The Making of a Giant

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 8, 2018

My main man in Reno, Dave Anderson, opined in a text to me: “McCutchen? McClutchen.” Indeed, PaSalon, indeed….

That bomb isn’t going to carry the significance of the ’97 Brian Johnson bomb because of the time of year but I can guarantee I will remember that one for the rest of my life. Where was I the day the Giants beat the Dodgers in the 14th with a walk off 3 run bomb/McCutchen’s 6th hit of the game?” Easy one.

His reaction out of the box was legendary. Those are the types of games that don’t just bring a team together–they bring a player to a team. To a city. Andrew McCutchen is a San Francisco Giant now and I bet he woke up so happy this morning. I know I did….

Screenshot 2018-04-08 at 9.22.32 AM

I got this reminder at Facebook this morning. Man, happy birthday Twinner. From wherever you are, I bet you enjoyed that one last night….

Screenshot 2018-04-08 at 12.44.00 PM

1. sandog said, on April 8, 2018 at 5:53 pm

I’m happy for Reed. He’s one helluva putter, that’s for sure. Cracks me up he has his brother in law caddy for him. Does that guy even know half the shit that most caddies know, I wonder? Didn’t bother me seeing McIlroy melt down. I made some bets on the Masters while in Reno. Only guys I had left for the weekend were Zach Johnson, Shaufele, and Kuchar. Some of my golf buddies think I look and move a lot like Kuchar—even I agree we have similar builds and mannerisms.
    I noticed on one of the Masters feeds yesterday Kuchar tossed an apple in the azaleas after taking a couple of bites and then pulled some pieces out of his mouth to feed the fish off the Byron Nelson bridge. Then he called Jon Rahm over to show him the fish. It is Saturday in arguably the biggest major and they’re fucking around on the bridge feeding the fish—which I thought was funny. Rahm stopped on the bridge again today and tried to feed the fish. Anyone notice that?
    Taped Giants game and was gonna watch it now, but then accidentally saw the score. I did have to scroll through and find the Montefusco interview. He really injected some life into the franchise back in the 70’s. Any other cool old time Giant interviews?

• djloo27 said, on April 8, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Avoiding scores is a real problem these days…

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:22 pm

i don’t even try. I embrace knowing everything about everything in real time. lqtm

2. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:04 pm

The 80s commercials crack me up . . .

3. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:24 pm

just unfriended twinfan on facebook. Creepy getting a reminder today about his birthday.

• djloo27 said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Did anyone ever post anything about his passing?

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:42 pm

no,he wasn’t active on facebook at all. He signed up and then ghost shipped it

• James said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:41 pm

There’s probably no one to help shut down the account. Facebook as quasi-purgatory.

4. James said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:04 pm

I was going to announce a new service, a daily Cody Bellinger Free Doubles Down the LF Line Alert, to help promote awareness and outrage over how often other left handed pull hitters in the league not playing for SF are beating the shift. However, after finishing my plate of roast chicken and looking at his 2017 regular season spray chart, I found out that, much to my chagrin, Cody had butcher boy’d/grounded exactly zero free doubles down the LF line last year:

5. James said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:25 pm

Naturally an old school hack like Baggarly doesn’t get it quite right. Of the 12 pitches to McCutchen, 5 were up. Of those, only one was not a strike:

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:33 pm

The umps are fallible humans. I just think Belt should factor that in a little more than he does, especially late in close games.

• James said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:45 pm

Yes, but I could also pull up the 2017 pitch chart for Belt. I won’t bother, but here’s what I’d find, just as surely as I knew Bellinger doesn’t practice beating the shift:

1. When Belt swings at a pitch at the top of the zone or above, he misses far more often than not.
        2. A fair number of pitches at the top of zone actually get called balls, favoring Belt.

After taking the nasty down and in cutter from Jansen for a ball — a better pitch than the one he got rung up on — why should he swing at the one nearly at his shoulders?

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:56 pm

The optics are just real bad for Belt on that. The Dodger guy tomahawked a worse pitch than that for a hit.

• James said, on April 8, 2018 at 10:02 pm

Belt has the eye of Barry Bonds and the talent of Brandon Belt. The optics will never be good for him, which is why he’s my favorite Giant 🙂

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 10:07 pm

May he greatly reward you (and us) for that this season. 🙂

• James said, on April 8, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Barring another conk on the head, I’m confident his stubbornness will quietly reward us all, even if only a handful of thick-skinned cognoscenti cheer him on.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 10:50 pm

6. djloo27 said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Seems like hardly anyone in baseball can get around on the high hard one anymore.
    Maybe cause you can’t really uppercut it?

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:42 pm

I would say so.

7. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Ohtani had a great week. It’s a long long season, though. The big question is if he can maintain the two-way thing over the long haul.

8. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:47 pm

The way catchers are yanking pitches into the strikezone these days to frame pitches has gotten ridiculous. If umps are getting fooled by that, then we really need automated umping.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:58 pm

Grandal gave that pitch to Belt a big yank. Maybe the ump was fooled by that, which is sad.

9. willedav said, on April 9, 2018 at 7:10 am

Belt does seem to prefer pitches in lower part of zone and even beyond, especially in middle of plate. those are the ones he powers to deep CF/LCF. So I can understand his reluctance to swing at outside pitches up at top of zone. and he’s not only LH on team that struggles with high fastball.

but… he is going to face the shift a lot. so if the pitcher does throw something outside he does have lot more open space. Being more adept at beating the shift beside slamming one off the wall would be a good thing.