Thud!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 1, 2018

Last night’s game was a cringy reminder of the team that lost 98 games last year. They couldn’t hit, they couldn’t field, their starting pitcher labored….

The offense is going to be better but what if Longo and McCutchen are done like Melancon? They look like they can still hit and field but their execution says otherwise. Melancon came to us as damaged goods. I don’t think Longo and McCutchen are damaged goods. But could they suffer as dramatic a drop off in one season? Let’s decided after May happens……

The Art Dealer’s grand ring ceremony was yesterday and look at this: Dodger players so embarrassed by their pathetic fake ring party they were caught HIDING their rings behind their backs in the hopes that the Giants wouldn’t see them. Sad I tell ya, just sad…..

Screenshot 2018-04-01 at 6.41.29 AM

1. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on April 1, 2018 at 8:32 am

The ring ceremony was pathetic, they should be embarrassed.
    What the Dodgers should have done is make a big deal of the NL West flag raising ceremony. Five in a row for them, that is actually something to proud of.
    As fan on April 1st, 2018, I gladly trade last year’s NL pennant for a win today.

2. gianthead said, on April 1, 2018 at 8:32 am

Daily fantasy drives me crazy. Finished just out of the money Fri night. But made picks Thurs night and started Aaron Hicks…he got put on the DL. F! My fault not to check while deciding to play 9 holes after work (San Dog…I am going with a different swing this year with driver and 3 woods. Adopting Patrick Reed’s swing. I am tall like you 6’2″ (unlike Reed but his shortness also does not him let swing through) and pull everything or just not getting long enough so going to start aiming right and let my arms come through…first day had some some early success.

Back to daily fantasy, finished just out of the money in 3 leagues last night with me gambling on Crawford (0 pts) and motherf’n Arrenado also getting zero. I was out of the money by .8 in two leagues amd 4 pts in a 100 person league finishing 12th with top 10 getting paid. Also went Puig thinking he would tee of on Holland. A base hit or walk wad all I needed…drives me crazy!!

• Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 9:24 am

there are highs and lows for sure. How many teams do you play on a given slate? And stop playing at Yahoo man. FD and DK only right?

3. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 10:42 am

Holland did settle down after the first inning and looked pretty effective. His defense just totally boned him. His stuff looks good enough to me to be a viable option as a spot starter after Bum and Shark get back, or maybe long relief.

• alleykat69 said, on April 1, 2018 at 11:25 am

I can see the Giants maybe rotating Holland and Montoya as the 5th guy depending on matchups the other guy a long man vice versa.
      Yeah LJ, their Defense performed a colonoscopy for poor Holland who really didn’t pitch bad but just got rear ended by his D..

4. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 10:43 am

Stratton tonight. The G’s need a strong start from him. He’s going to be important this season.

5. sandog said, on April 1, 2018 at 11:11 am

Yeah, gonna be interesting to see how Strat does tonight. ESPN game.

GHead…copying Patrick Reed’s swing? I like it. I do think us tall guys have a lot of potential for our swing to go awry easily. I hauled my clubs all over the state on my recent trip (got home late last night), but only played once at a course called Wild Wings in my hometown of Woodland.
    Went out with a good buddy yesterday to a great bar in Long Beach called Joe Jost’s. His wife went to Woodside High in Menlo Park, so I told him I had just been to the Goose and asked if he knew the place. He looked at me like I’d asked him if he’d ever been to McDonald’s and went on to tell me that he and a few of our college friends took a break from HIS OWN wedding reception to go have a beer at The Goose. I probably would have joined them, but I wasn’t at the wedding because my wife was about to give birth to Lil SanDawg.
    He said that run to The Goose is still a sore subject amomg his in-laws—–which is impressive since we are talking almost 27 years ago.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 1, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Reminds me of the time my wife was in labor with our first born and I had some burritos delivered. What’s the big deal? After 14 hours I was hungry. I’m still hearing about that one. People have a hard time turning the page. lulz. .

• Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 12:30 pm

LOL. Both those stories are hilarious. Burritos. I love it.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 1, 2018 at 12:06 pm

Joe Jost’s is a great spot. I spent a lot of time at Fern’s and the V Room which are sort of near there.

Not too worried about the loss last night. It’s hard to beat any team 3 games in a row (as Twin used to say). Don’t like to see sloppy play though. They’re in position to take the series which is all you can ask for.

7. sandog said, on April 1, 2018 at 1:11 pm

Mike Trout batting second today for the Angels. Somewhere, Twin is smiling as one of his contrary takes was that your best hitter should always bat second.

8. willedav said, on April 1, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Judge and Cespedes both hit second yesterday. iirc Stanton did last year too.

9. sandog said, on April 1, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Ohtani looked pretty dominant in his first inning. Touched 100 MPH on one pitch.

• sandog said, on April 1, 2018 at 1:40 pm

…now he just served up a 3 run bomb, so maybe I need to curb my enthusiasm a bit.

10. Stan Shell said, on April 1, 2018 at 1:51 pm

2-1, bottom 9th, runners on first and third, 3-2 count, Span up- -swung an missed a pitch in the dirt. So it goes.

11. mrsprtdude said, on April 1, 2018 at 1:52 pm

Hey Dirt are you talking Joe Josts in Long Beach? A favorite in college…

12. mrsprtdude said, on April 1, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Dirt & San dog too. We need to go have a beer at Joe Josts next time the Dodgers are playing us!
    Schooner and a special!!!

• sandog said, on April 1, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Sounds great Dude! I love that place. Pickled eggs are great too.

13. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 2:55 pm

In keeping with the TF theme….he was always suspect of Crawford’s hitting ability.
    Craw looks really lost at the plate these days.

14. willedav said, on April 1, 2018 at 4:01 pm

The Angels reliever in the 9th #53 looks like the pitching version of J Parker…leans way forward to get the sign, then makes 4 moves with both hands together before coming set. He moves them out then back and then up and down twice before he ever throws…every single pitch.

• willedav said, on April 1, 2018 at 4:04 pm

Blaine Parker no relation I guess.

15. mrsprtdude said, on April 1, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Any So cal based SF Giants fans up for getting together??

mwrymer@gmail.com Joe Josts for SF LA game Friday 4/27/18

• Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 4:30 pm

that place looks like my kinda place

• sandog said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:05 pm

You’d love the place.
        Dude—I might be down for that as I could also spend some time with my son that weekend. I will send you an email.

• theroooster said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Yeah, classic spot. Used to have one of their T-shirts back in my 20’s. One of those T-shirts you wear and wash often enough over the years, it eventually develops holes across the back. Pretty sure I used it for a rag to clean off the dipstick while checking my oil before I finally tossed it. ‘Bout a 20 min. drive from my place. Sounds fun!

16. Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:13 pm

hate that ND won but the end of the Women’s Natty on ESPN right there was INCREDIBLE

• Macdog said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Same ND player hit the game-winner in OT to beat UConn in the semis.

17. djloo27 said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:34 pm

A Flap-a-Rooster?
    It’s about time!

18. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:36 pm

This weekend I bought tickets for three games. First up is the Nats in late April, then the Reds in May, and then the D-Backs in June.

19. Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:42 pm

I’m tired of Old Man Hill. Can we please hammer him? One time?

20. Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:44 pm

fucking McCutchen, man. Worthless. Roosterlooza? Damn, I wish I could go.

21. alleykat69 said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:45 pm

Casey McCutchgee start with these DP balls yikes.,

22. Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm

I like ARod as an analyst but goddamn he talks quiet. You can barely hear him, he doesn’t have a good voice for tv

23. alleykat69 said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:52 pm

Grab some pine Puig you whiney bitch..
    Borderline pitch but you have to hack especially with your reputation..

24. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:52 pm

2 runs in 28 innings. Ouch.

25. djloo27 said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:53 pm

Just can’t warm up to Jessica Mendoza. I’ve tried…

• theroooster said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Yeah, she bugs me Loo – Softball?

• Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:59 pm

she’s ok, nothing special. At least I can hear here. AROD’s voice is awful I can barely understand what he’s saying

26. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Longoria too . . . worthless.

27. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:01 pm

Turn on the frickin’ game . . . Sheesh, if I want to watch SportsCenter, I’ll watch that shit.

28. Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:01 pm

Panik giving AROD hitting tips, that’s hilarious.

29. djloo27 said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:08 pm

I hope Panik realizes that stupid front foot thing didn’t do Span much good.
    Bam Bam’s another useless fuck.
    I wouldn’t have brought him back after the way he campaigned for the Yankee job…

30. Macdog said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:08 pm

These telecasts keep trying to reinvent the wheel. Just show the fucking game.

31. theroooster said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:09 pm

You’re right BF – it’s like there’s something wrong with Arod’s mic.

32. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Did ARod endorse our style of hitting? hehehe

33. theroooster said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Almost looked safe

34. willedav said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:11 pm

nice bunt by Stratton almost beat that out.

35. Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:13 pm

i’m not sure I’ve seen A-Jax, Longo or ‘Cutch even hit a fly ball yet this year.

36. Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:15 pm

well there’s a fly ball! Baby steps…

37. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:16 pm

The three new righties are all rally-killers so far.

38. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Mendoza arguing with Arod is comical. HoF’er versus the softball diva. McCutcheon is hacking at everything right now.

39. willedav said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Are we still talking about Span? jesus maria the guy is 3000 miles away playing for a team no will watch or care about. And Giants don’t have to pay him anymore.

40. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:25 pm

ARod is hammering pretty hard on the launch-angle crowd, and he makes some pretty good points. That’s one thing the Giants don’t really have, is a hitter with that type of approach. They strike out enough without one.

41. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Apparently the broadcasters are afraid to talk about the ball being juiced. Launch angle is influenced by the ball being juiced the last couple of years.

• Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:28 pm

It’s also about consciously adding an uppercut to the swing. People have been beefing about juiced baseballs since the 1970’s.

• zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:32 pm

HRs went up by 2,000 two years ago, and went up some more last year.
        Some scientific studies have already been published showing the balls are livelier. Just like during the steroid era, though, MLB is pretending nothing’s going on.

• Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:36 pm

I’d like to see some of those studies. Players are bigger and stronger than ever, and by a lot. More homers are going to be hit. More like 800:

• Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:37 pm

Wrong link: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hihr6.shtml

• zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:40 pm

A couple of studies were posted at Fangraphs but I didn’t save the links.

42. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Buster is coming around the past couple of days. The consummate pro.

43. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:29 pm

The Jax/Cutch/Longo Axis of Futility.

44. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Eva left his swing in Tampa Bay.

45. Macdog said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:30 pm

At least Longoria didn’t hit into a DP.

46. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:31 pm

Longoria had his worst season last year. He’s old. Happens to all ball players. He’ll have his moments this season, but I don’t think he’ll have a renaissance or come back. Not happening IMO.

• zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Right now he’s looking completely done.

• alleykat69 said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:37 pm

Longoria is standing to far from the plate imo.Then he’s totally lunging at outside pitches..

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Agree AK.

47. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Buster’s one achilles heel, tortoise-like speed.

• Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Puig’s arm probably had something to do with that but agreed, he’s so fucking slow

48. alleykat69 said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Could show a replay of Posey rounding 3rd?
    Fuck ESPN, yeah probably hold him up but who would of known.Shit camera coverage!!

• Macdog said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:39 pm

I agree, it’s probably safe to say Posey wasn’t gonna score, but a replay to see where he was after the relay throw would’ve been nice. Basic stuff not even covered.

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Ironically, they have a camera shot of the Seager run. WTF ESPN????

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Continuing on what Loo and LJ said about this Jessica Mendoza.- I actually like her, but what I can’t wrap my mind around is a softball player and worse, a woman softball player discussing baseball hitting with a HOF destined baseball player. It’s ludicrous when you think about it. Again, I believe in merit, if she played MLB, I would have no problem with her or if she did play by play, but analysis? No fucking way.

• zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:44 pm

She replaced Schilling, so that’s a positive. 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:45 pm

Didn’t know that . . . Yes, that is a POSITIVE.

49. theroooster said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:40 pm

The Dodgers early offensive woes doesn’t surprise me at all. Justin Turner was their most important player in their LU last season. They need to pull their heads out, adjust, and realize they won’t have JT for a while.

• djloo27 said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:45 pm

50. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:42 pm

It figures Stratton was going to have trouble second time through the order.

51. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:47 pm

Pat McCaw released from the hospital today. Looks like he’s going to be fine.

52. theroooster said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Wow

53. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:48 pm

That was horribly played.

54. djloo27 said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Embarrassing…

55. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Seager practically walked in.

56. Macdog said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Fucking awful.

57. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:50 pm

Seriously? Panik butchered that.

58. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:51 pm

As usual I turn on the game at the exact wrong time. Duh/. WTF?

JJesus.

59. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:52 pm

Puig’s such a horrible baserunner.

• theroooster said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:59 pm

He’s always been terrible at reading the pitcher’s move. Never been a good base stealer. His whole approach to baserunning is just being overly aggressive. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not.

60. alleykat69 said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Had Dipshit Puig at 1st but Joe double pumped his throw..

61. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:54 pm

That inning answered the question: how did the Giants lose 98 games last year?

62. willedav said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Stratton did nice job to get 2 flyballs when I worried he might implode. Run obviously not his fault.

As broadcasters have mentioned, lot of Dodgers aren’t doing much at the plate either.
    According to B/R LA currently dead last in NL for hits HRs (0) BA .131 OB SLG OPS. And 2 for 12 both singles for everyone beside Hill tonite.

63. djloo27 said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:58 pm

McCutchen looks like he’s on ‘ludes…

64. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Kershaw has every award except the most important one.

• alleykat69 said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Agree,while Bum, Posey,Freak and others polish their rings Opie will always be jealous cause he ain’t gonna get one..

• djloo27 said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:09 pm

Well, Marichal has none. Doesn’t diminish him in my eyes…

65. Flavor said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:58 pm

McCutchen reminds me of watch DeRosa. I used to get excited if DeRosa even hit the ball in the air. That last fly ball ‘Cutch hit I was like “Oh baby, it’s in the air!”

• djloo27 said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:03 pm

It’s In The Air was a superb filly – late 70’s…

66. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2018 at 6:59 pm

That doesn’t make our suckitude any better. We should be hitting Hill

67. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:00 pm

DeRosa had 12 ABs in 2 years? Puig is a moron and he gets them a run.

68. zumiee said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:01 pm

2 runs, 32 innings.

69. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:04 pm

Panik held the ball too long. Should’ve been an easy out, no runs scored.

70. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:04 pm

So far the revamped offense is in serious need of a kick in the ass.

71. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Wow. Thought that was gone.

72. Lurker John said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:09 pm

That ball needed to go over the wall for the G’s to have a chance to score. Fuck Eva.

73. Macdog said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:10 pm

is that their first double this season?

• alleykat69 said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Belt had one earlier when they held Posey at 3rd..

• Macdog said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Ha, how quickly I forget.

74. willedav said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:10 pm

Another strong inning from Stratton after lead off hit, 5 innings 3 hits 1 run he didn’t deserve against him. Giants get pitching like this .500 April not out of ?.
    Posey off the wall double!

75. alleykat69 said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Longoria is making Dan Uggla almost tolerable ..

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2018 at 7:13 pm