Von Joshua and Shoptaw’k With Daniel

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 17, 2018

What I have learned about our good friend San Dawg: Do not challenge his knowledge of 1970’s Giants players. I asked him point blank what Von Joshua’s career batting average was. He was reflective for a moment. Then said “.273”.

That quiet, knowing wisdom earned him a free dinner. This dinner:

Screenshot 2018-03-17 at 7.37.06 AM

Some of you locals should know where those bad boys came from…..

Our other good friend, Daniel, has uploaded this season’s “Playing Pepper” series for the Giants. Besides myself, he interviewed 2 other Giants blog writers. I enjoyed reading their responses and hope you guys take the time to check out this link. Daniel says he will be around on Monday to kick it around with everyone.

1. willedav said, on March 17, 2018 at 8:27 am

Good read, thx. Loved your answers too. Other guys are little weird and definitely not in your league.
    Claiming Giants have zero hope from Farm for several years I don’t get.
    Farm has provided a lot of good pieces for SF during WS run years and other teams fill voids via trades too. Other than Opie most of Dodger rotation was brought in from outside, plus Turner and Grandal too.

I’m sure Cards, who have had great farm system for years, still disappointed at not making playoffs again last year.
    And some of the supposed best farm systems in baseball belong to teams like Braves White Sox and Padres, none of whom are contending this year. Props to them for rebuild plans but their fans are still waiting for the major league team on the field to get to .500 and have been for awhile.

2. unca_chuck said, on March 17, 2018 at 9:13 am

Yeah, saying the Giants suddenly ‘neglected’ the farm is a stupid sentiment. Because it was the same guys who built the team in the first place. The home grown infield and the home grown SPs.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 17, 2018 at 9:54 am

Nice responses. Those other guys are doomers and try way to hard to be funny.

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on March 17, 2018 at 10:11 am

Brevity is the soul of wit.
      Doug’s answers were good. Richard’s are why I hate reading sports fan blogs. He’s like listening to Salty on KNBR, but without the hookers in Vegas stories and pushback from Tolbert.

• Flavor said, on March 17, 2018 at 10:28 am

i missed that “vegas hookers” segment with Salty. Heard he was bragging about all the babes he’s nailed in Vegas over the years. Was that the gist of it?

4. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on March 17, 2018 at 10:25 am

“but it again is an even year and while that didn’t quite work out in 2016”
    I disagree, it did work out.
    2016 was highly entertaining. If you shut the tape off after the 8th inning of game four against the Cubs, it was one degree of separation from perfect.
    As for this year, I’m on the fence at 81 wins. In fact I’m predicting every team in the NL except the Pirates and Marlins goes 81-81. Last season was the year of the super teams, this year, it’ll be home run derby.

• djloo27 said, on March 17, 2018 at 5:22 pm

The 2016 WC game is my greatest in person baseball memory. I had the perfect angle of Gillaspie’s bomb…

5. zumiee said, on March 17, 2018 at 10:41 am

Nice job by everyone on their answers at Daniel’s blog, IMO. I disagree, though, with the guy who said the Giants just got lucky in ’14.
    Drafting Panik in the first round wasn’t just luck. And there were some other savvy moves. Sure all World Series champions need breaks to go their way. All baseball fans would agree with that. And, as we’ve said on the Flap before, prior to ’10 the Giants had spent 56 years not catching the big breaks. We were due.

6. wilcojoe said, on March 17, 2018 at 1:41 pm

A couple Awful, Awful’s from The Nugget in Reno. That’s good eating right there.

7. Macdog said, on March 17, 2018 at 2:19 pm

Posey hit a HR today.

8. zumiee said, on March 17, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Giants/A’s game is on the MLB Network later today, depending on blackout rules.

9. zumiee said, on March 17, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Reds scored 4 off of Stratton,

• snarkk said, on March 17, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Looks like the last 2 were inherited and let in by the reliever, Valdez. Valdez?…

10. zumiee said, on March 17, 2018 at 4:04 pm

Giants/A’s game is also on local Nor Cal NBC channels. Channel 31 in my area.

11. zumiee said, on March 17, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Wow, nice St. Patty’s unis for the Giants; especially cool socks.

• zumiee said, on March 17, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Blach’s got the high socks going.

12. zumiee said, on March 17, 2018 at 4:15 pm

A’s score 4 runs off Blach in the first.
    Blerp.

• zumiee said, on March 17, 2018 at 4:16 pm

The socks didn’t help.

13. xoot said, on March 17, 2018 at 4:23 pm

well Buffalo got bulldozed by big blue. The Giants St. Paddy’s Day uniforms look ridiculous but it’s ST so wtf cares. Belt draws a walk. He’s in mid-season form.

• xoot said, on March 17, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Giants were 3d highest in mlb last season in BBs, and by far the lowest in SOs. Their BB/SO ratio was a thing of beauty. 😉

• xoot said, on March 17, 2018 at 4:32 pm

oh, shit, I was looking at 2016

• xoot said, on March 17, 2018 at 4:33 pm

with Belt out of the LU, the BBs plummeted. SOs were still very low, however, in 2017

14. snarkk said, on March 17, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Do those burgers / fries come with a cardiologist’s business card?…

• Flavor said, on March 17, 2018 at 7:53 pm

lol, Tonight we had a NY steak and a pork chop.

• djloo27 said, on March 17, 2018 at 9:01 pm

You guys having fun?

• wilcojoe said, on March 17, 2018 at 9:41 pm

You guys hit the Gentlemens Club yet? Hands down, the most underrated strip club in the country. At least it was 15 years ago, the last time I went.

15. zumiee said, on March 17, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Nice bunt hit by Duggar.

16. snarkk said, on March 17, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Yeah, it’s ST.
    But, other that Bum and Cueto, I’m not diggin’ this rotation…

17. sandog said, on March 18, 2018 at 2:12 am

Having great fun Loo!
    @Wilco-no stripclub, though it was seriously considered.
    Yes, i somehow pulled an exacta out of my ass on Von Joshua trivia, though I must admit I butchered several Gary Matthews related trivia questions before that.
    Flavor won $700 playing video poker and we both witnessed a man retching in the URINAL at the Silver Legacy–which was pretty awesome.
    Good night Flappers from the classy Sands Regency Reno!

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2018 at 3:57 am

fucking Michigan, man….

• Macdog said, on March 18, 2018 at 9:09 am

That Houston coach should be fired for not having someone guard the inbound passer on the final play.

• willedav said, on March 18, 2018 at 9:27 am

or as Martin said, take away that first pass and make him come back to the ball/dribble opposite direction.

Wow Loyola Chi hasn’t been this good since days they beat Oscar early ’60s.

• wilcojoe said, on March 18, 2018 at 8:22 am

Sands Regency? Damn, you guys are hardcore. Do the beds still vibrate?

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2018 at 8:25 am

Lol, San dawg stayed there. I always stay at my buddy’s. Very nice place. I can’t stay in casinos.

18. willedav said, on March 18, 2018 at 9:31 am

Missed FTs so often come back to haunt. Guys spend hours working on their handles and btw legs crossovers and shooting 25 footers. You’ve got an uncontested 15 footer from straight away and all the time in world to shoot it. Arrghh

19. willedav said, on March 18, 2018 at 11:30 am

Loo’s Purdues onto 16. Good looking team, maybe C will be OK by next week game vs. Tex Tech.

20. Macdog said, on March 18, 2018 at 11:32 am

Good win for Loo’s Purdue, now playing without big man Haas but did just enough to beat Butler.

21. zumiee said, on March 18, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Pence, HR.

22. zumiee said, on March 18, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Fernandez is an interesting case. A pitcher with some intriguing raw talent that needs refining. But he’s a Rule 5 acquisition who has to make the Giants’ major league roster or he automatically goes back to the D-Backs organization.

• snarkk said, on March 18, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Gyros can trade for him. I aw him, he has no idea where his breaking stuff goes. But, he’s only 22. Big arm…

23. Macdog said, on March 18, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Shooting 17 for 66 ain’t gonna get it done for Sparty.

24. Flavor said, on March 18, 2018 at 3:18 pm

here’s the Giants 40 man. Seems like we wouldn’t miss several of those guys to find a spot for Fernandez….

• snarkk said, on March 18, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Rockies couldn’t protect Fernandez, tells U how many good pitchers they have in their system…

• alleykat69 said, on March 18, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Yeah their are some useless 40 man spots for sure..
      Unfortunately Fernandez has to be on the 25 man starting roster all year is how I read it right? Are go back to Arizona..

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2018 at 4:13 pm

you’re right, it’s the 25 not the 40. Can’t imagine there is a place for him on the 25

• snarkk said, on March 18, 2018 at 5:46 pm

He has to be on the 25 of SF. Not going to happen. So, the only way is to trade for him. Or, somebody said on the Lurie show, why not trade him to some other team for something, and that team has to keep him on THEIR 25, or he goes back to the Rocks. Apparently, that could work…

25. Macdog said, on March 18, 2018 at 3:41 pm

MadBum HR today.

26. zumiee said, on March 18, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Giants are having fun today vs. the Rockies.

27. Macdog said, on March 18, 2018 at 5:16 pm

Are they going crazy in Reno?

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2018 at 5:30 pm

i left this morning. SD is still there, I am POSITIVE they are going crazy. They were out of their minds when they won the game on Friday.

28. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2018 at 5:32 pm

speaking of burgers, nothing beats the burgers at the westin in Reston, Va.

burger

But seriously, it wasn’t bad.

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2018 at 5:57 pm

that lettuce has seen better days.

29. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2018 at 5:34 pm

The pisser is I was watching the Nevada game in mroom, but went down to the bar to get something to eat and they were showing the Cincy/Auburn game so I missed the 2nd half of the Nev game. Unreal, they were down 20 when I last saw it.

• Macdog said, on March 18, 2018 at 5:52 pm

Yeah, it was as much as 22.

30. zumiee said, on March 18, 2018 at 6:05 pm

The Dodgers are trying to trade Trayce Thompson because they’re probably going to lose him anyway; he’s out of options.
    Giants could use him, but there won’t be a Giants/Dodgers trade. But wouldn’t the Giants get a great chance to claim him on waivers anyway because of last year’s lousy record?
    He would be a nice reserve outfielder.

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm

seems like should be able to find a trade partner for him.

31. zumiee said, on March 18, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Speaking of the Dodgers, their loss of the World Series last year gives them 13 lost World Series to the Giants 12.
    Giants 8-12
    Dodgers 6-13
    I think the Cards are 11-8, and the Yankees 27-13.

32. zumiee said, on March 18, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Lincecum is doing some throwing, but he hasn’t pitched in a game for Texas yet.

33. blade3colorado said, on March 18, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Jorge Polanco of the Twins got suspended for 80 games due to PEDs. Adrianza now goes up the Twins food chain hierarchy. Polanco’s statement is hilarious . . .

“Today, I have regretfully accepted my 80-game suspension for testing positive for Stanozolol,” Polanco said in a statement. “To be clear, I did not intentionally consume this steroid. I now know, however, that my intention alone is not a good enough excuse, and I will pay the price for my error in judgment. The substance that I requested from my athletic trainer in the Dominican Republic and consented to take was a combination of vitamin B12 and an iron supplement, something that is not unusual or illegal for professional athletes to take. Unfortunately, what I was given was not that supplement, and I take full responsibility for what is in my body.”

Maybe next time he’ll go to Costco.

• zumiee said, on March 18, 2018 at 7:53 pm

It’s amazing how none of these baseball players knowingly take steroids.

34. willedav said, on March 18, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Seminoles with awesome comeback.

• willedav said, on March 18, 2018 at 8:11 pm

and as the TV guy said, “another 1 (seed) is done.” Meltdown by Xavier, terrible last possessions.

35. zumiee said, on March 18, 2018 at 8:15 pm

I saw some of the women’s game today, South Carolina’s victory over Virginia. A’ja Wilson is one of the great women players of all time.
    SC are the defending champs. It was cool that someone besides UConn won it last year.

36. snarkk said, on March 18, 2018 at 8:39 pm

None of the ‘roiders ever knowingly took ‘roids.
    It was always a misunderstanding.
    I just came back from a Spanish wine tasting event at a local wine shop.
    I thought they were planning to taste all sorts of Spanish artesian bottled waters.
    But it turned out, all of the bottles had fermented grape juice in them from Rioja, Duero, Toro, other regions.
    No lo sabía…