The Making of a Giant

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 8, 2018

My main man in Reno, Dave Anderson, opined in a text to me: “McCutchen? McClutchen.” Indeed, PaSalon, indeed….

That bomb isn’t going to carry the significance of the ’97 Brian Johnson bomb because of the time of year but I can guarantee I will remember that one for the rest of my life. Where was I the day the Giants beat the Dodgers in the 14th with a walk off 3 run bomb/McCutchen’s 6th hit of the game?” Easy one.

His reaction out of the box was legendary. Those are the types of games that don’t just bring a team together–they bring a player to a team. To a city. Andrew McCutchen is a San Francisco Giant now and I bet he woke up so happy this morning. I know I did….

Screenshot 2018-04-08 at 9.22.32 AM

I got this reminder at Facebook this morning. Man, happy birthday Twinner. From wherever you are, I bet you enjoyed that one last night….

Screenshot 2018-04-08 at 12.44.00 PM

1. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:33 am

Yes! One of the best ABs I’ve seen. Cutch fought off curves, sliders and fastballs to get the one he wanted. All because the 1st pitch was called a high strike.

2. alleykat69 said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:36 am

12 pitch AB makes Cutch pretty “Clutch” on that one.He fought off some nasty stuff frustrating the pitcher who finally threw a meatball to send the fans including my daughter home happy!

3. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:54 am

Gomez deserves some props for only allowing 1 run in the top of the 14th. That inning could have gone totally sideways, and there was no one left to relieve him. He really did earn that W

• Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 11:09 am

I agree. He was taking quite a bit of heat last night, but he did a really good job of limiting the damage to one run. It doesn’t seem like much at the time because the G’s were on the verge of losing, but it goes to show how much every run and out counts. Great win.

4. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 11:07 am

Yeah, his reaction was priceless, very genuine. And what an AB. In baseball, it really doesn’t get much better than that.

5. gianthead said, on April 8, 2018 at 11:35 am

Can I start of with a bitch…here you have Masters starting and show Stenson tee off and then Fleetwood is next and they cut away to show Bubba putt. I have frickin Fleetwood in my pool. They dont bother even telling us where Fleetwood hit it and he is in the hunt.

They then show Stenspn approach shot and then without bothering to tell us where the fuck Fleetwood his and show his approach, they switched to Tiger teeing off and he is 18 fucking shots behind…ok there thanks for a blog where I can unload:)

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 12:08 pm

Download the Masters app it’s the best golf app ive ever had

6. gianthead said, on April 8, 2018 at 11:41 am

Didnt get the baseball package this year so missed the live at bat and it is hopefully a defining moment for his as a Giant. I just think it is unlikely he is a Giant for longer than this season…

7. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2018 at 11:45 am

Worst start in 45 years . . . No, not the Giants, but the Dodgers. Think about that for more than a second.

8. wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2018 at 12:08 pm

The Masters must be running on a delayed feed. I am noticing that my DK scores are changing before I see it on TV.

• gianthead said, on April 8, 2018 at 12:13 pm

Who did you pick???

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2018 at 12:27 pm

I have several tournaments going on DK. I am doing really well in one of the single day tourneys they are running. I have Paul Casey, Rory and Webb Simpson in one tournament that could end up being a nice money maker.

9. gianthead said, on April 8, 2018 at 12:12 pm

How did McIlroy just miss the eagle putt to pull into a tie??? Got to root for Rory…

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Yeah I uttered a few f-bombs when he missed that one.

10. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 12:36 pm

11. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 12:46 pm

updated the main thread just now.

12. willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Think flan had good advice–be ready early. You let Opie get ahead in the count the breaking ball kills you.
    Usually one of first few pitches is fastball for a strike.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:31 pm

So Jackson takes a fastball down the middle for strike one. What’s up with that?

13. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Hundley batting clean-up? I thought I was hallucinating.

14. willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Op looks pretty tough today. Giants put some swings on fastball can’t do much with the curve.
    blach better keep throwing at em balls.

15. willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:35 pm

Good to see double from Longo (first pitch fastball).
    Wow Amy is talking to Garvey…most unlikable guy in the whole yard.
    There’s a contest waiting to happen–name your most hated guy in blue.

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Hahaha . . . You read my mind Willie.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Garvey did have a good quote with Amy.
      “I was expecting more boos. They’re kinder, gentler fans after winning a few championships.”

16. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Of all the Dodgers through the years . . . My opinion of Garvey is probably one rung above Lasorda.

• willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Lasagna at least played along…he’d walk in from RF clubhouse at Stick before the game and start waving his arms and stuff, knowing what was coming all the time.

17. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Who’s your Padre? was my favorite bumper sticker of all time.

18. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Jackson is not a leadoff hitter these days.

19. snarkk said, on April 8, 2018 at 1:59 pm

To beat Kershaw the Giants pretty much have to homer a time or two off him, and keep LA to one or two runs. They can’t put together a string of good contact to generate multiple hits or force fielding errors. And, hard to take walks off him…

• willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:05 pm

good D behind him too. Specs had shot a triple and Taylor made diving grab. He’s locating everything on the black like that last one at knees to Hundley.
      Giants making some plays too.

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:10 pm

The bottom line is that we better have a lead before going to the bullpen or we’re likely screwed. No reinforcements today.

20. James said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Blach must be driving any Dodger fan paying attention crazy with his luck against LA.

21. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:07 pm

The Count was one guy who took the Dodgers-Giants rivalry very seriously.

22. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:08 pm

The Count is funny . . . Amy though is ai yai yai!

23. Macdog said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Damn, I only saw the end of that interview with the Count. Big favorite growing up Giants fan in Jersey.

24. snarkk said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:10 pm

To me, the key take away from these LA games so far is Janzen. His velo is way down to 90. If he’s hurt or that continues for some other reason for an extended time, LA’s entire pitching set up is hosed…

25. James said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Longoria is just hacking. His current troubles in part look unrelated to any decline in skills. He and Pence have been up 54 times this year with no walks.

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:25 pm

“His current troubles in part look unrelated to any decline in skills.”

In part? That sounds contradictory. What are the other parts of his current troubles? Also, you’re saying that his skills have not declined? If yes, I disagree.

• James said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:06 pm

He’s swinging at a lot of stuff out of the strike zone. Even a hitter at his peak will generally not be doing well when that’s the case. He was not very good last year, so I am also a skeptic about his skills at this point.

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Ahh . . . Agree James.

26. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:18 pm

Pence will be 35 years old in 5 days and it shows. I have zero confidence that he’ll engage in any kind of significant run production this year. I have a lot of confidence that Bochy will continue to trot him out there until the cows come home.

27. willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:25 pm

If Blach can put up more starts like these 2 vs. LA he’s gonna be tough. Give him credit, 1-0 game bottom 6.

28. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:27 pm

After the stuff posted about Reed, and Speith having the round of a lifetime (eight under today)…gotta pull for Speith. High drama down the back 9….

G-men need to get to Opie.

29. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:28 pm

Amazing how two days after 7 inches of rain fell you can have a perfect day like today. The field looked great yesterday and it looks even better today. Great job by the Giants’ ground crew.

30. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:32 pm

You have to be fucking kidding me.

31. alleykat69 said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Speith has caught the Cheat!!
    Jordan’s on fire 🔥

32. willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Yikes first time I’ve seen Gearrin, who went all loony tunes with the beard and hair. didn’t he get married?
    “Uh, no babe don’t think I feel like shaving this year.”

33. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:48 pm

It always perturbs me when a major leaguer gets doubled off on a line-drive, especially on a ball to an outfielder. It just seems un-major league.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Unless it happens to the opponent. 🙂

• Macdog said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:56 pm

There was no reason for that one in particular. It was hit to Puig, their best arm in the OF. Even if it’s not caught, Gorkys isn’t scoring.

34. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:52 pm

Curious about whether Pence would make that play. Thoughts? Me? I don’t think so.

35. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 2:57 pm

Bochy’s love affair with Oshit continues.

36. alleykat69 said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Specs!!!
    Fantastic bunt!!

• Macdog said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:16 pm

Jackson not so much.

37. willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Nice Specs! wondered when they were gonna do this with K Hernandez playing 1b.
    I can’t believe Roberts would yank Op…dang he did.

38. willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:14 pm

yeah puig throw way off line. Giants can pin another L on Op right here!

39. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:14 pm

Buster!

40. Macdog said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:14 pm

Tie it up!

41. alleykat69 said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Yeah Baby!!
    Give me some Buster clutch ness!!
    1-1 looking for more!! Beat LA!!

42. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:15 pm

there is too much on for me to keep track of. I’m trying to watch the Masters, the Ohtani no hitter and the Giants game. OVERLOAD!!!!!!! lol

• Macdog said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:17 pm

There’s one less thing you have to follow now.

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Semien just got a hit.

43. alleykat69 said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:17 pm

No good Action with Jackson meh..

44. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:17 pm

Great AB by Jackson there.

45. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:17 pm

Jackson doing his best to kill the rally.

46. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:18 pm

ok, no hitter busted up. Managing two events is much easier lol

47. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:18 pm

Ohtani gave up a hit. Tell me again why the Giants weren’t interested in this guy? 3 dingers in the first week and some dominant pitching?

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Ohtani was only going to the AL, so he could DH.

• Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:21 pm

I seem to recall him getting very little love here and other places.

48. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Couple of shit at bats to end that inning. Whatever happened to taking a strike before hacking away?

49. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Tomlinson is probably the only bench guy that can be counted on for consistently quality ABs.

50. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:30 pm

ok how bout a MCClutchen bomb to end this bitch? It’s been nearly 18 hours or so, I’m ready for him to do it again

51. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:32 pm

pffftttt fuck that guy. 🙂

52. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:37 pm

damn. Thought Longo got enough of that one.

53. James said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Well hit by Longoria, but Fields threw like two pitches that were actual strikes over the entire inning.

54. Macdog said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:39 pm

Like him or not, a well-earned green jacket for Reed.

55. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:39 pm

Reed wins. Fuck him.

56. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:40 pm

Pretty tepid response for Reed. He played a hell of a tournament.

57. willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:41 pm

“Absolutely something he (Bellinger) works on..” as he beats the shift…hmmnn.

58. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Yeah, Reed’s great—if you like playing with a guy who cheats on his score and empties the wallet you left in the locker room. Man, fuck that guy. I don’t care if he says he changed or that he won today. The guy is a snake. A lumpy snake.

59. alleykat69 said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Yeah Fuck Reed!
    If he didn’t win it he probably would of snuck in to Butlers Cabin and stole a green ..

60. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:51 pm

I don’t know where they fuck they dug this Pierce Johnson asshole up from, but he just pitched Kyle Farmer like he was Babe Fucking Ruth. What a POS.

61. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Farmer beat the Giants last year on a bloop to right field.

62. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Did Jansen even throw a strike to Sandoval?

• James said, on April 8, 2018 at 3:59 pm

• willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:01 pm

exactly.

63. willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Guess I can live with Sando coming off bench and playing once a week.
    But, same same old. Never swung at a strike the whole AB. No batting coach is gonna change that either.

64. Macdog said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:10 pm

What a bullshit way to end it. And the Jackson AB was the killer.

65. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:10 pm

So tired of watching Belt strike out on borderline pitches. Swing the fucking bat with 2 strikes in that situation.
    Anyway…..
    None of the three things I wanted to happen, happened. The A’s didn’t get no hit. The Giants didn’t win. And Patrick Reed didn’t blow the Masters and get robbed on the way to the parking lot. Actually I’m still gonna hold out for that parking lot robbery, that could still happen.

• alleykat69 said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:13 pm

More like Reed won’t even pay his caddy the POS..

66. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:10 pm

Belt called out on strikes. Shocker.

67. alleykat69 said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Fuck Belt yeah it was a ball but fucking swing the fucking bat and not leave it up to the fucking umpire..Fuuckkk!!!

68. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Belt with a big thud. Same ol’ same ol’

69. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:20 pm

I just tweeted something very similar to Larry Kreuger who was whining about Belt not getting that call. Baggs and I are right here

70. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:23 pm

Belt’s gotta understand that the ump can call strike three there, end the game, and be off to dinner. It doesn’t make it right, but that’s the way it is, until we get automated homeplate umps.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:45 pm

he’s so fucking stubborn. Same thing with him failing to ever take a free double down the left field line.

71. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:33 pm

this article is a couple of years old, and it’s long, but it’s a good one. My favorite part was imagining all of his uppity, spoiled rotten golf teammates huddling together in meetings trying to figure out what to do with Reed. Hilarious…

72. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:36 pm

this is irritating, I thought this guy would be a bust

73. willedav said, on April 8, 2018 at 4:59 pm

End of both series vs. LA disappointing, but Giants are 4-4 .500 overall and 3-3 vs. LA. If you’d told me that coming out of ST I’d have been very OK with it. They’ve still only given up 2 HRs and hit 10. Rest of month, we’ll see

3 here vs. AZ (currently 7-2)
    4 on road vs. @%&*! Padres
    3 on road vs. AZ
    3 on road at Angels (currently 7-3)
    3 here vs. Nats
    3 here vs. LA again plus the make up

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Yeah, .500 was the goal for April, and they’re at it so far.

74. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Dodgers play two vs. Oakland. The A’s are such a quirky team. They’ve got some power hitters who can run into a few.

75. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Harper HR in his first AB. 6 total already.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Imagine him in a Giants uni next season. Ha!

76. sandog said, on April 8, 2018 at 5:53 pm

I’m happy for Reed. He’s one helluva putter, that’s for sure. Cracks me up he has his brother in law caddy for him. Does that guy even know half the shit that most caddies know, I wonder? Didn’t bother me seeing McIlroy melt down. I made some bets on the Masters while in Reno. Only guys I had left for the weekend were Zach Johnson, Shaufele, and Kuchar. Some of my golf buddies think I look and move a lot like Kuchar—even I agree we have similar builds and mannerisms.
    I noticed on one of the Masters feeds yesterday Kuchar tossed an apple in the azaleas after taking a couple of bites and then pulled some pieces out of his mouth to feed the fish off the Byron Nelson bridge. Then he called Jon Rahm over to show him the fish. It is Saturday in arguably the biggest major and they’re fucking around on the bridge feeding the fish—which I thought was funny. Rahm stopped on the bridge again today and tried to feed the fish. Anyone notice that?
    Taped Giants game and was gonna watch it now, but then accidentally saw the score. I did have to scroll through and find the Montefusco interview. He really injected some life into the franchise back in the 70’s. Any other cool old time Giant interviews?

• djloo27 said, on April 8, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Avoiding scores is a real problem these days…

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:22 pm

i don’t even try. I embrace knowing everything about everything in real time. lqtm

77. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:04 pm

The 80s commercials crack me up . . .

78. Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:24 pm

just unfriended twinfan on facebook. Creepy getting a reminder today about his birthday.

• djloo27 said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Did anyone ever post anything about his passing?

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:42 pm

no,he wasn’t active on facebook at all. He signed up and then ghost shipped it

• James said, on April 8, 2018 at 8:41 pm

There’s probably no one to help shut down the account. Facebook as quasi-purgatory.

79. James said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:04 pm

I was going to announce a new service, a daily Cody Bellinger Free Doubles Down the LF Line Alert, to help promote awareness and outrage over how often other left handed pull hitters in the league not playing for SF are beating the shift. However, after finishing my plate of roast chicken and looking at his 2017 regular season spray chart, I found out that, much to my chagrin, Cody had butcher boy’d/grounded exactly zero free doubles down the LF line last year:

80. James said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:25 pm

Naturally an old school hack like Baggarly doesn’t get it quite right. Of the 12 pitches to McCutchen, 5 were up. Of those, only one was not a strike:

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:33 pm

The umps are fallible humans. I just think Belt should factor that in a little more than he does, especially late in close games.

• James said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:45 pm

Yes, but I could also pull up the 2017 pitch chart for Belt. I won’t bother, but here’s what I’d find, just as surely as I knew Bellinger doesn’t practice beating the shift:

1. When Belt swings at a pitch at the top of the zone or above, he misses far more often than not.
        2. A fair number of pitches at the top of zone actually get called balls, favoring Belt.

After taking the nasty down and in cutter from Jansen for a ball — a better pitch than the one he got rung up on — why should he swing at the one nearly at his shoulders?

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:56 pm

The optics are just real bad for Belt on that. The Dodger guy tomahawked a worse pitch than that for a hit.

• James said, on April 8, 2018 at 10:02 pm

Belt has the eye of Barry Bonds and the talent of Brandon Belt. The optics will never be good for him, which is why he’s my favorite Giant 🙂

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 10:07 pm

May he greatly reward you (and us) for that this season. 🙂

• James said, on April 8, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Barring another conk on the head, I’m confident his stubbornness will quietly reward us all, even if only a handful of thick-skinned cognoscenti cheer him on.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 10:50 pm

81. djloo27 said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Seems like hardly anyone in baseball can get around on the high hard one anymore.
    Maybe cause you can’t really uppercut it?

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:42 pm

I would say so.

82. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Ohtani had a great week. It’s a long long season, though. The big question is if he can maintain the two-way thing over the long haul.

83. zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:47 pm

The way catchers are yanking pitches into the strikezone these days to frame pitches has gotten ridiculous. If umps are getting fooled by that, then we really need automated umping.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2018 at 9:58 pm

Grandal gave that pitch to Belt a big yank. Maybe the ump was fooled by that, which is sad.

84. willedav said, on April 9, 2018 at 7:10 am

Belt does seem to prefer pitches in lower part of zone and even beyond, especially in middle of plate. those are the ones he powers to deep CF/LCF. So I can understand his reluctance to swing at outside pitches up at top of zone. and he’s not only LH on team that struggles with high fastball.

but… he is going to face the shift a lot. so if the pitcher does throw something outside he does have lot more open space. Being more adept at beating the shift beside slamming one off the wall would be a good thing.