White Shark Resurfaces

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 30, 2018

He’s back. Sorta. On a minor league deal. As Twin used to say, “Relax, it’s just a minor league deal.”

Having said that, it looks like the 3rd/4th/5th OF spot is going to be uninspiring at best. And that’s giving the benefit of the doubt to Pence as the “inspiring” #2.

Boch might be forced to play some of the younger guys this year in the OF. Of course he could just check back in on the blinder Upton bro and see if his wrist has healed up.

This morning I realized why I published all those Twinfan emails. It’s kinda been like having him back again. I know that’s a bit morbid with him being dead. But don’t Beatles fans get all jazzed up when previously unreleased songs get released? Does that happen with them? I don’t know.

Anyway, for a couple of days it felt like that crusty ol’ son of a gun was back. Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did….

1. zumiee said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:15 am

It was pretty lame when Evans said the other day that the Giants aren’t treating the luxury tax as a hard cap. Clearly they are, so why say what he did? It just insults everyone’s intelligence. All the teams have decided to treat it as a hard cap. It’s a type of collusion, if only an informal collusion.

• xoot said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:59 am

No it’s not. Collusion requires “concerted” activity–action according to a plan. The owners don’t have to go that far. They don’t need to conspire. The CBTax term the union negotiated in the new CBA gives owners financial incentive, and for high-rolling teams like the Giants even some bargaining leverage, for the next few years. The teams are just exploiting the terms of their contract. Apparently the union traded short-term pain in return for getting rid of the CBTax altogether in three years, when the current CBA expires.

• xoot said, on January 30, 2018 at 8:12 am

actually, after re-reading the CBTax terms in the CBA, I’m not sure what the union’s motivation was in negotiating it. The new provisions clearly are designed to penalize very high payroll teams–dodgers, yankees. (Teams that go $40 million over the cap not only pay high tax, they also get punished in the draft.) Most teams, of course, aren’t even close to the cap, so those teams can’t be accused of using the cap to collude, can they?

• gianthead said, on January 30, 2018 at 8:29 am

But Xoot I think all owners are trying to stop the huge 5-6 deals. Not many teams are near the cap so why are there not many more teams not in on JD Martinez??? I suggest it is because the owners are in fact trying to set the market and limit the terms of length for players “unofficially” by “conspiring” to limit contract lengths now for mid-tier players before the bonanza for the top tier players who will be free agents next year.

I think owners are fine with the superstars getting crazy 10-year contracts but they don’t want the 10 year deals that Harper and Machado will get to then drive up the contracts for average players to 5-6 year deals like what Werth and others got a few years ago.

Collusion by any other name..

• xoot said, on January 30, 2018 at 8:35 am

there’s no doubt that the high rolling teams are lookiing forward to next off season’s FAs. That’s why they want to get under the tax threshold for one year–to reset the tax calcs. How is that planned, “concerted activity”? It’s identical response to financial incentives created by the weak FA market and the CBA. That’s the way capitalism works. Does that suck? Oh, gee.

• xoot said, on January 30, 2018 at 8:38 am

and “collusion” is a defined term. Just as Amazon knows how to skirt the antitrust laws, mlb knows how to skirt the definition of “collusion” in the CBA. I think. Again, is it reprehensible, does it suck? Yes, I’d say so.

2. willedav said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:35 am

Yesterday F/G had column about Giants disregarding pitching while filling up the OF in off season.
    Blach is very underwhelming, and I’d hoped Beede (taking his nitwit bride) would be playing for Marlins or maybe another team farther away. Heston?? Loogys? Health of FLR and Melancon?
    Funny thing is, for all the inactivity, relievers went first.

3. Stan Shell said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:54 am

Haven’t seen too much talk about Longoria. I think you guys will like him. Steady, clutch, with a good glove. I know it is sacrilegious, but the player he reminds me most of is Posey.

OSF (Ex-Tampa Bay resident and still cursed to be a Bucs fan)

4. willedav said, on January 30, 2018 at 8:08 am

I’m house sitting all week and went back and read the thread Loo posted, lot of fun. 2018 and we’re still talking LF, and Blanco is still in the mix.
    Sabes not only picked up Casey Mac at that time (good guy, uninspiring player ultimately) but signed Aoki off KC for LF. Gad I couldn’t stand to watch him hit, and LF was an adventure. The Japanese pro teams are relentless about practicing fundamentals, even schedule workouts after games. I could never figure out why a guy like Aoki who grew up there was such a crummy OF with such terrible routes to the ball.

5. gianthead said, on January 30, 2018 at 8:21 am

Not collusion…just a wink wink…but I failed to comment yesterday that your comment Flav of comparing Twin with Captain Queeg
    (Sp?) was totally spot on.

I remembered a splash battle where Twin completely insanely tried to defend Fred Lewis’ defensive abilities when we could see with our own eyes how incompetent he was in the field. The obvious eye test was not good enough for him as you saw Lewis botch ball after ball.

Well Twin, Fred Lewis very short career won me that argument…hah!

Blanco likely means front office does shit about a savvy deal for Broxton. Blanco is insurance on Duggar flaming out as a starter is my guess. I think they are putting up way too much pressure on Duggar. He should get a mid-year call up as Posey and Panda got and let him to play loose.

• xoot said, on January 30, 2018 at 8:27 am

Who’s winking? They’re all just lqt themselves. The top half-dozen payroll teams have financial incentive to get under the cap this year (thus bringing down taxes if they decide to go over until the tax is set to vanish in 2021), and the lower payroll teams meanwhile all have financial incentive to wait for the high flying FAs to bring their prices down. The more I look at it, the more strongly I feel that the union just screwed up.

6. pawliekokonuts said, on January 30, 2018 at 8:34 am

My optimistic side says Drugger or Shaw or somebody surprising will light it up as a rookie. The surprises have happened in the past. Go back and look. People weren’t jazzing over Sandoval or Panik or Duffy before they came up. I saw Pablo in Binghamton, double AA, AS A CATCHER, a few days before his callup. I was with a Mets fan. We agreed: send Sandoval up and Daniel Murphy for the Mets. We were right as scouts. Not so right about Ryan Rohlinger, who also moved up to MLB. My point is: such minor, ahem, miracles happen.

Expecting miracles is no way to run a team.

And at this point we are a .500 team or a little better at best.

Glad Blanco is back. Always liked him. But he’s past his prime. Who isn’t on this team?

• Flavor said, on January 30, 2018 at 9:46 am

love the enthusiasm PK. Mildly agree with you.

7. willedav said, on January 30, 2018 at 9:22 am

Part of the problem with remaining FAs is they really won’t move the needle much for those out of contention type teams. In the NL, that’s half the league. why would the Phils Pads Mets etc, beside the teams like Braves Reds Pirates Marlins trying to save money, pony up $$$/multi year deals for Arrieta JD Hosmer Moustakas Darvish or an expensive reliever like Holland?
    At their age and past history none of them seem like put you over the top deal breakers and they’re very expensive.

8. mrsprtdude said, on January 30, 2018 at 9:42 am

Hi all,

How ironic i missed 5 days because my computer crashed. Ironic because it is the computer Twin gave me for winning the 1st computer contest. At least i think it was the 1st. Total runs scored in the 2010 NLCS against Philly. When I miss some time I go back and scan the thread titles. I’m really glad i did. I just re looked at the Twin letters.

Complicated guy for sure. Mostly i thought he was an asshole, and mostly felt sorry for him. So much anger for a guy who was sick and slowly declining. The only time i didn’t check in at least 3-4 times a week was after the huge dustup he had with Craig ( I know which one?), and I stopped reading for a month or so, as the fight dominated nightly and got old fast. I’m here a lot, and feel like I know a lot of you guys ( welcome back clubber)..I get on late at night, and many times the thread is over, or nothing new to add.

I did appreciate his baseball insights, as will repost the letter he wrote that Craig reprinted, just in case any missed it. I read it twice. I remember it the 1st time he wrote it. Reminded me of listening to Giant games late at night with my little radio as a boy. Would the Count win it? Moon man get the save? When would Clark play more? ( my fav Giant till until Will, until Timmy.) and still to this day I wait and wonder every spring. My wife flew me up to Candlestick as a surprise and my whole family was at the game for my 30th Bday. My name in lights on the score board..game 6 in 2002, game 2 2010, Snow homer that i called out before inning started, watching games with my dad……. watching Craigs posted reaction to the WS win in 2010 after the last game..”Did that just happen????”
    Some of life’s best memories revolve around baseball for many of us, and this poem is just terrific…
    RIP Michael Scott

“We’ve all come about our love for baseball in our own ways. I loved it as a boy and playing it made it even better. Then for many years it was a sometime diversion as my work took 12-16 hours of my day. I had season tickets for over 3 decades but my friends and customers went more than I did. Baseball as the National Pastime is a thing of the past- life is faster now, so much is available with a click and a tweet. I liken baseball to the foods of the Shaker women- the cuisine was in their heads and hearts, not put to paper. It was up to the food historians and writers like Ronald Johnson to find what was in their hearts and preserve it for today. And so it is up to those of us who remember the game of our youth, to pass along to a new generation the joy of baseball when it was the game that little boys dreamt of, when small towns were abuzz as the World Series approached and *everyone* wanted to see the powerful Yanks humbled.
    Which brings me to today. I rediscovered the game when I grew older and my health deteriorated. I became a NUT, a FANBOY-and miraculously became a young boy again. I often dream of the game, I remember the players of my youth in Pittsburgh. For years I had remembered what we now call a “walk off”. A player named Johnny Powers hit one of his few home runs into the teeth of a strong wind and raised his arms high into the air as he soaked in the cheers. It wasn’t until many years later that I found out that it wasn’t Powers, it was Bob Skinner. And then I realized that it didn’t matter, what mattered was that it made me recall what the game once was and why I loved it as a boy and now again in my older years. It slows life down, it’s a game that you can savor as you savor a fine wine or a walk in the woods, a doze in a hammock, it’s a game that makes us realize that life is to be enjoyed slowly -as it passes by all too soon.”

• Flavor said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:03 am

great post. I think we’re about the same age so we have had a very similar baseball experience. btw I popped your post into the Flap HOF. #67 all time…

• unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:11 am

Yeah, I saw that when I was scanning old emails, and then I couldn’t find it. Thanks for posting that, dude. . .

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 30, 2018 at 1:37 pm

good to have you back

9. mrsprtdude said, on January 30, 2018 at 9:46 am

…and yes game 6 in 2002 is listed as a great memory. NOT..but things happen for a reason, and 2010 was SOOO much better because of 2002. The cross we all had to bear. A test. The SF Giant fans who could take that and never lose faith were the ones who got the most joy out of 2010..Just my 2C

10. wilcojoe said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:04 am

I love the last two paragraphs of your post Flav. Couldn’t agree more.

11. sfsarge said, on January 30, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Man it was pretty funny to read all of those emails from Twin. I kinda took it as welcome to the crew when he jumped on my case about a story I relayed about Pablo. Sad that he passed, but it’s good that he’s not in pain anymore.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 30, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Why would anyone get excited about another version of a shitty Beatles song?

• Flavor said, on January 30, 2018 at 1:20 pm

no doubt. Lockstep with you on this topic.

13. willedav said, on January 30, 2018 at 12:54 pm

First story on MLBTR–Brewers designate Andrew Susac in order to clear roster spot for RHP Matt Albers.

Poor Susac, hit OK in limited action for SF, got hurt and just never got out of AAA. Career for SF .716 OPS, better than Hacktor the Prez Stewart (maybe not) yada yada.

Is Albers (from Nats) that really big guy Flav (in jest I believe but could be wrong) wanted Giants to get?

• Flavor said, on January 30, 2018 at 1:20 pm

Fat Albers? Hell yes.

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Susac gets invited to Giants camp.
      Book it…

14. Flavor said, on January 30, 2018 at 1:21 pm

Twin has some good stuff in the Falp HOF link to the right. Check it out if you have the time

15. pawliekokonuts said, on January 30, 2018 at 3:20 pm

My latest essay/column/whatchamacallit: http://bit.ly/2DNXolz

16. pawliekokonuts said, on January 30, 2018 at 3:22 pm

22 essays/columns/whatchamacallits here: http://amzn.to/2kmJN8s

17. zumiee said, on January 30, 2018 at 3:23 pm

As usual, Krukow is onboard:

““With Gregor Blanco, there’s a left-handed outfielder that’s got range, that’s got experience, who can pinch hit. I think he’ll go to camp and if they think Duggar is overmatched, (Blanco) will fill that spot,” Krukow said. “I think even if he goes to camp and doesn’t make the team, Gregor may go down to the minor leagues and be the security blanket early on. I just think at this point when you have an established, older club like the Giants have, if you take a chance on a rookie, he has to perform, and perform right away. If it doesn’t look like he’s going to be able to do that, that’s what Gregor Blanco will do. I love that Gregor will accept that role and he’ll be good with it and he’ll help the kid too.””

• Flavor said, on January 30, 2018 at 5:24 pm

i truly think that Kruk would be happier shining a hologram of a vet out there into CF than stomach watching an actual human rookie play out there

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Return of Blanco is the usual “old shoe” in reserve MO by the Giants.
      Rather than do what it takes to ride it out and break in a new shoe like Slater or Duggar for a month and a half of challenged ABs before the shoe starts to hit/feel good, they’ll shit can that new shoe that’s still a little uncomfortable after just two weeks of chafing, and trade out for the comfortable old shoe in back of the closet. The one that feels good right away, but starts to fall apart and do the usual-we’ve seen-this-crap-before 6 for 60 two-step from June to August. Oh, but the old shoe’s defense…

• James said, on January 30, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Odious Snarkk on poor White Shark . . . .

18. James said, on January 30, 2018 at 6:01 pm

“The obvious eye test was not good enough for him as you saw Lewis botch ball after ball.” I was kinda amused that TF eventually came around on Freddle’s, whose handful of embarrassing gaffes probably totaled no more than half a dozen over his time with SF. His comments about FLew’s OF play were initially as hostile (and funny) as anybody’s. It’s really too bad the Splash comments were not archived.

19. Macdog said, on January 30, 2018 at 6:42 pm

The Kansas City Star is reporting the Chiefs are trading Alex Smith to the Redskins.

• unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:15 pm

No shit. I figured as much. Esp after the last debacle in the playoffs. Although that’s more on Reid than Young Sir Alex.

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Whither Cousins?…

20. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Ahhh, the chron blogs were available for a few years after the split. The last one for blogspot was Posey’s first hit as a Giant, right?

• James said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:27 pm

The posts by Schulman are still available. The comments were collected in a separate piece of software that sfgate no longer uses. These were not standard web pages that could easily be captured in an archive.

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Are those posts mostly of what he’s eating in the press box?…

21. alleykat69 said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Yeah no only did the Chiefs trade Alex, the Redskins just extended his contract for 4 years, wow…

22. djloo27 said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:28 pm

djloo27 said, on January 3, 2018 at 8:50 pm (Edit)

Got a feeling Alex lands in Washington next season…

• djloo27 said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:30 pm

I can hear the “broken clock/blind squirrel” cracks from 3,000 miles away…

• Flavor said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:41 pm

goddamn now THAT was a call. Well done.

• djloo27 said, on January 30, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Of course I won’t re-post my Pegasus wisdom…

23. xoot said, on January 30, 2018 at 8:21 pm

I’ve watched some infuriating things on tv in my life but this KY Vanderbilt game tonight may be the worst. effing Cats. Come on.

24. alleykat69 said, on January 30, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Kirk Cousins will sign with the NewYork Jets ! Book it, that’s my prediction..1/30/18

25. James said, on January 30, 2018 at 9:25 pm

For WillieD:

• willedav said, on January 31, 2018 at 6:50 am

oh yeah. the CD I got has all 3 days in Boston live from 1970 before Green bailed and things went south and eventually strictly commercial. Black Magic woman as opener. Peter Green D Kirwan and J Spencer plus Mick and McVie. Good stuff.

26. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Cousins to the Browns . . .

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:06 pm

And into obscurity…

27. snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:01 pm

BF’s historic look backs had me looking at the Flap archives. I forgot about the “Room B”, and Oracle had the temporary power to “remove” posts to there from the main blog, ready to re-prove the axiom that absolute power corrupts absolutely:

snarkk said, on June 6, 2010 at 2:54 pm
    As for the Room B bullshit, whatever. Oracle would put my posts in there if I quoted the Pledge of Allegiance…

• zumiee said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:07 pm

I don’t think he ever got that ability. He wanted it, but I don’t think he ever figured out how to do it. It was sort of his holy grail quest, though.
      BF was probably chuckling to himself the whole way on that one.

• zumiee said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:20 pm

I never really understood TF’s attitude toward the blogs.

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:21 pm

I’m pretty sure I saw a post of mine that had been listed as removed. And, Chuck and “PickledGringo” had gotten the heave ho, too. Maybe Chuck remembers…

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:34 pm

Yep, there’s a time post of mine on this below date that had a note in its place that it had been removed. Apparently for odiousness. Later that day, apparently in reposte to my 2:54 comment on the Pledge of Allegiance:

twinfan said, on June 6, 2010 at 2:57 pm
        Daddy-O, that would normally get you in Room B but as I’m still in the process of working up the guidelines, I’m going to give you a pass. The current residents of Room B are Chuckles and PickledGringo. Snarkk had a post moved there but only to demonstrate the awesome power that has been vested in me. He will remain in the main house but only because he’s out of options. When Chuckles and Gringo post, I will redirect the commenters to Room B if you choose to respond to them. Chuckles has the opportunity to get out but Gringo, alas, is a permanent resident.

BF probably put a kibosh on that power pretty quickly; it’s so long ago I hadn’t even thought of this. Pretty amusing looking back on it, but I was probably PO’d then that my post got hijacked…

• zumiee said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:49 pm

Oh, I didn’t remember that. It must not have lasted very long. I’m surprised BF even allowed it for a short time. Maybe BF was curious how insane TF could behave. It turns out: pretty insane.

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:53 pm

It’s just sinking in that this blog has been going on since 2010. With a lot of the same dudes then, still here now, going strong. Amazing. There’s definitely more than just the Giants and baseball keeping us going here.
        BTW, I miss Ted Spe’s posts…

• zumiee said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:54 pm

And then thereafter whenever TF thought someone’s post was bad, he would sometimes call it a Room B post.

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:55 pm

Yep, among other things…

• zumiee said, on January 30, 2018 at 10:56 pm

This blog started, and then the Giants started winning multiple championships.
        Coincidence?….. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on January 31, 2018 at 5:00 am

I think he was just entertaining us – and himself…

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 11:02 pm

Hell no. No coincidence there.
      Bochy and the FO had to be reading it daily.
      BTW, speaking of earlier days, I do miss the BBOTD. I looked forward to BF’s odd/miscellaneous photo begging for Flapper descriptions. Almost always some hilarious posts going on there…

• zumiee said, on January 30, 2018 at 11:06 pm

Yeah, some of those photos were pretty rough.

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2018 at 11:10 pm

Flapper descriptions were usually up to the task…

28. Flavor said, on January 31, 2018 at 6:38 am

I’m going to have to go back thru the email archives again and familiarize myself with Room B. I have a hazy memory of giving twin that *room* to do as he likes. I don’t remember him pulling posts over there but I bet the emails will jar my memory. lol. When I have some time I’ll check it out. The links on the right hand side of the blog are titled “Room B and other outstanding stuff” and I do remember a Room B but not where Twin was dragging comments over there like some southerner would drag his kid out to the woodshed for a good whoopin’ lol

29. willedav said, on January 31, 2018 at 6:57 am

First time seeing 10 minutes (last 10 of exciting game with snake bitten Baylor) of the Okla kid T Young. He has Curry range and can get to the rim and finish inside.
    44 last night and knocked down FTs, 16 of 19. Big 12 is a tough league, very impressive.

30. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2018 at 7:56 am

I gave Twin editor rights for all of 3 days on my blog before he abused the privilege and I yanked them. Room B led to the blogger code of conduct right? All i remember about room b was the pic of the guy with his dick up the tailpipe of a truck. Forgot about pickled gringo.

31. pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2018 at 8:08 am

Didn’t The Flap start in 2009? or 2008? BTW, I have heard from TedSpe. He sent me a wonderful Christmas card; we exchanged a few texts. He obliquely referred to some challenges in 2017, but I believe he is basically ok.

• wilcojoe said, on January 31, 2018 at 8:43 am

Pawlie, I enjoyed your article you posted ealier. It was very Hoppe(sh). By that I mean either the son (Nick) or his late father (Art). Both great writers for the SF Chronicle.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2018 at 11:23 am

THANKS SO MUCH.

• snarkk said, on January 31, 2018 at 9:16 am

Good news, re: Ted ….

32. zumiee said, on January 31, 2018 at 9:26 am

Oscar Gamble has passed away. He had a long baseball career, and is also remembered for his glorious hair in the 1970s.

• Flavor said, on January 31, 2018 at 10:02 am

@super70’s loved that guy, he’s got to be devastated.

33. zumiee said, on January 31, 2018 at 9:51 am

• sandog said, on January 31, 2018 at 9:56 am

RIP. I loved me some Oscar Gamble. Great hair, great name, loved watching him hit.

34. alleykat69 said, on January 31, 2018 at 11:02 am

Loved Oscar Gamble his fro reminded me of Link in the mod squad..
    RIP Oscar you will be missed…

35. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2018 at 12:35 pm

He may have had a nice ‘fro, but the original OG had nothing on his wife . . .

OGW

• alleykat69 said, on January 31, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Damm in not sure if I can get my sand wedge open up enough to pop out of that fro😃

36. xoot said, on January 31, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Not the most concise analysis of the CBA / dead FA market relationship, but not bad, especially from a player.

37. zumiee said, on January 31, 2018 at 4:04 pm

“Jon Morosi
    @jonmorosi
    Eric Hosmer’s camp has continued pushing for a contract of more than 7 years, source says.”

Yeah, good luck with that.

• snarkk said, on January 31, 2018 at 8:47 pm

7 years is very biblical….

38. Flavor said, on January 31, 2018 at 6:59 pm

agreed…..

• zumiee said, on January 31, 2018 at 9:02 pm

MLB is going to experiment with extra inning designated runners in Spring Training. One of the worst ideas ever.

• snarkk said, on February 1, 2018 at 9:31 am

This kind of stuff trivializes the game…