Crossing Over

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 1, 2018

I got tired of only ready 87 words of their articles on twitter….

Screenshot 2018-03-01 at 6.09.01 AM

I do feel bad for newspapers, having grown up learning how to read with them. I canceled my Chronicle subscription years ago after they published several hack jobs on Barry right after his career ended. I thought it was bullshit that they used him all those years for content and then turned on him—for more content. I wrote them a letter about it and actually got a response but it was mostly just trying to get me to re-up my subscription.

More recently (this year), the reason I don’t read newspapers is because I had to start using *readers* to read anything written on paper–newspapers, magazines, directions on cans/bags of food……publications like The Racing Form. That is extremely irritating so I read almost everything online these days.

Enter: The Athletic into my life this morning.

Any tips from you guys who already have it? Or just click on stuff and start reading?

What kind of sick bastard would make this glorious burger go away forever?

Screenshot 2018-03-01 at 4.35.47 PM

Final bite of an O burger. Powered these bad boys down for 40 years….

Screenshot 2018-03-01 at 4.36.09 PM

1. zumiee said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:10 am

I don’t subscribe to a newspaper, but I buy a few newspapers every week. Maybe for nostalgic reasons. The pulp paper in my hands is kind of comforting, I guess.
    I don’t buy the same newspaper all the time; I alternate between my local paper, or the SF Chronicle, or USA Today, or The NY Times if I’m at a Starbucks.
    But I don’t read them as thoroughly as I used to. Lots of skimming.
    I’m still a paper magazine reader. Smithsonian Magazine is one of my favorites. It’s got a nice variety to what it covers.
    I haven’t subscribed to anything online yet. The Athletic sounds like a great choice. Maybe I’ll take the plunge eventually.
    I’m still currently reading the Grant biography. Now up to Pg. 675. He’s finally president!
    The three baseball season preview magazines I bought have provided lots of entertaining reading.

• zumiee said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:12 am

I do have the MLB app At Bat, so technically that is a source of articles.

• zumiee said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:14 am

A lot of the At Bat articles are puff pieces, though.

2. sandog said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:20 am

I’ll repeat my earlier take that I’ve had The Athletic for a couple of months now. I think it has some good stuff on it and I’m enjoying it, but I don’t think it is incredibly awesome or anything like that. Not sure if I’ll renew when the time comes. Yes, the articles are longer and more polished—and that is a good thing. But the other side of that is that new content comes out pretty slowly.

3. unca_chuck said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:25 am

We get the Sunday Chronicle. Kinda of a Sunday morning thing to hang in bed and read the paper. Before going to the laptops of course.

4. willedav said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:29 am

Most annoying thing about any online sites are all the ads. F/G is the worst—once you clear one off 2 others pop up in the middle of a column. Any other newspaper sites are the same–I understand they are trying to add subscribers but…

Best thing about online, even the Chron (which I still get delivered to apt) is to read comments from bloggers, who often offer great insights. F/G is great about this, MLBTR often is too..
    For some reason cbssports stopped all the comments about their articles.

Hope The Athletic works out for those who have it. I’m not a big fan of Baggs so I’ll just follow along with whatever winds up here, which is already a lot. Fortunately there are lot of ways to get Giants news and everyone here is lot more interesting.

5. willedav said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:39 am

I wasn’t as down on Bochy last year as others, but I wonder about how Giants ml roster is going to get filled out. Since he’ll keep probably12 pitchers that only leaves 5 bench guys, one of whom has to be Hundley. Guys Bochy played last year like Gorks and Sandoval imo don’t belong on ml roster trying to contend. So there are 2 OF spots and 2 IF spots left.

One question I have on Sandoval is if he is batting RH at all during ST. If not then wtf. Who is paying him what is irrelevant. Last decent season here he hit15 bombs and .740 OPS, drop off from past seasons . Those numbers now seem unreachable…move on pls.

6. blade3colorado said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:58 am

Interesting analysis of the NL West Division off-season moves. Not this season, but perhaps the season after, the Padres will have a very good team in my opinion. They have 6 of MLB’s top 50 prospects. I really like their GM, who thinks outside the box.

Willie, I agree regarding Sandoval. No idea why he is on the roster.

• unca_chuck said, on March 1, 2018 at 11:22 am

Who replaces him on the bench? We got nothing in the cupboard. At least he’ll run into one once in a while. Given the caveat that he’s under orca weight.

• blade3colorado said, on March 1, 2018 at 11:32 am

You. Me. Anyone. Sandoval batted a buck fifty against lefties, with one bomb last season . . . .241 versus righties. Big fucking deal. His defense sucks too. Come on Chuck, Sandoval hasn’t been Sandoval since 2014.

7. unca_chuck said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:58 am

Got a bunch of friends saying go to the Oasis. It’s is closing on March 7th!

Such a pisser. Double cheese on a french – I musta had 2,000 of those over the years.

• alleykat69 said, on March 1, 2018 at 9:26 am

Lines around the corner at Oasis right now as all the old timers etc want to get their final burger nostalgia in.. I might try and make a drive by if it settle down somewhat (doubtful) and have my final fix.. Sure the Goose will be swamped after the O closes..

8. Flavor said, on March 1, 2018 at 8:05 am

Slater was the morning KNBR interview that I caught this morning. Polished guy as you would expect from Stanford. He said (about going to Stanford): “It was weird to be on a team with a bunch of guys who got perfect SAT scores…and they could also play baseball??” I love The Farm. Grew up going to games with my dad when I thought Darrin Nelson and Ken (Imperial) Margerum were the two best football players in the world. Back in the day, me and my dudes would just walk right into Stanford Stadium (directly across from my high school) and play football on their field. They’d let us play for 45 min or so before kicking us off. On rainy days, nobody cared. As I got older I was less of a fan but came to really appreciate what they do athletically. Who has those academic standards AND is the best overall athletic program in the country year in and year out? If you think I’m FOS on that claim, go google “The Director’s Cup” and see who wins that every year….
    I don’t like the stigma of the students and it’s true there is a lot of hubris there. But in terms of “student athletes” there is no greater school in the world, no easier teams to root for. At least for me.

• unca_chuck said, on March 1, 2018 at 11:24 am

Met Kenny M hanging out Lake Log back in the day. I don’t even know if that’s still there . . . Used to love going there when I worked down there in my early 20s.

• Flavor said, on March 1, 2018 at 11:29 am

He used to drink beers at Rossati’s EVERY AFTERNOON in the mid to late 90’s. He was there every day. lol

9. Flavor said, on March 1, 2018 at 8:40 am

Speaking of staples of my childhood, today is my last burger at The Oasis. Can’t believe that place is shutting down. That leaves The Goose and Rossati’s as my last two mainstays……

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 1, 2018 at 9:22 am

I caught an interview with TFLR Smith on KNBR this morning. Pretty boring segment. You’ll be shocked to hear that he likes to hunt. I always get a kick out of the number of MLB players that claim to be outdoors men. They’re pretty pampered so I always imagine stocked hunting grounds and a bunch of Cabella’s sponsored gear etc . Anyway, I assumed Flavor was doing a slow burn somewhere listening to Smith.

• Flavor said, on March 1, 2018 at 9:55 am

actually, was getting out of my car when he went on. I heard him say he’s on target to be ready May 1 and I turned the car off. Will believe that when I see it.

11. snarkk said, on March 1, 2018 at 9:24 am

According to Williamson on KNBR today, he changed his swing in the offseason. Used some 3rd party coach down in LA. Told the Giants after he arrived in ST, says everybody is on board. I’ll hand it to the guy, he must have figured he wasn’t getting it done, try something new. Going outside the org to do it says something, not sure what…

• willedav said, on March 1, 2018 at 10:01 am

same guy that worked with Dodgers Turner iirc. Um, Mac suddenly look a little more buffed?

Hey launch angle change/swing guru can’t hurt. I always liked this guy a little more than Parker. If Shaw and Slater (and Duggar) don’t make the cut for “more seasoning” and life in Sacto, guess Williamson and his potential RH pop off bench wouldn’t be worst alternative.

• xoot said, on March 1, 2018 at 11:36 am

there’s a meme of two side-by-side pics out there showing Williamson’s new high leg-lift start to his swing next to Justin Turner’s. Exactly the same.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 1, 2018 at 9:29 am

Orroyo around .400 to start off the spring. Duffy at .250 but is on the field.

• snarkk said, on March 1, 2018 at 10:44 am

In a coupla years, maybe sooner, arroyo for longoria isn’t going to look good, IMO. The kid will have equal leather, and 10 years of solid hitting ahead of him…

13. snarkk said, on March 1, 2018 at 9:56 am

Evans on KNBR, between the doublespeak, barring injury, Duggar in Sac and Blanco on the 25, book it…

14. willedav said, on March 1, 2018 at 10:17 am

From mid-80s on I drove delivery truck up and down bay area and far east as Vacaville for 15 yrs. But Sacramento confuses the F out of me.
    Last year b-ball tourney in Elk Grove close to hwy 5, got lost going back to hotel off Cal Expo which wound up being 30 minutes worth of scenic route for me and my asst. to get back to where should have been. And I’ve often stayed in surrounding area around Arden Mall hotels before.

so this year I got hotel in Elk Grove near hwy 99…and this weekend we’re playing way out off Hwy 50, even farther (and couple freeway exits) than hotel I got lost trying to find last year. Since I can get f-ed up in broad daylight easily enough, hoping this winter storm abates. Not surprisingly, asst going with wife to Sac (in brand new Prius) and they might head up to Reno afterward.

15. Flavor said, on March 1, 2018 at 10:56 am

Listening to Slater and then Kruk after him talking him up got me moderately into the idea of him making the 25 man roster……

16. unca_chuck said, on March 1, 2018 at 11:26 am

I’m still bummed over the Peanut Farm. Now the O?

• willedav said, on March 1, 2018 at 12:22 pm

value of real estate, esp as perceived by those who control it. The Beltramo gal saying how unfortunate no long term lease could be worked out, lol.

• alleykat69 said, on March 1, 2018 at 1:29 pm

Yeah Beltramo family is basically Italian Mafia that own a shitload of real estate in Menlo Park. They fight among themselves over control and who’s gonna get the biggest slice of the pie.,
        I believe they own the Dutch Goose as well..

17. alleykat69 said, on March 1, 2018 at 11:55 am

Yeah peanut farm was one of my main hangouts! I do pop into the Pioneer now and then, that place better not shutdown!!

18. zumiee said, on March 1, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Stratton pitched well today. It wasn’t the Angels’ A-lineup, but still good news.

19. Flavor said, on March 1, 2018 at 5:10 pm

20. Flavor said, on March 1, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Off season post: Loo, I was kicking around who my favorite horse of all time was with a buddy today and realized it’s Zenyatta, hands down. Despite winning 19 in a row I never really won any decent $$$ on her but she ran so many amazing races, she was so consistent and so dominant. She was the queen. This is probably my favorite of all, the call at the end was the best. If you get a chance to watch this, lemme know what you think. I get goosebumps every time I watch this (her 17th in a row)

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Lots sporting events have made me frustrated and angry over the years, only one made me cry as an adult. In the Spring and early Summer of 1975, Ruffian was a fixture on the front page of the NY Post, a beloved, beautiful, animal with serious sass and spirit.
      I’m ashamed to admit I bet on Foolish Pleasure that godawful day, a winning OTB ticket I didn’t have the heart to cash. After the race, a terrific thunderstorm rolled in drenching me, a fair punishment for my infidelity.
      Here she is on a better day in the race that made her a legend. Look for the jockey on the outside take a spill right out of the gate.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:56 pm

That’s a poetic gem of a heartbreaking story.

• Flavor said, on March 1, 2018 at 8:16 pm

agree with PK, this is probably your best post ever. Twin might have even given this one a thumbs up.

21. wilcojoe said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:06 pm

Newspapers and Burgers, two of my favorite topics. In High School we used to go to a great burger joint called Big D’s. It was located off of Silverado Trail in Napa. Sounds a lot like the places you guys are mentioning. CA is chalk full of great burger establishments. It’s a shame In N Out gets all the hype because every Bay Area suburb has at least one burger joint that blows the chain burger away. No other state does burgers like the Golden State.

22. pawliekokonuts said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:11 pm

I read The New Yorker on paper typically in the morning. My gf reads it cover to cover. When I get the NYT, I read it for more than a week. I used to like the Saturday best: briefer, more accomplishable compared to Sunday. Saturday Profile is always interesting. I used to do a thing with my own kids and my HS students: ask me any name on the front page; if I am wrong you get a dime. Wasn’t too hard after taking a glance. Then my kids starting throwing in the name of the article writer. But i always told them — and it’s true — read the front page of the New York Times — the paper — every day and you will know more than the average person.

23. wilcojoe said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:24 pm

I refuse to cancel my newspaper subscription because I am deathly afraid they will go under if I cancel. As if I am single handedly keeping the medium alive. During the week my papers pile up, because I rarely have the time.

Not sure if this is the case in most markets, but the only way to get a Saturday Houston Chronicle is to have a weekly home subscription. You can’t buy a Saturday paper at a newsstand or convenience store out here. Thus I am dropping $14 a week, to read a paper two days a week. Oh well, I guess there are worse ways to throw your money away.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 1, 2018 at 7:30 pm

I feel the same way, Joe. We need newspaper veteran Macdog to chime in.

• willedav said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:13 am

wow no Saturday? Even here not a lot of HS newspaper coverage except for elite private school programs like DeLaSalle or West Cal league. Have to go to MaxPreps to keep up with local b-ball.

24. willedav said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:09 am

Stanford played U of A tough last night but not all of their game seems to travel well. Best shooter Pickens only made 3 hoops, best inside guy Travis had only 1 rebound entire first half, and they got down by 9 and never got closer than 5. AZ had to be fired up after all the controversy over coach/players under scrutiny, plus they got best guard back.

League is tightly bunched after top 2 and Cards are at ASU next. Whomever loses early games in league tourney among all the half dozen teams in middle likely out of NCAA.

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 9:50 am

i’m betting against every single Pac 12 team that makes the tourney this year.

25. snarkk said, on March 2, 2018 at 8:49 am

The 64-team NCAA brackets should be seeded based on the FBI’s info on how much money each team’s players got from agents…

26. zumiee said, on March 2, 2018 at 9:29 am

Eric Stephen, who covers the Dodgers, is reporting some growing concern in the Dodger camp regarding Seager’s elbow in his throwing arm. He’s had pain in the elbow since last season, and he’s yet to play any defense in Spring Training this season. They may just shut him down all ST, and try to have him ready for opening day.
    That’s why it’s so hard to get to the World Series in back to back years. So many things have to go right two years in a row, and in baseball that’s so hard to do.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 2, 2018 at 12:07 pm

Heck, so many things have to go right just to get there once. Remember the Nats shutting down Strasburg 2012 with the rational that they’ll be back? I wonder if he (or other teammates) still burn over that decision.

27. Stan Shell said, on March 2, 2018 at 11:10 am

In the 60’s I lived in Menlo Park and Sunnyvale. Loved the Oasis, but now can’t remember where it was. Was it next door to Stanford? Rosatti’s was good, too. I think that was just west of Stanford. Correct? 60’s were a long time ago.

28. sandog said, on March 2, 2018 at 11:53 am

LOVE the picture of the burger and the “sick bastard” caption above it! Sounds like my kinda place.

Seager a little dinged up would be ok by me.

29. xoot said, on March 2, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Homer Bailey just grooved a FB to Kyle Jensen, who promptly hit it out of the park. Jensen’s OPS for the Spring now approaches 3.000.

30. xoot said, on March 2, 2018 at 12:44 pm

This is even more fun. Bumgarner perfect through 3 innings now against the Reds, with 5 strikeouts (including Duvall) and a pitch count of 18–every single pitch a strike. I don’t have the patience to follow an entire ST game on mlb gameday, but the first few innings of this one were ok.

• xoot said, on March 2, 2018 at 12:46 pm

sorry–4 SOs (including Duvall). I realized the math didn’t work after I posted.

• xoot said, on March 2, 2018 at 5:09 pm

jeezus, ST gameday sucks. Baggarly says Bumgarner threw 42 pitches during his three perfect innings. I think I’ll watch part of the game vs. the bums on Sunday just because a bunch of the regulars are supposed to start. Otherwise, this has been a strange ST–seems like most of the guys who’ve played are struggling to find a place on the 40.

31. unca_chuck said, on March 2, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Hard to get jazzed about what’s happening now in ST, but In n Out? Overrated as fuck.

Kirk’s, the O, the Goose, Canyon Inn in RC, George’s Giant burger in WC, Mooyah’s in WC (fricking best burger around), shit even 5 guys in Alamo, blow them away.

Don’t think I’ll make ot to the O for one last double-o cheeboogie, but I had my first burger there in 1970 after seeing Jim Plunkett beat U$C with my brother in law.

32. unca_chuck said, on March 2, 2018 at 2:30 pm

Holy fuck, that Zenyatta call is awesome!

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 5:10 pm

goosebumps, right? I’m gonna post her 19th win in a row too. It’s nearly as good.

33. Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 5:13 pm

this is a compilation of her 19 straight wins. I like it cause it’s just the stretch runs and the calls are great. #14 is where it starts to get good, her win in the BC Classic that day was still the best race I’ve ever seen–dead last in the richest race of them all, she beat the boys. Fast forward to near the end to see #19. “She’s gonna have to fly again!!!” gets me every time.

34. djloo27 said, on March 2, 2018 at 5:52 pm

Zenyatta #17 was truly spectacular and a great call. It’s a shame they never raced her in NY, which is why Rachel was so much bigger than Z back here. The race reminded me a lot of Forego’s famous ’76 Marlboro. For 5 years this horse was the center of my universe. I won’t bore you with any re-telling of it. Ruffian was a huge heartbreak, but the Go For Wand tragedy kept me away from the track for years. If you’ve never seen it, keep it that way. Trust me, you don’t want to…

• djloo27 said, on March 2, 2018 at 6:02 pm

If the film was clearer, you could see how many times Perret on HP looks back in pure terror of the the 1200 pound monster bearing down on him…

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Wow! What a race! Perret was looking around like a crack head

35. Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 6:22 pm

36. Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Still haven’t gotten over Z losing her final race (#20). I’ve watched that race a thousand times, it was really one of her better efforts considering how far back Smith took her. You can hear the agony in Trevor’s voice when she misses by a head. Everyone loved her out here (west coast) so so much….

• wilcojoe said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:13 pm

This is simply incredible. The call of that 17th win above might be one of the greatest calls in the history of sports. It does give you goosebumps. Similar to the Lon Simmons call of the epic Steve Young run against the Vikings. I could listen to that call a thousand times and the hair on my arms will stand on end.

• unca_chuck said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:16 pm

Yup! That’s nuts.

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:27 pm

exactly. You don’t even need to be a horse racing fan to get goosebumps from #14, 17 and 19

37. unca_chuck said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:06 pm

What I always wondered is why can’t you put a cast on a horse? These horses are worth millions and you’d think they’d be able to do something more than shoot them in the head.

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:11 pm

lol they don’t shoot them in the head anymore…. I don’t know why, maybe Loo does. There are a million tiny bones in the leg.. I’ve often wondered that myself though too

• unca_chuck said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:16 pm

They did when I was a kid. Is it lethal injections now?

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:25 pm

yes, I don’t know the actual process because I don’t watch but it’s some type of injection now

• zumiee said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:26 pm
  38. Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:37 pm

there’s a horse named Winx in Australia who has won 22 in a row. I think she’s going for 23 any day now. She never runs outside of Aus and the competition is below what it is in the states and elsewhere, but it’s still a cool streak. I get the replays sent to me after they run, there have been some good calls on her too but nothing like Zenyatta, at least for me…..

39. Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Winx has a similar running style to Z–comes from way back, often makes it interesting but always has something left in the tank. That’s why I think Z would have beaten RA. She simply always got there (except for #20). It’s really tragic they never ran against each other tho.

40. Flavor said, on March 2, 2018 at 8:04 pm

lmao this is fantastic! What fucking brain dead marketing man came up with the brilliant idea to trot the Dodgers out there to get this stupid ring with the Giants standing there watching? Classic and AWESOME! I can’t wait for this.

• djloo27 said, on March 2, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Pennants used to mean a lot more.
      Now it’s all or nothing…

• James said, on March 2, 2018 at 9:51 pm

Your team won more games than anybody else in the league. No shitty wild cards to introduce far greater randomness into the process.

• djloo27 said, on March 3, 2018 at 4:50 am

Bless you, James…

• blade3colorado said, on March 2, 2018 at 8:28 pm

This is gold . . . and you’re right about the “marketing man” who came up with this gem of an idea. An intellect rivaled only by garden tools.

• snarkk said, on March 2, 2018 at 9:46 pm

Posey, Bum, Panda and the coaches out to step on the dugout steps wearing their 3 WS champ rings with their hands prominently displayed over the dugout bar…

• zumiee said, on March 2, 2018 at 11:52 pm

Affeldt, wearing the three rings.

41. zumiee said, on March 2, 2018 at 11:54 pm

• djloo27 said, on March 3, 2018 at 4:53 am

If they make that in a poster, I’m in…

42. unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2018 at 9:36 am

I hope all the Giants with rings wear them.