A Gift

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 27, 2018

Baseball is about to start again. The time of year when everything becomes exciting again. People are moving a little faster. The days are warmer and longer. The year has finally awakened. Energy is happening!

And because of that, when I received a large, heavily taped package in the mail from Loo, I figured I was about to open up some type of baseball related keepsake. I was wrong. After cutting through 6 inches thick of tape I unwrapped this beauty:

Screenshot 2018-03-26 at 7.53.54 PM

Many of you could care less about horse racing but it’s part of me. Zenyatta is my favorite racehorse of all time and Loo, remembering this and my 50th birthday, sent me a framed picture of her winning the 2009 Breeders Cup Classic, the day she beat 11 of the best boys the world had to offer, atop the past performances of all 20 of her races.

I just sat there staring at it for like 2 minutes. My daughter is home from Costa Rica, we were about to sit down to the first dinner we’ve had together in months, and she was like “Daddy, come on, dinner…” but I just kept staring “hold on, Katie, hold on.”

So with the sun going down I decided to have her snap a pic of me on the deck with the California western hills behind me:

Screenshot 2018-03-26 at 7.41.25 PM

There are all kinds of love in the world and one of them I have is for the Flap community. You guys never cease to amaze me and I can’t believe we’ve kept this place going for a solid decade. Friendships made, world series trophies won, people come and go, sometimes people go forever, but this place stays rock solid strong with some of the best Giants fans in the world.

Go do something nice for someone today and surprise them with something that will move them. It’s one of the most powerful things you can do in your life…..

I can’t promise this will be the last time I post this. Even if you don’t know a thing about horse racing I defy you to watch win #14 (starts at the 6:29 mark, this is the Breeders Cup Classic she won, in the picture Loo sent me she’s crossing the finish line), #17 (the best call I’ve ever heard) and #19 (makes me cry every time I watch it) and not be inspired to go out and do something rad today…..

Loo, I was so excited last night I tweeted a pic of your photo to Vic Stauffer, the guy who calls win #17 and win #19 (among others) and he tweeted this back to me:

Anyway, yesterday made my day. That’s all I have to say….

1. wilcojoe said, on March 27, 2018 at 6:17 am

Everything about this post is awesome.

2. blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2018 at 6:36 am

Awesome post on so many levels. Although I’ve only been to the track maybe a half dozen times, I have friends who are practically “religious” about horse racing. Similar to you probably, they’ve told me it has little to do with the gambling (although, they love winning money at the track). According to one friend – I’m paraphrasing – he said, “First off – it’s affordable . . . It doesn’t cost much to go to the track. It’s also accessible, meaning that it’s fairly easy to meet and chat up the trainers, jockeys, owners – all are, by-and-large, available to talk to fans. You also get to see the horses up close. Try doing that with Posey, Montana, Curry, etc. Insofar as the horses, there is nothing like a jockey and a horse moving as one unit, busting out of the gate with tremendous power and pounding past us to the finish line. Pure joy.”

Regarding gambling – In Vegas, you’re playing against the house, and the odds are stacked against you. At the racetrack, you play a role in your own success or failure. You are playing with and against your fellow gamblers.

Yeah, the communal nature of the Flap is cool. We frequently disagree, but that doesn’t take away from the friendship – both here and away from here – most of us have experienced together. Thank you for the reminder of doing something “nice” for someone today. I will.

3. Flavor said, on March 27, 2018 at 6:53 am

thanks guys. It’s hard to explain why I love horse racing. I’m certainly not one of the degenerates who goes everyday and has no job. There is something beautiful and poetic about the sport to me. I appreciate it’s rich history. And it’s timeline closely matches the timeline of my life. I can remember exactly what I was doing, for instance, the day Z won the BC Classic. Of course that’s an easy one, I was there watching it. My dad started taking me to the track when I was about 10 years old. My best friend Tom’s mom started taking him to the track even earlier than that. I know it was one of the main things those two did together. Anyway, the track bonded me and Tom together from an early age. Going to the track with your buddies, for me anyway, was one of the most fun things I’ve gotten to do in my life.

4. zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 7:15 am

Great post, BF!
    Great gift, Loo!

5. willedav said, on March 27, 2018 at 7:34 am

Dusty Baker always reminded me of guys you would see at the Track…dressed sharply, cig and a drink, studying the form and placing multiple bets at the window.

• Flavor said, on March 27, 2018 at 7:46 am

Bobby bonds was at Baymeadows all the time. Tom rathman was a staple in the clubhouse

6. Dennis Zucchino said, on March 27, 2018 at 7:35 am

Been 30 years since going to the track. These 19 races brought up my heart rate. I can see the love one could have with this exquisite creature.

7. willedav said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:04 am

Kinda conflicted about Duggar. Yes he’s young and athletic and can play CF, all big plusses for SF. But he’s never hit at anything close to ml level (46 ABs at AAA) and I can understand those who say give him a couple months in AAA playing every day. If Giants choose to keep him he has to play, day and night games, to get used to the yard and ml pitching.
    Giants already have Shaw Slater and Mac down there; hope they do some damage and force their way up.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:11 am

And Parker may end up at Sac also. Crowded AAA outfield.

• alleykat69 said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:12 am

And that’s the problem Willie, they always have a Outfielder are more “down their” that’s a supposed prospect and before you know it he’s 27 and not anymore.The Gorks&The Blanco’s of the world need not apply..

8. alleykat69 said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:05 am

Awesome Post BF,& 2 Flaps up for Loo for sending you such a cherished gift for your Birthday!
    Yeah I dug hanging out with my friends at Bay Meadows.Great horseracing (use to watch the horses in the paddock before my bets& then go to infield area to watch the race) cheap beers,cheap food,cheap woman,doesn’t get any better then that!

9. zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:09 am

I like the Giants broadcasters a lot, and it’s hard for me to be objective about them.
    But if I had to pick another broadcasting crew, I would go with the Mets TV crew: Cohen, Darling, and Hernandez. They are consistently interesting and entertaining. I don’t always agree with their takes on things, but they do a fine job.

10. zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:22 am

Late in the game yesterday, score tied 2-2, Belt came up with no runners on base, in a situation where he has a power swing that could potentially hit a go-ahead HR, and…..he took a called third strike.. It continues to be a frustration with Belt. I guess he’s not going to change at this point. I would have liked him to be more aggressive in that situation. Recognize the situation better.

11. snarkk said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:34 am

The Flap continues to amaze and move in new directions. I’ll admit I’m not into horses, other than paying for 8 years of riding lessons for the older Snarkeette, the equipment, and the deductible from her broken shoulder getting thrown. But. It’s been cool seeing her ride and bond as one with an animal, riding jumping and turning and competing. It’s been cool watching a 5’4″ girl become a kind of horse whisperer, one that can alternatively push and shush and rub quiet a 1000 pound beast as he gets rambunctious while she tacks him up. Especially when he looks at me like–“dude, I’m good with her, but if you tried this, I’d F you up!”…

12. unca_chuck said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:52 am

Willie, why not Duggar? He’s not being held in place by anyone worth a hot nickel. I’d rather have someone who stands to grow quickly than the same old 5-50 or Mac (under) the knife.

• willedav said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:16 am

answer would be because they aren’t rebuilding, yet. He’s had only13 games above High A San Jose. and he hit pedestrian .260 at Sac in limited time. do you really think he’s ready to hit ml pitching? He has pretty high K rate in minors for someone without much pop.

I don’t. but again I get those who don’t care if he is or not and just want to see someone younger than A Jax or Blanco and value his speed and D. I think if they do keep tho, put him out there more often than once or twice a week and as more than late game D replacement/PR who doesn’t get to hit.

13. unca_chuck said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:55 am

As far as this place goes, it is one of the most unexpected ongoing pleasures of my recent life. And I never went a lot, but I sure miss Bay Meadows. And that little golf course in the middle was a hoot. Hard hat mandatory. It was like playing in the middle of a driving range.

14. wilcojoe said, on March 27, 2018 at 9:43 am

BTW, that’s one helluva view you have Flav.

15. unca_chuck said, on March 27, 2018 at 9:44 am

That’s an awesome gift, Loo.

16. wilcojoe said, on March 27, 2018 at 9:52 am

Anyone like this Therese Vinal? I just started following her on Twitter. She appears to host Giants pre and post game shows on NBC SportsNet. Just judging from her twitter pic, she is way more attractive than Amy G. If the Giants are going to suck, they should at least have an attractive dugout reporter. Is that too much to ask?

• Flavor said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:14 am

Man, Twinner would really given it to ya for this post, eh?

• willedav said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:23 am

A-G was in mid season form last night spouting her usual inanities talking to Blach. who gives an F whether he got married or not? she went with the unkempt hair look too. Can’t believe G’s channel cut away from the game for that.

I’m fortunate at work to talk to good looking blondes quite often who are lot less banal and stuck on themselves than her.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 27, 2018 at 12:04 pm

No, joe. It is not too much to ask and I agree.

17. alleykat69 said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:44 am

Yeah wasn’t it Amy G who 1st reported Bumgarner will be fine after taking that shot off his hand?

18. Macdog said, on March 27, 2018 at 11:07 am

What a cool gift from Loo! And echoing WJ, that’s a fantastic view, Flav.

• Flavor said, on March 27, 2018 at 11:37 am

Yes but I think Snarkk has me out-decked by a wood acre mile

19. zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 11:41 am

Therese Vinal and Grant Brisbee do a nice job on the Giants Outsiders show after games. The show got renewed for another season.
    I think it’s more geared towards millenials, but that’s OK. It’s part of growing the fan-base.
    It’s the same reason Amy G asks a player about his wedding. Lots of women fans in particular like hearing about that kind of personal stuff about the players.

20. Macdog said, on March 27, 2018 at 12:25 pm

My annual reminder: If you’re a T-Mobile customer, you can get MLB.tv for free for the whole season. Area teams are blacked out (in my case, that’s Yanks, Mets and Phils)

Another programming note: MLB.com has free games to watch available today, including Giants-A’s tonight.

21. zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 12:45 pm

“The Happy Hour” show, with Ray Ratto, still exists on the Giants channel, but who’s watching it? And why?
    But then again, why anyone watches Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith is lost on me.
    Actually, there’s a lot of sports talk shows that are lost on me.
    All of the KNBR shows other than Marty Lurie are bleh, unless they’re interviewing someone I’m interested in.

• xoot said, on March 27, 2018 at 1:13 pm

I just had lunch in a Chinatown restaurant that had The Happy Hour on the big flat screen, sound off, no subtitles. About as amusing as the fish tank.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 1:18 pm

I’ll take the fish tank. 🙂

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 27, 2018 at 1:03 pm

My guess is that there were some stipulations about air time in Ratto’s agreement and the Happy Hour show exists to allow his contract to close. The other hosts look like they’d rather get waterboarded than be in his proximity. They already booted his sorry ass from KNBR when he couldn’t get along with Tolbert of all people who is probably one of the easiest going people in the media.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 1:09 pm

Well said.

23. zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Some teams are adding the strikezone graphic to their broadcasts this season, similar to ESPN’s.
    I don’t like it, but I know lots of folks like it.

24. zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 1:14 pm

OK, I’m trying to figure out what a “wood acre mile” is.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 1:15 pm

I can seriously talk “acre feet of water.”

• Flavor said, on March 27, 2018 at 2:03 pm

Just made it up. Lots of food. An acre of wood. Big big deck.

25. unca_chuck said, on March 27, 2018 at 1:59 pm

The game on 95.7, minus Damon Bruce, is fairly decent sports talk. I only really hear it in the morning for about 10 minutes, but Joe, Lo, and Dibs is mildly entertaining without being moronic.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Unfortunately that channel doesn’t have a strong signal. I can’t get it in the Central Valley.
      KNBR, of course, blasts across the western U.S.
      There’s a Valley radio channel that has Ferrell’s syndicated show. Farrell! That voice! Like a malfunctioning chainsaw! I actually kind of like Farrell. I thought his time at KNBR was pretty memorable.

26. unca_chuck said, on March 27, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Showing the strike zone is one thing. Calling it is another. If the fucking nimrods at wherever MLB headquarters is would tell the umps to call the strike zone at it is mapped out by the rulebook, would speeed the game up immensely.

The fucking postage stamp strike zone has done more to lengthen games than any 15 rules changes.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 2:09 pm

And pitchers need the high strike in this launch angle era. The high fastball is a good weapon against the uppercut.

• xoot said, on March 27, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Flannery was railing along the same line on twitter recently. “Hunt strikes!” I agree.

27. blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2018 at 3:32 pm

I just read a pretty good piece on MLB team offseason decisions which will likely backfire (yes, the Giants decision to reload vs. rebuild was one of them). However, the offseason decision that piqued my interest was related to the Dodgers decision to allow Brandon Morrow to leave via free agency. Yes, Scott Alexander (58 G, 2.48 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) was acquired from the Royals and Tom Koehler of the Blue Jays (15 G, 2.65 ERA, 1.29 WHIP) was signed as a free agent. Morrow appeared in 14 of the team’s 15 playoff games and as the article points out, that “speaks volumes to his importance to the relief corps.” Additionally, Pedro Baez was terrible down the stretch last year (see below).

April-Aug.: 55 G, 1.79 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, .202 BAA
    Sept.: 11 G, 10.38 ERA, 2.42 WHIP, .341 BAA

Last, but not least, the Giants aren’t the Lone Ranger when it comes to injuries in Spring Training, as Justin Turner, Julio Urias, and the already mentioned Koehler are all on the Dodgers DL.

By the by, Smarg begins throwing tomorrow per another article I read.

28. xoot said, on March 27, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Fernandez has a UCL strain–headed for DL apparently–and Melancon’s arm isn’t good. He may not be ready for opening day.

• blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Yeah, saw the same thing too Xoot . . . Rue the day we signed Melanoma to that outrageous contract. IMO, he’s finished.

29. alleykat69 said, on March 27, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Yeah Fernandez is stuck on our DL list now,can’t send him back to Rockies even if they wanted too!
    Melanoma love that Lina me Blade.
    He really has turned into another Glass Sanchez .Never wanted him from the beginning.It was all Kenley Jansen for me and the Giants showed “No Stones” in their efforts to pursue him imo.,

• alleykat69 said, on March 27, 2018 at 4:05 pm

name.
      Anyway agree Blade he’s toast ,another waste of money their stuck with..

30. unca_chuck said, on March 27, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Nice article from the Athletic re: Timmy, his brother, and his shot this year. Not sure if this got posted here.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Thanks!

31. mrsprtdude said, on March 27, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Great post Craig. A great feeling to belong to this group of fans!!

32. James said, on March 27, 2018 at 5:43 pm

The strike zone has usually been called wide, but not tall. There has been a recent decrease in Glavine strikes, but more low pitches are being called in the pitcher’s favor. If the high strike were also called properly, it would bring back some balance. Plus it’s just more interesting to watch pitchers who mix up the high and low stuff successfully, especially those who don’t have overpowering fastballs. I loved watching Krukow in his 20 win season, Jeff Brantley had a higher K rate than his fastball warranted . . . .

33. djloo27 said, on March 27, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Made my day that you like it, Flavor.
    Forego was my whole world for half a decade…

34. djloo27 said, on March 27, 2018 at 7:04 pm

Hope Katie’s a bubble wrap popper…

35. gianthead said, on March 27, 2018 at 7:13 pm

If Duggar is going to be on the roster he has to play every day. We are going to have a rough first month and I anticiapte that by trade deadline, we are going to see Williamson and Shaw on the roster…

36. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 27, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Late to the party, but also just want to repeat the sentiments: great gift, Loo. Really, tremendous people, Flappers are…..

37. snarkk said, on March 27, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Not surprised one bit re Melancon starting on DL. The guy was invisible in ST. Damaged goods when they signed him. The Nats must have known…

38. Lurker John said, on March 27, 2018 at 7:51 pm

Awesome, personal gift, Loo, congrats on 5 decades, Craig. GO GIANTS!

39. snarkk said, on March 27, 2018 at 7:52 pm

I have a good sized redwood deck, with a kick ass view of my neighbor’s tool shed…

• alleykat69 said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Hope he’s a nice guy Snarkk,cause sometimes neighbors aren’t the sharpest tool in the shed..

40. Lurker John said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Not a good way to start the season with all these injuries. Melancon has been a big bust so far.

41. djloo27 said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:03 pm

I thought the pitching staff was a disaster before all the injuries…

• Lurker John said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Well, Stratton capped off a nice spring tonight with 5 scoreless innings, Osich still hasn’t given up a run and Gearrin has been tough. Maybe they can hold it together until Bum and Shark return.

42. Lurker John said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:12 pm

And thanks, Flav, for manning the helm of the U.S.S. Flap for 10 years. I’d literally interact with zero Giants fans if it weren’t for you guys. You all are the smartest and most knowledgeable baseball fans I know, bar none. I’ve learned a lot over the years. It’s nice to have people to share a passion with.

• djloo27 said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:19 pm

Aren’t you from NY, LJ? Or am I mis-remembering?

• Lurker John said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:23 pm

I’ve lived in the Puget Sound area for about 35 years now. Born in San Jose, spent the first part of my life in that area. We moved a lot after that. Closest I’ve lived to NY is south New Jersey.

43. willedav said, on March 27, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Giants in this Series anyway have shut A’s down pretty well (except for that Smelten guy last night in10th), SPs and pen guys. A’s last year hit 234 HRs. Davis hit 43, and I think 5 different guys had at least 22. They traded away a guy R Healy who hit 25 because they didn’t have anywhere to play him.

44. Macdog said, on March 27, 2018 at 9:32 pm

Gorkys and Blanco make the squad, Duggar to Sac. Specs beats out Rutledge. Also Pierce Johnson and Roberto Gomez make it as relievers.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 9:41 pm

I’m all for trying these new bullpen guys.

• xoot said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:34 pm

Johnson looked good, wtf. Gorkys is a stop gap; Blanco might stick if he can summon what we’ve seen before. Duggar will be back soon.

45. zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 9:59 pm

Broken pipe at Dodger Stadium. Delay as part of the field floods.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:02 pm

It’s a gusher!

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Black gold, Texas tea! The first thing you know ol’ Jed’s a millionaire….

• xoot said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:33 pm

contact the people at the EColi in Oakland. They have expertise.

46. zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Bottom of the 5th inning. The Stadium is falling apart.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:22 pm

The fans that bought tickets got hosed.

47. xoot said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:43 pm

let’s open the season at #ChavezLatrine !

48. zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:51 pm

Tragic?

“I smelled it,” Andrew Toles said. “It was nasty. I’m not gonna tell you what it really was. That’s messed up. That’s a tragic thing.”

49. zumiee said, on March 27, 2018 at 10:55 pm

“Eww,” Corey Seager said as he exited the clubhouse.

“Crappy way to end the spring,” Ross Stripling said. “Get it?”

50. djloo27 said, on March 28, 2018 at 5:01 am

I remember watching the fire at Fulton County stadium in 1993 and being positive it was an omen that the Braves would go down in flames. No need to continue…