Big Weekend

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 26, 2018

Got a day to stew on yesterday’s beat down. It could be worse. We could be Dodger fans. There’s something not right with Kershaw. When was the last time that dude walked 6 guys?

We have 4 big home games coming up, 2 on Saturday. Till then I might go check out the “Ohtani tracker” at espn. Gotta know what’s going on over there….

1. wilcojoe said, on April 26, 2018 at 6:34 am

The Angels just left Houston after taking 2 of 3, but no thanks to Ohtani. He started on Tuesday and gave up 4 runs thru 5 innings while walking 5. He didn’t bat once during the series.

• Flavor said, on April 26, 2018 at 6:59 am

Maybe espn will finally take down that stupid “ohtani tracker” off its main tab list

2. alleykat69 said, on April 26, 2018 at 6:56 am

Gonna be a long day of baseball on Saturday.Giants are cheap clearing out the stadium for the second game.

3. willedav said, on April 26, 2018 at 7:31 am

nobody does old school DHs these days. Those were lot of fun; started hitting them in HS late 60s at Stick. Me and buddies would catch bus in Sunnyvale at Evelyn st. station by downtown and off we went, with lunches packed. We were there the day T Cloninger went off iirc (tho that was not DH day) and also day warriors lost championship to Wilt’s Sixers NBA finals.

OK off day b-ball trivia: Pelicans have outstanding guard Jrue Holiday. His older brother Justin played for Warriors and their younger bro Aron led UCLA in scoring as junior this year and likely hits NBA next season.

Name 4 brothers from another family who all played in NBA.

• gianthead said, on April 26, 2018 at 7:53 am

Im going Smith..

• gianthead said, on April 26, 2018 at 7:53 am

Were there 4 Barrys???

• djloo27 said, on April 26, 2018 at 8:46 am

Felipe played in the Cloninger game while son Moises was being born…

4. gianthead said, on April 26, 2018 at 7:51 am

Ill take 2 out 3 every series and the opponent could score 100 in a loss and would equal a one run loss.

5. willedav said, on April 26, 2018 at 7:51 am

Strat in Miss on paternity list for birth of couple’s second child. Holland stats tmw, Strat supposed to be back for the DH. Was surprised to see Gomez name in yesterday’s box but he is the replacement extra guy SF is allowed just for the DH Saturday. Otherwise he or someone else has to go back to Sac, per Schulman.

6. unca_chuck said, on April 26, 2018 at 8:53 am

My bitch for a while now is they could shorten the season by a week by scheduling 1-2 DHs a month.

But the greedy owners would charge for both games. I mean, who loves a good snow-out?

Shit, wasn’t the last Barry kid just signed by the Knicks? That would be 5.

7. unca_chuck said, on April 26, 2018 at 8:58 am

We had the All-Alou outfield in the 60s, and the all Gary outfield (Gary Maddox, Gary Matthews, and Gary Thomason) in the 70s.

Shit we had such a solid OF that we gave away George Foster. Course we traded Matthews and Maddox as well.

Duh.

Old article about the OF woes, but it still applies.

The payoff line of the article (written in 2011) is . . .

. . . and check back in a few years on Thomas Neal, Francisco Peguero and Gary Brown.

Riiiiiight. Thomas Neal’s stellar 2 year career highlight was nothing. 15 games, 41 ABs. 7 hits, 1 double. Naturally, he’s out hitting coach now. His proudest moment? He was traded for Orlando Cabrera.

Francisco Peguero is at least a pro ball player. In Japan.

Gary Brown’s head of course served as a bongo drum for Hunter Pence. Who himself is now a piece of furniture. Brown’s career? 7 ABs. 3 hits. All singles.

• djloo27 said, on April 26, 2018 at 9:18 am

Mays hit his 600th homer as a pinch hitter for George Foster…

• unca_chuck said, on April 26, 2018 at 9:30 am

No kidding. I didn’t know that.

8. alleykat69 said, on April 26, 2018 at 9:44 am

Yeah I was fortunate to see all 3 of the fastest OF they ever had play at the same time.Matthews,Maddox,&Bobby Bonds put them up against any team back then and now..

• unca_chuck said, on April 26, 2018 at 10:04 am

Back when they played on the concrete that was the Stick astroturf. That was the hardest field in the league.

• unca_chuck said, on April 26, 2018 at 10:06 am

I think they switched to astroturf when the Niners came in ’71? I remember the grass, then the switch to astroturf, then the switch back in ’78 when OJ came to the Niners.

9. djloo27 said, on April 26, 2018 at 11:10 am

The Barrys weren’t brothers…

• willedav said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:09 pm

only 3 made it to NBA.
      Hint: large family and all 4 went to same school.

• djloo27 said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:14 pm

Tripuckas?

• unca_chuck said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Scooter, Drew, Jon, and Brent are all Rick’s kids. Canyon was apparently on the Knicks but is in Croatia or something

10. djloo27 said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:19 pm

My pal here says the Zeller brothers from Duke. Personally, I never heard of them…

• unca_chuck said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Is your pal Barney Google?

• djloo27 said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:31 pm

I remember him, Chuck.

11. unca_chuck said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:24 pm

I guess Scooter never made the NBA.

12. willedav said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Loo didn’t know that about Moises. The Felipe Alou bio book is out and I’ll have to get that. Looking it up on amazon everyone seems to love it. He was pretty religious guy something else I never knew.

So is Mariano Rivera. I enjoyed his bio a lot.
    fun fact: he wanted to be an OF when he grew up in Panama and found his cut fastball by accident playing catch with a buddy who noticed the movement.

• Macdog said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:43 pm

I found the answer, though I did so reading an article about one of those brother combos. This is a tough one, and there’s no way I would’ve got this on my own.

• willedav said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:46 pm

ha. I was waiting for you! I only remembered 3 of them and one I wasn’t sure whether he got to the NBA or not.

13. sandog said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Caldwell Jones had a couple of brothers who played. Major Jones was one. I don’t think Edgar Jones was from the same family, but am I on the right track?

• willedav said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:57 pm

Got it SD!
      Caldwell Major Wil and Charles who all attended Albany St. Div II school in Georgia.
      Edgar’s from Oaktown I think and went to Nevada Reno.

• Macdog said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Yep, close enough, great job Sandog!

14. alleykat69 said, on April 26, 2018 at 12:47 pm

My answer is Wilt Chamberlin if he banged 25,000 woman he had to have a shitload of sons playing in the NBA..

15. Macdog said, on April 26, 2018 at 1:20 pm

Snakes keep rolling along, win 2 of 3 in Philly.

16. xoot said, on April 26, 2018 at 2:34 pm

I miss this guy.

• xoot said, on April 26, 2018 at 2:35 pm

oh shit, I’m sorry. I just meant to leave the link. yikes!

• Flavor said, on April 26, 2018 at 4:27 pm

it’s fine. It’s funny.

17. unca_chuck said, on April 26, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Who is Cami? Ken Caminiti? And no, that was ronnie Lott.

• xoot said, on April 26, 2018 at 4:30 pm

yeah

18. Flavor said, on April 26, 2018 at 6:25 pm

San Dawg is the trivia king.

19. zumiee said, on April 26, 2018 at 6:39 pm

On this date, 29 years ago, this cool thing happened.

• zumiee said, on April 26, 2018 at 7:29 pm

It gets forgotten that the Giants lost this game; but, of course, went on to win the Pennant.

20. mrsprtdude said, on April 26, 2018 at 9:22 pm

Just read on the Athletic that Curry is a likely go for game 1. I’m not a fan of that. Rushing back your $200 Mil guy is not smart