The Problem of The Five Fives

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 21, 2018

What we know for sure: There are five of them. And they aren’t very good. If they were hitters they’d be snapped up by The Bowker Gang in an nanosecond. Their ladies are big as houses….

Actually I don’t know about that last one.

But there is definitely a problem with these 5 sordid soldiers. Their ceiling is low, their floor so far down I can barely see it.

But we need these 5 felicitous fellows as there are not 5 better chosen to do this type of shit job…..

The bullpen is ragged. The bats are tired. But it’s all hands on deck until we get Bum and Cueto back and Smarge stops slumming with these dudes….

This road trip is gonna be….my advice is to look away. Just look away….

1. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 7:08 am

Well, the Atl seeep was wholly unexpected. The hope is the bats stay hot and they call up the Oaf to bolster the lineup. Any more of the 3 amigos in the OF may slow the roll.

Gork at least Starting to pull his weight.

2. willedav said, on May 21, 2018 at 7:12 am

nice one from Loo end of thread, possibility of exciting playoff race NL West something no one thought was going to happen. Didn’t Pads (Bochy or before) win the division once 82-80 record?
    Memorable race early 60s where 3 teams iirc had chance to win on last day.

NL Central 4 teams within game and a half. In East Nats are in 4th and 4 back.

3. willedav said, on May 21, 2018 at 7:20 am

Fun fact: Over lunch with my godson’s little bro and his fiancée I learned her unit stationed at Moffett Field got on the floor at Oracle as color guard before a playoff game year Warriors lost to Cavs. She said some really tall guy with B in his name high fived her and was trying to remember his name. I guessed Bogut but it turned out to be L Barbosa. They got 2 seats high up for the game.

Only sat courtside couple times, but even then it’s amazing how tall all these guys really are, even Curry. And with physiques that are just chiseled.

4. willedav said, on May 21, 2018 at 7:35 am

2005 Pads under Bochy won West 82-80, despite negative 38 run differential. How did that happen?
    D Roberts played CF Peavy won 13 games Nevin played 1b Ryan Klesko too.

• Macdog said, on May 21, 2018 at 8:12 am

That was the year Bonds played only 14 games.

5. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 21, 2018 at 7:42 am

I’m liking this season so far because I have absolutely no idea what’s going to happen (unlike last year, when it was very clear early on how that season was going to go) and I’m perfectly willing to go along for the ride, as long as it’s interesting. Any team except SD could win this division; I could see LA slowly putting it together and taking it while the Giants sink like a stone, eventually too overwhelmed by all of the events mentioned in Craig’s lead, and I could also see the lead changing hands among several teams, several times, with the Giants right there in it. I actually can’t remember a time when I had *a team* and had no idea who was pitching the next couple of games, and being absolutely ok with that, because, WTF not…

6. chipower9 said, on May 21, 2018 at 7:49 am

I missed the early part of the game (we were at a party and I was following a bit on the phone). At 4-1 in the fifth I took a break. We get in the truck around the 7th, and it is tied. And then with back-to-back bombs, Giants win going away. Take ‘em any way you can get ‘em, especially with this roadie coming up.

At least they get a day off today for travel, and then another between Houston and Chitown.

I get it that the SP has been bad, but they had a +.500 home stand. Also, as Charlie mentioned, they surprised the hell out of us in Hotlanta, so I am hoping for more pleasant surprises, but also not holding my breath. As you mentioned a couple of threads ago Flav, I would be ecstatic with 3-5.

And the ducking fodgers are showing life with a sweep of the Nats. They’re only five out.

Giants get a chance for some payback to the Phils on the next homestand, and we also get three with Zona, then another tough roadie in mid-June.

Humm Baby!

7. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on May 21, 2018 at 8:03 am

If you look at NL team pitching stats, the forest isn’t thriving, that’s for sure. Still, it’s not all dead wood, and two of their three best starters have yet to throw a pitch for the Giants. Losing Cueto should have been a fatal blow, it wasn’t.
    I was hoping they’d be doing OK in the most important measure of a bullpen, saves/save opportunities. They’re not, 10 for 18 us near or at the bottom. The ERA is bloated, but the high number of blowouts account for a big chunk of it. WHIP? Forget about it.
    They’re last in strikeouts which directly correlates to their third worst BAA. As good as their infield is, you want Posey and Hundley getting most of the putouts.
    They’re average for HRs allowed, which considering their home park, is below average.
    OK, there is a category in which they’re above average, albeit it’s the red headed stepchild of pitching stats. They’ve got 26 quality starts. If the offense can generate more than 4.5 runs a game, they should finish a game or two above .500, should be enough to win the division.
    So they’ve got five red headed stepchildren in their rotation. Slather them with sun screen and hope Bumgarner, Cueto, and Rodriguez are all at the train station come high noon.

8. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 21, 2018 at 8:33 am

All the talk about the tough upcoming schedule… that’s been the case since the start of the season and I don’t see that changing, because this team is going to be challenged by whomever they’re playing, considering how things are going so far this season. As for this road trip, I see a .500 or better road trip, as resiliency rises to the top. Maybe some really ugly games, but also some surprisingly good ones. But then again, just a week ago I was sensing the wheels were about to completely fall off, so…. I also see the Dodgers rising in the west. So who is the real AZ, the one that looked like they could run away with the division, or the one currently falling apart… And how believable can the Rox ever be…

9. snarkk said, on May 21, 2018 at 8:45 am

I can see this being a 4 win roadie. As long as they hit, because this starting staff ain’t no shut down staff. Why they would not bring up Mac to play in 3 HR friendly parks is a mystery. Does he really need two weeks of rehab? Bochy just doesn’t want to put somebody on waivers…

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2018 at 8:59 am

Someone mentioned the phantom DL possibility. That’s always got to be an awkward conversation with the player.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:21 am

They can play with the rules for sure. Pence went on a 10 day DL, I don’t think they moved him to 60. But he’s been in Sac long enough to start his own coffee shop…

• unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:32 am

“Hey Gregor, how’s your ankle?”

“Uh, fine.”

Doctor pulls out sledgehammer.

“I’m sorry, Gregor, we need to hobble you for a couple weeks.” WHACK!

“Ow!”

10. snarkk said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:28 am

At least this years squad has some sack, it’s competitive. So, it’s worth following. Last years team probably would have rolled over and gotten rockie swept after losing the first two. And, this one has enough hitting that it actually can come back once in a while from an early deficit to win a game. Still, competitive doesn’t translate to a playoff team. Cueto and Bum have to come back and produce for any real hope of that…

11. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:35 am

The best part of this season to me is all the comeback wins. We’ve had more comebacks to win games these last 2 months than in the last 2 seasons combined.

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:44 am

Remember that scene in that Kathy Bates movie I can’t remember the name of it. She sledge-hammered that dude’s ankles. I’ll never forget that

• unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:46 am

Misery. That’s James Caan getting his ankle smashed. In the book, she cuts his foot off with an axe.

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:53 am

That scene freaked me out

12. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:49 am

Speaking of James Caan.

13. Flavor said, on May 21, 2018 at 10:06 am

Misery is one of the few movies I saw right when it came out.

14. chipower9 said, on May 21, 2018 at 10:18 am

Misery? We’re talking about last year’s Giants club?

Agree with Charlie – best part about this club is their ability to come back from deficits.

• unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 12:26 pm

Pretty intense book as well. Loved the movie. Then again I always like James Caan.

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2018 at 3:17 pm

He is incredible in “The Gambler”…

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 21, 2018 at 11:53 am

On the KNBR morning show Krukow alluded to Williamson getting called up so I expect it will happen. The club elevated Gomez from Richmond and some dude named Luigi Rodriguez is tearing it up over there at a clip of .421/.500/.600/1.100. Williamson, Slater, Duggar, Shaw..seems like a lot of outfielders are on the cusp.

16. zumiee said, on May 21, 2018 at 11:55 am

On the MLB Network morning show today they did a big segment about Belt. He’s gaining national attention.

17. zumiee said, on May 21, 2018 at 12:00 pm

I caught a few episodes of a sit-com that James Caan was in a few years ago. I thought it was pretty good. It made me laugh. He portrayed an elderly ex-coach whose middle-aged daughter moves in with him. The show never found an audience, though, and was cancelled after its first season. It’s so hard for shows to get past that first season. Networks aren’t as patient as they were many years ago. If a show doesn’t draw well from the get-go, then it will likely end up cancelled.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Oh, his character was an ex-player. The show is called “Back in the Game.”
      “Baseball might be America’s favorite pastime, but for the Gannon family it’s also in their blood. Terry Gannon Jr. (Psyche’s Maggie Lawson) was an All Star Softball player until life threw her a couple curve balls: a baby, a lost college scholarship and a loser for a husband. After striking out on her own, Terry heads home with her son Danny (Griffin Gluck) in tow and moves in with her estranged father, Terry Sr. aka The Cannon (James Caan). The Cannon is an opinionated, beer-guzzling, ex-athlete who never quite made the cut as a single father or professional baseball player.”

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2018 at 12:06 pm

Add it to the list of quality shows that only got one season, which includes “Firefly,” “Wonderfalls,” and “Keen Eddie.”

18. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Profit was a killer show that only had one year.

Look away!

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Man, that is freaking me out. I still remember the scene . . . As Paul begs for mercy, she wedges a piece of wood between his legs and picks up a sledgehammer, assuring Paul, “It’s for the best.” Then she brings down the hammer and breaks his ankles in two swift strokes. “God, I love you,” she purrs as he writhes in agony.

Cunt

19. chipower9 said, on May 21, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Belt named NL Player of the Week….

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 21, 2018 at 1:58 pm

Belt has logged a hit and a HR in 5 of the last 7 games. If he wasn’t such a puss he’d of gone 4 for 4 in those games.

• chipower9 said, on May 21, 2018 at 2:23 pm

And hit for the cycle at least once in one of those 4 for 4 games…

• unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 2:49 pm

And gotten player of the month

21. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 2:52 pm

Yeah, that was one of the better adaptations of one of King’s books. the others being (of course) Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, and (sort of) the Shining. Liked Kubrick’s version except for Callahan and the rest of the ending.

22. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 2:54 pm

If you haven’t seen Freebie and the Bean, check it out. Great movie set in SF in the early 70s. James Caan and Alan Arkin are too funny as cops who fuck with each other (and everybody else) endlessly.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2018 at 3:07 pm

I saw Arkin interviewed on the Turner Classic Movie channel. Great interview. Interesting fellow, with a long under-rated acting career. He said people still call out “Serpentine!” to him when they see him out in public. He said it was cool. For a while. And then it got pretty old. He says he will still smile and wave at people when they yell out “Serpentine!” but he pretty much wishes it would stop. He does appreciate how beloved “The In-laws” is, though.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2018 at 3:11 pm

I can’t not laugh every time I see this scene. Peter Falk is great in the film, too, of course.

23. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 3:02 pm

And, what’s weird about this season is when we lose, we lose big. We don’t lose many games 8-6, 9-8 10-7 shit like that. When we lose, we lose 12-3, 10-2 and the like. I guess we are hitting in bunches?

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2018 at 3:22 pm

that’s why I don’t give a shit about run diff, especially with only 1/4 of the season gone

• unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Yeah, it’s the argument I’ve been having with James for 4 years! As in if you lose a game 12-2 and win 5 games 2-1 and 1-0, your pitching numbers will look like shit and your hitting numbers will look pretty awful as well. A team that does this doesn’t have pitching problems it has hitting problems.

By extension, the run diff will look like shit even tho the given team is winning.

24. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Chuck, Willie? Who has Stix’s address? I thought I copied it into my notes folder but it isn’t there.

Thanks

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2018 at 5:58 pm

chipower9 said, on May 16, 2018 at 10:49 am (Edit)

Stix’s address:

Carstie Carson*
      20796041
      FCC Elkton
      P.O. Box 10
      Lisbon, Ohio 44432

*I think this was a typo, should be “Clausen” – unless Stix is now hosting the Tonight Show…

25. Flavor said, on May 21, 2018 at 6:14 pm

One thing we should all be able to agree on: Brandon Belt has been the MVP of the team this year. No idea where we’d be without him.

26. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2018 at 6:15 pm

You better watch out
    You better not fly
    Better not spy
    I’m telling you why
    Carstie Clausen’s coming to town

He’s waving a rake
    He’s ready to fight;
    He’s gonna shoot down whoever’s in sight
    Carstie Clausen’s coming to town

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2018 at 6:41 pm

this woulda been solid gold if this were mid-December or so. But it’s May so I’ll just give it a standard “gold” call. Hope you’re ok with that.

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2018 at 7:47 pm

It’s sorta been in my head for some time. I prefer to think of it as a protest song along the lines of Dylan’s “Hurricane”. I think I could write several verses if I put my mind to it. It almost writes itself…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 21, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Lulz. When’s your album drop?

27. wilcojoe said, on May 21, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Totally bummed I will miss the Giants series in Houston this week. My 9 year olds little league team is playing for the city championship on Wed night and we have a practice tomorrow night. I think the Giants take the game against Cole, who despite having a CY Young season is someone the Giants have seen a lot of. For some unexplainable reason the Astros have not hit well at home. Maybe that changes on Wed against Smarge.

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2018 at 7:42 pm

that sucks but the city championship is way more important…..
      And I agree with you, they can beat Cole, not so sure about Verlander.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2018 at 7:44 pm

The Giants could start Sandoval just to troll Verlander.

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Great idea, Zum!

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:15 pm

I love that.
        Even is Panda goes oh for 3, you can’t take away that WS dinger eruption…

28. Macdog said, on May 21, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Bochy damn well better start Sandoval vs. Verlander.

29. zumiee said, on May 21, 2018 at 8:32 pm

The Dodger broadcasters do go on and on about Beuhler. And on and on. And on and on. And on and on. And on and on.

30. zumiee said, on May 21, 2018 at 8:53 pm

There’s that old saying: if you want something done, you have to do it yourself. I think the Giants are the only team that can finish ahead of the Dodgers in the division this season. The D-Backs and Rockies just can’t get it done. The Giants consistently have good season records vs. the Dodgers, but the D-Backs and Rockies just seem to choke when they play the Dodgers.

31. snarkk said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Verlander is in the running for all-time best week last November:
    1. Wins the World Series
    2. Marries Kate Upton
    Not too shabby…

32. zumiee said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:50 pm

The Rockies win with help from a questionable umpire call at the end. A pretty ticky-tacky call, but it went against the Dodgers and we’ll take it.

33. willedav said, on May 21, 2018 at 9:53 pm

Rox just beat them 2-1 in LA and took over first.
    Giants pounded them twice in a row.

Braves, who lead the East and have best record in NL, also got waxed by SF. Go figure.

34. chipower9 said, on May 21, 2018 at 10:43 pm

Loo – thanks for providing Stix’s address. I just got another letter from him on Friday. Purchased a year subscription of the “Giants” magazine for him today. Hope he likes it (six issues and a special 60th Anniversary issue this year. I’ll probably get a sub for myself, too.