A Wow! Loss

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 8, 2018

Not a good night for Bay Area run differential. -25 for the both of them. I wonder if that’s some sort of modern day record or something. Gonna have to check with Elias Sports. How do you do that? When I was a kid I used to think it was some dude named Elias who had all the stats on everyone. He was a freaking genius. Anyway, shout out to that company for staying relevant despite the internet taking over…..

Today could be another rough one. I hold out more hope that Smarge can recapture the magic than I do that Derek Holland is useful.

I don’t sweat big losses like last night’s. It looks bad, it’s just one loss. They had a let down, they’re traveling on the other side of the country, not a huge deal…..

1. willedav said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:49 am

Cueto news on good side offsets Smrdz. At least to hear him talk it’s not Zito trust my stuff nonsense, tho it is comical in its own way. He says he hasn’t had chance to work on regaining command of his slider while trying to build back arm strength. “You want to be smart about it. To go out and throw 50 pitch bullpens is probably not the best route.”

OK, so how is your route going so far? And trusting Smrdz to be smart about things, um wow.

2. willedav said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:00 am

I know Flav always deflects this stuff, but most annoying thing about reading online are the bombardment of ads you have to delete and mess with just to get through an article.
    F/G sucks for this their ads never disappear; cbs sports site has tons of them too, with audio everywhere, and their gametracker pages have tweets overwhelmed every half inning with ads.
    Other news sites demand subscription. OK bye not going there.

cbs and other sites have disabled comments too. On sites like MLBTR F/G SFgate etc., it was the comments from bloggers that were often more interesting insightful and hilarious.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:45 am

Yes. No ads or limiting ads has always been 1 of my priorities here

3. willedav said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:07 am

that is cool pic from zum end of last thread on Ed Bailey. Played for Reds too didn’t he? Old style C mitts were humongous, we had one as kids. Dad and uncle gloves from back in day sadly long gone.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:33 am

I saw it in an online article, maybe at Fangraphs, about 1963 being a year when baseball cards made an improvement in photos of players on cards. The players were put into action poses. I have to admit Bailey’s name didn’t ring a bell with me. He was the back-up catcher, but he did hit an HR in the ’62 Series.

4. zumiee said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:59 am

Fun fact about the ’62 Series: during days of rain delay in the Series, the teams rode buses into the Central Valley and had workouts on the field where the Modesto Nuts now play, Thurmond Field. In those days it was called Del Webb Field, and the team was called the Modesto Reds.

5. sfsarge said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:04 am

Hey Flappers! Been out dealing with life stuff. Hope you all are doing well.

That’s the beauty of baseball, you can get demolished one night and then come back the next and have a decent game.

6. chipower9 said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:16 am

Watched the first three innings with friends at one of the local watering holes. Smardge continues to look awful. His velocity was the only thing good about his outing. And fuck that shit about this being “his extended spring training.” Throw some fucking strikes and put up some zeros, already. SMH…

Anyway, I had to hit the store, got home and immediately dropped into cooking dinner, and lost track of the game. Thank fucking goodness. But agree, it is one game and not tripping on it.

I am with ya on Holland, Flav. Hope he can prove me wrong, keep it close, and that our bats take us to another W, but not holding my breath.

Warriors are 14-0 at home in the playoffs since Durant joined the team. I suspect they make that 15-0 tonight, and send the Pelicans packing…

Good to see ya here, Sarge. Missed seeing you at the yard on Opening Day, brother.

• sfsarge said, on May 8, 2018 at 11:37 am

Yeah wish I could’ve been there. Maybe next year.

7. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:28 am

Off topic . . . slow burn on this New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman’s horrendous physical abuse allegations (and the smokescreen of him being a leading proponent of the #MeToo movement). Fucking snake. Worse, is the DC moron caught on tape saying “When you’re a star, they let you do it … You can do anything” and despite facing more than a dozen allegations of inappropriate sexual behavior, Trump not only survived but thrived. Last, but not least – are the sick voters who allowed him to be President.

All of this shit has been surreal over the last year or so.

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:51 am

I can’t watch the news anymore. Every day it’s another “Breaking news! Trump will go down for this!”

The only way he’s ousted is if the dems take every seat in the house and the senate up for grabs in the mid-terms. And it still won’t be enough. The Republican leadership is fine with letting Trump piss on the Constitution, remove every safeguard in place for environmental concerns, and turn this country into a banana republic. Let’s have a military parade while vets die in the streets.

Nevermind.

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2018 at 9:28 am

I am with you guys. What is happening to our country under tRump’s guidance (not worthy of calling it leadership) makes my blood boil.

• xoot said, on May 8, 2018 at 11:25 am

obvious, but still worth remorse, is the Supreme Court. If one of the principled codgers kicks the bucket while Trump’s pretending to be President we’ll really be screwed for a long long time.

• gianthead said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:52 am

And Trump’s popularity keeps slowly increasing (Russmussen has had hin hittong 50% last couple of weeks and was only pollster to predict his electoral win)…especially in the majority of states in this country in which voted for him…

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 9:23 am

well he’s at 0% in my hood and the bullshit Rasmussen polls can go fuck themselves.

• xoot said, on May 8, 2018 at 11:07 am

We’ll see Trump’s approval rating gauged accurately in November.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 9:24 am

Schneiderman is that fuck who torpedoed DFS in New York a few years back so he can go fuck himself for that, too

8. Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 9:21 am

timmy

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2018 at 9:33 am

Miss this guy and wish him the best. He hasn’t pitched yet for Texas, has he? Cannot find any 2018 stats other than an inning at AAA.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 9:54 am

this was his first rehab start so we’ll see what happens

• xoot said, on May 8, 2018 at 11:31 am

I think Texas comes back to Oakland for a series in August. Some games for the a’s in Texas before that. Be great to see Lincecum on the mound again.

9. willedav said, on May 8, 2018 at 10:05 am

7300 announced attendance at Mausoleum last night. Man wish I could get away and catch WS Champ Stros, in an intimate environment no less.

Noticed (can’t watch much of road games mid week) SF made 3 more errors, arrggh. Especially on ground balls, gotta get those and save wear and tear on SPs. The OFs (Blanco Gorks AJ) have messed up picking up ground ball base hits too and the extra base puts RISP.

• alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2018 at 10:48 am

Yeah a groundball to Gorky in the outfield really should be made,what a dipshit..

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 12:11 pm

I’m thinking the same thing. But tomorrow. Want to watch the Warriors. Damnit! Tomorrow is a day game and I’m working from home today. Shoulda thought this out better , . ,.

There’s always the Yankers on friday.

10. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2018 at 10:53 am

DJ Snelten (Rusty the Robot) needs to disappear before this road trip in.He’s almost as annoying to watch as Gearrin. Had to stop the game last night cause his stupid glasses 👓 fogged up..geez this guys useless..

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 10:56 am

He’s gone, kuip saw him in the lobby this morning with his suitcase

11. willedav said, on May 8, 2018 at 11:20 am

Talk about famous b-days…Robert Johnson May 8 1911.
    I think my fav of his was Terraplane Blues.

gotta woman that i’m lovin/ buzz of the bottleneck before end of the verse
    way down in Arkansas

Stix when he talked about Tim Hudson used to use Terraplane with his name since that was manufacturer of the car, something I never knew

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2018 at 1:07 pm

King of the Delta Blues…Terrapalne Blues is great. Probably my favorite Robert Johnson song is 32-20 Blues.

• xoot said, on May 8, 2018 at 2:12 pm

that’s a great one, Chi. “but I believe it’s most too light”–right?

12. Irish Kevin said, on May 8, 2018 at 12:26 pm

One game no big deal, if the win the next 2 they win The series, which is far more important. I take it Bochy is going to continue to throw Strickland out there till Meloncholy is back? What is th story with him, have not heard anything

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Melatonin is on the 60 day DL. Here is the most current news I could find…

Mark Melancon (forearm) threw a 20-pitch bullpen session Saturday.
      It was his first since hitting the disabled list in late March with the forearm injury, and he told San Francisco Chronicle reporter Henry Schulman that he’s “100 percent.” Despite there being no timetable for his next step, Melancon said he’s hoping to return when first eligible on May 25. He hasn’t thrown a pitch for the Giants yet this year, and even when he does return there’s a good chance Hunter Strickland will retain the closer job if he’s still pitching effectively. May 5 – 4:56 PM
      Source: Henry Schulman on Twitter

13. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on May 8, 2018 at 12:42 pm

So if Bumgarner and Cueto do return, maybe Samardzija should be the long reliever.
    Right now, Suarez is the #1, Stratton #2, Blach #3, Samardzija #4, Holland a distant fifth.
    Not sure how the 40 man roster works, but someone has to go, soon. The best option in Sacramento is Dereck Rodriguez, call him up and give him a shot.

14. chipower9 said, on May 8, 2018 at 1:19 pm

1. Gregor Blanco (L) LF
    2. Andrew McCutchen (R) RF
    3. Buster Posey (R) C
    4. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    5. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    6. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    7. Alen Hanson (S) 2B
    8. Austin Jackson (R) CF
    9. Derek Holland (S) P

• alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Bochys bromance continues with Blanco at the top of the order..

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 2:05 pm

Yep, Blanco 1-12 in three straight games batting leadoff . . . which is generally what happens when Blanco starts playing every day.

• xoot said, on May 8, 2018 at 2:11 pm

exactly right. His first game at the top he drilled a triple down the RF line. Virtually nothing since. Makes no sense when Wild Man Clank Hanson’s playing.

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 2:48 pm

“Wild Man Clank Hanson.”

Good one!

15. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Yeah, but per everything I have read, “Blanco is having good at bats.” Whatever the fuck that means . . . Beyond maddening. Regarding the starting 5, the key is pitch count and chewing up innings. We don’t want our outstanding bullpen dragging by the end of May.

16. Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 3:51 pm

NY Daily News, among others, report Mets trade Matt Harvey to Reds for catcher Devin Mesoraco.

17. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Thank God it ain’t us.

The Matt Harvey Experience will be a bad one,.

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Yeah, good thing the Giants weren’t playing the Mets this week.

18. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 4:15 pm

At least the Mets got the guy with the cooler name…

19. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 4:45 pm

Who;s announcing with Kuip?

He got off a pretty funny line. Kuip said Holland is 2-23 this season. The other guy said, “so, you’re saying there’s a chance.”

20. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Got the bloop, need the blast.

21. Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 4:57 pm

i’m getting ready for another young guy to come up. Blach worked out. Suarez worked out.Holland sucks.

22. Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:02 pm

Again with the crappy outfield defense.

23. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:03 pm

I thought that last pitch was going to be hit to California . . . dude just missed it.

24. Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:05 pm

25. Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Thank god Nola swung.

26. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Fucking Blanco

• xoot said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:46 pm

on tv Kuiper was merciless. more or less: “Gregor. Oh, Gregor. And here’s what that looked like, in slow motion.”

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:46 pm

It was as if he wouldn’t be satisfied till he got picked off…

27. sandog said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:41 pm

I would have been fine with the Giants taking a flyer on Harvey–especially at that bargain price. Our park would have been great for him and I think our cosmopolitan market would have worked for him too. Agree that Cinci seems like an awful fit. He obviously only accomplished a fraction of what Timmy did, but their stories are somewhat similar.
    Maybe he’s done, but I heard Ron Darling say he thought the Mets gave up on him a little quickly–and I agree.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Completely agree…

• sandog said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:55 pm

If I gave you guys an over/under of 7 Quality Starts for Harvey for the rest of 2018, what would you take?

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:56 pm

i will take the under.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:03 pm

I would take the under, but I would still have taken a shot on him…

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:05 pm

Under.

28. Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:47 pm

I think that’s four times I’ve seen someone get picked off first this season. It shouldn’t happen four times for the whole season. What the fuck is going on over there? Maybe shit-can the first-base coach.

29. Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 5:54 pm

There it is:

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:09 pm

What’s really exasperating is the fact that Blanco is a veteran. I would expect something like what happened to him to happen to a rookie like Hanson (although I bet Hanson would have learned something after being almost picked off the 1st time . . . Not block head Blanco).

30. Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:01 pm

on the radio this am Kuip GUARANTEED that if Holland gave up four runs or less the Giants would win. He’s got a ways to go to bring that baby home

31. Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:07 pm

Kuip: “Gearrin looks hacked off after the HR.’ Um, maybe Smarge and Gearrin need to get pissed off BEFORE they start giving up bombs……

32. Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:08 pm

San Dawg I’ll make that bet with you and I’ll make the o/u 3.5. Let’s bet beers at the next Reno encounter. Dig?

• sandog said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Wager.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:25 pm

sweet. that’ll give me some interest in the Reds this year.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Probably more than anyone in Cincinnati has…

33. Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:18 pm

No one struck out in the 7th, that’s progress.

34. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Thankfully, no more Nola.

35. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Crawford looks terrible. His OBP of .278 isn’t a surprise.

36. Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:30 pm

Pablo. Nice.

37. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:30 pm

Sando!

38. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Blanco working the K.

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Or the ꓘ.

39. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:34 pm

See what a half-million can buy? Shoulda grabbed Harvey…

40. Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Law looks like a goofier mustash free version of Holland

41. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:52 pm

Is this Kingery related to the former Giant flop?

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Guess not.
        Homerless in 353 PA as a Giant…

• sandog said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:56 pm

No. I don’t remember us having a Kingery. I was wondering if he is the son of former Mariner OF Mike, but I just checked and he is not.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Mike was an SF GIant dawg

• sandog said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Crap. Didnt remember Mike being on the Giants.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:00 pm

i did. He stunk. But I don’t think I’d call him a bust, I think he was just some dude we picked up.

• sandog said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:03 pm

I’d be impressed if Duggar could put together a Mike Kingery level career.
        I’d probably bet the under on that one.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:57 pm

i don’t think so

42. chipower9 said, on May 8, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Just getting home. Damn! What a play by Craw to end th 8th.

43. chipower9 said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Regardless, get the get-away tomorrow, and they’re still over .500 on the roadie.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:04 pm

agreed.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Two more in Philly.
        Afternoon game on Thursday (10:00 AM for you guys)

• xoot said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:36 pm

streamed exclusively on facebook. no tv.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Time for a class action suit against MLB TV?

• xoot said, on May 8, 2018 at 9:25 pm

we’ll need a charismatic lead plaintiff. DJLoo et al. v. MLB?

44. Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Phuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkin’ awful.

45. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:02 pm

17ks.

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Fuck. Seriously? Jesus.

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Jackson with 3Ks, and everyone else with 2 a piece except for Hanson and Cutch both with 1 each.

46. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Wood’s going limp.

47. xoot said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:05 pm

about half the time the Giants don’t seem to understand how the high SO trade off is supposed to work.

48. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:05 pm

Ahhhh, it’s Javyu Lopez. Wondering who the other guy was.

49. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:06 pm

You don’t have to be Bob Gibson to strikeout 17 Giants…

50. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:08 pm

I can’t believe the shift I saw with Crawfish at the plate and a runner on 1st. Look for a pitch away and just fucking bunt it for a base hit. It was fucking 2-1 at the time. Push it past the pitcher.

51. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:22 pm

I saw Jason Schmidt’s 16 K game. Went by in a flash. 2 hours and 10 minutes or something like that,

52. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:23 pm

How long do we keep running actionless out there? Blanco? Jesus. It/s somnambulists row. , . . . .

53. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Wait’ll you see the highlight of Stanton failing to slide home.
    Absolutely unfathomable to me.
    Of course Yankee announcers make nothing of it…

• sandog said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:28 pm

Keith Hernandez would never put up with that!

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Damn right! Keith woulda crucified him…

• sandog said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Keith goes ape-shit when the on-deck batter doesn’t get the bat out of way and give the slide/stand signal to a teammate on plays at the plate.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Right Dog, although this was a run on contact play – he really shouldn’t have needed any guidance…

54. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:29 pm

I remember Kingery fairly well. He had no upper body strength.
    He was built like a carrot…

55. zumiee said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:32 pm

A. J. Pollock goes yard early on the Dodgers.

56. Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:41 pm

no homeruns in two games in a hitter friendly park. With all these K’s, no bombs is not gonna fly…..

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:42 pm

actually Panda hit a pinch bomb, my bad

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Point still taken, Tough to hit bombs when the ball isn’t put in play.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Miller said it was Sandoval’s first career PH HR. I found that very surprising.

57. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Stanton hit 2 tonight. I don’t think either one woulda gone out at AT&T…

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:51 pm

For #2: You can say that about pretty much every HR hit to that ridiculously short RF.

58. zumiee said, on May 8, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Owings also HR vs. Rich Hill.

59. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:10 pm

This can’t be true – I just cut and pasted this from the ESPN article:

“Jackson made an error in the third when he failed to pick up the ball cleanly on the warning track, allowing Hernandez to reach third on a double and giving the center fielder 11 miscues in the last five games for San Francisco. The Giants entered second in the majors behind Texas with 28 errors this season.”

11 fucking errors????

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Baseball Reference has him down for 2 this season.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:18 pm

11 must be the team total in 5 games. Still very high.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Could it be the total of errors committed by all Giant CFs in the past 5 games?

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:17 pm

That was poorly worded. The Giants have 11 errors in the last five games.

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:25 pm

Yeah, I just went back and checked all of the 5 box scores and the tally is 11 total.

60. zumiee said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:16 pm

D-Backs hit their 3rd HR off Hill.

61. zumiee said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Matt Kemp is hitting .357. That’s crazy.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:33 pm

As did Roberto Clemente in 1967…

62. zumiee said, on May 8, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Fun fact:
    The three no-hitters this season so far were thrown in three different countries.

63. snarkk said, on May 8, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Holland gave up 3 in 5 frames: That’s not good, but that’s not horrendous in the Philly bandbox.
    I’m thinking Beede would love to do that.
    You can’t win many when you K 17X…

64. snarkk said, on May 8, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Dubs smokin’ again in a third quarter…

65. zumiee said, on May 8, 2018 at 9:28 pm

Goldy is really struggling. Really he just had that one great series against the Giants, and he’s done little besides that.

66. xoot said, on May 8, 2018 at 9:46 pm

the Warriors sure can get sloppy. Final 2 minutes will be unnecessarily interesting.

67. zumiee said, on May 8, 2018 at 10:13 pm

D-Backs closer blows the save.