Winning Time

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 27, 2018

Tyler Chatwood is beatable if we are patient with him. He has an unseemly 41/40 SO/bb ratio. Seriously, how can you start games and walk that many dudes? Anyway, if Blach can *five* his way through this game I like our chances.

My buddy asked me last night “Isn’t it less satisfying to beat the Rockets without Chris Paul?” And I was like “uh, no, are you an idiot?” Tough luck for them but winnings championships is a long journey that is always worth it no matter how you get there. It’s so hard to get to the top of the mountain. I don’t have any idea what will happen tomorrow night but it’s Game 7 and there isn’t a more fun moment in sports. I can’t decide who I want to win tonight. On one hand I’d like to see Boston stick it to Lebron and watch Cleveland fans weep in unison on twitter. On the other hand, the Cavs would be a cakewalk in the Finals.

At some point James has to slow down. He HAS to. Dude is a machine. He’s better than Jordan the same way Brady is better than Montana.

1. zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:01 am

So few minor leaguers end up with a career in the majors. The number is less than 5%. It’s a staggering reality.
    So pitchers in the minors get used to batters swinging at pitches out of the strike zone, then they get called up to the majors, and major league hitters aren’t fooled as much. It has to be a shock to most pitchers. What now? Guys like Beede ask what now? They have to come into the strike zone more than they’ve ever had to their whole lives and they get rocked.

2. Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:38 am

weaklings

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:48 am

Ouch.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:49 am

Mac is going to change that!

3. unca_chuck said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:50 am

‘The same’ was as in failing in the biggest moments.

4. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 8:33 am

GS has been playing without a starter for 3 games now. In Igs place is Looney and they go deep into bench for guys like Cook Young and Bell. They aren’t playing 5 on 4—put your best 5 out there and see what happens.

Looney has become at least decent defender and rebounder despite zero O skills. Sadly he is best of their recent draft picks. McCaw is not an NBA player and Bell has very limited skill set, which does not include being able to switch out and guard smaller players. Jones spent another year in G-League alongside Boucher.
    This is not good.

Celts have allowed Cle to get this far, not good sign but hopefully send them packing today.

5. alleykat69 said, on May 27, 2018 at 8:39 am

Lets not bring up the Brady debate again. Montana will always be the king of the mountain ⛰ stomping his feet on Brady’s hands as he tries to get to the top..
    You lose 3 SB’s your less then a average Joe..

• willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 8:46 am

Or the Jordan one. No way Mike lets KD walk into a game clinching 3 right in his face, ever.

• blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 8:59 am

Ditto AK. I am too worn out from the last time arguing this BS. lulz

6. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 8:43 am

Blach still has best ERA/FIP of the 5, and lowest HR rate. So far he’s only given up 4 in 57 innings. As a team SF has still given up 2 fewer bombs than they have hit.
    Fox announcers sounded pretty impressed with them by end of game. 2 games out of first place still!
    And health of some valuable contributors about to improve to where they can join/rejoin team.

7. blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 9:05 am

If this is true, Pence may be gone from the Giants in 6 days. I hope the Giants grow a sack and make the right decision.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:09 am

I’ll be stunned if it happens. I just don’t see it happening.

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:11 am

I’d be stunned if they ate $12 million without at least taking a last look at him. He can’t be much worse than the field of flops they trot out there on a daily basis. Plus, he’s a pretty historic and beloved Giant…

8. James said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:23 am

McCutcheon’s monthly splits from 2017:

Longoria (8 errors!) has been no more productive, despite the 8 HRs, and is the less likely of the two to improve over the season.

NL offense is down a lot this year, so they’re both actually turning in disappointing, but ok performances so far.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:38 am

Pitchers are adjusting to launch-angle baseball.

• James said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:46 am

I haven’t checked it yet, but it seems like the high strike is being called a lot more this year. 95 MPH across the letters is tough.

• blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:58 am

Agree James. I cited his 8 errors last week. Not impressed with either acquisition.

• James said, on May 27, 2018 at 11:35 am

Still holding out hope that McC has a couple of good months. The two Brandons are not going to maintain their numbers over the entire season. Others need to to get hot.

• snarkk said, on May 27, 2018 at 11:23 am

So, if we go with those splits as predictive, Cutch will just go wild in June and July, crash and burn in August, and get back on track in September. At least he’s not on a 5 year deal like Longoria…

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2018 at 11:45 am

Longoria only has 2 homers in May.
      Looks like another horrific contract.
      He also just doesn’t look right in a Giant uniform…

9. Macdog said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:25 am

Romo gives up 3 runs in 1/3 inning in his latest start. Enough already.

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:32 am

seriously, this is so stupid.

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:41 am

It really is…
        Should be interesting here tomorrow night when the Flap morphs into DubHub.
        Could be the defining game of Harden’s career…

10. Macdog said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:38 am

I can’t imagine Pence not getting called back up and having one last shot with the Giants. If not, why are they wasting everyone’s time, especially Pence’s, by playing him in Sac and likely taking away playing time from their OF prospects when they could’ve just let him go already?

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:45 am

he developed a new swing, a swing that should have absolutely no impact on his play, that they will want to see at mlb level. Cutting him loose now is just some guy writing an article making stuff up trying to get people to re-tweet his bullshit.

11. djloo27 said, on May 27, 2018 at 10:51 am

That super-imposed strike zone box during live play is really annoying the fuck out of me.
    It should only be used on replays. Is it being done this way on every team’s telecasts now?

• blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 11:01 am

No, some have it to the right side of the screen. I want to say Houston’s telecast did that, but it might have been Philly.

12. mrsprtdude said, on May 27, 2018 at 11:12 am

Post of the day…”Uh no. Are you an idiot?”

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2018 at 11:19 am

To his “buddy” no less…

13. snarkk said, on May 27, 2018 at 11:14 am

Pence will be back.
    That contract is a siren’s song to Giants management.
    They’ll want to see whether his new uppercut means anything.
    Meanwhile, out in the field, he’s no better than Mac, and his arm stinks.
    Somebody will go on mystery injury DL so he can come up for at least 10 days for either a miraculous return or a swan song and coffee farewell…

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2018 at 11:25 am

They should let Minaj chill for 10 days on the phantom DL – put Cutch back in CF and Underpants in right when he’s called up. At least they’ll be back in defensive positions that they’re comfortable playing even if they aren’t any good at it anymore.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 1:28 pm

lulz!

14. snarkk said, on May 27, 2018 at 11:27 am

Since he was brought up recently, for the Rays, Arroyo has 15 ABs with splits:

.333/.444/.467

15. blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 12:43 pm

Here’s a more detailed post by Alex Pavlovic of what’s going on with Pence . . .

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Yeah, Pavlovic is the writer of the original story. He would, in theory, have one or more sources in the Giants organization.

16. blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Cubs fans don’t think we saw this regarding Craw’s bomb . . . Dumb tradition.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Everybody knows they’re keeping the real home run balls, so what’s the point of throwing the fake ones? It really is pretty silly.

17. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Never got in to weird lines of grass designs on fields. The A’s one today is just dumb.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 1:24 pm

Some think it’s cool. My mom does. I have a theory that some of my mom’s baseball enjoyment is seeing the well-manicured lawns the players play on.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 1:26 pm

I find those patterns distracting, especially today’s.

18. zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 1:31 pm

Watching the A’s, and listening to ‘Ray and the other K.’
    lqtm
    And Dallas Braden from his cubbyhole somewhere in the stadium.

19. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Braden isn’t bad and at least brings some energy to the other lifeless ones.

Btw, Harvey through 5/3 runs.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Yeah, Braden has grown on me.

20. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Rocks hit couple bombs and scored 3 in 1st, haven’t scored since though they’ve had RISP. Last inning he K’d Arenado looking with 95 heat.

21. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Wolters singled and then after pitching change scored Rox 4th run charged to Harvey who couldn’t finish 6th.

22. djloo27 said, on May 27, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Does the definition of a quality start begin and end right at the 6 inning mark?
    If you pitch 6 innings and give up 3 runs, then pitch the 7th and give up 3 more is it still a quality start?
    I guess so…

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 2:37 pm

no. You can’t give up more than 3 runs in the start AND you have to go at least 6.

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:29 pm

It’s strange – I knew that and then I started thinking about it and it doesn’t make sense.
        So you can pitch 8 perfect innings and give up a grand slam in the 9th and it’s not a QS.
        Doesn’t seem fair…

23. Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Buster is on pace for 7 bombs this season. You guys sure he’s worth all that dough?

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 2:53 pm

He hit a 410 foot out the other day. The home ballpark does cost him a few.

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Do you think he’s a “sure-fire” HOF-er like the announcer said yesterday?
      He’s basically having Munson’s career which was in decline at the time of his death.
      Even with the sympathy vote, I don’t think Munson was anywhere close to getting in…

• willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Loo I’d say so. Posey has been a much better hitter overall and has been best D catcher of his era. Now if he falls off as drastically as Munson did last 2 seasons of his career, I could see questions around him. I doubt that happens though.
        I do think at some point he could move to 1b where his power numbers might increase a bit.

24. Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 2:52 pm

very interested to see Pablo play 2nd tonight. Remember when Huff went the wrong way when he was playing there? Said it was instinct? Then turned out he was having panic attacks. I don’t know what that was all about…..

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 2:55 pm

He wrote a book about his issues, but I don’t think any of us read it.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 3:07 pm

“Baseball Junkie uses brutal honesty, humor, and first-person narration to draw an intimate portrait of life in the big leagues. Aubrey bares all, taking the reader inside the complex life and mind of a man as he balances victories with the crippling demons of addiction, divorce, anxiety, depression, and feelings of inferiority. It inspires each of us to seek more than what this world has to offer. To rise above mediocrity and achieve our true potential while staying focused on what really matters when the fame and excitement of the game fade with the sunset.”

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Huff is incredibly dumb. Read up on some of his political beliefs if you can stomach it.

25. Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 3:22 pm

i couldn’t come up with a way to root for the Cavs tonight, even with them being the easier road in the finals. I just hate Clev fans too much to ever root for their team.

26. Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 3:34 pm

I will appreciate a Lebron monster game if it should come to pass. He’s just incredible what he can do, basically all by himself, at his age……

27. zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 3:47 pm

A’s closer hits 99 on his fastball, and just mows through the D-Backs in the 9th.
    Time of game: 2 hours, 38 minutes.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 3:49 pm

A’s are 28-25 now.

28. Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 3:49 pm

look at this shit. Craw is literally teaching him how to do this. This can’t end well.

• blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 4:06 pm

I’m impressed with how good his feet move. Maybe it’s perception, but I think Craw is just telling him how he likes to receive the ball and showing him a quicker way to get it to him (“push” “shove” versus Pablo’s underhand toss).

That being said, he’s never played the position in an MLB, nor likely a minor league game. Regardless, he’s an athlete and Boch commented on how well he moves, so they’re trying this probably to get another bat in against a righty. Kelby = a good utility guy – is no starter, as his stats show. I’m looking forward to seeing Pablo play.

29. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Y Grandal over last 2+ seasons has twice as many HRs as Posey. Should he be making twice as much? Is he twice the player? Should their salaries be reversed?

I’ve decided I no longer care how much any player makes. Club owners, as in case of Giants, are billionaires and have ever increasing share of profits that is unlikely to change in near future. Contracts are negotiated and signed in good faith by players and bean counters on the other side.

I do care how a player performs which is why I would have waived Pence last year and would do it again, now.

30. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Alou bio is fabulous read. His take on what happened during Giants days as a player is terrific.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 3:58 pm

I’ll look for that. My local library is great at getting new books.

• blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Willie, did any part of the book mention the pollution (mostly lead, but plenty of other chemicals) in the town where he grew up, Bajos de Haina? Apparently, it is one of the most polluted places on earth. Pure Earth Institute names it 3rd worst polluted area, after Dzerzhinsk, Russia, and Chernobyl, Ukraine,

• willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 4:57 pm

No. He had extremely “humble” beginnings in life, small (15 x 15) house with uneven cement floor and dirt floor kitchen. He had uncle in the Army who he stayed with for awhile in Santo Domingo.

31. Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 4:11 pm

truth

32. Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 4:17 pm

15 years ago TODAY. Jon Miller is a San Francisco treasure.

• blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 4:36 pm

That is fucking hilarious Flavor. For whatever reason, I don’t recall this play.

• xoot said, on May 27, 2018 at 4:51 pm

That Miller call was on the radio side, iirc.

• xoot said, on May 27, 2018 at 4:54 pm

back in those days I had only broadcast ND TV (limited the kids’ tube time) and we used to listen to night games on the radio. I’m sure we heard Miller make that call.

33. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 27, 2018 at 4:27 pm

I thought Sandoval at 2b was an emergency situation deal but his in the LU tonight? I think he’ll handle the regular plays fine but don’t expect any DP to be turned. What’s the deal he gets 3abs and Tomlinson replaces him? Can’t say Bochy’s not thinking outside the box. I guess.

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:04 pm

he’s just trying to get another bat in the LU who can hit this guy. And if anyone can pull this off it’s Panda. If it doesn’t work, Bochy can eat it. I like the move.

34. alleykat69 said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Really is turning into a novelty act with Panda this year,3B,1B,Pitcher, now 2nd are you kidding me on this one? should be entertaining though.So what’s up on him not catching? Which is more a natural position for him..

35. Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Twinner would have loved this shit. He loved him some Panda, madly.

36. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:23 pm

WTF? Russell can’t throw out Sando?

37. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:24 pm

2 hopper to SS I don’t get it.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:30 pm

He was too casual about the play.

38. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:25 pm

MTO baby line drive base hit to RF yaha

39. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:31 pm

ESPN flashing bombs across bottom of screen today. I counted 30 earlier (45 yesterday) on 119 runs scored, avg. 8.5 per 14 games.
    Twin used to say Giants needed 4.3 to win. Last night I think announcers said Giants had 22-5 record scoring 4 or more and were awful when they didn’t.

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:33 pm

they are 0-24 (I think) this year except for those two 1-0 wins right off the bat. Marty Lurie gave me that stat on the radio today I didn’t have time to confirm it

40. Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Blach wasting little time in coughing up a run. God I hope this guy isn’t the future of our pitching staff.

41. blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Strange ricochet.

42. Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:36 pm

The nouveau riche Cubs fans are out in force tonight. Blach with nothing so far.

43. Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:37 pm

That was right there, Contreras, sit your ass down.

44. zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Blach has a whole lot of nothing tonight.

45. Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Is posey hurt?

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Sore hip.

46. Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:40 pm

God Blach sucks.

47. zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:40 pm

Man, Blach didn’t field any of those.

• willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:47 pm

I think the last one would have been routine out if it hadn’t hit off his glove. but yeah stonefingers inning saved by nice running grab by MTO.

48. blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:44 pm

Idiot broadcaster acts like Mac isn’t capable of that play.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Ha!
      I kind of like Vasgersian.

49. Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Blach, Stratton, Suarez…alll these guys are just guys, man. None of them were shit in the minor leagues, none were ever national prospects. We just have to hope for the best and hope doesn’t get you shit in baseball.

50. blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Frickin’ Chatwood is dangerous.

51. Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:58 pm

Classic Giants. Bases loaded, nobody out, zero runs in.

• Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Even more classic, the last out would’ve resulted in a run if either of the previous two batters had hit it. Nope.

52. zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 5:58 pm

That’s a spot where Longoria needed to make a statement.

53. Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:03 pm

The Cubs batters just have to be salivating at the prospect of facing this lollipopper.

54. blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Trade Panik. HAHAHAHA . . .

55. Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:09 pm

There’s several spots throughout any ESPN broadcast when the game is literally of tertiary concern. The might show you some, they might not. We’d all much rather listen to A-Rod do an interview, or hear softballer extraordinaire Mendoza wax knowledgeable about the game of baseball. It’s really great.

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:10 pm

it’s amazing that someone who makes a shitload of money has decided those interviews are a good decision

• blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Good observation LJ and I agree someone in the ESPN hierarchy has made a conscious decision that the MLB product isn’t sufficiently interesting and/or compelling, where they’ve added these interviews (along with 3 broadcasters, two of them providing so called “color”).

• Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Exactlyt Blade. The game itself is not enough, ESPN has concluded.

56. Flavor said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm

When Cutch comes up who among us wouldn’t prefer to have GorkHead batting instead. That is a stunning turn of favor in just one baseball season

57. zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Blach, go away.

58. Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:33 pm

For a guy who has to have good control to have any chance, Blach is remarkably inconsistent in that regard.

59. blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:39 pm

Blach is so lucky (so far) that the Cubs have been hapless all season in these situations.

60. Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Talk about Jekyll and Hyde, I give you Ty Blach.

61. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:40 pm

pitched himself into it and then out of it.

62. Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Cavs right there at the half.

63. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:41 pm

How many LOB btw both teams in 3 innings so far?

64. alleykat69 said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:42 pm

That was some Houdini act by Blach. Gets himself in trouble with 3 straight walks to start the inning, then makes quality pitches,go figure

65. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:47 pm

Another single on warm night in Windy. Past time for somebody to launch one, esp with all these guys on.
    bochy said 8 LOB in first 3.arrggh

66. zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Pablo’s a nothing hitter from the right side.

67. zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Blach, please please go away.

68. zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:01 pm

And…..most of Giants Nation flips over to the basketball game.

• Lurker John said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:10 pm

BOOM! LOL

69. alleykat69 said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Well now one more batter for Blach might have been a better scenario..

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:03 pm

You didn’t like the reliever with the 5.92 ERA coming in?

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:06 pm

I guess I wasn’t thinking that through.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Pick your poison: lousy starter or lousy reliever.

70. willedav said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Celts playing some dumb b-ball. Up 4 at half they have 10 points in 9 minutes. Down 3.

71. alleykat69 said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Time to pull the lousy reliever..

72. alleykat69 said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Cutch sucks!!!
    Can of corn 🌽 you corn holer!!

• blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:31 pm

The good news is that his contract is only this season. Meanwhile, Longo is with us for 5 (including this season). Oy vey!

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:32 pm

He’s been awful in every way.
      Zumie was right early in the season when he called McCutchen, Longoria and Jackson “the 3 duds”…

73. blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:28 pm

That touched Cutch’s glove and he whiffed (just like his at bats).

• blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:32 pm

When it comes to him, I am prophetic.

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:32 pm

You predicted well!

• blade3colorado said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:32 pm

🙂

74. unca_chuck said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Celtic epic choke job tonight.

75. zumiee said, on May 27, 2018 at 7:59 pm

And the Celtics lay an egg.