Winding Down

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 30, 2018

Last night was just a bad game. Wash it off and move on. One thing we all agreed on was that this was going to be a brutal road trip. So we should have all built up a resistance for this stretch. I actually think Bum returning could have a more positive effect than just one start every 5 games. This staff needs a leader badly, he will make them all a little better. And at this point who wouldn’t rather see Dereck Rodriguez in for Smargerine? Because that’s probably the newest member to The 5 Fives.

Besides the loss, Longo studded out. Posey finally hit a ball out. Today isn’t going to be any better with Flyball Holly pitching but if we don’t play defense and only hit solo bombs it doesn’t matter who’s starting for us in Colorado.

1. willedav said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:46 am

Hoped for positive impact of new pitching coach yet to show much. Gearrin is still awful, none of the 5s save Holland have gotten better as season has gone along; Strat and Suarez mostly worse.

Nice to hear Kuip get fired up on radio over couple no doubt bombs.

2. willedav said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:48 am

and yes D. Didn’t see Specs gaffe but Cutch looks like he’s sleepwalking. If he had made that diving snag night before Strick might have gotten out of the inning unscathed.
    Oh and Ian Desmond needs to eat some dirt. He is way too comfortable up there. He’s batting .189 for the season but with 7 runs/7 rbis vs SF in 6 games.
    Scouting report?

• Flavor said, on May 30, 2018 at 7:36 am

I watched that Cutch no-catch several times. He was right there. His head was facing the ball. He didn’t even need to jump (though he did). Still don’t know how he didn’t catch that.

3. willedav said, on May 30, 2018 at 7:19 am

48 bombs yesterday 149 runs scored. Only other West team to lose was LA, as Arrieta shut them out for 7 innings. He has ERA of 2.16 and 5-2 record.
    Phils btw are 30-22 (!) which would have them on top of NL West by game and a half. And next stop is ATT.

4. unca_chuck said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:12 am

The diff between center and right isn’t as epically drastic as Cutch is making it. Sure you get a little more curve on some balls, but Cutch is butchering the job in RF. He’s about 80% on lazy fly balls, let alone harder ones. Like last night. Hw was there and simply missed it.

Specs’ error was a pisser because it allowed 3 more runs?

5. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:57 am

Not mentioned too much here, but along with Madbum coming back, we also have Panik likely coming back.

Consequently, Pablo will likely not see too much time at 2nd anymore, pitching, nor managing the team . . .

6. snarkk said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:08 am

3 in 5 quickly becoming a distant memory.
    Though Lakob certainly has more cojones that Giants ownership to actually work towards a continually winning roster, you have to enjoy the Dubs in this moment, it won’t last forever, either…

7. Flavor said, on May 30, 2018 at 12:49 pm

ads from the 70’s were just solid gold man. What the fuck is this

8. unca_chuck said, on May 30, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Hah!

9. Macdog said, on May 30, 2018 at 2:41 pm

If you think the Giants have it bad right now . . .

10. zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 3:16 pm

Our buddy Duvall hit a grandslam vs. the D-Backs today.

• zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 3:38 pm

His batting avg. is at .187, though….

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2018 at 4:12 pm

He was Bass Baldy’s favorite…

11. Flavor said, on May 30, 2018 at 5:22 pm

12. Flavor said, on May 30, 2018 at 5:57 pm

Fucking Flyball Holly

13. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 5:57 pm

Damn. No doubt about that one.

14. xoot said, on May 30, 2018 at 5:58 pm

no outs in the bottom of the first, boom, down 3 zip.

15. zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 5:58 pm

The Obligatory Arenado Damage Against The Giants (trademark).

16. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Holland has nothing. Just like his previous starts against the Sherpas.

17. zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:00 pm

Beede is in the house!

18. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:01 pm

Our bullpen wont last at this rate. Just my take, Holland will have to wear this as long as possible.

19. zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Roseanne said she was on Ambien at the time.
    The company that makes Ambien released a statement: “Racism is not a known side effect of Ambien.”

20. zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Nice baserunning from Craw.

• James said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:22 pm

From the Rockies, too.

21. zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:21 pm

More lousy bunting from a Giants pitcher.

22. xoot said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Beede’s last outing was his best in a long time, they say. Apparently he pitches more quickly now. Good idea for a guy with a pea brain to stop thinking about it and just pitch. Gearrin needs to heed.

23. zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Rockies pitcher gets the bunt down, no problem.

24. Flavor said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Kruk and Kuip saying ‘Cutch is a “notoriously slow starter” and “it’s about time for him to heat up” doesn’t really hold water. His May splits are excellent and we’re nearly into June

25. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Good to see Cutch get a couple of hits.

26. xoot said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:42 pm

I enjoy watching Cutch and Longo play, the same way I enjoy watching Buster. All three are just terrifically talented professionals. Then I remember that the game is a competition.

The new and improved Badass Belt, even with occasional help from Crawford, is not going to get it done in the long run. Hanson and Panik were supposed to start at Sac tonight, I believe.

27. xoot said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:52 pm

a Giant bunt. Next thing you know, Holland will go 5 1/3.

28. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Fascinating bit of trivia by the Rockies broadcast team – Panda is the heaviest player to ever play 2nd base. Second and third place?

Dave Parker (1/3 of an inning) and Cecil Fielder (5 2/3 innings).

29. Flavor said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Gorkey’s looked pretty gorky in that at bat but somehow niggles a walk. Man, who would have thought Holland would have outlasted Gray in this game……

30. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Wow! This is reminiscent of the Rockies a few years ago when their starting staff would do this on a regular basis.

31. Flavor said, on May 30, 2018 at 7:02 pm

bummer. He scalded that ball.

• James said, on May 30, 2018 at 7:05 pm

That’s 3 times this series with runners on SF has hit a line drive at an infielder in a close game. Giants have looked terrible, but chance always plays a big role in any lousy stretch.

32. James said, on May 30, 2018 at 7:16 pm

He just hit Belt 3 more times.

33. Flavor said, on May 30, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Longo likey Colorado….

34. zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 7:37 pm

He went five!

• Flavor said, on May 30, 2018 at 7:44 pm

he’s our ace, whattya expect?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Lulz

35. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 7:38 pm

He was gorked. Ha.

36. Macdog said, on May 30, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Great play, Gorks!

• willedav said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:27 pm

on radio Kuip had to apologize because he said “base hit” before Gorks dove and caught it.

37. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 7:52 pm

Need some more insurance runs.

38. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Craw saved that run.

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:31 pm

Sure did, although the throw to third was silly…

• blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Yeah, don’t know what he was thinking there.

39. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Loo, I am still advocating for the trade you proposed last night or similar. We are last or near last in all NL major pitching categories. Madbum coming back wont change that dynamic much. I just hope he pitches lights out for the next 2 months to up his potential trade value. Similarly, when Cueto comes back, I hope the same for him.

• zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:48 pm

I can’t see Baer approving a trade of Bum this year. I could see it happening next year.

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Thanks, Blade. I realize it’s just another of my inane concoctions, but I think it makes sense for many reasons and for both teams. I haven’t heard Cueto’s name mentioned anywhere in a deal. Guess that’ll change if he can prove himself healthy before the deadline. I don’t wanna part with Bum…

• willedav said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:54 pm

well first these guys have to actually pitch and be effective, which hasn’t happened for awhile.
      Then it would become what you could get for either one…I just don’t see Yanks giving up top prospects.
      One decent OF maybe but that’s it.

Other side of the equation: you trade either one of them or both, whoinell pitches last half of season and next? There is just no way the as is 5 survive, pen neither. So you really are dooming them.

No thanks not interested.

40. willedav said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:49 pm

strick don’t mess around that’s trouble in the on deck circle.
    Dang it!

41. djloo27 said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Good old fashioned TORTURE…

42. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Oh oh . . . in the back of my mind, I knew Arenado might have the opportunity to have the last word.

43. Macdog said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:52 pm

Yay!

• zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:54 pm

44. James said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:55 pm

4 games out — they’re back in contention!

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:58 pm

Big difference between 4 and 6.
      I believe it’s 2…

45. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Weird game, although normal for Sherpaland. Rockies tag us for 5 hits and 3 runs in the first inning, than add another 2 hits and a run in the 2nd . . . Fast forward for the rest of the game, they go to sleep. Gray is their stud pitcher and golden boy, but has been anything but, against the Giants. Yeah, as Flav said – I would have bet the house on Holland leaving before him.

As I said, weird game, but we’ll take ’em anyway we can.

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2018 at 8:59 pm

It was weird.
      The whole game felt like an acid trip…

• blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:01 pm

I agree and I have taken a few trips in my past (although this one just didn’t include me mistaking Edinburgh castle for Disneyland. Ha.).

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:04 pm

In 1974, my buddy and I were preparing to board a Big Mac for a flight to Jupiter…

• blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:14 pm

On acid, everything makes sense. Me and some Air Force buddies were driving to Edinburgh – high on acid – when we rounded a highway bend and observed the Edinburgh castle on a bluff overlooking the city. It was all lit up at night and we all lost it when we saw it and someone blurted out, “We took a wrong turn, we’re in Anaheim.” Hilarious.

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:31 pm

I still have one friend who I can share acid recollections with such as admiring the skill and work ethic of a particular elevator we had become attached to…

• xoot said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:44 pm

surf on acid and your board will change shape under your feet, depending on what you need–long and sleek for speed, short and quick for cutbacks and bottom turns, etc.

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:53 pm

I don’t doubt that for a second…

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2018 at 7:08 am

When I was a kid (about 12 through 13) in Hawaii, I surfed all the time. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I wasn’t into partying, just sports and keeping my brother out of trouble. Ha.

46. willedav said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Meanwhile A’s have 0 runs 0 hits 4 errors through 6 and half before few thousand.
    Rays apparently will take out Eovaldi after 70 pitches making first start since last August.

• xoot said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:23 pm

sort of fun watching Duffy and Arroyo play for the Rays

• blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:30 pm

Thanks for sharing that. I miss Duffy. I still think it was a big mistake trading him. Glad he is doing outstanding for the Rays (leading the team with a high batting average and OBP). Similarly, in far less appearances, Arroyo is doing well. I’m happy for both of them.

• blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:09 pm

Is it wrong for me to hope that Alphabet misses more than one start? I actually believe that Beede will do better than him. Similarly, I have no problem in putting Pence on the 25 man roster . . . and, inserting him in right field, with Cutch taking a breather in a platoon role. Regarding Melanoma, I have zero expectations.

• zumiee said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:09 pm

Either Jackson or Blanco is going to get a fake injury.

• snarkk said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:18 pm

Hopefully both. I’d DFA Blanco. Nobody picks his ass up. Might as well just send him to Sac, that’s where he’ll end up…

• blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Me too . . . good riddance to both.

• snarkk said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:12 pm

I’m ready and eager for some big time roster moves. Shake this S up…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Obviously we’ve missed Bum and Cueto, but I’m also really looking forward to Hanson being back….

47. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Per Schulman the “Giants ended an 11-17 May on Wednesday night. They are 1 ½ games closer to first place than they were when the month began”. Still in this. Humm Baby!

48. mrsprtdude said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Nothing much to add but I wanted to see Clint!!!! Thanks Zumie!

49. Macdog said, on May 30, 2018 at 9:48 pm

50. snarkk said, on May 30, 2018 at 10:45 pm

Just broke down and got annual subscription to the Athletic, 50% off today. $30 for the year.
    Already read a really good, and long, article on Giants farm system. Not disastrous, top 4 teams are combined over .500 in league; but overall, not very good, either. Most importantly IMO, not a standout star who looks like a future MLB stud. Still think a blockbuster trade at the deadline with Cueto and or Bum for a ton of prospects would be the best way to go…

• snarkk said, on May 30, 2018 at 10:48 pm

Also,, good article on Spring football at Cal, and prospects for the fall. Maybe good enough for a bowl bid, but things looking up for consistent, respectable play, and more improvement on defense, which improved last year to 78th in Div I, much better than the 100+ horrible ranking under Sonny Dykes…