The Olympics

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 9, 2018

I’ve been hearing murmurs about it so I finally googled “where and when are the Winter Olympics this year”. To my surprise, they start today. TODAY! That should be very exciting for some people. I am continuing to stick to my boycott of the Olympics, first prompted by San Dawg at least one, but possibly two, Olympics ago. The reason? No real reason. I guess I just don’t relate to any of the sports. Especially the winter nonsense. I still believe the Olympics are televised mostly for housewives who dig the 20 minute human interest story that precedes each 2 minute event.

My prediction is that North Korea does some crazy shit to disrupt something during this 3 week event. I’ll be in Reno for my 50th during the final week. Maybe I’ll find a way to bet on that….

__________________

Fanfest is this weekend! No, I’m not going. Neither is Kruk. He was on the radio yesterday with Murph and Mac who were trying to hype fanfest. Kruk buzz killed that by saying he wasn’t going. Said he had a cold and didn’t want to get anyone sick. lol. He had all winter to come up with a better excuse than that.

1. zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:37 am

“Housewives”? What is this, 1958?

• Flavor said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:56 am

i’ll take it my dig on human interest stories touched a nerve.

• zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 7:04 am

Those are indeed annoying, and the network has gotten the message, and trimmed them down a lot in recent Olympics.

2. zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:45 am

Btw- one of the unhappiest women in the U.S.:

3. zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:51 am

Bumgarner will be at Fanfest for the first time in a few years.

4. alleykat69 said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:56 am

It’s all about the curling competition baby! The intensity in the competitors eyes 👀 and the sweeping of the brooms lol to line up a winner in the circle ⭕️ just epic! Hell even Vernon Davis did it once though he didn’t get to the medal rounds lol 😂

5. zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 7:20 am

Melania’s dream….

6. willedav said, on February 9, 2018 at 7:21 am

I think co-op of Koreas is best thing to happen in long time and hopefully bodes well for peace there.

It’s too bad NHL backed off allowing players to play. I mean best from all over the world, esp Canada, aren’t allowed to take part? A Shark, defenseman M-E Vlasic, wanted to go but his lawyers talked him out it, telling him league might have kicked him out.

7. sandog said, on February 9, 2018 at 7:55 am

I have been looking forward to totally ignoring the Olympics once again.

• Flavor said, on February 9, 2018 at 9:32 am

that was the sign I needed. Thank you. With you.

8. willedav said, on February 9, 2018 at 8:17 am

reading blogger comments on MLBTR re: Davish/JD, one guy says, “I don’t even care where these guys sign, I just want baseball to start.” Yeah!

9. zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 8:53 am

OK, but what’s really more annoying…..the Olympics, or people that brag about how much they ignore the Olympics?
    🙂 🙂

• Flavor said, on February 9, 2018 at 9:32 am

i think the Olympics is far more prevalent, thus, more annoying.

10. snarkk said, on February 9, 2018 at 9:14 am

I’m OK with Olympics in a “meh” kind of way. I still think one of the most exciting sports moments in the fairly recent past was Franz Klammer’s gold medal downhill run in the ’76 Innsbruck olympics. The dude was on the edge the entire run. Definition of balls out sports. Looked like he was about to wipe out half a dozen times, but brought it home in his home country where skiing is basically the national sport, other than right wing politics…

• sandog said, on February 9, 2018 at 9:46 am

Yeah that was cool, though I was always more of an Ingemar Stenmark guy when I was a kid.

• alleykat69 said, on February 9, 2018 at 10:41 am

I was for the underdog “Eddie the flying Eagle 🦅 “
        Hell he even got a movie out of it which wasn’t bad..

11. Flavor said, on February 9, 2018 at 11:37 am

12. Macdog said, on February 9, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Giants sign Derek Holland to a minor-league deal. He was not very good last season.

• alleykat69 said, on February 9, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Might as well bring back Al Holland Who was pretty good back in the days..

13. unca_chuck said, on February 9, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Hey don’t forget the Mahre brothers Phil and Steve. Those guys were cool. As was Bill Johnson. He skied much like Klammer. On the razor’s edge most of the time. Saw him ski when the world cup came to Aspen in my ski bumming days living in a van down by the river. He was ahead by a full second when he crashed near the finish. Sad story around his attempted comeback and horrific injury. He died a coupe years ago./

Winter Olympics to me are head and shoulders better than the summer games. Too much corporate bullshit, care of the LA olympics, and care of Peter Ueberroth.

14. zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Romo gets a 2018 gig.

“Veteran reliever Sergio Romo and the Rays have agreed to a one-year Major League contract, a source confirmed to MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez. The club has not yet confirmed the deal, which is pending a physical.
    Romo began 2017 slowly by recording a 6.12 ERA in 25 innings for the Dodgers before being traded to the Rays on July 22. The 34-year-old dominated with Tampa Bay, going 2-0 with a 1.47 ERA in 30 2/3 frames.
    An All-Star with the Giants in 2013, Romo is 35-27 with a 2.69 ERA over 495 1/3 career innings. He is a three-time World Series champion, with all three titles coming during his nine seasons with San Francisco.
    Romo is likely to serve as the bridge to Tampa Bay closer Alex Colome.”

• alleykat69 said, on February 9, 2018 at 4:43 pm

Just hope the bridge doesn’t collapse..
      But I’m pulling for him,Romo will always be a good Giant…

15. unca_chuck said, on February 9, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Huh. Didn’t know he bounced back with the Rays.

16. Flavor said, on February 9, 2018 at 5:05 pm

• djloo27 said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Maybe he was trying to inspire the wife…

• Flavor said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:39 pm

lol! Solid gold AGAIN! (Twinner woulda hated this one)

• djloo27 said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Woulda crucified me. He was Cammie Blackstone’s only friend in the pre-Amy G days…

17. gianthead said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Have not checked in most of week and even with the free agents (has Dyson signed anywhere? At this rate he could sign for the minimum, but I think if his price is dropping and willing to take something like $3 mill, I would be up to giving him a 3 year deal thay gave him something $6 -$7 mill the following 2 years) and we may not agree on the word collusion.

5 years for JD Martinez at $125 million would make me say where the hell is the bottom line. But how often have we seen in the past, such as when the DBacks came out of nowhere to sign Greinke, another team jump on a player like Martinez to swoop in on a contentious situation like what is unfolding with Martinez and the Red Sox and if not try to up the offer at least go for something like 3 years and $90.

I call that situation if not collusion at least highly suspicious…and who cares if I think it is collusion or not but the baseball players certainly smell what the ownership is trying to do….

18. pawliekokonuts said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:38 pm

I can’t recall watching one second of the last 4 or 5 summer or winter Olympics.

• Flavor said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:40 pm

then you should join the boycott. If San Dawg or I see even one second of the Winter Olympics, even by accident, we have to text the other and apologize. That’s the text pact we made today.

• djloo27 said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:41 pm

I think they’re every 2 years now. Was much more of a novelty when they were every 4 years and coincided with Presidential election years…

• snarkk said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:52 pm

Still every 4. Winter and summer trade off every 2 years on the rota. The Olympic committee members can’t go more than a year without some bribes and paid for junkets and floozies…

19. snarkk said, on February 9, 2018 at 6:57 pm

In brew pub watching 4 dudes on MLB tv standing on a stage together just shooting shit on the Oejtani kid signed by angels. Looks totally dumb. Does this happen all the time on MLB TV?…

• zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 7:04 pm

There are a lot of good things on the MLB Network on a daily basis. Not everything they do is a winner, though. And I’m not thrilled to see Girardi added as a pundit. Just never dug his act for some reason.

• snarkk said, on February 9, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Does SF, if playing well, get some run on MLB TV or dissed in favor of east coast teams and LA?..

• zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 8:18 pm

I think the Giants have always gotten a fair shake from the MLB Network. I don’t see much bias in their shows.

• zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 8:21 pm

In their recent special show The Top 10 Starting Pitchers Right Now, they had Bum at #6 which I thought was very cool.

20. snarkk said, on February 9, 2018 at 7:28 pm

Name of the day, from pebble beach tourney, a pro golfer:
    Tyrone van Aswegen…

• zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 8:25 pm

We’ve all met a few Aswegens in our time.

21. willedav said, on February 9, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Thx for that link to Wilt as a Warrior. I barely remember those days tho I do recall Nate Thurmond as young guy on team before they traded wilt to Philly. I still think it is amazing wilt played the entire game, all 48 minutes running end to end as a post player, with no TV timeouts either. One season he did it for the entire 80 game schedule, every single minute/every single game.

22. snarkk said, on February 9, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Wilt is under-appreciated because he’s no longer around, and he was always under the shadow of Russell and the Celtics. If Wilt had a top supporting cast for a dozen years like Russel had, Wilt would have won a handful or more titles, too. In the twilight of his career in ’71-72 he was a critical piece of that legendary Lakers squad that won 33 straight and the title. He played in EVERY game of the 82 reg season games that year, averaged 15 PPG, nearly 19 boards, and 4.5 assists. And, played an average of 42 minutes a game, more than any other of the starters, none of whom averaged into the 40 min range. In his prime versus any modern day centers, he would have dominated most of them. Wilt at 28 v. Shaq at 28? No contest, Wilt with his strength and agility would have dealt on Shaq and frustrated him defensively.

Depending on what I read and the mood I’m in, my top 5 NBA players list is changeable. But, Wilt is always in there somewhere. So, tonight:

Kareem
    Jordan
    Wilt
    Oscar
    LeBron

• djloo27 said, on February 9, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Can’t even argue with that…

• snarkk said, on February 9, 2018 at 9:17 pm

You can probably argue with my second 5. But, it changes, too. Sometimes I put Kobe in here, he was a stud on defense. His ball hogging just turns me off on him, though. I’m not figuring in his off court issues, nor for anybody else, either. I’m trying to imagine a 7 game series between both of these top 5 squads. I didn’t pick the top 5 as a team or by position, just players. So, Wilt would have to play power forward, Kareem at center. A young Wilt could easily play a power forward. Series would be awesome, but I think Team 1 wins in 6 …

Logo
        Magic
        Karl Malone
        Bird
        Olajuwon

23. zumiee said, on February 9, 2018 at 9:54 pm

Wilt caught grief for winning “only” two NBA championships. It was pretty ridiculous.

24. sandog said, on February 10, 2018 at 7:22 am

I saw an interview wiith Wilt where they asked him his all time team. He said he went along with the prevailing view and picked Oscar and West at guards, but he strayed from some of the traditional forwards and went with Elvin Hayes and Rick Barry. As for center, he flashed a big smile and said “you’re looking at him!”