Breaking Them Down

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 27, 2018

Interesting website that details all of our players and their projections (see below). Loo was on the last thread down on the pitching. I’m definitely not there yet. Somehow Smargerine got ranked as the 18th best SP last year and I’m assuming that must be a fantasy website that’s value-heavy on his K’s. Cueto is the obvious question mark but he’s a crafty bastard. Don’t put anything past guys like that. His problems were mostly related to his blisters, if he can manage those this year I expect a solid season from him. After that we really only need to have Blach or Stratton meet expectations and we’re good to go. I really believe that. And by “good to go” I mean realistically compete for the WC’s all season. I would absolutely take that after last year’s 98 loss meltdown.

Anyway, check out the link, lots of stuff in here to take in.

1. Flavor said, on February 27, 2018 at 6:03 am

look how much Fat Schwarber has changed his body, this is pretty incredible.

• willedav said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:15 am

In that 12-10 game vs. SF I think he stole 2 bags, pretty surprising.

2. blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2018 at 6:29 am

Great site . . . Thanks for sharing.

Though I’m not buying many of the numbers they are projecting for the roster. Examples . . .

Longoria 26; McCutchen 25; Belt 22; Pence 16; and Posey 17???? I’ll believe it when I see it. Frankly, I see maybe a bit above half of what this site is projecting for our position starters. Sheesh, we were ranked 30th in 2017 and we’re going to all of a sudden improve to middle of the pack? I don’t think so. Age, coupled with park factor, will keep the totals down again.

Plate appearances for ALL the starters are bogus. All of these guys, sans Panik, are over (or will be) 30. Yes, Longo, ‘Cutch, and Posey have a record of being injury free, but all of these numbers assume zero injuries.

Saves? Definitely don’t see Melanoma getting 33, nor 49 SOs in 54 innings. Smith starts the season on the DL, still rehabbing his TJ injury (appropriately), yet he’s going to come out guns blazing – throwing 3.29 ERA, 39 innings, 42 Ks? Uhh huh.

I think they nailed our pathetic bench, but not much else.

Conclusion? In my opinion, just about everything has to go right for a .500 season, much less a Wild Card slot.

• snarkk said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:01 am

Doomer …

3. willedav said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:13 am

F/G had column couple days ago about how good the Stros look that projected they might win over 100 again.
    Giants, meanwhile, were projected for 82, second in West and 5th NL behind LA Cubs Nats and Cards.

First cursory look at links to the one Flav posted showed Posey Belt Cutch at .850 OPS, Longo around .800 Pence Craw Panik close behind. Not outrageous, tho Pence seems most questionable; bombs to me less important than OB and slugging overall.

Pitching will have to hold up if SF can get run differential back to even.

4. Flavor said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:26 am

really, REALLY cool interview with Cory Gearrin just now on KNBR. Dude is funny, down to earth and kicked down this nugget I didn’t know about: He said so many hitters have changed their swings to try to golf sliders and breaking balls out that he’s been working with Buster on getting his balls UP in the zone more. Easy guy to root for after hearing that interview.

• alleykat69 said, on February 27, 2018 at 10:21 am

How long did it take Gearrin to deliver his answers?

• zumiee said, on February 27, 2018 at 11:52 am

5. Flavor said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:28 am

heard a stat yesterday: Rockets are 30-1 in games that Harden, Paul and Capella have all played in this year. That’s wild and if those 3 stay healthy the Dubs may have a problem this year…..

• willedav said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:58 am

Really like Capela, and yes GS has no one to defend a big and active post. Green is too small and Iguodala not same player he was few years ago. I think they could stay even with Harden and the annoying CP offensively but inside play another story.

One encouraging sign for NBA would be incoming big men that are athletic like Ayton and Bagley. As these guys mature and grow their skills alongside others like Embiid and A Davis they will add new dimension to all the emphasis on 3s and perimeter game.

6. zumiee said, on February 27, 2018 at 9:08 am’s prediction of the lineup that Bum will face on opening day. A lot of launch-angle in that lineup. (And maybe a juiced player or two, but that’s another topic….)
    1. Chris Taylor, CF
    2. Corey Seager, SS
    3. Justin Turner, 3B
    4. Cody Bellinger, 1B
    5. Yasiel Puig, RF
    6. Matt Kemp, LF
    7. Yasmani Grandal, C
    8. Logan Forsythe, 2B
    9. Clayton Kershaw, P

• Macdog said, on February 27, 2018 at 10:18 am

As for the Giants, why not start Hundley at C and Posey at 1B? Vs. Kershaw: Hundley .260 (13-50), Belt .059 (3-51).

7. snarkk said, on February 27, 2018 at 9:26 am

Too early yet in ST to see any trends , but still, I don’t see anything yet to indicate this team is more than a mid 80s win, 2nd WC team, at best. The NL West is going to be tough again, the Giants will have to make hay outside the division to get out of mid 80s wins. And, they have to get back to a home dominant record to around the .600 level. To me the Pen is key for that…

8. unca_chuck said, on February 27, 2018 at 9:41 am

I’m not down on the starters so much as I am the pen. I just don’t think they did enough. Dyson was a surprise among the turds, but are we really thinking Stricknyne is going to be different than he has proven himself? Okrap? Law looks to be ok, but Gearrin? Are they working on his molasses-like pace at all? Shit, even Mellonhead has questions around him, let alone the Omega Man, TFLRP.

• snarkk said, on February 27, 2018 at 9:57 am

Yeah, the Pen is a total question mark. Melancon and the Lefty coming off surgery alone is enough for concern. The golden days of the Core Four consistency made Bochy look like a genius…

• willedav said, on February 27, 2018 at 11:24 am

lot of pens are inconsistent. Rox guy Holland last year was lights out first half and then struggled and they didn’t re sign him. so did Cubs and Cards guys. I think Giants have good pieces to build on. Watson was a good get and Dyson did well last year. Maybe one of the kids, like Moronta, emerges…and vets regain health and effectiveness.

SPs have to set the tone though; too often last year they put team In too big a hole to dig out of. Giants should score more runs and even hit more HRs, but how well they hold the other teams down imo is going to be the key to season, esp on road.

9. alleykat69 said, on February 27, 2018 at 1:21 pm

Timmy to sign with the Rangers!
    Damm good luck with the heat come summer!!!

10. Macdog said, on February 27, 2018 at 1:21 pm

• sfsarge said, on February 27, 2018 at 3:53 pm

All the best to Timmah!

11. Macdog said, on February 27, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Big comeback! Kyle Jensen hit a grand slam to cap a 6-run 9th in Giants’ 14-12 win over D-Backs.

• snarkk said, on February 27, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Jensen– the latest Randy Elliot?…

12. Flavor said, on February 27, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Timmy is going to get destroyed in Texas. But I’m happy for him before he gets destroyed anyway.

• snarkk said, on February 27, 2018 at 5:02 pm

Texas must have given him a major league contract loaded with incentives. So if he gets crushed from the get go, they DFA him and don’t lose much $. I agree, I don’t see why he would otherwise go to Texas, it’s hotternhell down there, he might melt…

• blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Agree. Personally, I wish he would retire to maintain some semblance of his legacy. However, I also understand that when you love something a lot, it’s hard to give up. Would any of us give up a chance to play a game we love? I doubt it.

Timmy hasn’t been good since 2011, the last time he posted a sub 4.00 ERA. When he was with the Los Angeles Angels following another showcase tryout, he made nine starts and was the worst pitcher in the league. He pitched 38 innings, allowed 68 hits, including 11 home runs, posted a 9.16 ERA, and his 2.37 WHIP was the highest for a pitcher with at least 30 innings since 1997. This is why I don’t think it will turn out well for Timmy.

• sfsarge said, on February 27, 2018 at 5:14 pm

Well that sounds promising. I’d love for him to do well, but more realistically I’ll settle for not embarrassing himself.

13. zumiee said, on February 27, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Jensen is now sporting a groovy 2.600 OPS. Doing what he can to try to catch some attention.

14. zumiee said, on February 27, 2018 at 5:11 pm

The Giants play the Rangers this season, August 24-26. Will Timmy still be with the Rangers by then?

15. zumiee said, on February 27, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Belt 3-51 vs. Kershaw. Wow.
    And the Dodgers usually adjust their rotation so that Kershaw faces the Giants in a series.
    I would so like to see the Giants FINALLY just bust loose and score 5 or 6 runs off of him. You’d think they could do that just accidentally at least once.

• snarkk said, on February 27, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Bochy never tries anything different to bust up Kershaws concentration. And, at base case, the giants have had shitty hitting now for years…

16. djloo27 said, on February 27, 2018 at 6:46 pm

It feels extra important for the team to get off to a good start.
    Or maybe that’s just what I need to feel some optimism…

• Flavor said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:35 pm

no i totally agree with this. Get off to a good start, keep everyone healthy, see what happens. The problem with vets tho is that there is no sense of urgency if things start off slowly. So yeah, get off to a good start is nearly the most important thing this year.

17. wilcojoe said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:16 pm

Texas is probably the worst place Timmy could have gone. That must tell you how few offers he had. We get Rangers games in Houston, so it will be cool to see him, assuming he makes the club.

18. wilcojoe said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I feel like the Ron Wotus of Little League baseball. Last two seasons, I was the right hand man to my kids manager. I coached third base, made pitching changes and skippered the ship when he was away on business.

This year I have been demoted. My main duty will be keeping the pitch count. I don’t even get to sit in the dugout.

• Flavor said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:34 pm

lol, goddammit what fucking blowhard wannabee Billy Martin couldn’t see the talent he had in you? And if it were me I’d fudge the fucking shit out of the pitch count. My pitchers go at least 25 pitches longer than I report. They’ll thank me later for that…..

• xoot said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:57 pm

if anyone tried to fudge the pitch count by as much as one in Oakland screaming maniacs would’ve come out of the opposing dugout and out of the stands waving their own count notes. The coaching cabals are inevitable as the kids rise to the higher levels. If you’re lucky, your cabal will be competent. It’s all about the all star team, at the end of the regular season . . . .

19. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:40 pm

In SF now. Walked into my first ever legal ganja dispensary. What a trip. Like shopping for a fine wine. Gotta love California… 🙂

20. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 27, 2018 at 7:42 pm

And this from someone who knows where to go in Saigon to find a guy selling cigs on the street with an additional stash of weed priced ascendingly from VN pot, Cambodia pot, and Lao pot, the best….

21. zumiee said, on February 27, 2018 at 8:03 pm

With the tough April schedule, a good start for the Giants would be only a few games below .500.
    .500 or above in April would blow our minds.

22. willedav said, on February 27, 2018 at 8:04 pm

wow wild ending to Miami-Carolina…2 3s in last 4 seconds.

23. willedav said, on February 27, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Kershaw does have a pattern. Usually first or second pitch is fastball located on the black at the knees. No one including Belt swings at it and he’s ahead in the count. After that succession of killer fall off the table breaking balls in the dirt.
    If they shift on him this season as much as last year, hope Belt takes better advantage of wide open spaces on left side. Pitchers do still throw on outer half (and beyond) to him with shift on too. Gotta make em pay even if it’s only a bunt.

24. blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2018 at 8:22 pm

I hope this kid Miguel Gomez gets a fair, objective look. We already know what our existing bench can do, which in my opinion, is not much.

Apparently, Gomez started out as a catcher and has played first base, second base, and third base. Per what I’ve read, he has a decent arm but lacks the quickness or soft hands to impress at any of the infield positions; even first base is a stretch given his short stature.

Regardless, our bench stinks and if he can rake – than he’s better than what we have (talking about you Gorkys, Parker, Sandoval, et. al.).

25. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 27, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Blade, I agree with you on on Gomez. I thought he did well for himself last year. Not spectacular but he didn’t look totoally overmatched like Parker(who sucks) or some of the other call ups. Hard to see him pulling ahead of Tomlinson and breaking camp with the club but you never know.

26. snarkk said, on February 27, 2018 at 11:44 pm

I agree with blade, the giants have to think out of the box when it comes to the bench this season. Giants bench has stunk on ice the last couple years. Gomez looks like he can hit, question is the glove. That combo I like way better than the other way around. I’m sick of Giants supposedly with a good glove, but a bat like swiss cheese…