, c) there was a LOT more coke snorted during games (see Taylor, Lawrence) back then, c) I’m with Snarkk, the Niners had much tougher playoff opponents than NE has had, d) Brady has lost his share of Super Bowls. e) With the game on the line, it’s Joe every time.

Yeah, Brady is great. He usually takes a cast of no-name WRs and makes them decent to great. But they have gotten so many breaks (tuck rule) two game-changing TDs taken away from their opponents THIS year alone, cheating, spy-gate, deflate-gate, on and on, that it’s hard to root for the guy. Even if he did go to my high school.

12. unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2018 at 10:17 am

These entire playoffs showed just how bad coaching, and football in general, is these days. Andy Reid being the biggest fuck-up of them all. Reid SHOULD have run a bunch more than he did when KC got their lead. He went all Mike Martz when he didn’t need to. Like Shanahan in last year’s Super Bowl. There are times to go conservative on offense. Like when you have a big lead and you have a pretty good (re: league-leading) running back. Duh.

Defensively, I couldn’t take it. Pittsburgh giving up 45 points to Jax is unconscionable. And Jax did it by throwing swing passes and underneath routes for big plays. It even worked yesterday for a while until NE took the short shot (and run) away by moving everyone up closer to the line. Bortles won’t beat you deep. NE adjusted and shut them down.

If anything Belichick is very good at changing strategy much quicker than his opponents. His 2nd half adjustments are miles ahead of anyone around him.

13. unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2018 at 10:18 am

What would comfort me is Brady losing, and then his understudy winning a few. Oops. Wrong blog.

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 22, 2018 at 11:22 am

Seems like the criticisms of NE are similar to those leveled at the SF dynasty of ’10, ’12 & ’14 (who still don’t get any national respect, imo). They got lucky (Strasburg being held out), they cheat (Melky-still miss the MelkMaids btw), yada, yada. At the end of every year there’s only going to be one team standing and you can’t take it away from them.

15. alleykat69 said, on January 22, 2018 at 11:33 am

Bill Walsh’s team took no prisoners especially on the road. He just wanted to take the opponents spirits and fans and bury them by halftime. It was the 49er way and it was very satisfying to watch. Still say their 84 team was one of the best all time at doing that..15-1 only loss to the Steelers at home 17-14 from a perfect season ..

16. zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 11:47 am

And New England’s not even winning any of their Super Bowls decisively. 5 championships by a total of about 20 points combined. If they’re so great, you’d think they’d win in a blowout at least once.

17. zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 11:54 am

Btw, I’m all for people making money on the stock market, but what’s happening now is insane. How can there even be enough corporate profits to justify what’s happening? It’s like the stock market has officially just moved into being a complete Ponzi scheme. It’s always had some Ponzi-ishness to it, but now it seems out and out completely a pyramid scheme. A big crash is inevitable, but for now lots of people are riding the beast, I guess with a lot of their life’s savings.

• zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 11:56 am

The top 10% of people own about 80% of the stock, but that’s a whole other topic.

• unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Yeah, I[ve got a hair trigger on our 401k now. I lost a ton when it crashed previously but figured (eventually) that it would come back up as markets seem to do. And it did. Back then I wasn’t as close to retirement as I am now and we ended up ahead of the game after getting squashed like a bug on a windshield, but the stakes are much higher now that I’m in my 50s as opposed to my 30s and 40s.

• blade3colorado said, on January 22, 2018 at 4:35 pm

You’re absolutely right. You better have a trailing stop loss in place on any individual “momentum” type stock, e.g., Tesla.

Personally, I’ve benefited to the tune of $120k alone on NVDA in the last 12 months by doing what is called a swing trade, i.e., in and out after a period of weeks. In the latest run up (and you can check the Nvidia chart to confirm), I bought 1400 shrs @ approx. a $187 CBA about a month ago . . . Fast forward today – $235.30, about a $60k unrealised profit. Today alone, up over 5 dollars a share. I’ve done this with numerous stocks (AAPL, LRCX, FB, etc).

Yep, it’s crazy. However, if you know what you’re doing, you can make thousands of dollars in a short period of time.

18. unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Cheating for the Giants didn’t play near as big a part as it has with NE. NE was caught spying on teams’ hand signals for 7 years. Including against the Rams in Super Bowl 30-something. They’ve been busted for lying about their IR players numerous times. Throw in deflate-gate and the infamous snowplow game and there you have it. Known cheaters time and again.

The only cheating charges around the Giants concern Mr. Bonds. Melky played half of one year here and was an afterthought by the time the 2012 playoffs rolled around. I’ve never heard anyone cite the Giants as being cheaters in their recent run. Lucky? Sure. But if anyone thinks luck happens over that timespan, they are deluded.

All I’m saying (beyond the fact the game was much different for Montana than is is for Brady) is that the Pats have gotten an inordinate amount of breaks from the refs. The tuck rule being the biggest most inappropriate call of all time, was called against NE earlier that season and not since. Does that play into the friendship between Kraft and Jolly Roger? Who’s to say not?

19. Macdog said, on January 22, 2018 at 12:56 pm

It’s amazing how the Pats’ last three Super wins were aided by outright stupidity on the opposing sidelines:

Andy Reid milking the clock on a long TD drive in the 4th quarter despite being down by 10.

Pete Carroll — enough said.

Terrible play-calling that took the Falcons from all but clinching the title with a potential field goal by one of the best kickers around to out of field goal range and giving the Pats new life.

20. unca_chuck said, on January 22, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Yeah, That’s why I think the Montana/Young led teams are better than these Pat teams. When the Niners were on, they were unstoppable. Their best team likely was the 1987 team that inexplicably cratered in the playoffs and lost to the Vikes.

Montana/Brady? I think Brady would have not done as well in Joe’s era, when DBs were allowed to chuck, and there wasn’t a penalty on every deep ball. I think Joe has a couple more seasons given the protection QBs now receive.

Speaking of the refs, I think the only other team to get artificially aided by the refs was the Steelers when they played the Seahawks in SB 40. The calls in that game were atrocious.

• zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 3:13 pm

And the Dodgers with 13, 37, 40, and 69, after already calling up Seager and Bellinger in the last couple of years.

• zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 3:58 pm

They did blow out Urias’ arm, though.

21. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 22, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Austin Jackson for 2 yrs per Heyman.

22. zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 5:08 pm

Hey, I finally nailed a prediction!

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2018 at 5:27 pm

i was trying to remember who said that was a done deal. I thought it was Loo? But no! Zumiee! Nice call.

• djloo27 said, on January 22, 2018 at 5:58 pm

I was expecting Carlos Gomez whose even older than Jackson.
        Giants have to be the oldest team in baseball.
        Even the guys you might think are still young are getting up there.
        Some of these DOBs might surprise you:

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2018 at 6:05 pm

the Millennial wheel house….

23. gianthead said, on January 22, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Austin Jackson come on down…sensible move in this attempt to compete and keep fans in the seats…Duggar hopefully rips in AAA and is ready in 2018. Parker and Slater/Gorkys rounds out the OF…

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Duggar gonna get a chance to platoon with A-Jax right off the bat.

24. gianthead said, on January 22, 2018 at 6:26 pm

With the contract he signed 2 years ago for $39 mill…Denard Spam is laughing his ass off this off-season….

25. snarkk said, on January 22, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Well, Jackson plugs the CF hole. He ain’t Mays, but he’ll do, better than another season of Spam. But, I see he hasn’t played a ton of games the last few seasons for some reason. He’ll steal a base now and then, not a real threat on the bases; a bit of pop and potential for a .800+ OPS. I want Duggar / Slater out there in the 4 and 5 OF spots. I’ve seen enough of Gorkys and his wet noodle bat. I’m sticking with a projected low to mid 80s W count, pending ST action and another Pen move…

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2018 at 6:53 pm

A-Jax is a platoon guy at this point. That’s fine. I’d like to see the Giants stick with a platoon for longer than a month for once.

• snarkk said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:43 pm

That would make sense given his recent history. So, who’s the other side platoon guy, LH Duggar or Parker? I really am not diggin’ Parker or Williamson any more…

26. Flavor said, on January 22, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Our good friend Daniel shot me some off season questions to answer. Here’s a look at them, feel free to answer then now and I’ll post them within the thread I do at some point or just mull them over and respond when I do the thread.
    What are your thoughts on the offseason? Did the club improve over the winter?

Is there any concern that the Giants’ window might be closing soon?

What’s your projection for 2018? Where does the team wind up overall?

What’s one question I should have asked and what’s the answer to it?

• zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 6:58 pm

“Who is the one key player, the guy that must have a good year for the Giants to do well?”

Cueto, IMO.

• James said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Very good call. The assumption that some returnees are going to perform better than last year is a necessity, but I’m not really seeing why nearly everyone is extending the benefit of the doubt to the starting staff.

27. pawliekokonuts said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Memory of Austin Jackson. I was sitting in the bleachers during Pablo’s 3-HR WS game in 2012. Later in the game, the fans were taunting Jackson, the Tigers’ CF, something classy like: What’s the matter with Jackson? He sucks. I think I chronicled it in WORLD SERIOUS but too lazy to check.

28. James said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:42 pm

I’m bummed at the idea of Jackson platooning. As an everyday player, he’d probably take a little heat off of Belt by claiming the team K title.

29. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Does this mean we’ve finally seen the past of Parker (who sucks)?

• snarkk said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Parker can walk. I’d give Williamson one more try…

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:46 pm

i would think Parker or Duggar would end up platooning with A-Jax. I think this spells the end of the good Stanford lad Slater.

• snarkk said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:54 pm

I would take Slater over Gorkys 8 days a week. The kid showed some glove, and definitely some pop…

30. zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Parker never lived up to this gif, which is disappointing.

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 22, 2018 at 7:53 pm

I won’t be surprised to see Gorkys stay on for the sole purpose of Pence or Mclutchen getting switched out late in games. I’d rather see Slater get some more run. We know what Mac and Parker (who sucks) bring.

• zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:25 pm

The 2017 Mac/Parker platoon in leftfield. Failure to launch.

32. xoot said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:22 pm

Jackson lost most of 2016 to a “medial meniscus tear in his left knee.” Last year he missed a lot of games with a quad strain. Angel Pagan was older before he started to break down. On the other hand, as Passan tweeted, the low price the Giants are paying really shows how bad things are for the players this offseason. What’ve we got to lose?

33. xoot said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Cueto’s not going to have many compañeros on the 25 this year.

34. James said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:36 pm

The Giants current avg age based on last year’s roster is 29.6 for the hitters, 29.0 for the pitchers.

In a Bleacher Report analysis of the WS winners between 2004-13, eight of the winners had the older of the two rosters, with an avg. age of 29.6 across all 8 of the championship teams.

You can obviously get a lot more nuanced year by year by looking at who’s doing most of the playing, but given the sample size, I’d say that the average age of the players is not the biggest problem SF faces in 2018.

• zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Two relief pitchers coming off arm surgery- Melancon and Smith. Who knows how that’s going to work out.
      Fun fact: Melancon gets paid $20 million this season.

35. Macdog said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Here you go Pawlie, on page 60:

Other taunts from our perch included shouts to the Tigers’ center fielder Austin Jackson. Like a crew coxswain, someone in back of me (you could not go much farther back in the house) would prompt, “What’s the matter with Jackson” and our antiphonal response in this cathedral was, “He’s a bum!”

• unca_chuck said, on January 23, 2018 at 8:19 am

The bleachers need to work on their chants.

36. willedav said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:43 pm

re: ? I should have asked:
    Are Giants prepared to exceed lux tax if they find they need more pitching?
    Answer better be yes. Unrealistic to expect all those unhealthy last year to rebound and equal past years of success. 4/5 a crapshoot of youth and inexperience, loogys a major issue last year.

37. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on January 22, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Did the club improve over the winter? For the short-term, absolutely. Beyond a year or two? Likely not.

Is there any concern that the Giants’ window might be closing soon? Some think it’s already closed. I think it’s still open just a tad to let a little breeze in.

What’s one thing people may overlook (either positively or negatively) about this team? Positively: The team was joyless last year especially as it sunk deeper into oblivion, but I don’t expect that to happen this year. More joy might translate into more wins. Negatively: Let’s see how Bochy does managing the ship. I have my doubts.

Who is the one key player, the guy that must have a good year for the Giants to do well? Posey, who must lead by example.

What’s your projection for 2018? Where does the team wind up overall? Just above .500, maybe close enough for the 2nd wildcard spot.

What’s one question I should have asked and what’s the answer to it? Will “the core” that the FO talks about (Posey, Bum, Crawford, Belt, Pence, Panik) be a true core, or more of an ongoing sore? It’s only January, I’ll go with “the core will be ok”. Subject to change by the end of spring training.

• zumiee said, on January 22, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Regarding a more joyful team this season: the clubhouse atmosphere should be livelier with Longo, Cutch, and Jackson. All three come across as outgoing personalities with a sense of humor, from interviews I’ve seen.

• snarkk said, on January 23, 2018 at 7:28 am

98 losses doesn’t tend to generate a lot of joy…

38. unca_chuck said, on January 23, 2018 at 8:18 am

I’d go Samarj as MIP. I think Bummie and Cueto will be good to go. If Samarj can keep the ball in the yard and hover around a .550 winning %age it would be huge. The back end of the order will be varying shades of diarrhea so the hope is the top 3 kill it.