Start the Season Already

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 28, 2018

Our challenge this year is obvious, you don’t lose your #1 and #2ish starting pitchers a week before the season and have a lot of optimism going into the season. Our pitching staff was on thin ice before they got hurt. But we have better hitters and I’m hoping that the damaged goods we got in Melancon is going to create an opportunity for someone at the end of the game.

Baggs tweeted out the 2010 opening day line up and it’s worth noting that team looked, on paper, to have a lot of holes.

Rowand, Renteria, Sandoval, Huff, DeRosa, Big Titty, Bowker, Uribe, Lincecum

Tomorrow’s line up might look like:

Panik, Belt, McCutchen, Posey, Longoria, A-Jax, Pence, Crawford, Blach

With the obvious upgrade at P in 2010 I don’t see a single hitter I’d rather have than the 8 we are trotting out there tomorrow….

Do you?

1. Flavor said, on March 28, 2018 at 5:35 am

for what it’s worth:

2. willedav said, on March 28, 2018 at 7:05 am

pretty funny to listen to highlight of Vlad Jr. belting walkoff bomb for Toronto in exhibition game at Montreal Olympic Stadium vs. Cards. Like announcers said you can’t make it up.
    cbs site shows fans in Dad’s jerseys and Expos hats, plus a pic of senior and junior in pinstripe uni as a little kid.
    He’s pretty big guy now and had great season High A.

3. unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 7:25 am

Dusty’s son Darrell, he of the 2002 World Series fun, hit a walk off bomb for Cal the other day.

4. Flavor said, on March 28, 2018 at 7:56 am

5. alleykat69 said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:00 am

I might go Huff over Belt only cause Huff was on fire most of the year,even might of got a few MVP votes before he faded.

6. willedav said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:03 am

Read where Yanks G Bird is gonna need ankle surgery and be out a while. Always thought Yanks yard and that whole division full of hitter friendly parks (except for Tampa) would be good fit for Belt and maybe give SF shot at one of their prized OF/pitching prospects.
    This could easily be it for Pence and Cutch in contract year could be elsewhere soon. If Shaw can hit SF has to find spot for him.

Funny too but for all the talk about next season FA market why would Yanks need B Harper or Machado? They have younger cheaper quality players and big commitment to Stanton and are dang good right now.

7. zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:19 am

Trayce Thompson can be had on waivers. Why wouldn’t the Giants want him over Gorkys? Unless it puts them past the luxury tax line, I guess.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:20 am

Trayce in the Bay Area. That would be a cool story.

• djloo27 said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:33 am

Who remembers the Tracy Jones experiment?

• unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:46 am

I remember the Casey Jones experiment. Living on reds, vitamin C and cocaine.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:48 am

I’m not remembering Tracy Jones. It must not have gone well?

8. unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:44 am

Shit, AJ Puk of the A’s went from unknown entity to spring phenom to possible rotation guy to demoted to TJ surgery. All in the matter of 3 weeks.

9. unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:45 am

Get Thompson! Get anyone. Barry’s barcalounger. Gorkys is kaput.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:51 am

This weekend we’ll see Gorkys pinch-hit in late innings. It will likely not go well.

10. snarkk said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:50 am

2010 squad developed some real mojo the last half after Cody and Pat the Bat came on. We’ll see if these hitters get that. Last season the team was sleepwalking…

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:52 am

The 2010 team also had a stellar bullpen, and Posey and Bum joined the team mid-season.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:53 am

And Freddie Sanchez had his moments of glory.

11. snarkk said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:54 am

I hope Duggar is up after the FA clock date is past and maybe 100 ABs in Sac. Gorkys or Blanco can get released and they’ll end up back in Sac. Duggar needs to be tested to see if he can stick. His D is not an issue..,

12. zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:55 am

The Tracy Jones Experiment could be a pretty good band name.

13. zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 9:03 am

Workers will be trying to fix Dodger Stadium’s plumbing today.

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 28, 2018 at 9:30 am

Watching games against the A’s I was thinking the same thing. The opening day LU is solid 1-8. Pence has quietly put together a decent spring and was moving well the times that I saw him in the field. Maybe he has a nice bounce back year. I think the BP is going to be good whether Melancon makes it back or not. Hopefully Smith shows up sooner rather than later. The SP is what it is. A quick check on Matt Moore’s spring = 9IP, 2.25WIP, 9.00 ERA.

I like the mix of the club and am excited for the season to start.Out slug the other teams and stay around .500 until Bumgarner comes back and the club can be right in it. Can’t wait for my first Cha-Cha bowl!

15. zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 10:15 am

Eric Stephen:
    “38 of Clayton Kershaw’s 40 career starts against the Giants are quality starts. He has allowed zero or one run vs. SF more times (21) than allowing two or more runs (19)”

He doesn’t mention Kershaw’s record against the Giants. The Giants have defeated him a few times.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 10:16 am

W/L record, I meant.

16. Macdog said, on March 28, 2018 at 10:21 am

That 2010 Opening Day lineup got a 5-2 win at Houston, including a bomb by DeRosa.

17. unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 10:29 am

Pence has looked good this spring, but I’ll believe it when it’s for real.

Kershaw is 22-9, 1.70 era vs the Giants

21-7, 3.22 vs the Rockpile

14-8 2.55 vs the Dbags

17-6, 1.94 vs the Pads

A whopping 74-30 vs the west.

11-2, 1.97 vs the Nats, BTW

18. unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 10:30 am

Was DeRosa the first hologram? He was here for 2+ years and played about 8 games IIRC.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 10:37 am

The Giants signed him coming off wrist surgery. It never made sense.

• djloo27 said, on March 28, 2018 at 11:21 am

I think the first hologram was Ryan Lollis (AKA “The Lollogram”)

• Flavor said, on March 28, 2018 at 2:19 pm

that’s epic Flap knowledge.

• djloo27 said, on March 28, 2018 at 4:35 pm

Your creation, boss…

19. alleykat69 said, on March 28, 2018 at 10:40 am

176 AB’s for Mark DeRosa as a Giant 1 HR!!!
    But hey they felt sorry for him and they gave him W/S ring..

20. xoot said, on March 28, 2018 at 10:47 am

I’m delighted to see new guys in the pen. The LU looks fine. I decided to buy a ticket to opening day. My son found a couple of reasonably priced seats way up by the splash cam. Wtf.

Pences arm looks weak, imo. I noticed it earlier in ST and last night. One of the beat writers commented on it too. I think we’ll see a lot of Jackson in lf and Duggar in cf before the seasons over

21. gianthead said, on March 28, 2018 at 11:56 am

We also added Affeldt and Javier Lopez in 2010….our pen was magnificent….

22. gianthead said, on March 28, 2018 at 12:43 pm

What is a Pierce Johnson and how did he make the team???

After the Bum news, I wanted to be able to watch Duggar. But with the reality of the number of lefties they will face in the first couple of weeks…let him hopefully get ripping right away and force the Giants hand…

• gianthead said, on March 28, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Why is Derek Law in the outhouse????

• unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 1:46 pm

He ain’t exactly shutting folks down with his 5 runs given up in 10 innings.

• blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Maybe you didn’t hear that MadBum and Smarg are injured? Johnson was in the first round of cuts this spring, but he did pitch well while in camp. Don’t laugh – he might be the long man in the bullpen. By the by, they also kept Roberto Gomez too.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 1:00 pm

Gomez looked good in the one outing I remember seeing him.
        It seems like it’s been downhill for Law ever since the 9th inning of that playoff game vs. the Cubs.

23. alleykat69 said, on March 28, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Pierce Johnson wears specs but their not as cool as Specs Tomlinson’s.

• unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Did Specs make the team?

• unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Just saw that he did.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 2:13 pm

Rutledge probably played a little better than Specs, but it was close enough for them to go with the known quantity of Specs.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 2:17 pm

The bench is not awesome. Pablo, Specs, Blanco, Gorkys, and Hundley.
        Imagine these guys PHing late in games vs. quality relievers.
        Maybe Pablo will run into a few. Maybe.

24. alleykat69 said, on March 28, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Gomez is the Julian Hernandez replacement.
    Sure Cueto and all the other DR rallied for him.
    Hey he’s a switch hitter if that means anything..

25. unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 2:49 pm

When you need that bunt laid down . . .

26. unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Had to look up Ryan Lollis. 13 ABs, 2 base hits and a walk.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 3:08 pm

I’m always amazed when Loo or someone else remembers somebody like that. I’m almost never remember those type of guys. The classic cup-of-coffee players.

• Macdog said, on March 28, 2018 at 3:15 pm

I know what you mean. In the box score I posted earlier, a reliever named Brandon Medders almost blew the game in the 9th before Wilson saved the game. Who the hell was this guy?

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 3:23 pm

The name vaguely rings a bell.

27. zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Salvador Perez slipped while carrying luggage and injured his knee.

28. blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2018 at 3:16 pm

Does anyone recall if we were excited about Gorkys Hernandez when in his first game of the season against the Snakes (started in place of regular centerfielder Denard Span) he had a career high four RBIs?

Anyone? Anyone? .

29. zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 3:29 pm

I’ve mentioned before I was at Bowker’s first game. He hit an HR, and 3 or 4 total his first week. Then teams stopped throwing him fastballs, and he was done.

• alleykat69 said, on March 28, 2018 at 4:35 pm

Yeah same thing happened to Serranto in Major League.,

30. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 28, 2018 at 4:25 pm

The Bowker Gang is some of the best gloss to ever come out of the Flap imo.

• djloo27 said, on March 28, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Completely agree. Often wonder who it’s charter members were…

• blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2018 at 5:10 pm

Jesse James, Cole Younger . . . Oh wait, that’s another gang.

31. Flavor said, on March 28, 2018 at 6:08 pm

oh boy…
    Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:47 pm (Edit)
    Finding founding members of The Bowker Gang on the internet is harder than finding a piece of #370 in the Indian Ocean. Too soon?

32. alleykat69 said, on March 28, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Just with position players some of my Bowker gang off the top of my head would be…Ryan Rohlinger,Matt Downs,Ryan Garko,Emanuel Burris,Fred Lewis,Kevin Frandsen..

• djloo27 said, on March 28, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Good job, Kat!

33. wilcojoe said, on March 28, 2018 at 7:32 pm

I always thought you had to be considered an underwhelming power hitting prospect, ideally a corner OF or 1B to be defined as part of The Bowker gang.

34. Macdog said, on March 28, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Flav opened a 2014 thread with this:

Everyone remembers The Bowker Gang. There was, of course, John Bowker himself. Brian Bocock. Dan Ortmeier. Manny Burriss. Todd Linden. There were others. They were bad asses who couldn’t hit an mlb breaking ball. The Bowker Gang. They’d ruin you in a dark ally.

• Flavor said, on March 28, 2018 at 7:37 pm

man I was on fire back then….

35. xoot said, on March 28, 2018 at 7:51 pm

Is Rajai D the only survivor?

36. alleykat69 said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:01 pm

A name from the past who believe it are not is still a Giant,the big bonus baby bust who has ballooned as big as another former bust Raiders QB Jamarcus Russell (well atleast he played in the NFL) not are guy who has never played above AA are one and only Angel Villalona best known as “The payoff Baby”

• xoot said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:11 pm

I saw that fat boy play 1B for the San Jose Giants during his last gasp in the USA, before his pay-off six-year stint on the 40-man expired. He’s not still playing, is he?

• xoot said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:15 pm

maybe it was only 3 years–seemed like an eternity

37. snarkk said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Miscellanea:
    1. If gyros survive April around .500, anything is possible.
    2. I dunno who this Gomez guy is. Remember years ago when he got traded in I called Lopez, Gomez? I think Oracle was pissed or something? He’ll, I was just a few years early…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:15 pm

Didn’t Joe Buck also call Lopez “Gomez” in the 2010 playoffs? Pretty funny. Buck didn’t seem to know anybody’s name on that Giants team. “And there’s a fly ball to … the right fielder…” ….

• wilcojoe said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:19 pm

I do remember you mistakenly calling him Gomez. Twin was in rare form that day. He really let you have it. Good times!

38. Flavor said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:29 pm

there are a lot of jokes in waiting on this Pence *pledge* but can someone explain to me how $1000 turns into 10,000 meals? Am I reading this wrong?

• unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:39 pm

He’d be donating 10x more if it was dribblers to 3rd . . .

SHit, I heard Damon Bruce for 20 seconds regaling the airwaves with all the failed outfielders since Barry Bonds was traded for. Ort-Rod was one of them. Linden, JR Phillips, The list was long . . .

• djloo27 said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:44 pm

I saw Ort-Rod’s first ML homer. Twin loved that nickname. He hit it in the infamous Benitez double balk game back in 2007…

39. zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:37 pm

I have a baseball that Angel Villalona tossed me! I was at a San Jose Giants/Modesto Nuts game, sitting behind a dugout and he was the on-deck hitter nearby. A foul ball was dribbled over to him and he decided to toss it into the crowd. I was wearing a glove and held the glove up high and it got his attention and he tossed the ball right to me. I still have it.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:38 pm

This was during his pre-murder charge era.

• djloo27 said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:47 pm

He’s still only 27. Feels like he should be 39 by now…

• xoot said, on March 28, 2018 at 8:46 pm

that may be worth nearly as much as the Sandoval signed ball my younger kid got

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 9:05 pm

I have a few balls I’ve gotten at minor league games. I’ve never gotten one at a major league game. Never even come all that close to getting one,

40. zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 9:08 pm

I can barely remember Rajai Davis as a Giant.

• xoot said, on March 28, 2018 at 9:12 pm

His second year he was essentially a pinch runner before he got traded

• xoot said, on March 28, 2018 at 9:15 pm

or more likely dfa’d and claimed

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 9:54 pm

He was so close to winning a World Series with Cleveland. He was almost a legend with his Game 7 HR. Now he’s more of an interesting footnote in that series.

41. zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Yeah, I’m not getting the Hunter Pence math either.

42. zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 9:58 pm

The Giants aren’t taking my advice on Trayce Thompson so far.

43. zumiee said, on March 28, 2018 at 10:22 pm

Lincecum is out the first month of the season with a blister.

44. alleykat69 said, on March 28, 2018 at 10:36 pm

It’s really coming to be an epidemic in Baseball with blisters especially the last few years.Defintely something going on with these baseballs wound too tight which of course MLB is denying..