????????????

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 19, 2018

Eric Hosmer: 8 years, 144 million. Did I read that right? In this discount market I’m having trouble wrapping my brain around why anyone would pay Hosmer that type of scratch. That move reeks of a move just to make a move. “Look depleted and apathetic fanbase, we did something!”

I’d be interested in hearing from my main man on the San Diggity scene. What is the pulse of Padre Nation as it relates to this signing? Did it move the needle? Or are the fans ready to unleash hell on ownership? Is it still a *nation* or is it more of a *province*?

1. willedav said, on February 19, 2018 at 7:42 am

They still owe Myers $75mil thru 2022. If he is now a corner OF that means one of their young guys is on bench.
    Place in LU taken by Hosmer, at $20mil for each of first 5 yrs. Does add a bat, tho groundball heavy and inconsistent year to year, to a team that was dead last in many offensive categories.
    Myers hit 30 HRs/.790 OPS with .243 BA; rbis dropped by 20 from 2016. Pads did hit 189 bombs, tho still were last in NL for runs scored.

Seems they were only bidding vs. Royals, who I guess offered 7 yrs/$140 with no opt out, so Boras got extra year plus Hosmer option to leave after 5 when salary lessens. Weird move tho.

2. zumiee said, on February 19, 2018 at 9:04 am

The Padres wanted a clubhouse leader. They have aspirations to make a big step forward this year.
    The NL West is very tough, though.

3. sandog said, on February 19, 2018 at 9:10 am

Most San Diego sports fan are pretty casual. I bet many of them don’t even know who Hosmer is. I also think that when it comes to the Pads, they are pretty beaten down by so much bad ownership and management over the years. I don’t think that most of them even realize that they have an up and coming team with very good management and ownership these days.
    It does seem like an odd signing to me as I thought they were pretty well stocked as far as position players go.
    Their line-up is going to be solid though and an outfield of Myers, Margot, and Renfroe is impressive IMO.
    One sportswriter down here had an interesting take talking about how when the Pads brought in Wally Joyner years ago, he was a great teammate and had a strong influence on Ken Caminiti, who had an MVP year for them. Apparently Hosmer is known as a great teammate as well, and they are hoping his presence will have a positive influence on the team and Myers especially–who can be a bit high strung at times.

I completely avoided the NBA all star game as well. I’d rather watch the Olympics than that joke of a game. Curiosity got the best of me and I did check out Fergie’s anthem, and I personally thought it was very cool—one of the best I’ve ever seen. I liked the bluesy arrangement and I thought she sounded great.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2018 at 9:54 am

you liked Fergie’s anthem? Man, you are really towing the contrarian line with that one

• sandog said, on February 19, 2018 at 10:03 am

…and I’m not saying that to just be contrarian. I thought it was really well done.
        Changed up the arrangement, but sang it very well. I’m even down with the “lets play some basketball” shout afterward.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2018 at 11:06 am

I’m starting to see why we don’t see eye2eye on some of those ACDC songs….

4. Macdog said, on February 19, 2018 at 10:05 am

More new rules to speed up the game:

“Mound visits without a pitching change shall be limited to six (6) per team, per nine innings. For any extra-innings played, each Club shall be entitled to one additional non-pitching change mound visit per inning.”

There’s also new rules regarding shortening the time during pitching changes and the breaks between innings.

Still no pitch clock, so Gearrin is safe for now.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2018 at 10:11 am

Ha! You scooped me. 🙂

5. zumiee said, on February 19, 2018 at 10:10 am

MLB has delivered it’s pace-of-play rule changes. Mound visits limited to 6 per 9 inning game, not counting pitching change visits. 1 non-pitching change visit per each extra inning. There are some loopholes for injuries, and players cleaning spikes in wet conditions.
    No pitch clock. The players are being told to prove this year no pitch clock is necessary.
    Batter keeps a foot in the batter’s box. Pitchers don’t be a jerk like Guerrin.
    There’s some other stuff about trying to speed up the replay system and between-inning time, but I got pretty bored with reading it. Reading copious rules is pretty boring.

• Macdog said, on February 19, 2018 at 10:13 am

Ah, but you have a concise summary of it all, whereas I just did a lazy cut-and-paste.

6. Macdog said, on February 19, 2018 at 10:11 am

What constitutes a mound visit? Here goes:

2. Definition of Mound Visit. A manager or coach trip to the mound to meet with the pitcher shall constitute a visit. A player leaving his position to confer with the pitcher, including a pitcher leaving the mound to confer with another player, shall also constitute a mound visit, regardless of where the visit occurs or the length of the visit, except that the following shall not constitute mound visits:
    A. Discussions between pitchers and position player(s) that (i) occur between batters in the normal course of play and do not require either the position player(s) or the pitcher to relocate;
    B. Visits by position players to the mound to clean spikes in rainy conditions;
    C. Visits to the mound due to an injury or potential injury of the pitcher; and
    D. Visits to the mound after the announcement of an offensive substitution.

And there’s this:

3. Cross-Up in Signs. In the event a team has exhausted its allotment of mound visits in a game (or extra inning) and the home plate umpire determines that the catcher and pitcher did not have a shared understanding of the location or type of pitch that had been signaled by the catcher (otherwise referred to as a “cross-up”), the home plate umpire may, upon request of the catcher, allow the catcher to make a brief mound visit. Any mound visit resulting from a cross-up prior to a team exhausting its allotted number of visits shall count against a team’s total number of allotted mound visits.

Maybe this should be called the Brian McCann rule given all the mound visits he made in Game 7 of the World Series. Or maybe the Posada rule.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2018 at 10:20 am

One of the worst slow-the-game-down managers was Torre, who ironically is now an MLB headquarters executive.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2018 at 10:23 am

Those Yankee/Red Sox games during the Jeter years were unwatchable. Routinely 4+ hours to play a game with a score like 5-4.

7. zumiee said, on February 19, 2018 at 10:16 am

What’s especially irritating about Gearrin is he goes through a bunch of rituals before he even looks in for the sign. What’s up with that? Then he of course has a bunch of rituals after he gets the sign.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2018 at 10:34 am

The players need to put peer pressure on Gearrin. Tell him “Dude, guys like you are going to cause us to have a pitch clock.”

8. alleykat69 said, on February 19, 2018 at 10:49 am

After the manager leaves the mound and a dumbshit player goes over to bs about signs that should fall under the Donny 2 step rule and the pitcher has to come out!

• wilcojoe said, on February 19, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Kat, that’s actually a good, serious question. Would the SS walking back to the mound shortly after the coach heads back to the dugout constitue a second visit? Or is that all part of the same visit?

9. snarkk said, on February 19, 2018 at 12:15 pm

2A. What kind of visit (between batters) between pitcher and position player does not require them to “relocate”? They yell to each other across the diamond?…

10. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on February 19, 2018 at 12:34 pm

How to speed up the game, make it more interesting
    1) Computer called balls & strikes
    2) Wider, slightly higher strike zone, fewer takes, more balls put in play
    3) Giving and receiving signals via radio/ earpieces
    4) No stepping out of the batters box or off the rubber
    5) No more than three throws to first
    7) Fewer warm-up pitches

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on February 19, 2018 at 12:38 pm

6) Two minute National Anthem, or skip it altogether. Faster grounds crews

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2018 at 1:46 pm

I like them except #3. Not sure about that one.
        I would add putting a pressure reading chip in the bags and gloves of 1st, 2nd and 3rd basemen. There would be no need for instant replay vid review. The computer easily decides whether ball or cleats hit which thing first.
        They’ve used a computer and laser “eye” for years in tennis to call serves and balls in/out. It could easily be done, stopping these endless vid reviews that are close.
        I could easily do without the national anthem at all kinds of games and events…

• sandog said, on February 19, 2018 at 2:06 pm

I’m down with skipping the anthem.
        (Unless Fergie is singing it, of course)

11. snarkk said, on February 19, 2018 at 1:42 pm

No new rule needed to speed up pitches with nobody on base.
    There’s already a pitch clock in the MLB Rules. How the umpires are supposed to measure the time, IDK.
    It’s obviously never enforced…

MLB Rule 5.07c) (8.04) Pitcher Delays
    When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.”
    The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.
    The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

12. alleykat69 said, on February 19, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Let’s get the fans to speed it up too.
    Concession stands & vendors have 3to 4 minutes on every order taken and the fans have 2-3 minutes to eat their hotdog&slam a beer 🍺

13. alleykat69 said, on February 19, 2018 at 2:36 pm

JD Martinez 5/110 with the Redsoxs opt out after 2nd year..

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2018 at 2:49 pm

close to what they gave Pablo, right?

• alleykat69 said, on February 19, 2018 at 4:06 pm

Think 20 mil more.
        Thought Panda got the same contract as Pence 5/90 not positive though..

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2018 at 2:49 pm

There just aren’t a lot of open playoff spots this season. Shoe-ins are probably Yankees, Red Sox, Cleveland, Houston, Dodgers, Nats, and Cubs. That leaves 23 teams competing for 3 spots. Granted, some of those 23 are in full tank-mode this season.

14. Flavor said, on February 19, 2018 at 3:24 pm

i found another person who liked Fergie’s anthem. I am a huge Jen Tilly fan so I gotta give this one credit.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Fun fact: she does the voice for Joe’s wife on “Family Guy.” Joe is the wheelchair-bound policeman voiced by Patrick Warburton.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2018 at 5:03 pm

she was brilliant in one of my all time fav movies (Let it Ride) and she’s a very good poker player. She’s set for life, she inherited like half a billion from that Simpson’s exec who died a few years back (her ex husband).

15. sandog said, on February 19, 2018 at 4:59 pm

According to the ESPN article, Marvin Gaye’s version of the anthem at the NBA All Star game initially did not go over so well—and now it is viewed as this legendary, ground-breaking performance.
    Of course, part of that could be due to the fact that it was his last major appearance before getting shot and killed by his dad, of all people.
    I think time is going to show that Jen Tilly (who I had never heard of until now) are on the right side of this one.
    I’m gonna watch the performance again right now.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2018 at 5:08 pm

a couple of differences with those 2 anthems: 1) I couldn’t even understand a few complete lines in Fergie’s version. There were several points where she wasn’t even singing words. 2) the crowd was really into the Gaye anthem. The crowd for Fergie was either indifferent or laughing at her.

16. sandog said, on February 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm

Fun Fact: A good friend of mine grew up in Orange County and when he was in high school he used to have to drive his younger sister to her ice skating lessons at South Coast Plaza (a huge mall in OC). While he was hanging out passing the time during her lessons he befriended another guy his age who was doing the exact same thing for HIS younger sister. That other guy was Patrick Warburton.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2018 at 5:09 pm

love Puddy

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2018 at 5:12 pm

Very cool! Warburton is a funny comedic actor.

17. snarkk said, on February 19, 2018 at 7:06 pm

Timmeh supposedly has a major league guaranteed deal with somebody, per Brisbee. No word yet on whom.
    Pads and Marlins are leading the guessing game…

• sandog said, on February 19, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Good for him. It seems like we’re all fine with him continuing on elsewhere. I know I am, though I still think he is one of the greatest SF Giants ever.

18. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 19, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Interesting, when I sign in to the Flap on iPhone (but not on laptop), I first see 2 ads for websites: “Date Single Moms”, and “Meet Chinese Girls”. Demographic direct marketing at its best. Or worst. Oh come on, some of you must be curious about the “Meet Chinese Girls” site. Hey, I can help you with that… Fergie. Some really great stuff with Black Eyed Peas. “My humps, my humps… my lovely lady lumps”…. especially when watching and listening to asian females singing it in karaoke bars…. Listening to her anthem, I kept waiting for her to slip into a sort of Marilyn Monroe “happy birthday, mr. president” kind of thing. Who cares, it was for the NBA allstar game, one of the most meaningless big ticket events ever. But yeah, Fergie is just alright with me….

Still in Phoenix. Will try to get up to Scottsdale sometime before I leave a week from now, take some pics. And yeah Dawg, agree, Timmy was among the best ever.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2018 at 8:11 pm

this is what I see:
      “Occasionally, some of your visitors may see an advertisement here
      You can hide these ads completely by upgrading to one of our paid plans.
      UPGRADE NOW DISMISS MESSAGE”
      Sorry, they did this after I moved the site here. I’m already on a *paid plan* so on principal I’m not giving them any more dough than they already get (I think it’s about $75 a year, I’d have to look). For the most part, there are no ads here.

• James said, on February 19, 2018 at 9:44 pm

The ads should show up only when you’re not logged in. The ads I see are a little less piquant.

19. xoot said, on February 19, 2018 at 11:32 pm

I sometimes get an ad offering the true director’s cut of Pontecorvo’s great movie Burn! Htf gravatar focused that pitch I don’t know