We’re Number 5!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 7, 2018

I couldn’t care less about pre-season picks like this from Pecota, but here it is in case you do. Too many things change throughout the year to project how a team will do over the course of 162 with the guys they start with on Opening Day.

1. sandog said, on February 7, 2018 at 8:13 am

(re Ron Jeremy situation)
    Kid was not that embarrassed, partly because he is a pretty happy go lucky kid who goofs around a lot. He did try to blame it on one of his friends, which is the default excuse they almost always use when we confront them about inappropriate online stuff. “That wasn’t me–Fredo was using my Chromebook”

Contention for the Wild Card would be awesome.

I’m not one to get really fixated on the batting order, but I am curious who we end up putting in the lead-off spot.
    Twin used to have some strong opinions on batting order. Wasn’t one of his takes that the best hitter on the team should always bat second?

• willedav said, on February 7, 2018 at 8:20 am

He used to quote some publication, can’t remember if it was B Prospectus or what, on who should bat where.
      And yeah, I’m wondering who leads off too tho I don’t put much stock in value of that. If you have someone who can get on fine, but Giants in old days used to lead off with Bobby Bonds, who’d K 175 times but had pop and could run.

2. willedav said, on February 7, 2018 at 8:23 am

Sorry to hear about Porzingis. ACL injuries seem to occur at most innocuous times, players just doing normal everyday stuff. How many times has he dunked a basketball in his life without even trying hard?

• sandog said, on February 7, 2018 at 11:18 am

He kind of got tangled up with somebody on that dunk though–right? I thought he maybe even landed on the guys foot.
      For innocuous ACL tears, I remember Danny Manning, who I think was basically moving into rebounding position and started suddenly hopping around on one foot.
      Buddy of mine years ago tore his ACL and had to wear a big brace with all kinds of velcro straps on it. I used to be amused by the sight of him going around his house on crutches with one of those old bulky cordless phones strapped to the brace.

3. snarkk said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:23 am

Dubs may be suffering some mental and physical burnout. 3 straight years to the finals, every team up for you, trips to China, endorsement deal promos, etc. No excuses, just some reality. It’s hard to stay up for every game for 4 years in a row…

4. snarkk said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:40 am

If the players and owners are going to get into a pissing match as prelude to some sort of labor strife, at the place they are both in, in terms of being awash in money, neither side will find much sympathy from fans. If they are both stupid enough to repeat ’94, then good luck to them…

5. unca_chuck said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:41 am

Yeah, the Warriors looked pretty disinterested yesterday. The announcing crew (it was a PLAYERS ONLY broadcast team, woo hoo) rode them a bit for not getting up for this one after the beat-down OKC gave them before, but C Web did say that they’ve basically played 1.5 extra seasons on top of the regular seasons given all the playoff games these last 3 years.

6. xoot said, on February 7, 2018 at 10:01 am

I think “the book” touted on this website is the bible TF often cited. iirc, the best hitter’s slot was 3rd. Of course, that meant Pablo . . . .

• xoot said, on February 7, 2018 at 10:01 am

• sandog said, on February 7, 2018 at 11:11 am

Batting the best hitter 3rd is way too common and makes too much sense. I’m almost positive Twin used to passionately argue that the best hitter should always bat 2nd–which cracked me up.

• xoot said, on February 7, 2018 at 12:59 pm

as I recall some of the debates settled by “the book” weren’t real exciting or challenging–best hitter 3rd or 4th? closer in the 9th in a tie at home? on the road? etc. I still remember arguing the wisdom of battng Benji 7th. Things were different before 2010.

7. Flavor said, on February 7, 2018 at 10:58 am

Belt should bat leadoff. To me there isn’t even a decent second choice to him.

8. snarkk said, on February 7, 2018 at 11:14 am

That low to mid 80s wins projection is where I’m thinking is best case scenario before we see what’s what in ST. They have to be at least 10-12 wins better than last year….

9. zumiee said, on February 7, 2018 at 11:30 am

Oh the free agents vs. owners angst is all over the MLB Network these days. The players’ agents used to walk into negotiation meetings all cock-of-the-walk with binders of information on how groovy the players are, and now the owners come loaded for bear with binders full of devastating analytics. The agents got blown away in this round. They’re going to have to up their game.

10. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 7, 2018 at 11:35 am

F-ing ACLs. Often difficult to completely come back from, even for in-shape athletes. Completely blew out my left knee ACL back in ’97 playing in a softball league in the Presidio (playing 1B, hustling to beat the runner to the bag after fielding a slow roller). Fixed it with an ACL transplant but I was on the shelf for almost a year. I remember vaguely when Jerry Rice blew his out, what, early in a season?, maybe even pre-season, and he came back to play before the end of the season, which I just couldn’t believe… and then he immediately injured it again. It’s a pisser.

• Macdog said, on February 7, 2018 at 11:41 am

Rice’s injury was also in ’97. Bad year for knees.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 7, 2018 at 11:44 am

Ah, that explains why I was even aware of it…. Hey John, lovely weather here in NJ, huh….

• Macdog said, on February 7, 2018 at 12:32 pm

It is February, at least it’s only raining by me.

11. Macdog said, on February 7, 2018 at 12:43 pm

Yanks have acquired Russell Wilson — yes, that Russell Wilson — from the Rangers. I’ve already seen a tweet saying even the Yanks have a better QB than the Jets.

12. sfsarge said, on February 7, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Just catching up on some posts, SanDog didn’t know that you’re a teacher, nothing but respect brother that’s some tough sledding. I sat in my daughter’s 8th grade class a few years back, and I am just amazed that anyone learns anything. Kids had none respect and the teacher spent half the class trying to get them to be quiet. More power to you.

The exchange with Foles and Pedersen was awesome

And yes start the rosterbating

• sandog said, on February 7, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Thanks Sarge! To be precise, I’m actually a high school guidance counselor, but I used to teach at the middle school level so I too have a great respect for teachers these days!

• sfsarge said, on February 7, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Oh ok, that’s probably an even tougher job. Sorry bud, you’re probably not gonna be a rapper or a professional athlete. Do you have a backup plan?

• zumiee said, on February 7, 2018 at 5:19 pm

It makes it impossible to feel sorry for Bumgarner “only” making $12 million this season to play baseball.
        To Bumgarner’s credit, he never complains publicly about it. He seems to have a good perspective on it.

• djloo27 said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:11 pm

If I had you to guide me things might have turned out very differently.
        Bet those kids are crazy about you, Dog…

13. Macdog said, on February 7, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Chris Mullin and St. John’s with another upset. First Duke on Saturday (after an 11-game losing streak), and now No. 1 Villanova tonight.

• djloo27 said, on February 7, 2018 at 8:54 pm

That is fuckin’ monumental! Good for Mullin who would drink with anybody at Gallagher’s on Flatbush Avenue early-mid ’80’s. He was a sweet guy and a pleasant drunk. I was at the STJ-Georgetown game at MSG in ’85.
      Anybody here ever heard of the box and one?

• djloo27 said, on February 7, 2018 at 8:58 pm

Bet Willedav has…

• djloo27 said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Loved badass G-town and their undershirts…

14. Flavor said, on February 7, 2018 at 7:42 pm

that Cavs/Twolves games was one of the craziest basketball games I’ve ever seen.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 7, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Not sure if anybody’s seen the Quincy Jones interview that’s out there. He gets off some pretty good blasts. I’m just gonna leave this excerpt here. Lulz

What were your first impressions of the Beatles?
    That they were the worst musicians in the world. They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard. And Ringo? Don’t even talk about it. I remember once we were in the studio with George Martin, and RingoJones arranged a version of “Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing” for Starr’s 1970 solo debut album Sentimental Journey, which was produced by the Beatles’ frequent collaborator George Martin. The song, and album, are more than a bit gloopy. had taken three hours for a four-bar thing he was trying to fix on a song. He couldn’t get it. We said, “Mate, why don’t you get some lager and lime, some shepherd’s pie, and take an hour-and-a-half and relax a little bit.” So he did, and we called Ronnie Verrell, a jazz drummer. Ronnie came in for 15 minutes and tore it up. Ringo comes back and says, “George, can you play it back for me one more time?” So George did, and Ringo says, “That didn’t sound so bad.” And I said, “Yeah, motherfucker because it ain’t you.” Great guy, though.

16. djloo27 said, on February 7, 2018 at 8:56 pm

You can’t hate the Beatles just cause it’s 50 years later.
    It’s their fans who are a pain in the ass…

17. zumiee said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:18 pm

The Beatles never claimed to be great musicians, though they were. It’s the total package with them: songwriting, musicianship, and vocals.

• zumiee said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Simply the greatest rock band that ever was or ever will be. And whoever is #2 isn’t all that close.

• djloo27 said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:28 pm

and George Martin…

• zumiee said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:45 pm

Yeah, he was awesome. He doesn’t get enough credit. He was basically the 5th Beatle.

18. djloo27 said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Sad to hear about the passing of the great Dennis Edwards…

• djloo27 said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:36 pm

19. unca_chuck said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:42 pm

I’d put Jagger and Richards, and even the Toxic Twins near the Beatles as songwriters. Two of the worst live bands i ever saw tho. I’m sure they did a million great shows, but in the 70s, they were all FUBAR.

Love me do? I Wanna Hold Your Hand? Please.

• zumiee said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Those early joyous Beatles songs gave a huge lift to the nation after the Kennedy assassination. It was the beginning of what we think of as the ’60s.

• xoot said, on February 7, 2018 at 10:20 pm

wtf? The Beatles were a middling part of the 60s. In the USA the final push of what’s known as the Civil Rights movement was central; internationally, there were what leftists like to call the wars of national liberation, from Algeria to Viet Nam. One scholar of the period says the 60s ran from 1959 to 1973. That’s about what I remember.

• xoot said, on February 7, 2018 at 10:42 pm

If you have any interest in history you might check out that particular scholar, fredric Jameson

• djloo27 said, on February 7, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Didn’t care for Love Me Do – but if you were of a certain age “IWHYH” hit you hard.
      You gotta realize, Chuck, this was a different planet then…

20. unca_chuck said, on February 7, 2018 at 9:44 pm

For sheer songwriting power, look no further than The Gap Band.

• djloo27 said, on February 7, 2018 at 10:06 pm

I may look further, Chuckles…

21. zumiee said, on February 7, 2018 at 10:06 pm

The Quincy Jones interview is entertaining, but he’s also very pleased with himself.

22. zumiee said, on February 7, 2018 at 10:28 pm

I’m not really sure what an annoying Beatles fan is. Maybe I’m one and don’t know it, but I don’t go around talking about the Beatles all the time, or even much. I don’t know anybody that does.
    I would just say that, from an objective sense, the Beatles are hugely respected just by the sheer volume of Beatles books that come out on a yearly basis. That’s an indicator of something. By far, the most books about a U.S. president is Lincoln. That tells us something about Lincoln.
    A big part of my Beatles appreciation is trying to play the songs on guitar. It’s a kick trying to unravel what they did. Every song has something interesting in it. Well, maybe not “Love Me Do.” 🙂

• zumiee said, on February 7, 2018 at 10:32 pm

Another big hook for me is John’s voice. I have never gotten tired of hearing his vocals, even after all these years.

• zumiee said, on February 7, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Here’s one of his cool lesser-known solo songs: