Thursday!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 8, 2018

Giants are 4-7 in Cactus League games. Third from the bottom. All the bad teams have the worst spring records so far. Just saying.

Bum and *Big Spin* Stratton had 12 K’s in 6 innings yesterday. Not bad.

Belt’s hitting .421.

That’s it for the Spring Report.

Now about March Madness…..

1. Flavor said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:46 am

beautifully written (Levi Weaver) who was talking with Timmy about the 2010 World Series (his bro died Feb 22nd):
    “He starts to trail off a little, losing his train of thought. He pauses and stares into the distance for a beat, then his eyebrows raise as he pulls himself back into the moment from wherever he has gone.

Grief does this. It stands on the tracks and puts its hands up like some overzealous inspector, putting a halt to your train of thought, then oozing in like a bog-gremlin, not so much inspecting the brain’s cargo as sliming it with a mildew smell that you can’t ever fully get out. The engine sputters and reboots. You wait in the engineer’s seat until the power returns. Eyebrows raise, and the train soldiers on, now behind schedule from the interruption.”

• Flavor said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:48 am

“Lincecum idolized his older brother as the two grew up playing baseball. Before Tim, there was Sean, stockier and without the golden arm of his younger brother, but still in love with the game. Sean had run-ins with the law during his time living in Florida, but according to Tim, his brother spent the last part of his life coaching kids, wearing the number 44. Tim has only ever worn 55 on his back, but he says that won’t be the case in 2018. “The number behind that is, that was my brother’s number as he became a coach, and was around kids a lot, so… he was a big part of my life, and I don’t know, I just want to feel like I can carry him out there, and honor him, in a way, and have him close.”

• blade3colorado said, on March 8, 2018 at 8:23 am

Again, I hope that God, the universe, or whatever deity is out there – allows him to pitch well. That would be sweet . . .

2. blade3colorado said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:51 am

Melanoma pitched well yesterday, but you sure wouldn’t know it from the comments he made in this article below. Something’s up and to read this – it’s almost as if he is preparing fans for disappointment. Anyway, that’s my take. Of course, I have never liked the guy, so I’m biased. I rued the day the Giants signed him.

• Flavor said, on March 8, 2018 at 8:00 am

those comments are disheartening. Nobody predicted he would come to us broken but it seems like the possibility of him staying injured is a definite reality.

• snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 8:12 am

I read that, too. A guy knows when “he ain’t right”. This looks no bueno…

3. willedav said, on March 8, 2018 at 7:18 am

how to get into NIT:
    play in crummy league, lose a lot of games and then drop opener of Tourney to lower seed.

Watched UW do this with 2 dumb plays in OT vs. Oregon state. First, PG throws ball away in last 20 seconds when down 2, then with 10 seconds left and down 3 drives and scores layup but only leaves 3 seconds in game.
    they miss half court shot and lose by 3 to10 seed in league. N I T

Arizona st., wildly entertaining team that lost10 games in league, gives up 97 and loses 8-9 game. they led league in scoring, have bunch of guys to shoot 3s, bring Remy Martin off the bench and have ever volatile Bobby Hurley on the bench as Meltdown King coach, and drop the opener of Tourney after losing 4 of last 5 league games. N I T.

4. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 8:02 am

Hittin the SF-mariners tilt tonight here in Phoenix. Hope Pence plays, maybe I can get in a video. He’s brought a whole new meaning to “had a cupa coffee” in the bigs…

5. willedav said, on March 8, 2018 at 8:20 am

when Ned Colletti was here pimping his book “The Big Chair” which is euphemism for GM job that Dallas Green used when Colletti was working for him in Cubs FO, I thought it would be good read.
    Turns out 90% of book has zero to do with time in SF, and instead is about life with Cubs (hometown team for him) and Dodgers who lured him away from SF to take over during McCourt years.

However, toward end he reflects on bonds, with whom he developed warm friendship:
    “Barry never tested positive for steroids. He tested positive for being nonresponsive to media. He tested positive for not being a teammate that would lead the group hug. He tested positive for being unapproachable. He appeared arrogant, aloof, nasty and difficult. But if you earned his trust, and never violated it, he was loyal and kind. If you violated that trust, you would never be allowed anywhere near him.”

6. willedav said, on March 8, 2018 at 8:53 am

Colletti reiterated what others here have said, that he wondered about a lot of guys, but ultimately no one really knows who did what when. He noticed fluctuations, even from non stars, in contract years and wonders if they were just trying to make that one last good deal financially for themselves and family.

And also admits it was common knowledge that in the past ml clubhouses had 2 pots of coffee, known as leaded (with amphetamines) and unleaded.

• zumiee said, on March 8, 2018 at 9:00 am

Ron Darling, on the MLB Network, said “I played clean, but I don’t like to talk about it. It makes me feel ill to say it. How do people know if I’m lying or not?”

• willedav said, on March 8, 2018 at 9:40 am

Colletti’s said sometimes it was obvious that the player who signed after the (enhanced) contract year performance wasn’t the same guy next season.

7. zumiee said, on March 8, 2018 at 11:59 am

The Dodgers have won the last two NL Rookie of the Year awards, and that’s impressive; but they’ve also traded several of their prospects away to get pieces to make playoff runs. The other MLB teams seem to value Dodger prospects highly. My question is: how many of those Dodgers prospects traded to other teams have actually become good major leaguers yet? Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a single one. I mention this because Jose De Leon, the prospect the Dodgers traded to get Logan Forsythe, recently blew out his elbow, and will need Tommy John surgery. The minor leaguers the Dodgers traded to get Alex Wood totally fizzled out, and aren’t even in MLB organizations anymore. It makes me wonder how good the Dodgers are at inflating the value of their prospects to other teams. It seems like Sabean was good at that for a while, inflating Giants’ minor league value, in order to make Giant-friendly trades. But it seems like other teams eventually caught on, and now they are much more wary about the Giants. It doesn’t help that the Giants have had some weak drafts in recent years.

8. unca_chuck said, on March 8, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Yeah, that’s why Sabes drafted pitchers (mostly) exclusively. Better trade value. Still haven’t drafted an OFer worth a plug nickel in over 35
    years . . .

• zumiee said, on March 8, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Meanwhile the Blue Jays end up with Vlad Guerrero, Jr., who was left in a game today long enough to get four hits.

9. zumiee said, on March 8, 2018 at 3:15 pm

The Giants/Mariners game tonight (5:30 Pacific Time) is being broadcast on the MLB Network. I don’t know if there is a blackout for Nor. Cal. The MLB Network has unpredictable and often illogical blackout rules.

• snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 5:24 pm

I’m here at Peoria stadium about 10 rows up directly above the E in Mariners on their dugout roof. $10 for a big firestone 805 beer and 6.50 for a big brat loaded with kraut. A steal compared to ATT…

• alleykat69 said, on March 8, 2018 at 5:40 pm

Great combination Snarkk!
        And yeah a lot better bang for your buck on those prices!

10. Flavor said, on March 8, 2018 at 5:32 pm

this is such a great article. Read.

• blade3colorado said, on March 8, 2018 at 8:16 pm

One of the best (personal) profiles I have read in quite some time. Thanks for sharing.

11. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Just shook hands and talked with George Foster. Told him I was pissed when SF traded him to Reds, he said “well, worked for me”. No shit. And, that I had seen him play with the Fresno giants in A ball, and like Bobby Bonds, you can pretty much tell he was one of the kids that was going to make it. Gave me a fist pump on that. Dude has meat hooks for hands…

• Flavor said, on March 8, 2018 at 5:43 pm

how’d he look in person? I thought the other day, “that dude looks great for his age.”

• snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Dude looked great. Chiseled and shoulders like a damn chest o drawers. I’d put him in LF right now over Pence. Put it this way, if I’m in a bar fight, I want him on my side…

• Macdog said, on March 8, 2018 at 5:58 pm

He can probably still start in the Giants’ outfield.

• blade3colorado said, on March 8, 2018 at 8:03 pm

I remember reading a profile about him and one of the things the writer emphasized was his 31 inch waist. This was when he was with the Reds. I decided to Google that and I found this frickin’ NY Times column about him at at age 33 . . . almost 10 years removed from the article I read about him and HE STILL HAD A 31 INCH WAIST. What a physical specimen he was. This is still crystal clear in my mind.

Snarkk, has he gone to seed? Or does he still have the tapered physique?

12. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:04 pm

That AB right there shows why Specs needs to be on the 25. Fought off some crappy pitches, then went with one into RF for the knock …

13. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:13 pm

While Brown was putting on his gear El out and caught Cueto’s warmups. Promptly threw one back to Jonny that bounced 3 feet in front of the mound and Jonny gave him al look like WTF!?…

• snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:14 pm

El Presidente

• Flavor said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:29 pm

how’s Cueto look? Same? doughy? What’s Pablo look like?

• snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:37 pm

Cueto looks pretty sharp so far. Keeping the fastballs low. I like his change of pace on the windup and a couple of quick pitches. He’s humped up with high heat elevated to get a couple of strike outs swinging, just like that one there…

14. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:38 pm

Haven’t seen Panda…

15. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:40 pm

That was a rocket right at Specs…

16. alleykat69 said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:42 pm

I’m watching it on MLB live.
    Cueto’s has alittle dougboy going on,but he’s always been a big bone dude.He’s pitches 3 shutout innings so far looking sharp on 2 hits, might be it for him are 1 more. I’m interested in the next 3 guys pitching after him fighting for a spot..

• snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Cueto is behind a start from the rest of the starters. I think he looked pretty good for the three he was in. Command was decent for not many starts so far. He looked typically stocky to me, not too doughy. He’s got 3 weeks to drop a few …

17. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Gomez’ body shape and stance kinda remind me of Ray Ray…

18. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Holland has good stuff. I didn’t know he has such a slinging kind of motion…

19. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Seats here at Peoria about 85% full tonite. Nice stadium. Nice outdoor bar you can sit and watch the action, about 2/3 way out down the LF line…

• Flavor said, on March 8, 2018 at 7:14 pm

how soused is the crowd?

• snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Not much. Kinda cool tonight. Day game = more drinking. Duggar made a real nice running catch in CF earlier. I don’t see where Blanco has much, if any better leather than he does…

• Flavor said, on March 8, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Duggar looks like a ballplayer (just on how he looks) on tv. How about in person? Dusty used to say he could tell if a guy would be a big leaguer by how he walked, carried himself, etc. That’s old school.

20. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Jensen is a big dude. Guessing 6-5, 240. Kind of jumps at the pitch when swinging. Looks like Morse lite …

21. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Yeah, Duggar looks the part. Kind of compact body, very quick to first base, definitely has speed. Only question is can he hit for average. No question he can field the CF position…

22. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Holland was pretty impressive. Good command . They hit some shots in his second frame, but at people. The bookend innings he got through easily. I can see him making the squad. He can definitely field his position, that’s a plus..

23. alleykat69 said, on March 8, 2018 at 7:52 pm

Caps the Giants are wearing are so hideous looking,and the SF label looks like some cheesy plastic material they ironed on..

24. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 7:52 pm

Sheez , this new Seattle pitcher looks about 6′ 10″. Giants batter ; who the phuck is Jerry Sands?

25. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Shaw is a specimen, too. Big strappin’ boy. Swing looks a bit long, maybe they’re workin on that…

26. snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Fernandez was throwing some cheese right there. Friggin GAS! 98, 99. Wow…

27. alleykat69 said, on March 8, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Moronta must be related to Panda, “they have matching belly’s”

28. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 8, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Great to see your in-person reports, Tom, now kinda wishing I’d gotten out to a game while I was there….

• snarkk said, on March 8, 2018 at 9:09 pm

Next year!!…

29. zumiee said, on March 8, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Jerry Sands was a big prospect many years ago for some other organization. His career never really took off.

30. zumiee said, on March 8, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Moustakis signs for 1 year/5.5 million. Ouch.

• blade3colorado said, on March 8, 2018 at 9:25 pm

I was never impressed with that guy. Always good for a SO. One year wonder last season.

• zumiee said, on March 8, 2018 at 9:29 pm

I missed that there’s a $15 million player option for a second year. So, we’ll call it 2 years/20 million. Still underwhelming.

31. sandog said, on March 8, 2018 at 9:42 pm

I was afraid Moustakis was gonna end up with the Pads, so back to KC is fine by me. That is wild that he had to take that deal though.
    Snarkk chatting up George Foster is pretty cool. Any idea why he was at the game? Please don’t tell me he is another Giants ambassador Baer dreamed up who hit 10 of his 300 homers with the Giants and can serve to remind of us of the worst trade in team history!