Saturday

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 3, 2018

Still bored. But still keeping it one hundo. Enjoy this video, it’s the funniest thing you will see all day. Watch till end…Tomorrow, Super Bowl chatter….

1. willedav said, on February 3, 2018 at 7:38 am

Column xoot linked to end of last thread is interesting, and the guy had another previous one about the number of teams that really have little hope to contend and haven’t done zip about it.

NL Central: Cubs Cards Brewers made significant off season moves and might not be done. Pirates response? sold off Cutch Cole and Harrison probably next. Reds? Dumped Cozart after .900 OPS super season and shopped CF. These teams don’t care about winning, just trying to save $$$ by paying kids instead of established vets.

Have to take closer look at boxscore, thx Flav. Asian leagues are still way into spam mususbi as staple food to be sold at tournaments…I can’t even smell the stuff without getting nauseated.

2. zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 10:06 am

It’s always a nice feature for a vehicle to have mopstick-proof windows.

3. zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 11:39 am

A few of the players and agents are trying to stir up anger about the sluggish market for free agents.
    Oh the drama. It’s riveting.

4. zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 11:41 am

Hosmer might have to settle for $100 million instead of $120 million. That’s an outrage.

5. zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Tom Verducci weighs in on the free agent situation:

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 12:56 pm

One of his key points:
      “The union lost the CBA negotiations because it was obsessed with “quality of life” issues, such as days off, empty seats on buses, and clubhouse chefs, and because many players railed against the idea of a worldwide draft—a huge red herring. The worldwide draft was a bluff; it’s too hard to get international communities and government agencies to cooperate on such a system. But when the owners essentially said, “Ok, you win, we’ll take the international draft off the table,” the union celebrated a Pyrrhic win: it “won” something that was never there and never would be there.

Economic issues? They took their eye off the ball, and the error is showing up on the scoreboard now that the intellect of front offices has risen to an all-time high.”

• Flavor said, on February 3, 2018 at 1:01 pm

that’s pretty funny actually.

• Macdog said, on February 3, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Good article. Zum, you said here a while back that SABR-savvy front offices are the main reason for this stagnant free-agent market, and this certainly validates your point.

Empty seats on buses?

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 2:05 pm

In Brian Kenny’s book he devotes a whole chapter to why teams shouldn’t sign big longterm free agent contracts.

A huge SABR wave crashed onto an unsuspecting MLB players union.

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 2:08 pm

Kenny’s been crowing on the MLB Network that team executives have been reading his book.
        And that might actually be true….

6. snarkk said, on February 3, 2018 at 1:41 pm

I wouldn’t have a problem with starters not making $30 million a year. Let the players make noises about a strike — end 2017 the average salary now in MLB — $ 4 million. Even with salaries insane, the owners aren’t hurting, except maybe a few. That’s why beers are $13 per, and tix for Scottsdale ST games are over $100…

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 1:51 pm

One of the realities in sports these days is that fewer teams are fully trying to win in a given season anymore. Tanking has worked for a few teams, and since tanking is CHEAP, it has a certain appeal for some owners, as long as team executives and owners can sell their fan-base on the idea. The Marlins group hasn’t communicated well with their fans, or even tried all that hard to communicate with them.

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 1:54 pm

The 2018 Giants will be a study in retro-thinking. Hey maybe it’ll work…….

• willedav said, on February 3, 2018 at 4:42 pm

No has zero to do with it. It’s a business model about making money–cost and expenses vs. profit. Salaries of players do not factor into price of ballpark food drink or tickets.

7. snarkk said, on February 3, 2018 at 2:04 pm

If you extend to SF that Verducci article zum linked, there is no logical reason in this market and current CBA to extend Bumgarner into some crazy expensive multi-year extension. It just doesn’t make sense. I don’t fee sorry for Bum one bit he’s underpaid. He had an agent, he didn’t have to agree to that deal. He got decent money guaranteed against the chance he could blow out his arm and be done forever. He gave up a couple of first FA years on his own, nobody forced him. Just like the players agreed to this luxury tax — them crying about it now as effectively a salary cap has no legs from my POV. As usual, the fans are stiffed with high price tickets and everything else. The fans’ answer to that is just don’t go to games, or minimize your attendance. I went to zero last season, but it doesn’t cost me much to listen to the radio games, or follow on the internet. At least not yet…

• Flavor said, on February 3, 2018 at 2:27 pm

odious take, but I like it.

• xoot said, on February 3, 2018 at 4:18 pm

The actual CBA negotiations must’ve been very complex. The only nuances I’m able to divine concern the a’s–mlb and the union ganged up on the a’s and said fire Wolf, immediately, and commit to a new park in Oakland, or we’re taking away your revenue share immediately. Agree to these terms, and we’ll phase your dole out over five years. We want your answer in the morning. And we know what choice the a’s made. Otherwise, it’s very tough to figure out how the CBA terms got hashed out. Maybe the owners didn’t realize how to game the CBT term until after the deal was done and they turned to the question of what do after the 2017 season.

8. Flavor said, on February 3, 2018 at 3:36 pm

T.O. made the HOF. Would have loved to have been there for those tears. That guy is a tears factory.

• snarkk said, on February 3, 2018 at 3:57 pm

He was a complicated personality, but a helluva receiver. Why it took ’til the 3rd try is pure sportswriter BS. At least the football HOF election process doesn’t go hypocrite on PEDs, with good reason. If they did, the modern wing of that HOF would be pretty empty. Besides, the NFL and its teams are actively in on the drug trade — Toradol, anyone?…

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 4:14 pm

I like how the NFL and NBA Hall of Fames do their thing without all the drama, self-importance, and controversy of baseball’s.

9. xoot said, on February 3, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Everyone who analyzes the situation is now onto the fact that the union negotiated a bad deal in the current CBA. Don’t lose sight of first principles, however–what the union really wanted was an end to the CBA, and the CBA does appear to say that the tax/cap will end forever at the end of the CBA terrm (2021). The union, I guess, just didn’t consider (or fully understand) the incentives its sunset provision injected into the short-term market.

“Collusion” just isn’t happening. As one example, the Giants have made significant moves to improve the team this offseason while strainiing to stay under the CBT threshold. How are you going to argue that they’re colluding with the teams that aren’t even close to the cap and also have made no moves to improve at all–or, in the case of the Pirates and the Marlins have made moves to recede?

10. snarkk said, on February 3, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Somebody correct me — I think the current CBA has minimum spending levels per team, so that teams on the league dole don’t end up banking all the money transfer. If so, and all teams end up meeting that basic spending requirement, collusion seems to me a hard sell…

11. djloo27 said, on February 3, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Imagine the endless reminiscing that must go on among Pirate and Reds fans in our age bracket…

• xoot said, on February 3, 2018 at 5:51 pm

And the recriminations. Latos / Posey, madbum generally

• snarkk said, on February 3, 2018 at 6:00 pm

Joe Morgan has turned into some kind of bitchy pull-up-the-HOF-ladder-I’ve-got-mine-holier-than-thou preacher in his latter days. Really, there are no PEDS users in the HOF already? I don’t even want to acknowledge him as a former Giant; I never really considered him anything other than a transient Red. The Giants have obviously decided to have not much to do with him, he’s back in the Reds fold…

• xoot said, on February 3, 2018 at 7:32 pm

If Morgan really wanted to do something good for the Hof he’d put his energy into campaigning for Jeff Kent

12. djloo27 said, on February 3, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Giants should’ve retired Bonds’ number last year around the 10 year anniversary of his record setting homer…

13. zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 6:27 pm

The Cavs are getting thrashed by the Rockets.

14. zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Trae Young of Univ. of Oklahoma….I’m onboard. Today was the first time I ever saw him play. He’s small, that’s going to be an issue, but he’s a lot of fun. He reminds me of Jason Williams with the Kings. Amazing passes, and streaky shooting. Also a certain amount of turnovers, and doesn’t play stellar defense. But, entertaining to watch. It’s what the Lakers thought they were getting with Ball, but didn’t really get.
    Young will have to add some weight for the NBA.

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 6:40 pm

He’s listed as 6’1″. I’m skeptical.

15. zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Cavs are getting booed by their fans. Cavs’ window has closed.

• snarkk said, on February 3, 2018 at 7:13 pm

They got their one championship. Good to go for another 60 years…

16. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on February 3, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Top Five Bay Area Media Beefs (Steve Berman-The Athletic)
    5) Greg Papa v Bob Fitzgerald
    4) Jim Kozimor v Ray Ratto
    3) Tim Kawakami v John Herrera
    2) Damon Bruce v Gary Radnich
    1) Ralph Barbieri v Brian Sabean

My # 1: Drew Remenda v Ray Ratto after a bitter Sharks loss
    “I am the Eggman, they are the Eggmen”
    “I am the Walrus, goo goo goo goo goo joob!”

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 8:23 pm

After the Giants finally won a championship in ’10, Barbieri seemed to lose interest in his radio job. He also had health issues. He obviously wasn’t doing much preparation for his radio show anymore, so KNBR fired him.
      He filed a lawsuit over his firing, claiming wrongful termination based on his illness, and won millions of dollars. He lives way off the radar now.

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on February 3, 2018 at 8:53 pm

He sued for age discrimination, Angela Aliota was his lawyer. Doubt he won millions though, they settled out of court.
        I heard him on 95.7 a couple of years ago. He carries around a steamer trunk and several oversized suitcases packed with every grudge he ever held. His beef with a female sportswriter and editor for The Chronicle is memorable. He was bitching about them devoting as much space to the Women’s NCAA Basketball Tournament as the men’s. Stanford was hosting it that year.

17. wilcojoe said, on February 3, 2018 at 9:07 pm

When I was either 17 or 18, which would have been ’93 or ’94, I remember sitting out in the newly installed bleachers past LF at the ‘Stick. It was a KNBR fan club day (remember team KNBR?) and several radio personalities were on hand. I remember Ralph coming down and sitting next to my buddy and I on the aisle of the bleachers early in the game. I can’t remember what was discussed but I just remember how cool it was that I was hanging out with “The Razor.” He must have sat and chatted with me for a good inning and a half before he had to leave and shake hands with the other listeners. Now that I think back on it, I truely wonder why he would have held conversation with a teenage boy as long as he did.

18. wilcojoe said, on February 3, 2018 at 9:15 pm

The only other KNBR personality that I remember seeing at the game was Cammy Blackstone. She was the morning traffic reporter at the time and I had a bit of a crush on her. That was until I finally saw what she looked like.

19. zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 9:43 pm

“Former CUMULUS Sports KNBR-A/SAN FRANCISCO host RALPH BARBIERI has settled his suit against the station for breach of contract and wrongful termination due to discrimination, according to a report by SAN FRANCISCO media reporter RICH LIEBERMAN.

A source close to BARBIERI’s attorney ANGELA ALIOTO said that BARBIERI will get $4 million in the settlement. BARBIERI had sued in JUNE 2012 over his dismissal, which followed by several months his being diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. He had been with the station for 28 years when he was fired.”

20. zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 9:45 pm

I’ll give Ralph this: he was an important part of KNBR’s transition to an all-sports station. He just wasn’t good at his job the last few years.

21. zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 9:48 pm

Having said that, I find KNBR almost entirely unlistenable anymore other than Giants games.
    The morning show has listenable guests sometimes. Marcus Thompson from The Athletic is a great guest discussing the NBA.

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on February 3, 2018 at 10:00 pm

Ralph grew tiresome and kept repeating himself.
      When Ratto was there, it was highly entertaining. Lund is pleasant enough but a dullard and a possibly a jinx, Tolbert needs to pair up with a curmudgeon. Ray Woodson leaving didn’t help either.
      Weekdays and Saturday mornings I listen to radio 6:00 AM to 7:00PM. Mostly streaming a great little station in Vermont for music, NPR for Fresh Air and news until David Brooks’ segment. Then stream MSNBC or listen to audio books.
      As bad as KNBR has become, it’s Shakespearean compared to 95.7.

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 10:06 pm

I’ve never even heard 95.7. I can’t get it in my car, and that’s when I do my only radio listening, which isn’t all that much anyway. I mostly listen to CDs while driving. Currently listening to Eliza Gilkyson’s “Paradise Hotel.” Excellent!

• xoot said, on February 3, 2018 at 10:16 pm

the Warriors games are broadcast on 95.7, iirc from my hours on the road last year

22. zumiee said, on February 3, 2018 at 10:15 pm

It’s too bad KNBR lost the Warrior games to 95.7. That was unfortunate.